Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Too steep to groom?

Poster: A snowHead
Wear The Fox Hat, I think I have done something along those lines on particulalrly steep, rocky and icy slopes. In those situations I sometimes use what I think is a kind of bastardised stem turn; a sort of glorified snowplough in which the uphill ski is moved into a snowplough postion and weight transferred onto it. Seems to work, and while not what you'd call stylish, it doesn't look too undignified.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
eng_ch wrote:
Sounds like what I was taught as a "power slide", particularly for steep pitches - initiate the turn as usual, but somewhere past the fall line, rather than completing the carved turn, tip the skis onto their flats to change direction to move down instead of across the slope, thereby losing height, then engage the edge again as you want to make the next turn - good way of losing height and controlling speed, but takes some guts to start with. But hardly the flailing "fling yourself round 180 degrees" that Easiski was describing Wink

I don't think what you're describing is bracquage. What I've been taught is a series of linked, side-slipped turns, which don't have any pause or stem in between the turns. Steering of the ski is done only by foot/leg rotation, with no control using your ski edges whatsoever. It's a useful drill, and quite tricky to get right if you try to steer with your shoulders rather than your feet (which is what I think easiski was describing).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar.org.uk, why would you not want to use your edges when turning?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well tehcnically you always use your egdes - if you didn;t then you'd never turn. but this technique is used to alter your line without the forward momentum that usually comes when you get a good egde grip
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
richmond, bracquage is a drill (I suppose it might be useful in very limited circumstances), and it's good for practising steering your skis by foot/leg rotation. I don't think I've ever used pure bracquage to steer skis when I've been free skiing, but I would say that all of us use foot rotation as part of our skiing every day (usually blended with the other two steering techniques).

nbt, it's perfectly possible to turn without using your edges: it's called bracquage Wink If you use your edges it makes bracquage more difficult.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It is very relaxing to turn by just tilting you feet in your bootsand performing a gentle carve. I think there will always be some automatic knee flexion when you do this. Almost sends me to sleep and I feel strangely in control and contented
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, isn't that exactly what you're supposed to do (not go to sleep, tilt your feet and carve perfectly)?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richmond, Laughing well yes I suppose so. I mean no up and down, no pole plant no hip movement, just stand in your normal ski position and tilt those feet.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
richmond, Laughing well yes I suppose so. I mean no up and down, no pole plant no hip movement, just stand in your normal ski position and tilt those feet.

Sounds to me like a recipe for crossed tips and a faceful of snow Shocked Embarassed Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
richmond wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, why would you not want to use your edges when turning?

1. restricted space
2. speed control
3. just because you can
(for me, turning a ski is about having a variety of methods available to me, and choosing the most appropriate one for each turn, or series of turns)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Red Leon wrote:

Sounds to me like a recipe for crossed tips and a faceful of snow Shocked Embarassed Laughing

That would occur if you are too far in the back seat.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Red Leon wrote:

Apparently 'up and down' is so last century. Perhaps easiski can comment.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
richmond wrote:
Red Leon wrote:

Apparently 'up and down' is so last century. Perhaps easiski can comment.

Side to side is what you want, mate. None of this up and down business Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richmond, I didnt mean to do it ALL the time Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yeah up and down is considered a bit out of date now.
snow conditions
wrote:
Yeah up and down is considered a bit out of date now.

Just remember it all comes around again eventually so you could be ahead of your time .... way ahead Smile
ski holidays
Nick_C,

Yep, don't worry about it, use it if you need it. If you learnt old school and adopt new school you have more ways to skin the cat.
ski holidays
Braquage is a drill for pivoting and/or foot/leg rotation.

Although it may sound like what easiski was describing hapless folk coming down the hill, when this drill is done properly, it does not involve any upper body movement. So no swinging of the shoulders nor hips. Just turning those femurs.

Up and Down (or Flex & Extend) is still used in early stages of learning by means of flattening the ski or returning to neutral. However as your skiing advances we try to change this into moving the CoM across, rather than vertically up and down.

It's useful to keep a variety of tools/techniques/tactics in your toolkit for all round skiing.
snow conditions
... including an electrical screwdriver
snow report
nbt wrote:
Indeed, "eegreck" is how the french pronounce the letter "y" - literally translated, it's greek "i", as opposed to a "I", and it would be spelled "I grècque"

easiski wrote:
As already explained this "technique" involves a completely flat ski on a steep slope (ice is optional). The "skier" then flings their entire body around 180 deg until they're facing the other way. Their edges never touch the snow, they continue down the hill in a more or less vertical descent, merely changing the direction of their ski but never, never their direction of travel.

Well, on my Dave Murray Camp, we spent a few pistes practicing this technique - our instructor called it "Braquage", although I may have the spelling wrong. In essence, it's sideslipping but without traversing the slope - useful for just losing a little height in rocky areas etc was the reasoning, I think Smile

*edited to add french pronunciation and spelling*

Correct - thought a phonetic spelling would make it easy for peeps.

Braquage is not at all the same - it's a controlled exercise for foot pivoting and edge control - these people (if you didn't read it) are usually doing about 40kph on a steep black and ARE TOTALLY OUT OF CONTROL - there are lots of these, and you should nto try to excuse them by confusing their total lack of skiing ability with an advanced exercise. Twisted Evil
snow report
Apoligies for rant, but it's late and these peeps frighten me to death - they should not be on a black run at all! (Whatever the conditions and in all liklihood would not pay any attention to posted warnings!)

I agree, extension can still be used, but in any case is now a pressured extension to ease the initiation of the turn for less experienced skiers - it's a slow movement, not at all like the "pop" we used in the old days. As veeeight, says, you later convert the movement into a more progressively lateral one.
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
I agree, extension can still be used, but in any case is now a pressured extension to ease the initiation of the turn for less experienced skiers - it's a slow movement, not at all like the "pop" we used in the old days. As veeeight, says, you later convert the movement into a more progressively lateral one.

Following a train of thought here - presumably since you are meant to be moving all the time when you're skiing anyway, there will inevitably be flex and extend in your legs otherwise you would be skiing with stiff, instead of soft, legs? So it's all a question of direction, not the movement itself? I realise I'm simplifying to an extreme...
latest report
direction and timing I would have thought.....
as easiski said above slowly the old up was a "pop" .....

then again... learn to ski in canada and you can have canadians teach you to "bob" like a canadian and hunch like one too.... (I have 2 very nice canadian instructors)
The funny thing is that they ski that way in demos but not when THEY ski.... I know the bob bit well as I regularly copped flack from my other instructors for having developed the canadian bob while skiing with the canadians..... To save the grief we had to decide that from then on the canadians would refer to "long" for when they wanted that extension and we would no longer do "up" and "down" .... (they can do this as they DO ski this way but have not learnt demos this way.... I try to ignore the UP part in a demo if they do it by mistake for me)
ski holidays
eng_ch wrote:
easiski wrote:

Following a train of thought here - presumably since you are meant to be moving all the time when you're skiing anyway, there will inevitably be flex and extend in your legs otherwise you would be skiing with stiff, instead of soft, legs? So it's all a question of direction, not the movement itself? I realise I'm simplifying to an extreme...

It depends on what you want to achieve in the turn.

Some people talk about lower/upper body separation, for example in the case of "cross over" or "cross under" turns there will be very little up/down movement going on above the waist, and your head will be travelling almost straight down the hill, your torso will move slightly across the hill, and your legs will be flexing and extending, but only to absorb the terrain and to keep the edges engaged in the snow to make the turns.
snow report
Ah yes of course, timing. Reminds me of a Hagar cartoon we used to have up in a rehearsal room:

Hagar: You know what was wrong with that? The timing was all out!
Rest: So, what was wrong with that?

Maybe it doesn't work without the pictures Wink

Laughing

Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:
and your legs will be flexing and extending

er, QED Laughing Even if your legs go down and your upper body is still, they are still flexing and extending so in fact flex/extend and up/down are different, albeit related at times?
snow report
eng_ch wrote:
er, QED Laughing Even if your legs go down and your upper body is still, they are still flexing and extending so in fact flex/extend and up/down are different, albeit related at times?

Yes. It's more of a flex/extend movement at an angle, and only involving your legs, rather than a near vertical up/down movement of the body.

(and just to add for the dogmatists, it is not the only way to turn, but it is another way to turn)
latest report
nbt wrote:
Indeed, "eegreck" is how the french pronounce the letter "y" - literally translated, it's greek "i", as opposed to a "I", and it would be spelled "I grècque"

Thanks, NBT (and others).

So this run, in English, would be called "The Y" which is where the confusion came from - I had assumed it was the same sort of 'y' as in, eg "y-a-t-il?" or "allons y" where the 'y' is pronounced 'ee'. Hence I would have pronounced the run 'l'ee and drawn some blank looks from the locals, I guess!! Embarassed
ski holidays
Red Leon wrote:
So this run, in English, would be called "The Y"

Is there a restaurant on the run, where one could dine? Shocked Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, contrary to almost everything that has been said - there is one turn which is ALL up-and-down and in its most extreme form quite correctly involves no carving or steering or (much) sliding and may involve coming to a full stop for a moment after each turn - and that's the jump turn as done in a steep, narrow couloir.
latest report
snowball, very true!
snow conditions
snowball, for some reason I remember that type of turns very clearly!
latest report
Aha, Cedric, greetings - yes indeed. Have you put anything about the Dolomites on-line yet? I only just got back to the web a few minutes ago.
ski holidays
snowball, here's a photo of that couloir where jump turns were advisable, but I'm hoping to upload the full trip report today: http://www.biglines.com/photos_large.php?photo_id=56203
snow conditions
Nice photo - but did you need to draw the line down it? I can't see where else we might have skied! PS. for anyone else - the couloir was about 300 metres, top to bottom, so not as narrow as it looks.
ski holidays
Snowball, without the line it looks just like a scenic mountain photo - I still have the original, too!
snow conditions
Quote:

so not as narrow as it looks

still looks pretty narrow to me Skullie
ski holidays
By the way, going back to the original thread title, it seems to me that almost any piste is easier to ski if it has been pisted.

At les Arcs I once saw the steep top section of a black piste being groomed by a piste-basher which was being winched up and down the slope on a cable by another piste-basher sitting on the flat area at the top. The slope was too steep for the vehicle to drive up normally . Do all the machines have a winch on top? Anyone else seen something like that?
latest report
snowball wrote:
By the way, going back to the original thread title, it seems to me that almost any piste is easier to ski if it has been pisted.

At les Arcs I once saw the steep top section of a black piste being groomed by a piste-basher which was being winched up and down the slope on a cable by another piste-basher sitting on the flat area at the top. The slope was too steep for the vehicle to drive up normally . Do all the machines have a winch on top? Anyone else seen something like that?

I think only some have winches. I've seen a piste-basher use its winch with a snow anchor is order to push a vast amount of snow back up the piste: I was staying at the bottom of the blue Folyere piste in La Tania at the end of the season, and they were pushing the snow back up the mountain to keep things skiable for the last few days.
snow report
I think it was the l'Ourse run, BTW.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Red Leon wrote:
So this run, in English, would be called "The Y"

Is there a restaurant on the run, where one could dine? Shocked Laughing

Are you actually Michael Winner Puzzled
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy