Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2019/2020 (MArch Weather -- Variable --Snow On and Off)

Poster: A snowHead
Forecasts are a bit more optimistic than all of you...
Some little dust on 7th....and after on 10th we are talking some more serious thing.

Still nothing confirmed, but I'm expecting something on 10/01, to determine if we are talking about 10 or 30cm...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Steilhang wrote:
@drporat, if you feel comfortable in all conditions, why not? I once did an off piste course (in 1987) in St. Anton, when there was only 50cm at the Valluga. Was brilliant!

I am not that good yet. Still struggling off piste, so I'm hoping next week will bring something better. Nevertheless I intend to enjoy myself on whatever is available
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@drporat, off piste is more than "perfect" powder, it's about learning how to ski all terrain in all conditions. Perhaps hire an instructor for an off piste lesson vs "just" a guide??
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AlTom, GFS isn't showing much at all after/on 10/01, where are you seeing something more promising?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kitenski, indeed.
I am not looking for perfect conditions while skiing or generally in life.
We all know the saying: " Life isn't about waiting for the rain to stop. It's about learning to dance in the rain"
Initially I planned to book an off piste guide with the aim of choosing something simpler/less steep so I can work on that.
But in those conditions I'll probably limit myself to the red ski route plus on piste.
Thanks for the good advice.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@drporat, I'm sure you'll have fun, mild, blue sky and plenty of snow!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Actually GFS is showing that is "cooking something" on those dates

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@AlTom, broad agreement there will be a few cms of snow on Friday but beyond that not much on the horizon. Morris' ever optimistic algorithm suggests a total of 20cm at the mid station, though experience suggests a realistic amount is usually around half the forecast figure https://wepowder.com/en/st-anton-am-arlberg#valluga . Maybe we will be lucky and there will be more than forecast.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Im your best Forecaster...

Nothing is happening snow wise until the 10th
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No snow until at least 19 januari
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton wrote:

Well you've started my day with a right chuckle, cheers!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:
stanton wrote:

Well you've started my day with a right chuckle, cheers!
he has massively parallel cows to calculate it for him. Can't go wrong.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Langerzug wrote:

Really? Do you have advanced meteorology training or fortune-telling?

In my experience, anything more than 4 or 5 days out becomes a crapshoot. You claim to be able to forecast almost 2 weeks out. Wow!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just saying the snow for 11 january is practically off the radar, and that both ZAMG (Austrian), and Meteoblue (Swiss) are showing sun until 19 january
We are in a typically longlasting H-pressure situation
snow conditions
Still saying some snow on Jan 10.. Cows always get restless a couple days before a Full Moon ..

if not then we will have to wait until

February 9th.
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
Still saying some snow on Jan 10.. Cows always get restless a couple days before a Full Moon ..

GFS is backing off from snow on the 10th at the moment and going for another warm blip.... Cows maybe need a reboot!
snow report
A nice freshen up of the pistes on Saturday (nobody around because of the weather) where we found boot top snow in Zurs. Up early Sunday morning for blue skies and lovely piste conditions. Pretty busy and Schindler & Valfegehr was getting cut up by noon.
latest report
ulmerhutte wrote:
Langerzug wrote:

Really? Do you have advanced meteorology training or fortune-telling?

In my experience, anything more than 4 or 5 days out becomes a crapshoot. You claim to be able to forecast almost 2 weeks out. Wow!

I don't put any serious credence in more than 3 days unless there is a very obvious weather system brewing, After that, I trust the cows too Smile
ski holidays
We should still get a few cms of dandruff tomorrow night ...
ski holidays
About 10-13 seasons ago Something similar to this happened between Mooserwirt & Galzigbahn except the Skier was sleeping (around 10pm) on the backside of an ungroomed mogul.. The victim was shreaded into Burger Meat and the PistenBully Driver never worked again (shock).

https://vorarlberg.orf.at/stories/3029287/
snow conditions
@stanton, that's the risk you take skiing on closed pistes, though the assumption is that is was properly marked as closed. Its the piste basher driver I feel sorry for, he was only doing his job.

I hope those skiing down the Steissbachtal take note.
snow report
Had a couple of good days in st.anton.

Still able to found some packed powder and old soft snow in N and W faces if you search for. This afternoon in S steep faces things soften up and also was able to ski most areas around schindler-mattun.

It's necessary new snow ASAP but in the meantime conditions are better than I expected.

Of course those skiing mainly in pistes are in good conditions, only S orientations a bit damaged at the end of the day.

About steisbachtal, there a massive cuts above it, and taking into account temperatures and forecasts, I expect won't be opened soon.
ski holidays
Currently sitting in a train at Buchs. It really does feel like spring. Foothills of the Alps are greener than I have seen them in January for a long time; perhaps greener than in mid-March, when we usually leave. The sky/light does not feel like winter.

C’est la vie. We have had 2 awesome winters in a row. Let’s see what this winter brings. Too early to call this one...
latest report
@ulmerhutte, it is 10degrees above normal for January all over North Western Europe (inc Austria ,Schweiz)..

If there had not been had the early December snow... skiing would be limited to grass by now !!

Couple of cms tonight hopefully but no more new snow in sight for at least 10days and it is going to be Spring Like Temperatures !!
latest report
And despite all that you say, still today was able to found some old cold snow.

Really quiet around, lots of russians/ucranians spending their "christmas", 0 queues, includig Madloch and Zug.

So, of course 1 year ago was amazing all that powder, but it's not that bad!! IMO
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, the weather geeks are beginning to push a change in the weather in about a weeks time, a move to colder snowier conditions seems possible. Lets hope it happens.
ski holidays
I was actually quite surprised how much snow there was when I arrived in StA. It certainly did look like mid-spring on the way in. The caravan park not far from Langen is usually buried in snow, but not yesterday. The vans were sitting in fields of green.

I expected to see the front slopes covered in brown and green, with narrow carpets of white, but no, they looked pretty decent. There is even snow on our back deck. Did not ski yesterday. Settling-in afternoon after 30+ hours of travel. Looking forward to today...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Leaving out for Galzig right now, expecting a wonderful spring day. It is what is is Laughing
snow conditions
@drporat, Your late..Lifts open at 08:45 !
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
@drporat, Your late..Lifts open at 08:45 !

Correct, it won't happen again. Laughing
First day of the season for some of my buddies. Too much faff
snow conditions
The Wolfs Moon bought some shiny snow dust to the very high alpine !!

Never fails to do so.
latest report
@drporat, Its a pity for the tourists that the lift company changed the opening times a few seasons ago from 08:30 to 08:45

They now only open 08:30 when the clocks change to summer time ....
ski holidays
I am surprised how well the pistes are holding up. Pretty much full cover. I guess we have the cold temps, at least until yesterday, to thank for that (and a huge snow-making effort).

The off-piste? I have only ventured into the side piste so far and, as you might imagine, it is, well, pretty sketchy.

Nice to have beautiful bluebird days to get the ski legs back into gear.

Rumour has it that the cows are saying snow on Friday.
snow report
@ulmerhutte, we are lucky there was a good start early season.
I was a bit anxious yesterday due to higher temperatures and sunny skies, but everything held up perfectly till late afternoon. I always return from Lech on Kandahar and was afraid it will be slushy already... what a treat!
On the other hand, in the morning we came down from Tritkopf by ski road 136 in order to get to Zurs just in front of Seekopf (I remember that red 134 doesn't get close to Zursersee as the map shows). Frozen moguls.... Never again. Brrrr Skullie
ski holidays
@drporat, Übungshangbahn + 123 is the way to go to switch sides in Zürs (and also when coming from Zürsertäli (144). Also there the map is not accurate, 144 does’nt get to Zürsersee either)

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 13-01-20 12:34; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Steissbachtal (HappyValley) open again!
snow conditions
@Langerzug, thanks. This is what we did today indeed.And Madlenjoch again to Zug.
snow conditions
Will remain warm until Friday ...

Snow expected for the Weekend but nothing major.... Major = 1-2 Metres !!
ski holidays
We should get the tail of this storm..

https://twitter.com/Alpinwetter/status/1216715252437602312
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy