Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for new goggles

Poster: A snowHead
@AndreSilva, I’ve got all the Flight Deck Prizm lenses, and I’ve never needed anything darker than the Sapphire, Torch, Jade. At the low light end, I’ve got the Rose, Hi-Pink and Hi-Yellow. I prefer the Hi-Yellow to the Hi-Pink when it’s really snowing, and the Rose for when it’s dull but not snowing. If your going for two lenses, the one of the middle 3, and the Hi-Pink would be my choices, as the Hi-Yellow is painful if there is any sun at all.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmmm... just checking Oakley website, apparently there is a new lens called "Persimmon" that it is even more clear than the Hi Pink.
Have anyone tried that one ?

https://www.oakley.com/nl-nl/product/WGOO7050?variant=888392447210
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PowderAdict wrote:
@AndreSilva, I’ve got all the Flight Deck Prizm lenses, and I’ve never needed anything darker than the Sapphire, Torch, Jade. At the low light end, I’ve got the Rose, Hi-Pink and Hi-Yellow. I prefer the Hi-Yellow to the Hi-Pink when it’s really snowing, and the Rose for when it’s dull but not snowing. If your going for two lenses, the one of the middle 3, and the Hi-Pink would be my choices, as the Hi-Yellow is painful if there is any sun at all.

Hey @PowderAdict!
Nice that you have them all, so you can adivse us all Very Happy
Do you see much difference between Sapphire, Torch, Jade ? Which one would u go for the everyday ski ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AndreSilva, it's important to remember that everyone's eyes are different. I tried both yellow lenses and rose lenses in flat light, neither did the job. Yet the High Pink are great. Other people swear by yellow lenses for flat light. It really does depend upon how your eyes react to tints etc.

The first pair of goggles I bought were a cheapish pair off Amazon. They got good reviews. They don't fog up. Great in bright light; worse than useless in flat light. So I tried someone's Oakley Rose Prizms in flat light. They just didn't work for me. Yet the owner of the goggles got on great with them.

My advice would be to try other peoples goggles when you are on the slopes in different light conditions then, and only then can you be sure those lenses will work for you.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
But hey... what about this ???
Any thoughts ? Madeye-Smiley

https://whitelines.com/snowboard-gear/news-previews/oakley-prizm-react-preview.html
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great! Now try to buy a pair....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here is a good video from Oakley explaining the difference between the various PRIZM Iridium lenses:

http://youtube.com/v/-_tjkGjHSPQ

As others have said, the Sapphire, Torch and Jade are all pretty much the same, and cover most conditions. Just a question of what colour you like.

I have Flight Deck goggles and 3 lenses:

Black: Very bright light — spring, at the top of the mountain
Sapphire — pretty universal, sun, sun/cloud, cloud
Hi Pink — for low light and whiteouts.

I really practiced swapping the lenses in and out of the goggles; but this is *really* tricky even at home, never mind on a mountainside when it's snowing and getting dark.

So my solution is to have 2 goggles and 3 lenses. Thus, in the morning I can look at the forecast, and what's I'm doing that day, and decide what to do. I always have the Sapphire; so it's just a question of putting the Black or the Hi Pink lenses into the 2nd goggles. And I have some simple, thin cotton gloves off eBay to stop them getting all covered in fingerprints when I swap them out.

Then I pop the 2nd goggle into my backpack — but be careful, if you don't watch out, you can break them when sitting on a chair lift and leaning back.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does anyone make decent photochromatic lens goggles? I used to have a pair of Bolle nova with a such a lens and they were okay I suppose.... Just wondered if the lens technology had progressed at all?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Roguevfr wrote:
Great! Now try to buy a pair....

Indeed... I would love that, but apparently it's not going to be released this year Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Poogle wrote:
Here is a good video from Oakley explaining the difference between the various PRIZM Iridium lenses:

http://youtube.com/v/-_tjkGjHSPQ

As others have said, the Sapphire, Torch and Jade are all pretty much the same, and cover most conditions. Just a question of what colour you like.

I have Flight Deck goggles and 3 lenses:

Black: Very bright light — spring, at the top of the mountain
Sapphire — pretty universal, sun, sun/cloud, cloud
Hi Pink — for low light and whiteouts.

I really practiced swapping the lenses in and out of the goggles; but this is *really* tricky even at home, never mind on a mountainside when it's snowing and getting dark.

So my solution is to have 2 goggles and 3 lenses. Thus, in the morning I can look at the forecast, and what's I'm doing that day, and decide what to do. I always have the Sapphire; so it's just a question of putting the Black or the Hi Pink lenses into the 2nd goggles. And I have some simple, thin cotton gloves off eBay to stop them getting all covered in fingerprints when I swap them out.

Then I pop the 2nd goggle into my backpack — but be careful, if you don't watch out, you can break them when sitting on a chair lift and leaning back.

Nice video, thanks!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@AndreSilva, use the search facility for 'Oakley lenses' . There was a detailed thread last year I believe with frim advice for which two lenses.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
re magnetic attachments, there is a sport pursuit sale of Red Bull goggles that use a Spect Magnetron (inc. some with a a spare lens) https://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/red-bull-goggles19

Is this a credible system, or is it a usual sell on of unwanted stock?

Isn't there a possibility of your lens flying off if you fall hard enough?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@AndreSilva, two lenses enough IMO. And no I don't think you are too focused on the extremes.

Unless you've got plenty of dough and want to be swapping lenses out frequently.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bought a pair of these last year with 2 addtional lenses added, lenses are magnetic and so far so good, really pleased with them..
https://outdoormaster.com/gb/product/ski-goggles-pro/
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@AndreSilva,

I would *not* go for the Black Iridium if you are only going to buy 2 lenses.

As you can see from my post above, I have 3 lenses: Black, Sapphire and Hi Pink. I have only used the Black a few times — when it's been towards spring with the sun high in the ski, midday, and high in the mountains. The rest of the time, the Sapphire is fine. The Hi Pink is very useful towards dusk, low-light and when it's snowing.

Your go-to lenses will be one of: Sapphire, Torch or Jade. You will use one of those say 75% of the time.
snow report
Poogle wrote:
@AndreSilva,

I would *not* go for the Black Iridium if you are only going to buy 2 lenses.

As you can see from my post above, I have 3 lenses: Black, Sapphire and Hi Pink. I have only used the Black a few times — when it's been towards spring with the sun high in the ski, midday, and high in the mountains. The rest of the time, the Sapphire is fine. The Hi Pink is very useful towards dusk, low-light and when it's snowing.

Your go-to lenses will be one of: Sapphire, Torch or Jade. You will use one of those say 75% of the time.

Totally agree with this. I used the Jade in Austria this Feb in blue sky sunny conditions all week (bar the last day), and I never felt I needed the Black, and I have sensitive eyes. The last day was pretty grey and dull, overcast with rain at village level, and the Jade was still fine - could I have done with a Rose or Hi Pink that last day ? Maybe, but I never felt disadvantaged with just the Jade.
snow report
I love the Prizm Black Iridium and use them most of the time. I have sensitive eyes though. Not massively sensitive just a bit. Prizm Rose is the other lens I use when the sun refuses to come out.
ski holidays
Is anyone potentially interested in buying a pair of brand new, in box, Dragon X2 goggles with a choice of 4 brand new Lumalens lenses?

Frame/strap: https://cdn.skatepro.com/product/440/dragon-x2-ink-lumalens-blue-ion-ski-goggles-u2.jpg

Lenses available:

Green Ion
Purple Ion
Blue Ion
Amber Ion

Mixture of low light, mid light and high light characteristics to the lenses. Excellent interchange system.
latest report
Well, as the Prizm React is not coming out this season, I decided to go for the flight deck with Saphire Iridium and Persimmon.

I planned to get the Hi Pink instead of the Persimmon, but apparently it has been discontinued and the Persimmon has the same low light target as the Hi Pink.

Now on the search to find some deals Little Angel
latest report
Isn't the persimmon the same as the old non-prizm "default low-light" ?
If so, I'd say it was a backward step compared to the hi-pink or prizm rose.
snow report
Roguevfr wrote:
Isn't the persimmon the same as the old non-prizm "default low-light" ?
If so, I'd say it was a backward step compared to the hi-pink or prizm rose.

I guess it's different, I know that this is Prizm for sure.
Do you think it's a bad choice?

https://www.oakley.com/nl-nl/product/WGOO7050?variant=888392447210
snow report
Not a bad choice as such, I just think it's a bit old school as far as lens colour has evolved.
It shouldn't be to hard to find a pair with hi-pink if that's the colour you want, as its probably the least popular as a single lens .
ski holidays
Roguevfr wrote:
Not a bad choice as such, I just think it's a bit old school as far as lens colour has evolved.
It shouldn't be to hard to find a pair with hi-pink if that's the colour you want, as its probably the least popular as a single lens .

Yeah... In fact there is only one available at oakley and in major dutch retailers, but tje frame is too pink for me rolling eyes

https://www.oakley.com/nl-nl/product/WGOO7050?variant=888392405692
snow report
AndreSilva wrote:
Roguevfr wrote:

Yeah... In fact there is only one available at oakley and in major dutch retailers, but tje frame is too pink for me rolling eyes

The Flight Deck are brilliant Goggles.

The Prizm Hi-Pink is a great Overcast/Storm lens - but not a good all rounder........The Prizm Rose would be much better in that regard.

If you like a mirror finish - then look at Torch/Sapphire/Jade...also a decent all condition lens, but with a sun bias.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 15-10-19 19:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Plenty on Ebay.co.uk , £139 with hi-pink, xm or original on there.
snow conditions
Old Fartbag wrote:
AndreSilva wrote:
Roguevfr wrote:

The Flight Deck are brilliant Goggles.

The Prizm Hi-Pink is a great Overcast/Storm lens - but not a good all rounder........The Prizm Rose would be much better in that regard.

If you like a mirror finish - then look at Torch/Sapphire/Jade...also a decent all condition lens, but with a sun bias.

The idea is to get the hi-pink or persimmon AND the sapphire Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
AndreSilva wrote:

Perfect!
ski holidays
Quote:

Yeah, I understand that, but flight decks don't come with 2 lenses, so you're going to have to buy a pair with one lens , and buy the other one you require. If the hi-pink isn't being produced any more, then its presumably going to be harder to get that singly. You'll probably buy a goggle WITH hi-pink installed cheaper than one with the sapphire.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bought Oakley goggles for the prism lense quality (which is very good) but changing the lenses is a right pain in the rear...even with practice it is hard to get right (and feels like if you do them too often , they will lose their seating if that makes sense...)

Someone on last years birthday bash had goggles with quick change magnetic lenses and they were much better.

Blister gear raves about Anon goggles which have this system.
snow conditions
I don't rate them at all.
ski holidays
I have the Anon M2 goggles with older lenses - I have a "red sonar" which is a mirrored lens, a lot like the Oakley sapphire, and a yellow lens which is like Oakley's hi-pink. I love my goggles, the magnetic quick change system is easy even one-handed with gloves, and the lenses absolutely never pop out when I don't want them to. The new Anon lenses are made by Zeiss and I believe the optical quality is even better (prices are also a bit higher). I know that the Oakley's are very well-received here, and I haven't compared the two myself, but if I lost my goggles I'd buy the same again.
snow conditions
I moved from Oakley to Anon; I really like the ability to change the lens quickly.

Can't tell any difference in lens quality either.
ski holidays
Goggles for snow & bitter cold, sunnies at all other times Very Happy
I tried the entire selection at Decathlon & all of them had some restriction of peripheral vision, I stick with my Bolle safety specs from Screwfix, they perform really well, including keeping wind out of my eyes, no restriction of vision and cheap enough to be disposable.
ski holidays
@Mosha Marc, Oakley Flightdeck Prizms take about 15 seconds to change the lens wink That said I recently bought a second pair of frames with black iridium prizm lens in Snowinn sale, I have hi-pink and also blue sapphire but the foam is a pain when it gets wet (face plant in deep powder), they then steam up so handy for quick swap over if required. Best goggles i've ever had, dont know how folks wear sunnies, eye watering an issue for me when -10C or colder (and also cold face) plus much better peripheral vision in goggles imo.
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
@Mosha Marc, Oakley Flightdeck Prizms take about 15 seconds to change the lens wink That said I recently bought a second pair of frames with black iridium prizm lens in Snowinn sale, I have hi-pink and also blue sapphire but the foam is a pain when it gets wet (face plant in deep powder), they then steam up so handy for quick swap over if required. Best goggles i've ever had, dont know how folks wear sunnies, eye watering an issue for me when -10C or colder (and also cold face) plus much better peripheral vision in goggles imo.

Hmm - 15 seconds ? you must be better than me at changing them... I would say closer to a couple of minutes under no stress in a hotel room... trying to do that on a lift would be nigh on impossible I reckon.

They come off easy - but getting the replacement lense on is not straightforward - getting the edges in correctly takes time.

And by the time you are done - they are covered in fingerprints...

Two videos

Anon -
http://youtube.com/v/VEXCU5BVDQY
Oakley - http://youtube.com/watch?time_continue=76&v=_pq5PZFpBEI
snow report
Sunglasses were fine when only wearing these and no helmet. Now with a helmet the air gets 'trapped' in your face area and blows into the eyes way more so goggles all the time for me. (Plus sunglasses and helmets are a no-no obviously.)
snow conditions
@sheffskibod, I never do it on a lift (involves messing with rucksack etc), always inside a lift station if blowing a hooly or at lunch etc. TBPH not often during the day unless weather really deteriorates quickly, usually can make a decision first thing and stick with it. Seriously really quick - deffo not 2 mins, I'm not over cautious with them, I just rip them open and it's never caused an issue to date. wink
latest report
I switched from Oakley to Vola and am very happy with them including the ease of changing lenses. They will have a magnetic lens version for this winter too but not tried them.
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:

Hi Marky!
is Snowinn legit/reliable ? I saw some nice sales in there, but I never bought anything. Do you recommend it ?
snow report
AndreSilva wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:

Hi Marky!
is Snowinn legit/reliable ? I saw some nice sales in there, but I never bought anything. Do you recommend it ?

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=142588
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy