Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for new goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Hello guys.

I don't know about you, but I am already getting into the ski spirit as the summer is going toward it's end!
It's time for me to get new a goggle, the one I have are a very old and basic Smith with no interchangeable lens.
I really don't know much about goggles, as long as there is the possibility for replacing the lens for sunny and foggy days, I guess it should be ok right ?
Which one do you guys recommend ? I have quiet a big head, my helmet is XL Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anon M4 have objectively the best lens changing system - magnetic lenses that come off in 1 sec and go back on in less than 1 sec. Quite expensive.

Oakley (eg. Flight Deck or Line Miner being some of their premier goggle models) make excellent lenses. The Prizm system is believed by many to be the best quality lens out there. The lens changing system can be a little fiddly though. You get unbelievable peripheral vision with the Flight Decks. Quite expensive.

The Dragon X2 is the goggle that I have. It's amazing and I can highly recommend it. The Lumalens lenses are really great. It has a neat little changing system. Not as quick as the Anon but probably quicker than the Oakleys. Probably not as wide peripheral vision as the Oakleys, but I haven't noticed it being a problem for me. Is less expensive than both of the above goggles.

The above lenses all have an "XL" or large shape/size as default. I'm sure there are others out there too, but I would say the models listed here are some of the premier goggle models from three of the biggest companies. I'm not sure about Smith or other manufacturers, I'm sure they have excellent offerings too.

See if you can check some out and fiddle with the lens changing systems to see which ones you like. The Anon M4 really are something else in terms of interchanging lens.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I just picked up a pair of Smith I/OX Chromapop Mag for £64 "like new" from Amazon Warehouse. Maybe not as good as the Anon, but... £64...?

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/snow-sports/best-ski-goggles
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It can be worth finding which goggles work best with your helmet. Smith Goggles integrate well with the Smith helmets... I presume Oakley goggles work well with Oakley helmets? Of course the main thing is they should look cool Cool
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
karansaraf wrote:
Anon M4 have objectively the best lens changing system - magnetic lenses that come off in 1 sec and go back on in less than 1 sec. Quite expensive.

I haven't tried Anon, but my Summit ones must be fairly similar, you just lift one lens off and the other one clicks into place and self-locates so you don't even need to line it up particularly well.

https://www.summitworldwide.eu/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Riccardo wrote:
I just picked up a pair of Smith I/OX Chromapop Mag for £64 "like new" from Amazon Warehouse. Maybe not as good as the Anon, but... £64...?

Yep that's an amazing deal! Well played.

MancSkier wrote:
It can be worth finding which goggles work best with your helmet. Smith Goggles integrate well with the Smith helmets... I presume Oakley goggles work well with Oakley helmets? Of course the main thing is they should look cool Cool

Absolutely. I think goggles these days do tend to fit with most helmets, and if you wear an XL then any of the large goggles mentioned here should be absolutely fine, but it is definitely worth taking your helmet with you when you go to try them on. I took my goggles with me when I went to buy a new helmet earlier this year. For what it's worth, my X2 has worked perfectly with my old Giro and new Anon helmets, and with a friend's Smith helmet.

But MancSkier is right - the main thing is that your goggles look cool.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Riccardo wrote:

Wow, that's a steal!!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the detailed response my friend!

I'm checking the Oakley Flight Deck, looks sick and it is quite expensive indeed... found between 160 and 200 euros, but I guess I'm willing to spend
Question is: there are so many different lenses out there... if I had to choose only 2, which ones should I go with ?

karansaraf wrote:

Oakley (eg. Flight Deck or Line Miner being some of their premier goggle models) make excellent lenses. The Prizm system is believed by many to be the best quality lens out there. The lens changing system can be a little fiddly though. You get unbelievable peripheral vision with the Flight Decks. Quite expensive.

The Dragon X2 is the goggle that I have. It's amazing and I can highly recommend it. The Lumalens lenses are really great. It has a neat little changing system. Not as quick as the Anon but probably quicker than the Oakleys. Probably not as wide peripheral vision as the Oakleys, but I haven't noticed it being a problem for me. Is less expensive than both of the above goggles.

The above lenses all have an "XL" or large shape/size as default. I'm sure there are others out there too, but I would say the models listed here are some of the premier goggle models from three of the biggest companies. I'm not sure about Smith or other manufacturers, I'm sure they have excellent offerings too.

See if you can check some out and fiddle with the lens changing systems to see which ones you like. The Anon M4 really are something else in terms of interchanging lens.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just have a look on youtube at the changing system on the Flight Deck in some reviews to make sure you're happy with that system Smile

Here's my take on the lens choice issue.

Ideally you want two lenses - one that handles well in extremely bright, no clouds conditions, and one that handles well in low to moderate visibility, with complete cloud cover/fog etc. This can sometimes be difficult to achieve with the lens combinations that come as standard with the goggles (because they'll give you lenses that are great in high light and moderate light, but not necessarily low light, meaning you'll be more likely to buy a third pair of lenses at extra cost!)

I would do the following:

Find a chart on google images/Oakley website which lists all of their lens/colour options and the corresponding VLT value of each lens (visible light transmission). The low numbers (eg 5% to 25%) mean lenses which let in the least amount of light, so are good for very bright conditions. The higher numbers (40-80%) let in more light, and so are better for moderate to low light conditions.

You want to ideally find a combination that has one in each of these categories. I would go for something like 15% for high light and at least 40-50% for low light.

My current lenses for my Dragon system are 20% VLT for high light and 35% VLT for low light - note that this is what came with the goggles and it isn't ideal for low light, it's more for moderate light. I would have preferred something 50% or more VLT for the low light stuff. When I was skiing this last season and used my low light lens in very low light conditions, I still found it difficult to see the contrast in the snow.

You may not find a PERFECT combination (because of the above reason), but I'm sure there will be a combination in the Flight Decks that will suit you quite well. If I had the benefit of hindsight, I would have gone for a combination that had a greater difference in VLT values between my two lenses. Looking at the Oakley options the Black Iridium is the best high light lens, and the Rose and Hi Pink options are the amongst the best low light lenses.

Although I'm sure many will say this is overthinking the issue too much and that most of the choices on offer are fine for the majority of conditions. That's probably a fair point too. I'm just a bit OCD with these things haha. And the Flight Decks look so cool, I think ANY combination will look sweet so you have a nice choice to make.

Hope that helps!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also, companies change frames a lot so lenses are not available after a couple of years (if it is in the sale it is probably being discontinued) so if you are happy buy spare lenses for when they get scratched.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@GlasgowCyclops, having said that, Smith have just redesigned the I/O and it accepts the previous lens design... which is a nice thing.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Or, just to throw a cat in amongst the pigeons, what about a helmet with an integrated goggle system or viewing band....something like an uvex 300?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OAKLEY Airbrake XL, there are some bargains online and comes with 2 prizm lenses. Changing lens isn't difficult but could be better for the top range of the market
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’m a big fan of Giro goggles. Originally I bought a pair of Giro Contact goggles because I had a giro helmet and they are seamlessly compatible. But now I changed to a sweet protection helmet and bought some new Giro Axis goggle because they look cool Smile They come with two VIVID lenses by ZEISS. It’s a lot of low light skiing in Sweden, but the all-condition lens is really good.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another vote for Anon and their magnetic lenses. Can be changed with one hand while the googles are pretty much still on your face. I have the WM1-had them for at least the last 4 seasons. They are not cheap these days though-I think the lens quality has been upgraded.. I bought Mr P a new pair with spare different lenses and an integratable magnetic buff type face mask in the summer sales for £140 or so. The cost is dependent on which lens combo you go for.
latest report
Take your helmet to a shop & try on as many goggles as you can.
You may find your choice is limited due to issues between helmet & goggles fitting.

If it was me.... Helmet with built in Visor.
Visor is great. Changeable lens (takes a few mins) & full vision.
ski holidays
Riccardo wrote:

It's a good deal, they're a quality goggle. I got a pair a few years back from Amazon Warehouse too(to make you really jealous, they were £36.09) and to my complete surprise came with a dark and light lens too. I've since added a clear lens too (skiing down from the bar at the top of Alleghe I realised that even the light lens wasn't quite right for the job.
ski holidays
I really like my Dirty Dog goggles, again they have magnetic lenses for ease of swapping them over, and come with two types of lense - extra can be bought. My husband also has then and his helmet is pretty big. Embarassed

Never had a problem with fogging up etc. Cheaper than Oakley, look pretty cool.
ski holidays
@SnoodlesMcFlude, I am jealous Evil or Very Mad

I got myself a pair of the non-mag last year. It's a complete PITA to change the lenses over but the quality of the lenses is unreal. Then I got the mag ones a couple of weeks ago for Xmas for my son who's had to put up with my scratched cast-offs up to now. I suppose I don't have to give them to him...
ski holidays
@Riccardo, Very Happy I've got quite adept at switching lenses now, although try not to unless I have to.
snow conditions
@GlasgowCyclops, Good advice this, I have got on well with my Oakley Airbrake (non XL) version for several years but it is now discontinued in favour of the XL which is likely too big for me.

I have however ended up with 2 frames (spare on EBay which came with some lenses) and a total of 7 lenses which is a little excessive so may be a sales post in a bit to try and thin that down!
ski holidays
@AndreSilva, +1 for Dragon goggles. I still use my old Dragon Mace with various lenses.
latest report
Well, after some research and review videos, I'm very inclined to go for the Oakley Flight Deck, mainly because of it's peripheral vision... and also because it looks so cool! Cool
But I see that this is not a new goggle, so, technology wise, do you guys think this Oakley lenses are up to date to the newest ones like Anon M4 ?
Although the Anon seem really good at lens changing, this is not that is going to happen all the time, so if the Oakley is not as fast/simple, this is not a problem.
Also, do you think there will be new releases for 2020 season in the next few months ? Should I wait a bit to see if something better comes up ?
latest report
I think Oakley's Prizm technology is amongst the best, so you should have no concerns there. I would have thought they would have announced new models by now, but it would do you no harm to wait until end of October/beginning of November to see if anything new is out, then buy. Unless you're getting a great deal on some Flight Decks now, in which case it makes sense to buy.

Think about what another poster said - that if the frame is replaced in future years, you may not be able to find replacement/alternative lenses, so buy them now if you think you will need them/ want to replaced scratched lens in the future.
snow report
karansaraf wrote:
I think Oakley's Prizm technology is amongst the best, so you should have no concerns there. I would have thought they would have announced new models by now, but it would do you no harm to wait until end of October/beginning of November to see if anything new is out, then buy. Unless you're getting a great deal on some Flight Decks now, in which case it makes sense to buy.

Think about what another poster said - that if the frame is replaced in future years, you may not be able to find replacement/alternative lenses, so buy them now if you think you will need them/ want to replaced scratched lens in the future.

Yeah... that makes sense.
Thanks mate!
snow conditions
@AndreSilva, Just make sure they match your helmet and fit well on your face. I had some relatively small (dragon) goggles that had a really curved top. With my current helmet they were pushed down onto my nose and not really very comfortable. I replaced them with some larger goggles with a flatter top and they're way more comfortable.

My Goggle are Giro Axis, helmet is Giro Ledge. They fit together perfectly.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 12-09-19 21:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I have far too many pairs of goggles. Dragon are excellent VFM in that their spankiest lenses are available in the cheaper older frame designs (unlike Oakley frinstance). I always say for spare pairs or bright day goggs don't overlook Lidl/Aldi and Decathlon - they have some excellent quality stuff for a fraction of Big Brand price & not quite the crapshoot of eBay/Amazon unknown brands.
latest report
Also, another question:
If you guys had to choose only one lens for the Oakley Flight Deck, which one would be more versatile ? Maybe the Sapphire ?

https://www.oakley.com/en-us/prizm/snow
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AndreSilva wrote:
Also, another question:
If you guys had to choose only one lens for the Oakley Flight Deck, which one would be more versatile ? Maybe the Sapphire ?

https://www.oakley.com/en-us/prizm/snow

Yeah Sapphire will be fine. The mid-ranges are said to cope decently even under low visibility - I've got Fire & Rose. I'm curious to try the HiPink since I did not find the Rose widely better than the Fire under snowy conditions.
latest report
@Gustavobs, I’ve just got the High Pink in a Line Miner. Brilliant in flat light. I even use them on bright sunny days. However, others may find them too bright. Everyone’s eyes are different. Cool
latest report
@Awdbugga, thanks. Shame I can't really find a decent priced one to buy!
snow conditions
I was lucky, I got mine from Igero for £86, when they had a sale on. Still not “cheap” though, but worth every penny when it’s flat light.
snow conditions
AndreSilva wrote:
Hello guys.

I don't know about you,

Lidl or Aldi goggles. Cost about a fiver and you can buy separate dull day and bright day googles although I tend to just use orange lenses all the time.
snow conditions
@Awdbugga, +1 I have the same and the flat light days when I've gone out with the Hi Pink I've often forgotten/not found it necessary to change to Saphire.
latest report
@AndreSilva, Try as many pairs as you can, because everyone’s vision is on a distribution. What works for others may not work well for you. It also depends on whether you are a visual skier/boarder, by that I mean do you ski significantly better when you can see clearly, and does your skiing go to down the tube when you can’t. We’ve all experienced skiers in a white out go past as if its a sunny day, apparently unconcerned that they can’t see anything.

Anyway, back to my point, try a £10 pair and a £150, and if you can’t tell the difference buy the cheaper pair. You also need to take into account whether you are an equipment destroyer or not. If you scratch or lose goggles maybe the cheaper end of the range is best.
latest report
DrNo wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, Good advice this, I have got on well with my Oakley Airbrake (non XL) version for several years but it is now discontinued in favour of the XL which is likely too big for me.

I have however ended up with 2 frames (spare on EBay which came with some lenses) and a total of 7 lenses which is a little excessive so may be a sales post in a bit to try and thin that down!

I have air brakes too, might be interested in a spare lens.
latest report
DrNo wrote:

snow report
DrNo wrote:

snow report
OK, so it's decided, I will go for the Flight Deck with 2 lenses!
The million dollar question is: which ones ?
I liked the suggestion from @karansaraf, to go for the Black Iridium for sunny days and Hi Pink Iridium for those bad foggy days, but maybe that will be too focused on the 2 extremes(too good and too bad) ?

Maybe I should go for the Hi pink for bad days and something more generic such as Jade Iridium for the sunny and cloudy days Puzzled
snow report
Looking at the one chart I found it doesn't look like there's a HUGE difference between those high light lenses so feel free to go for whichever one you like the look of! The black one is for the brightest but then the other three colours in the middle are all the same VLT and also for pretty bright conditions, so I think it's basically your choice, and it's unlikely you'll find either of those choices unsuitable.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy