Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2019/20 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
We arrived in Saalbach this afternoon and it was snowing at village level, got checked in and our room at the Saalbacherhof Hotel is very nice, it looks out over the lower slopes which appear to have plenty of snow.

We can see the short 6 man chairlift and the bottom of both big gondolas and I'm just checking the piste map out, we'll then decide on which one to start with tomorrow, easiest first I think as it's been a while since we skied and we need to get the legs working again.

We're going to head over the road in a few minutes to sort out our hire skis and then it's a relaxing beer o'clock for me and a prosecco o'clock for her.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arrived in Saalbach today, as others have said it was snowing at village level and we made it up to piste 146 (thanks for the schuss recommendation!) where there was lots of fresh snow settling - a little slushy due to still rather mild temperatures, but the forecast looks good and I can only see it improving over the week.

Off to try Hinterglemm tomorrow!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
teerev wrote:
We arrived in Saalbach this afternoon and it was snowing at village level, got checked in and our room at the Saalbacherhof Hotel is very nice, it looks out over the lower slopes which appear to have plenty of snow.

We can see the short 6 man chairlift and the bottom of both big gondolas and I'm just checking the piste map out, we'll then decide on which one to start with tomorrow, easiest first I think as it's been a while since we skied and we need to get the legs working again.

We're going to head over the road in a few minutes to sort out our hire skis and then it's a relaxing beer o'clock for me and a prosecco o'clock for her.

Same plan here up the road in Hinterglemm.
The apartment owner said the snow at the top is pretty good, so we’re aiming for an early start
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Where to buy towels in Saalbach? Long story etc etc
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you've got a car, Thumersbach would be a better bet than Saalbach, the imaginatively named xxxlutz! https://www.xxxlutz.at/duschtuecher-C9C4C2

I don't buy much linen when skiing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Klamm Franzer wrote:
If you've got a car, Thumersbach would be a better bet than Saalbach, the imaginatively named xxxlutz! https://www.xxxlutz.at/duschtuecher-C9C4C2

I don't buy much linen when skiing.

Good shout, although Lutz is in Schuttdorf, not Thumersbach. Another option is Kika in Saalfelden, or Amazon.de.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chrisdavis, just to add that no shops will be open until Monday, there is also, Dänisches Bettenlager, Kaprunerstraße 3, 5700 Zell am See, and opposite xxlutz is Möbelix, Brucker Bundesstraße 69, 5700 Zell am See, Austria. They are all through the tunnel which bypasses Zell
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For the benefit of the snow worriers, it's currently -1C and snowing heavily.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How about the big Spar in Saalfelden
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the updates. The webcams are looking much better as are the temperatures. In 2 weeks time we will be there. Cant wait.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@2waterford, Kika is the roundabout before it coming from Saalbach, not sure if the Spar does towels, but there are other shops in the small shopping centre.

Our choice would be Dänisches Bettenlager followed by Xxlutz then Mobelix, three options close to each other, its also worth checking out Techibo to see what they have in store as it varies quite a bit.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My only contribution to the towels discussion is that, if desperate, we could lend a towel or two. We actually had two bales of brand new towels that were surplus to requirements, so we took them back to the U.K. in September. Drat!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone, especially @tatmanstours, I managed to get more or less sorted at the gift shop next to the Shattbergstube.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@chrisdavis, good to know, I always fancied the chairlift in the window.
ski holidays
We went up the 12er lift today. You can’t beat that new gondola smell!

By god it was windy at the top this afternoon, called it a day quite early and headed to the Goaßstall for some apres fun.

It didn’t disappoint!
snow report
I keep seeming to miss the decent apres bars, the ones I go past all seem pretty quiet 3pm - 9pm?? I’m staying in the centre of Saalbach and haven’t seen any dancing yet. Hoping things liven up after Christmas Day!
snow report
Are you sure you've been in Saalbach? 3pm is the start of prime time
ski holidays
@Londonlass, Most of the early evening apres-ski takes place between 4.00pm and 7.30pm at Bauer’s Schialm, Burgi’s Bar and the Spitzbub, all up past the church on Schiliftstrasse. Our usual port of call is the Spitzbub, where you will find very friendly bar staff and usually a smattering of Brits. There is also an intimate little inside bar, which is useful if you’re feeling cold.
Having said that Christmas Eve will be quiet (although some bars, such as the Crazy Deer are open throughout Christmas).
The famous Hinterhag Alm usually starts its immensely popular apres-ski parties on Boxing Day.
For later in the evening, the Underbar is the liveliest bar in Saalbach. I can recommend starting quietly with a drink (and perhaps a meal) in Bobby’s, then moving on to the Crazy Deer, then upping the tempo at the Off-Piste Bar, then letting your hair down in the Underbar, and then winding down at the Ötzi Bar or the Spitzbub (depending on which one is most convenient for your accommodation).
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, what no mention of bergeralm
snow conditions
@kb36, I was focusing on the apres-ski down in the village. Obviously any self-respecting apres-skier heads to the Bergeralm at 3.30pm. However head torches are useful if the ski down is after dark (bearing in mind that the piste bashers go up pistes 152 and 166 in convoy between 5.00-5.30pm). Not recommended for unconfident (or drunk) skiers.
Also, I was overlooking the Soul House - haven’t been over there yet at apres-ski time, so I don’t know how lively it is (considering that things don’t really take off in some venues until after Christmas).
Also, as “dancing” has been mentioned, I suppose that Taverne, Castello, and Bergers Sport Hotel should be borne in mind for the late shift.
latest report
*cough* straight to the Hinterhag *cough* sod the Burglar Alarm Wink
ski holidays
@HoneyBunny, the Burglar Alarm serves as an aperitif before the main course.
latest report
tatmanstours wrote:
@HoneyBunny, the Burglar Alarm serves as an aperitif before the main course.

I suppose it's OK for a quick 2-4-1 Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel
latest report
@HoneyBunny, Depending on the day and who’s in there, the atmosphere can be pretty good. I know that Kooky and Scarpa were well impressed the first time they went.
snow report
Thanks all! That’s really helpful. I went past Hinterhag yesterday at about 2.30pm - maybe a bit early but the slopes had turned mushy - but there was no music and it was empty Sad so looking forward to Boxing Day revelry Smile
ski holidays
@Londonlass, pistes turning mushy by 2.30pm so close to the shortest day? Puzzled
Is something happening to the climate?
latest report
Nah, there was a lot of snow yesterday but temps still quite mild so it was very soft going. Coldest temps and best conditions around late Jan- February I think, but we wanted to experience a white Christmas abroad!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all, just after a bit of advice if you don't mind...we have a relative beginner with us who is liking the run at the top of the Bernkogel (and the road off to the right), but progression from this seems difficult in Saalbach. Do you know of any similar slopes in Hinterglemm that are reachable by bus+lift? Or any runs in Saalbach that we should be aware of? He's in his mid-60s and so far refusing lessons, so I'm trying to be as careful as possible!
latest report
@PeakyB, Our experience over 14 consecutive Christmases in Saalbach has been that, not only do we often get a mild spell around Christmas, but the temperature at village level when it snows is usually around or just above 0 degrees C, which results in soft, mushy snow at the bottom and powder higher up. Then the skies clear, and it freezes, and all is well.
In the last few days we’ve experienced (at village level) rain, sleet, but thankfully also a fair amount of snow. It’s been one of those occasions when we should count our blessings and be thankful that the resort is a few hundred meters higher than many surrounding resorts, such as Zell am See and Kitzbuehel, which I’m sure will have had more rain and sleet.
ski holidays
Valluga, it is one of the the surprising things about S-H that there is no obvious progression from very easy slopes, to the intermediate terrain that makes up most of the skiing. The best I could suggest in Hinterglemm would be run 30, the previously named familienabfahrt, on the top half of the Zwolfer, served by lift B2. Most of it is pleasantly gentle, though near the top there are a couple of steeper pitches, but it is very wide. It's usually the first slope the ski-schools in Hinterglemm use after the beginners move off the nursery slope. Also, nice and high, so a real feeling of being 'in the mountains'. Note though that the descent to the valley is a bit trickier, so, unless the confidence has rapidly built, it would probably be worth taking the lift down. The only other areas I can think of off the top of my head are in Fieberbrunn, and that's a lot of lifts to get there...
snow report
@Valluga, There are some easy runs to progress onto. Those that spring to mind are: Piste 4 on Schattberg (especially in the morning), Piste 50 at Hochalm, Piste 152 on Kohlmais, Piste 31/30 on Zwoelferkogel, and Pistes 163 and 169 at Schoenleiten. In many cases, there are easy ways around the steeper pitches if you look for them.

For example, in the case of piste 31, from the top station of the Zwoelferkogelbahn, you take the little track that goes off to the right, and then bear left, thus going round the steepest section of piste 30. Similarly, at Schoenleiten, take the little track to the left, marked on the piste map as 162b, which takes you directly to the top of piste 163, thus avoiding the steeper pitch of 162.

Always keep a look at for ways of by-passing or traversing the steepest gradients. Another example is the bottom of 146, which has a little track off to the left, which greatly facilitates the trickiest section, and which hardly anyone seems to notice - often it still looks freshly groomed in the late afternoon!
latest report
Valluga wrote:
Hi all, just after a bit of advice if you don't mind...we have a relative beginner with us who is liking the run at the top of the Bernkogel (and the road off to the right), but progression from this seems difficult in Saalbach. Do you know of any similar slopes in Hinterglemm that are reachable by bus+lift? Or any runs in Saalbach that we should be aware of? He's in his mid-60s and so far refusing lessons, so I'm trying to be as careful as possible!

SO from Saalbach, take Kohlmaisbahn I (H1) to the mid station and then blue 152 back down

At the top of Bernkogel, take blue 147 down and then up lift D6 to Reiterkogel. Then blue 84, left onto blue 80 and then right onto blue 82 down to Hasenauer chair. You could then go down blue 76 and up D5 Sunliner chair and repeat 84, 80 and 82. Or take Hasenauer chair up and take blue 73 and then blue 58 to Hochalm area. From there you can download via Hochalmbahn and get the bus back or try blue 50 from top of Spieleck chair.

Apart from the aforementioned blue 146 Bernkogel run, the above runs are about the best progression runs you will get. Nearly every other blue slope (that is not a connecting piste that goes across the mountain), is quite steep. I would personally regrade most of the blues as red slopes.

There may be some options over at Leogang but I'll let Richard (Tatman) advise you about these.
snow report
@jimmybog, It's all a bit subjective, but to my mind pistes 80/82 and 73 might be a little more challenging (i.e. steeper and potentially mogully) in places than Valluga has in mind. There are definitely options at Leogang; however getting over there and might be a bit much for a near beginner. Fieberbrunn also has some nice, easy slopes, and it's actually easier to bypass the steeper runs, both there and back, by using the gondolas. I did this with my sister - a somewhat nervous skier - a couple of seasons ago, and she really enjoyed her day. Pistes 105 and 110a are graded red, but are within the capacity of most blue run skiers.
ski holidays
I think the inference that the member of Valluga's party is happy on the top part of the Bernkogel, suggests the bottom part (146) is a bit much for now, so I think that has to be the base line for suggestions. In which case there really isn't much. For example would you say piste 4, 80 or 152 are easier than 146? Mr Tatman is, as ever, quite right to say that by heading to run 31 before going to 30 bypasses all but one of the steeper pitches on the top half of the Zwolfer. I think it would be the best bet, unless you really are prepared to make a trek on lifts until you are nearly at Fieberbrunn.
If piste 146, the bottom part of the Bernkogel is do-able for the member of your party, then all the above suggestions are good, and, as tatmanstours says, keep a look out for easier side routes, there are plenty about.
ski holidays
Quote:

For example would you say piste 4, 80 or 152 are easier than 146?

I think so, yes. In my experience they are less of a challenge than the lower half of the Bernkogel in terms of both length and gradient.
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
@jimmybog, It's all a bit subjective, but to my mind pistes 80/82 and 73 might be a little more challenging (i.e. steeper and potentially mogully) in places than Valluga has in mind. There are definitely options at Leogang; however getting over there and might be a bit much for a near beginner. Fieberbrunn also has some nice, easy slopes, and it's actually easier to bypass the steeper runs, both there and back, by using the gondolas. I did this with my sister - a somewhat nervous skier - a couple of seasons ago, and she really enjoyed her day. Pistes 105 and 110a are graded red, but are within the capacity of most blue run skiers.

Yes its subjective and I have just re-read Valluga’s post. I was under the impression Valluga was looking for appropriate progression slopes rather than something similar to the top of slope 146. You could say that first section of blue 84, second section of blue 82 and blue 58 are all similar in gradient to top of blue 146. But yes unfortunately to do these also involves steeper and possible mogully sections on blue 80 and blue 73. I eventually manged to progress and do all the slopes I have mentioned. But yes they are mainly progression slopes and you do have to actually do some proper skiing in sections, rather than just cruising along like you do on top of 146.
latest report
Tatmanstours. Fair enough. Personally, I wouldn't, (not that I'm saying there's much in it), which just goes to show how subjective this, er, subject is. Either way, I think Valluga, has been given options, (and I'd love to hear the feedback when you have tested them), and I hope you have a successful holiday in such a great area.
latest report
Colinthc wrote:
. For example would you say piste 4, 80 or 152 are easier than 146? .

I would say piste 4, 80 and 152 are all easier than 146, assuming you are talking about bottom section of 146 below the Bernkogel gondola mountain station

As I recall:

Bottom section of 146 is quite steep and is quite a long run and definitely mogully from mid-morning onwards

Piste 4 starts as a nice easy schuss, then turns left onto a steeper section which is steep for maybe a 100 metres or so, then turns into a nice easy trail down to the Limberg chair. Steeper section can be mogully later in the afternoon but nothing like 146. Also found snow up here far better than on bottom of 146

Piste 80 starts as a nice easy track then becomes steeper and mogully for a short section, assuming you turn off right onto 82. Otherwise it remains steep and mogully all the way down to Sunliner chair (in which case I would agree its just as hard as 146). Otherwise if you turn onto 82 then its far less daunting than 146

Piste 152. Now I’m assuming you mean 152 from Kohlmaisbahn mid station down. If you mean the section from the top then I can’t comment. But from the mid station, it’s a relatively easy track back down providing the snow isn’t too soft. Again less daunting than 146.
latest report
Ha-ha, maybe my recollections are coloured by the fact that I usually did 146 early in the morning coming from Hinterglemm, as I tried to get through Saalbach before the morning rush, so I usually remember it as a beautifully groomed, fairly empty piste - perfect for bombing. Conversely I tend to consider the Kohlmais as a slushy, busy mogul-fest as I tended to ski it later on, heading back. Incidentally, one other suggestion for Valluga... Ski bus to the Zell am see express, and from the top work your way on blue runs to the Kappellenbahn. From the top of here ski down to the Breiteck lift, which, though sometimes busy, is a very straightforward easy blue. Definitely easier than any run mentioned above. Bit of a trek, but maybe that's part of the attraction. The views are excellent in good conditions.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy