Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2019/20 News Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@albob, I'd not heard them referred to as basket lifts before, but as those ones have quite an open construction I can understand why. The stand up ones I've seen in France with more solid sides were referred to as yogurt pots, a name I rather like. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It’s a very cheap Gondola and the car doesn’t disengage from the line Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And I thought the coffin lift was a bit edgy ... we used the Sassolunga (sp) this August and getting in and out was interesting.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alastair -- I always wondered why that lift didn't run in Winter - now I know.... !
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lots of unhappiness on the Alpin forum about the loss of the two person chair through the trees at la crush. The thinking seems to be that the 4 person chair will eventually be replaced by a Gondola too. A shame.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jimmybog wrote:
Some news for the Dolomite resorts:

Val Gardena/Seiser Alm:

Work has begun on reopening of the Pilat slope from Seiser Alm down to Ortisei. This track will run from the top of the Ortisei-Seiser Alm Gondola and should open in 2021

Link below:

https://www.skiforum.it/skinews/751-ortisei-via-ai-lavori-pista-pilat.html

I'm a big fan of Seiser Alm, but not of the Ortisei gondola. We always stay in Selva and the parking around the gondola is a real hassle. I prefer going to Monte Pana and taking the shuttle, even if you lose 30 minutes or so at the end of the day.

Reopening that track would help those staying within bootpacking distance in Ortisei but not sure who else would benefit.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^^Also, adding this query: Would we be really rolling the dice by going to Val Gardena the week starting April 4 vs. Feb. 8? I like the idea of fewer people and warm weather, but last year's slush a thon by early March doesn't bode well. Has anyone skied the sella ronda area in early april?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Pasigal, early Apri would be a gamble if you wanted decent snow conditions around most of the circuit.

That said, I’m pretty sure fresh snow made early April better than most of March in 2019. Frustratingly, for most, who rely on lifts to ascend the mountain, there was a lot of new snow in mid April and May, after lift system closed.

Personally I’d only consider April in Dolomites as a last minute booking.
snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Again a personal choice, but I wouldn't got to the Dolomites after first week in March (too much slush..).

The one time that I did, I ended up buying gaiters to keep the water out of my boots......
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah, that's what I suspected. The season lasts till April 14th but that probably means -- barring an unseason late storm -- that anything below 1800-2000 m is either closed or half mud by then. Will probably aim for early Feb. in that case...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pasigal wrote:
Will probably aim for early Feb. in that case...

Birthday Bash? Toofy Grin snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
...and the one time we went to Sëlva on March 17th it snowed a couple of days, saw -10c often and I remember about 3 or 4 patches of soft sugary snow. We've had more slush in St. Johann in T. in January.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Check the webcams ———— it’s snowing in Alta Badia ⛄️
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Offical news from SKi Dolomiti for winter 2019/2020

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Service/PR/PR-texts

https://www.skiforum.it/skinews/753-novita-dolomiti-superski-2019-20.html
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for that Jimmy lots of things going on not least more upgrades to the snow making.

The proposal to reinstate the Pilat back down to Ortesei reminded me about something I read in the 1986 Good Ski Guide. There used to be a run back to Selva from the Seceda sector. There was a tbar from the corner just below the Sangon hut which provided access to what looks like a very beautiful blue route down from the Jacues hut to the nursery slopes below Dantercepies, avoiding Santa Christina. The pylons and valley station for the Tbar were still in situ last time I skied past. it must have been a lovely run away from the lifts and the crowds. However it faces south so I suspect it would be difficult to hold the snow for long although it wouldn't need much. No doubt its still popular after a walk or skin up to the jacues hut.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/39047+Santa+Cristina+Gherd%C3%ABina,+South+Tyrol,+Italy/@46.5732982,11.7482072,896m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4778136418214c61:0x43b9814e409d0bac!8m2!3d46.5681399!4d11.7192798
snow conditions
^^That would be interesting/useful. I'll have to check it out this year...

I suspect that was before most of the development around str. Daunei, no? That quarter of Selva is pretty new, but 30 years ago there were probably only a few farms so you could link to the nursery slopes.
latest report
Vizza chair up to Cherz
Cherz I and II chairs up to Cherz
street view for you walk, bike, or drive.
Costoratta chair up to just below Boe
Crep De mont drag up to Crep De mont
Masarei chair up tp Pralongia
snow conditions
@tararubena, Welcome to SnowHeads…
snow conditions
@tararubena’s post reads like a spammer to me. The link is totally irrelevant.
snow conditions
@olderscot, could well be --- I've been kippered !
snow report
@albob, love those pics from 1995 - i think the drag 26 and the piste down to marmota resturant doesnt exist anymore.

https://www.skiforum.it/skinews/753-novita-dolomiti-superski-2019-20.html
has plenty of superdolomiti info
snow report
Correct - drag 26 and piste closed about 10 years ago, although you can still see its route through the trees
snow report
Looks like the Sodlisia lift in Colfosco will be upgraded to a 8 person Chair in 2020 season. ALso mention of accumulating this project with the planned project of "establishment of the
Rönn ski lift, extension of the Rönn ski slope and construction of the Rönn II ski slope". The new lift looks like it will depart from the mountain station of Sodlisia or nearby and then cross the road and go past the Kolfuschgerhof hotel.
snow report
@jimmybog, so would that mean a new lift crossing the road and supplying a red run on the hillside above the top station of Sodlisia ? I think there used to be the remains of an older lift there ?

Its not there now but you can see where it used to run up through the trees above the road, just to the west of Hotel Luianta ?
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
@jimmybog, so would that mean a new lift crossing the road and supplying a red run on the hillside above the top station of Sodlisia ? I think there used to be the remains of an older lift there ?

Its not there now but you can see where it used to run up through the trees above the road, just to the west of Hotel Luianta ?

Apologies, I forgot to add the link. It opens up a PDF file and the drawing on page 16 shows location of new lift and slopes!!

http://www.provinz.bz.it/service/resdownload.aspx?source=VIA-UVP&ID=933937A4D8667190E050960A25322220
ski holidays
@jimmybog, is that your hut further up the hill? Very Happy
ski holidays
@jimmybog, good find! Yes from that it's clear that the existing 4 person Sodlisia chair is just being upgraded to an 8 person chair, but the start and end points remain in the same place (the top unloading station being right next to the highly recommended Mathiaskeller restaurant with the unusual bar stools by the entrance Madeye-Smiley )

Interesting news about the new Rönn ski lift, extension of the Rönn ski slope and construction of the Rönn II ski slope, any idea when that is due to be completed?
latest report
HutToHut wrote:
@jimmybog, is that your hut further up the hill? Very Happy

I wish!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:
@jimmybog, good find! Yes from that it's clear that the existing 4 person Sodlisia chair is just being upgraded to an 8 person chair, but the start and end points remain in the same place (the top unloading station being right next to the highly recommended Mathiaskeller restaurant with the unusual bar stools by the entrance Madeye-Smiley )

Interesting news about the new Rönn ski lift, extension of the Rönn ski slope and construction of the Rönn II ski slope, any idea when that is due to be completed?

I have no idea, couldn't find any other info about it. Will monitor the usual forums of any news and post if i hear anything
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
@jimmybog, ……. I think there used to be the remains of an older lift there ?

That would be (maybe?) one of the old drag lifts that took you up to Jimmys Hutte in the 90's
snow report
Thanks Jimmy, that looks like the Environmental Impact Assessment for the project.

The proposed new Ronn lift looks to follow slightly to the left of the old line of the tbar. It will however re open the the original red run which is still visible through the trees. The position of the top station looks to be fixed by the boundary of the ‘natural park’ designation.

The ‘new’ run will face south east but looking at the Google satellite picture it will be in deep shade at least part of the day which should help preserve the snow. The run looks entirely grassy so should be quick to open with snowmaking.
ski holidays
Looks like an upgrade is planned for the Col Rodella cable car in Campitello for 2021. And a new lift planned from the centre of Moena up to Alpe Lusia ski area planned for 2020

Translated article below:

Interesting news that transpires from this article: finally the 3S in Campitello planned for 2021

Val di Fassa

Val di Fassa has made small interventions, after the great innovations of recent years on Buffaure, at Ciampac and at Col dei Rossi. The Vajolet 2 runway in Vigo has been expanded, the snow-making facilities have been upgraded and several runways have been expanded, new «guns» on Buffaure, the new reservoir for the Paolina runway. "We open in early December - explains Fassa APT director Andrea Weiss - even if we do not have the plus of the Immaculate Conception, which falls on a Sunday. Fortunately, the message has now passed that operators and technologies work in the Dolomites allow excellent skiing regardless of natural rainfall. In 2020 we will have an important input to the identity of Moena as a winter resort, thanks to the new gondola lift for Alpe Lusia directly from the town center, in the Navalge area. In 2021 a big investment will be made in Campitello, for the Col Rodella cable car. There will be large innovative cabins with 30-35 seats. A cross between a cable car and a cableway ».
ski holidays
So lifts that would be on my wish list.
On that connects alpe di siusi with say bravo above st Christina.

A lift up from Moena to carezza ski

And looking at the map I don’t think it would be impossible to link San Pellegrino to buffaure.

And I’m looking forward to the new lift linking tofana to cinque torre
And I think I will plan a trip to 3 zinnen once it’s linked in to Sullian in Austria. Making it over 130km or so
latest report
Whats the best place to search for accommodation on the Sella Ronda circuit?

Thanks
latest report
pred02 wrote:

Thanks

Below are the official sites for each of the four areas round the circuit:

https://www.valgardena.it/en/

https://www.fassa.com/index.asp?l=en

https://www.arabba.it/en/home/1-0.html

https://www.altabadia.org/en/alta-badia-italian-alps-dolomites.html
snow conditions
I’d just look on Booking.com and Airbnb they have always worked for us
snow report
Google maps can be useful
Type the town name into maps, press enter
type hotel or hotels in search bar
hotels will be displayed
snow conditions
pred02 wrote:

Thanks

The Val Gardena site is particularly useful. You can tag your favorite spots; send in requirements with a blanket request etc. It also gives you a good idea of what's available as well as direct links. I've found the best way to use it is to sort by your requirements, then systematically winnow out the most likely places and then call/email them directly. What they have doesn't always correspond exactly to what you might need.

Outside of hotels, of which there are many, there are not many family-sized apartments. The most common setup is 1 or 2 br places, with a foldout couch. But often the two bedrooms have just one bed, which is not good if you have children of different genders...
latest report
used booking.com to book apartment in Corvara a couple of weeks ago, there were a few family appts available in that general area.
ski holidays
Does anyone else stay in Garni Bondi? Absolutely love the place, Helmut who runs it with his sister is hilarious. Great breakfast. Directly on the Nives nursery slope, you are on the first lift within 1 minute of leaving the ski room. €68 a night. Cannot recommend the place highly enough!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy