Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2019/20 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@VolklAttivaS5, I just have to look at the forecast and count the days to when i'm back there Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yesterday I made my first trip from the Glemmtal to Zell am See using the zellamseeXpress gondola. We started from Leogang and, since piste 168 was closed, had to take the bus from the Schönleitenbahn to Viehhofen. Judging by the number waiting for the bus, the excursion is quite popular. We had a super bluebird day and the skiing in Zell was fine. It was mostly relatively quiet and the snow good, though pretty hard and polished in places. Lunched at the Franzl restaurant near the top of the trassXpress - good though most items on the menu are quite expensive. We skied all six valley runs, though we took the zellamseeXpress I from the middle station to get back down to Viehhofen. We were back over in Leogang by about three o'clock. A very enjoyable day.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@espri, Good to hear. I was wondering how the link was working with Piste 168 not open much. We are heading late Feb and I'm just planning a day out to Zell (never been). Any particular runs you would recommend (we are all mid/upper intermediates). i was planning to stay for the night skiing (available Tues/Thurs/Fri i think) and have dinner and cab it back to Saalbach (€40ish I've been reliably informed!).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@riman8, 40euros is about correct. We skied Zell earlier this week and (probably foolishly looking back) carried on via the ski bus to spend the rest of the day on the glacier at Kaprun. Caught the same bus back to Zell am See railway station after a drink at the bottom of the Kaprun slopes and got a taxi back to Schattberg early evening. Fare was 40 euros and about 25 mins so pretty simple.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
espri wrote:
Yesterday I made my first trip from the Glemmtal to Zell am See using the zellamseeXpress gondola. We started from Leogang and, since piste 168 was closed, had to take the bus from the Schönleitenbahn to Viehhofen. Judging by the number waiting for the bus, the excursion is quite popular. We had a super bluebird day and the skiing in Zell was fine. It was mostly relatively quiet and the snow good, though pretty hard and polished in places. Lunched at the Franzl restaurant near the top of the trassXpress - good though most items on the menu are quite expensive. We skied all six valley runs, though we took the zellamseeXpress I from the middle station to get back down to Viehhofen. We were back over in Leogang by about three o'clock. A very enjoyable day.

We made the reverse journey yesterday, starting at Zell. The ski buses between Viehhofen and the Schönleitenbahn now run every 10 minutes. We caught a bus at about 10.00am. Such was its popularity that they appear to have doubled up on the buses, so that two identical buses pulled in together and both pretty much filled up. We noticed dozens of people coming in the opposite direction (from the Schönleitenbahn), so that numbers travelling in the two directions appeared to be reasonably balanced.

We returned to Zell on the 6.30pm 680 bus. The fare was €4.90.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I thought I saw people skiing down 168 yesterday.
Why is it closed does it run out of snow near the bottom as I am sure people are skiing down it (presumably successfully)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
riman8 wrote:
@espri, Good to hear. I was wondering how the link was working with Piste 168 not open much. We are heading late Feb and I'm just planning a day out to Zell (never been). Any particular runs you would recommend (we are all mid/upper intermediates). i was planning to stay for the night skiing (available Tues/Thurs/Fri i think) and have dinner and cab it back to Saalbach (€40ish I've been reliably informed!).

It is all easy skiing in Zell am See.
I am not sure it is worth €40 to stay and do the night skiing, they must only have a couple of runs open at night so it seems a lot of money just for that. Different for people actually staying in Zell though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Austrian Seagull.
Where abouts in Saalbach did you get the 680 bus back to Zell.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

That's not how I would describe it. I find the valley runs 13 and particularly 14 challenging enough and even 4 down to the Areitbahn can be hard work when busy and the snow chopped up. The black sections of piste 5 down to the CityXpress aren't for beginners, though there are blue 'bypasses'. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
riman8 wrote:
@espri, Good to hear. I was wondering how the link was working with Piste 168 not open much. We are heading late Feb and I'm just planning a day out to Zell (never been). Any particular runs you would recommend (we are all mid/upper intermediates).

The runs up at the top of the Schmitten are all relatively easy and good to ski (the black piste Ketting piste 9 being a bit more challenging).

A trip over to the pistes on the Sonnenalm served by the Hochmaisbahn and Sonnenkogelbahn (watch out for the bananas growing there on the way up the latter) is also worthwhile. The valley run on piste 20 isn't too difficult (the valley runs 13 and 14 are more challenging) and that takes you to the trassXpress gondola to get back up to the top of the Schmitten.

Piste 5 down to the CityXpress has quite challenging black sections but they have blue 'bypasses' if you prefer that.

Piste 4 down to the bottom of the Areitbahn gondola can be busy at times and moderately challenging then. But there's plenty of good skiing in Zell!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Now then....
Saturday 18th January- 13:00 - 15:00

Stöckalm Hut (midstation of Asitzbahn gondola at Leogang)... Be there or be somewhere else skiing...

My live band Brother Buffalo are performing in the Stöckalm hut at the mid-station of Leogang, Salzburg, Austria (Asitzbahn gondola).

It is part of the Brother Buffalo // 3 Tage Jazz // Eintritt frei! event (we don't do Jazz...Blues Rock) but the Jazzfestival Saalfelden is a 'proper' music festival and invited us to play.

It would be great to see some snowHead 's there... don't be scared to declare yourselves!
This will be a pretty loud gig... you have been warned wink

Check us out below!!... PLEASE SHARE TO HELP SPREAD THE WORD!

http://youtube.com/v/x5qNQir_1u4
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
espri wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

That's not how I would describe it. I find the valley runs 13 and particularly 14 challenging enough and even 4 down to the Areitbahn can be hard work when busy and the snow chopped up. The black sections of piste 5 down to the CityXpress aren't for beginners, though there are blue 'bypasses'. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

They said they are all mid/upper intermediates though not beginners.
I think of all the areas around here Zell am See has the easiest skiing generally, a bit like Steinplatte and St Johann but bigger.
They are good at keeping the lifts open in bad weather too.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 16-01-20 14:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chick wrote:
@Austrian Seagull.
Where abouts in Saalbach did you get the 680 bus back to Zell.

@Chick,
We caught the bus on the main road bang opposite the Schattberg Xpress lift station. There are also several other 680 bus stops in Saalbach, all of which are along the main road.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 16-01-20 15:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Chick, any of the bus stops on the main road same as the ski bus stops, a lot of them have the time table on the post or in the shelter, or you could download the Salzburg Verkehr app, then chose which stop you want to go for.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@VolklAttivaS5, it's frequently closed due to lack of snow, there are no snow cannon on the run, when its open it is a lovely run.
ski holidays
@toyah807, Is the glacier at Kaprun not worth it? On the map looks like quite few reds and a few blacks so I was temped. Is it just a lot of faff getting there when coming over from Saalbach?
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, We were just temped to pay €40 for a taxi to stay in Zell for the evening for a change with a bit of skiing. The night skiing is included with the Alpin Card pass (I believe). Any recommendations for dinner in Zell (3 adults 2 kids - mid way prices ok)?
latest report
Also does anyone know if there are ski lockers or racks to leave skis/boots at in Zell while we go for dinner?
snow report
riman8 wrote:
@toyah807, Is the glacier at Kaprun not worth it? On the map looks like quite few reds and a few blacks so I was temped. Is it just a lot of faff getting there when coming over from Saalbach?

It depend what you want, pluses are good snow when other areas are lacking but this makes it busy at these times, freeride runs good, park and pipe excellent. Views over the Hohe Tauren National park and the exhibitions at the top station are also worth a visit if you are there as is the Ice Bar.

If you are after reds and blacks, best black in the areas is 14 (Trass abfarht in Zell) Google Trasslauf to see how it should be skied, Best Reds in Zell/Kaprun are probably on the Sonnkogel side.
snow conditions
riman8 wrote:

The glacier is fine for a day's skiing (though some of my friend aren't so keen). However, whether it is really worth the effort from Saalbach, I would rather doubt unless just to have gone there and tried it out.

You can now get up to the glacier on the new 3S gondola from near the start of Kaprun village (though the trip on the lift takes a while). However, it might make a taxi journey marginally cheaper and it would also allow you to ski the Maiskogel pistes (assuming enough snow).
ski holidays
Quote:

Also does anyone know if there are ski lockers or racks to leave skis/boots at in Zell while we go for dinner?

There are lockers at the bottom of the City Express gondola but I believe access closes by 6pm so wouldn't really work for your dinner. The only lockers i know of that would be accessible after a normal dinner time (7-9pm?) would be those at the train station. But I don't think they have ski lockers there, just luggage unfortunately.
latest report
riman8 wrote:

I tend to only ski on the Kitzsteinhorn glacier out of necessity, for example when other areas are suffering poor conditions. That said, whenever I do ski it, I invariably have a thoroughly enjoyable day. The snow is usually excellent, there are several good runs, the views are spectacular and the crowds can usually be avoided by careful route selection and timing. I wouldn’t rate it as being particularly good for beginners however, as the main blue runs get used by all calibre of skiers and can get congested. The new access via the K-onnection certainly helps.
latest report
riman8 wrote:

Go to Guiseppes pizzeria just off the town square. Good Pizzas and plenty of them. The restaurant is on the first floor and they have ski racks in the downstairs hallway, they are also a few round about outside bars etc if you have decent locks for them?
snow report
@riman8, the glacier was lovely but when balanced against the trek to get there from Saalbach, and what you leave behind in terms of skiing, not worth it in my opinion was what I was trying to say. If (most certainly when) I return to Saalbach again I wouldn't make the trip over again. The connection lift between the two parts of Kaprun is certainly a sight to behold though, a lovely piece of engineering.
ski holidays
riman8 wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, We were just temped to pay €40 for a taxi to stay in Zell for the evening for a change with a bit of skiing. The night skiing is included with the Alpin Card pass (I believe). Any recommendations for dinner in Zell (3 adults 2 kids - mid way prices ok)?

If you are planning on staying for the night skiing I would recommend the Kupferkessel restaurant
It is about 100m from the end of the night slope and about 100m from the train station for taxi back to Saalbach, not to mention probably my favourite restaurant in Zell. Great varied menu, pizza, pasta, grill, schnitzel etc. It’s very popular with locals as well as tourists so would be a good idea to book in advance. Failing that let me know what food/vibe you are after and I can recommend somewhere
latest report
Thanks Austrian seagull and Radar. Arriving in Zell this Sat for a week and hoping the snow gods are generous this weekend.
snow conditions
Would agree with previous kupferkessel.at great spot
snow conditions
So arriving in Saalbach tomorrow snowHead

Staying at the Konig, ‘if’ we get a decent snowfall this weekend, what’s the quickest way to get to Fieberbrunn on skis ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice and fresh this morning, noticeably colder than the rest of this week. -3 C at the bottom in Fieberbrunn at 9am before I got the bus to St Ulrich am Petersee to try it out as I didn't go there last season. So far so good and looks like a brill place to come for easy off piste after a snowfall. Pistes are nice and firm this morning and I've only seen one other person skiing so far apart from on the baby slope.
latest report
2planks wrote:
So arriving in Saalbach tomorrow snowHead

Staying at the Konig, ‘if’ we get a decent snowfall this weekend, what’s the quickest way to get to Fieberbrunn on skis ?

Depends if you are on the Bernkogel lift side or the Reiterkogel lift side.
snow report
@2planks, from the Konig walk up the high street to the Bernogelbahn, its a right turn out of you hotel and then right just past the post office, unless you can walk out of the back of the hotel. Take the Bernkogelbahn up, then the Berkogel 6er chair, ski down 148, then the Reiter-Ost 6 chair then ski down 87 turn left onto 125, then you are well on your way. @Tatmantours has a guide to doing Fieberbrunn, PM him.
snow report
hi all, I have a random question. Does anyone know where I can purchase ski passes in Leogang that accept American Express? I have to buy for a larger group and would really like the avios. many thanks!
ski holidays
Quote:

@2planks, Most people staying at the Koenig take a route that involves more skiing and less of an uphill slog in ski boots, than that suggested by radar. Behind the Koenig there is the small, Kreuzkapelle nursery slope, which effectively makes the hotel ski-in ski-out, as you can put your skis on outside the back door and also ski back to the hotel.

Snowheads of my acquaintance, who have stayed at the Koenig, have always taken the rope tow to the top of the above-mentioned nursery slope, which gets you onto Schiliftstrasse. It is then simply a question of crossing the road onto the larger Turmwiese nursery area. You then take the Turm Chair lift, which takes you a few hundred meters to the top of the Turmwiese. Then you ski down, bearing right and take the small piste that brings you down to the upper part of the Dorfstrasse (main village street), opposite the Hotel Kendler. You then have a 50 meter downhill walk to the little alley on the right (just after Hotel Peter) that leads you to the Bernkogelbahn.

If the Turm chair is busy, or you feel like taking a more direct route, you can simply walk (on snow) across the Turmwiese to the lifts that take you down to the alleyway between the Hotel Panther and the Hotel Haider. You then just walk straight ahead for 50 meters, cross the Dorfstrasse and into the little alley mentioned above.

After that, it's the route outlined by radar. I would only add that blue piste 147 provides an easier alternative than 148, to get nervous skiers from the top of the Bernkogel 6er to the bottom of the Reiter Ost chair. Also that, unlike Leogang, it's easy to get nervous skiers over to Fieberbrunn, utilising the gondolas to bypass the more challenging runs, such as 125, the end of which is borderline black.
snow report
riman8 wrote:

Please report back if you end up doing this? My kids would love this when we are in Saalbach in March.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Nice and fresh this morning, noticeably colder than the rest of this week. -3 C at the bottom in Fieberbrunn at 9am before I got the bus to St Ulrich am Petersee to try it out as I didn't go there last season. So far so good and looks like a brill place to come for easy off piste after a snowfall. Pistes are nice and firm this morning and I've only seen one other person skiing so far apart from on the baby slope.

We had an afternoon there last February. The long red back to the bottom of the chair was fantastic. I think I only saw two other people on the whole run.
latest report
First time skiing this area. We will be skiing over from Leogang and are wondering best way to link up with this lift.

Thanks

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 17-01-20 16:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@ruthie, which lift?
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
@ruthie, which lift?

Oops sorry the Schattberg Xpress - do we have to cross the main road ?
ski holidays
Drammeister wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

We had an afternoon there last February. The long red back to the bottom of the chair was fantastic. I think I only saw two other people on the whole run.

Yeah I spent an hour or so there this morning having skied every run before going over to Steinplatte which is another nice little area (although bigger than St Ulrich am Petersee). Some lovely long runs and like you say hardly anyone about. The pistes were nicer today as it was about 1-3C instead of 6-7C it makes all the difference.
Snow forecast tonight is about 4-5 cm so we shall see what turns up Toofy Grin
snow report
@ruthie, Coming over from Leogang, you have two options to get to the Schattberg Xpress. The quickest way is likely to be to take pistes 164 and then 161a to the bottom of the Schoenleitenbahn at Jausern/Vorderglemm, then take the ski bus to the Schattberg Xpress - a bus ride of about 10 minutes.

The second way (which involves skiing down to Saalbach and walking through the village) is to take piste 164 to the Schoenleiten 6er or the Schoenleitenbahn II and go up to the Wildenkarkogel. Then ski down piste 166 until you reach the area around the mid-station of the Kohlmaisbahn, where you have a choice of three pistes to ski down to Saalbach village: blue piste 151, blue 152 (the easiest) or red 153a. Once on the nursery slopes at Saalbach (the Turmwiese), you ski down to the street (Schiliftstrasse) in the area of the church. Then walk downhill to the right, taking the more steeply sloping pedestrian-only path, which takes you past the church down to the main village square. On the far side of the square, you will see the main village street (the Dorfstrasse). Turn left (downhill) for about 50 meters. You will then see a fork to the right (Schulstrasse), over a little bridge. Take that, and then almost immediately turn left into a little alleyway, between a gift shop and the Schattberg Stub'n restaurant. After about 30 meters you will reach the Schattberg Xpress.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy