Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2019/20 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@Drammeister, Hansi always much prefers to deal directly with his customers, rather than for them to book on-line. He’s normally open until around 18.00.
Give him a ring - the number’s on his website: ( https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hansis+best+price+saalbach&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#trex=m_t:lcl_akp,rc_f:nav,rc_ludocids:1706453574364652562,rc_q:Hansis%2520Best%2520Price%2520Skiverleih,ru_q:Hansis%2520Best%2520Price%2520Skiverleihe ) if you want to discuss it with him. Also mention that I recommended you to go to him for an extra discount.
The lifts close at 16.00, but you can get on at 15.00, using a lift pass that is due to start the following day. You can also go night skiing on the floodlit piste at Hinterglemm during the evening.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone stayed at Pension Schattberg? OK?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No idea what it’s like, but, if it’s the one I think it is, it’s in an elevated location on the lower slopes of the Schattberg mountain. If you want to ski back to it, you’ll be coming down the Schattberg Nord black run (or downloading on the Schattberg Xpress gondola, crossing the road on the bridge, and walking or poling over to it).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I suspect we'll be skiing down, with me moaning that my knees hurt and what was wrong with downloading Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Season pass pre-season ticket sales are on offer from 27th September. The Ski Alpin pass will cover Zell am See and Kaprun, as well as the Ski Circus, (totalling 408km) from 12th October until 3rd May.
It will be available at a discount until early December, and, at EUR 590, it works out cheaper than three separate one week passes.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Snowheads - 1st post (although been an avid reader for years).
I've got a group staying at Fieberbrunn end Jan with the plan being to have day in Kitzbuhel (to watch The Streif downhill race) and maybe a day trip skiing all the way over to Zell now the new link is open. We are looking to use trains to get to/from Kitzbuhel and back from Zell but as far as I can tell, Fieberbrunn is somewhat sprawling and the station is a couple of miles from our accommodation. Does anyone know if there are shuttle buses running up to the resort from Fieberbrunn station (and if so - how late do they run). Alternatively - are taxis readily available at the station, or failing that does anyone have a suggested taxi company (English speaking ideally - my German is pretty shoddy!). Thanks.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In Fieberbrunn only a few buses go directly to the station. The walk down from the station to the main road where you could catch buses more frequently is still quite a way, so a taxi is probably the best solution. I can recommend my neighbour Taxi Franz: +43 664 1024034. How good their German is, I cannot say but I imagine they are used to English speaking customers.

If I can help further, just ask.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks espri
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tatmanstours, would you please be able to send me the Saalbach guide? I am just beginning to plan next years ski trip for a group of 4 adults,. and Hoping Saalbach could be the resort of choice this year. my email is: laurenmaden@gmail.com Thank you Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Laurenmaden123, with pleasure

Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@tatmanstours, thinking of booking the week before xmas, grateful if you could advise extent of snowmaking and whether most of the ski circus is likely to be open?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@gazza330, Whilst no one knows when that all-important big dump of snow will arrive this year, I can at least provide some encouragement and reassurance about “normal” pre-Christmas skiing conditions in Saalbach.
The resort opens on 29th November. Normally the natural snow arrives any time between early November and mid-December. It isn’t unusual for the resort to open some of its area for skiing in the last two weekends of November (ahead of schedule). In a really bad year (when the skies are too clear for too long), the natural snow might not arrive in any meaningful quantity until around Christmas/New Year.
Last year was my 13th consecutive Christmas in Saalbach. We have always skied on Christmas Day. In only two seasons out of 13 was the snow at Christmas describable as “poor”. In both of those seasons there was a huge dump just after Christmas.
Years ago I used to arrive in Saalbach around 20th December, to be told that I’d just missed a couple of weeks of perfect conditions on empty pistes. Nowadays I aim to arrive around 10th December.
The snow-making is first-rate, covering 90% of main runs. It really is amazing what can be achieved. The season before last was reckoned to be the worst in living memory for early snow, right across the Alps. However we arrived on 10th December to find at least 150km of perfect piste skiing available - all on artificial snow. The links were open between Leogang and Fieberbrunn and the rest of the Ski Circus, and it was possible to ski right round the valley. It really was an eye-opener!
Of course it’s all down to the air temperatures. We’ve found that, even if the snow clouds are not hitting the Alps, the temperatures from mid-November onwards are cold enough to allow the snow cannons to be running on full throttle.
The bottom line is that, more often than not, the week or two before Christmas is a great time to be skiing in Saalbach. The pistes tend to be immaculate and empty. However occasionally - one winter in five or six - you may be disappointed. If that happens, the glacier at Kaprun is only half an hour down the road, and it is covered by the Saalbach lift pass.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Ghost Dog, Bob, your in luck, looks like there is a blue run goes right past the hotel.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

@Ghost Dog, Bob, your in luck, looks like there is a blue run goes right past the hotel.

There is some discussion about that run (a skiweg) earlier in this topic thread - see page 2.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
espri wrote:
In Fieberbrunn only a few buses go directly to the station. The walk down from the station to the main road where you could catch buses more frequently is still quite a way, so a taxi is probably the best solution. I can recommend my neighbour Taxi Franz: +43 664 1024034. How good their German is, I cannot say but I imagine they are used to English speaking customers.

If I can help further, just ask.

P.S. @Jonny.b an alternative avoiding the taxi would be to get off the train at Hochfilzen. From there there are relatively frequent buses which go through the main part of Fieberbrunn, many probably going by the lifts and hotels at Lindau (name of the area where the main gondolas start).
snow report
@tatmanstours, many thanks for your comprehensive reply
ski holidays
having posted around the 21st sept saying we had booked via a t/o for mid jan things took a turn for the worse. Thomas cook went bang I had booked via neilson with a flight to salzburg on jet2 and a hotel in saalbach no connection with tc .Then got an email from neilson saying due to t/c going bang our booking was cancelled or an alternative in that godforsaken place st anton was available. After much wrangling and time ive now rebooked different company similar flight times man-salzburg same hotel and same dates I have usually gone independent this last few years but due to time constraints and other commitment s booked t/o nothing will persuade me to book with neilson again
snow conditions
DJ Ötzi playing the Goaßtahl on 8th January, just in perfect timing for our trip Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Played there last winter, I was in Hinterglemm but missed him. There again this year- so might get to see him this time Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Folks how viable is Saalbach as Easter destination? First week is from the 3rd April this year. I have a recollection that only a couple of pistes are open that late? I want to bring the kids somewhere so perfect snow less important
snow report
@8611, Early April can be great. Obviously it depends on what the weather’s doing, but generally we’ve found it worth staying until the closing date, which is normally around the middle of April (depending on where Easter falls). As you’re presumably aware, this season’s closing date is 13th April.
It’s not so much lack of snow as lack of people, once Easter’s over, that determines when it’s sensible and cost-effective to bring the season to an end.
Normally the resort closes the south-facing side of the valley for the last week (Kohlmais, Bernkogel, Reiterkogel, Hochalm), so skiing may be confined to Schattberg, Zwölferkogel, Schoenleiten, and Leogang (the link to Fieberbrunn being closed) but that provides plenty of skiing for the numbers who are still there.
I don’t know what they will do about the link to Zell am See as the end of the season approaches. I assume that it will depend on how long Zell stays open. As Zell is significantly lower than Saalbach, it seems unlikely that the new link will remain open during the final week or so.
However it’s worth noting that this season’s Ski Circus lift pass will also cover Kaprun, which is only a 25-30 minute drive away. The glacier can offer January-like conditions in early April.
We have some guests staying during the last 10 days of the season. It’s their third visit and they always come in April, and they’ve never bothered or apparently felt the need to go to Kaprun, so you may find that reassuring. (Parents and three teenagers).
On the other hand this season end could be untypical - predicting conditions at the extremities of the season requires a crystal ball.
I feel that I should add that the lift company can occasionally be unpredictable. Last season the resort closed a week earlier than many of us expected, taking into consideration the fantastic snow we'd had throughout the season, which ensured good April conditions. From the beginning of April it began to wind down, first by closing the south-facing side, and then, from the second week by closing all except Leogang. However that might have had something to do with wanting to crack on with the replacement of the Zwoelferkogel gondola, which was of course a major project (like the replacement of the Kohlmaisbahn gondola the year before, when demolition work started before the season had ended). At present the website isn't giving us any clues about what they have in mind for April this season, but, in the absence of any major projects affecting the main ski area (and I'm not aware of any that are planned), my guess would be that they'll keep everything running adequately for Easter. A phone call to the Tourist Information Centre in Saalbach might confirm this.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 12-10-19 3:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I'm going to be in the circus pretty much all season with some possible detours. Teaching mostly in December and February and April with January and March off.
ski holidays
@Powder Pete, Typed with a big smile on your face, no doubt! Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

DJ Ötzi playing the Goaßtahl on 8th January, just in perfect timing for our trip

@boabski, and @Yorksboy, Don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but word on the piste is that he can't really sing - at least not terribly well. We duly attended the Goassstall to see him a few years ago, and we came away distinctly underwhelmed. He excelled in posing in a white jumpsuit and beanie, with a suitably attired girl on each arm. However, we didn't hear him sing at all. He seemed to blame his microphone - kept glaring at it and then leaving the stage, only to return 10 minutes later and go through the same pantomime again.
Now David Hasselhoff at the Walleggalm was well worth a visit - there are videos on youtube.
We also hear that Ed Sheeran has been spotted with his snowboard in Hinterglemm - but keeping a low profile.
latest report
@tatmanstours, thank you indeed for that very comprehensive response
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, Can any of the "Super DJ's" actually sing? I've had some good evenings at the larger venues over the years. However, I do prefer the smaller apres bars such as Spitzbub and Burgis. I've stayed in Hinterglemm for the last few trips, so Saalbach Apres involves getting the night bus back. I will be staying in Saalbach for a week at the end of February just up the road from these 2, so they will be my "locals" for at least a bit of the winter Very Happy

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 4-11-19 0:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Yorksboy, We’re also “just up the road” from the Spitzbub and Burgi’s. Will you be our neighbour?
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, Got my dates mixed up. Staying at the Aberger, last week of February before moving on to my usual place in Hinterglemm.
Going to be in Hinterglemm first 2 weeks of January.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 29-10-19 1:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tatmanstours, I am under no illusions about just how cr4p he is Laughing . We're all tempted to order white beanies for the trip Embarassed
snow report
@tatmanstours, who do you recommend for taxi transfer, i think we used Salzburg taxi the last time. Oh and if you have updated it could you send me your guide again, might be some cheese in it for you in return
ski holidays
Am I the first to notice the new blue piste on the map?
Blue 155 from the Kohlmais Bergstation, just a short connecting blue to avoid the existing reds.
snow report
Wasn't there always a run there, helps avoid the carnage on the short steep section on the right, as you exit the top station?
snow conditions
@kb36 is right but Drammeister is right too, for the difference is that the new piste map shows a blue run from the top of the Kohlmais gondola joining the run (previously piste 55, now 155) coming from the top of the Panoramabahn chairlift. Confusingly piste 152a (previously 52) now isn't shown joining with this piste 155. All a bit muddled, I fear. I can't imagine there is any difference on the ground.
latest report
I coming to Hinterglemm with my son (14) and another family at half-term in February, but I'm seriously thinking of having a sneaky week at the beginning of Jan (4-11) by myself (my wife hates skiing and the kids are at school / college).

Never been on holiday by myself, but I figure skiing would be good for it, as I'll be busy all day skiing, have a couple of pints afterwards, having a "billy no mates" dinner at the hotel and then bed. Repeat for 6 days...

The wife has given me the go-ahead too, as she's off to visit her brother in Austin, Texas in a weeks time for 12 days, so I've some brownie points snowHead
latest report
@crudeFool, a couple of years ago I had a pre-Christmas trip to the SkiWelt on my own for 5 days. My first half-day straight from the airport was a warm-up. Day 2 I started on my own but by 10am I'd met a bunch of Brits who invited me to tag along with them, and I spent the rest of the day and evening with them. Day 3 I met up with a fellow Snowhead who'd replied to a post on here, and he showed me around Kitzbuhel in a white-out. Day 4 I travelled to the Zillertal, and met two people at lunch who invited me to join them for the afternoon. Day 5 was a true solo day, doing every valley run in the SkiWelt before I had to leave for a late flight.

In Saalbach, you can have a similar experience if you want it. There are likely to be at least 3 snowHead in town in any particular week, including of course @tatmanstours who is usually there for the season and can drag you kicking and screaming around all of the apres bars until 2am and then be up for lunch at the Chicken Man the following day. Forget dinner at the hotel - pay for B&B instead and sample the local options, with company or without.
ski holidays
crudeFool wrote:
I coming to Hinterglemm with my son (14) and another family at half-term in February, but I'm seriously thinking of having a sneaky week at the beginning of Jan (4-11) by myself (my wife hates skiing and the kids are at school / college).

Never been on holiday by myself, but I figure skiing would be good for it, as I'll be busy all day skiing, have a couple of pints afterwards, having a "billy no mates" dinner at the hotel and then bed. Repeat for 6 days...

The wife has given me the go-ahead too, as she's off to visit her brother in Austin, Texas in a weeks time for 12 days, so I've some brownie points snowHead

I'm in a group going that week, there's about 20 of us, mostly people who have met on various inside out trips or clinics, but this is just a ski holiday, not a coaching week, some of us are :sh: as well
Drop us a line if you plans firm up - we are staying in saalbach village.
snow conditions
@crudeFool, I've been skiing in SH since 2006 - always travel on my own. I often take ski school - thats good way to meet people. Quite happy to ski the area on my own as well. Over the years I've stayed in a range of accommodation HB and B&B. Mostly stay B&B now as it lets you gat out and about to try all the area has to offer. This winter I have trips planned fr 3rd to 18th January and 21st February to 7th March. If you do get there let me know if you want a bit of company.
ski holidays
Thanks all! Glad to know I won't get lonely should I go ahead with the trip!
ski holidays
I went to Saalbach last January on my own for a week and met loads of lovely people to ski with and have a beer or two (occasionally more...). I had a fantastic time and I'm doing the same again this season but the week after your dates. Go for it.
ski holidays
I've been reading this thread and there seems to be a lot of good knowledge on here so some advice on Saalbach and accommodation would be appreciated as it would be a first time visit to Austria for us, we've been everywhere else but there so it's time to put that omission right.

We're looking at a half board hotel for the Christmas week and I have found the following on the Crystal website which fit our requirements and are within our price range. Hotel Panther, Sporthotel Berger, Das Neuhaus and Hotel Saalbacher Hof.

For information we like to be centrally situated with a short walk to the lifts and town centre, we also like to have other stuff to do as well as skiing, we're in our late 60's now and don't ski full days anymore. We do like a bit of life though, both day and night and the Austrian apres sounds fun, a hotel which allows us to do a bit of sitting around to watch the world go by and then join in the fun when we feel like it would be good.

Please give me some advice on which and reasons why out of those four would be the best choice for us.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy