Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2019/2020 (MArch Weather -- Variable --Snow On and Off)

Poster: A snowHead
Lift Pass Prices 2019/2020 Season

Ski Map

https://www.skiarlberg.at/media/1487/download/Panokarte_2019-20.pdf?v=1

Lift Data

https://www.skiarlberg.at/media/1320/download/Daten%20und%20Fakten%20zum%20Skigebiet%20Ski%20Arlberg%201819%20Version%20St.%20Anton.pdf?v=1

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 5-03-20 11:11; edited 48 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Been going to St Anton every year for sometime. But probably going to leave it off for next year.

Such a reputation for off-piste.... but every day it's either freezing cold boot packs where you can't feel your hands while you tie skis to backpack, or disgustingly sweaty boot packs. Then try to enjoy a few turns with your legs still shaky with tiredness. Followed by unending poling sidesteping and /or cat-tracking to get back to mai road. I mean, a lot of work for few turns at top
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Poor effort @peanuthead, 2 out of 10. I’m sure you’ll get a few takers though! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@SteveKirby, i dont get it
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SteveKirby, i dont get it
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@peanuthead, if you’re sticking with it, please accept my apologies and ignore the post Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Schindlergratbahn

Demolition

https://www.facebook.com/Transporte-Schwarzhans-319996064847229/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@stanton, I know the lift had to be replaced as it was getting quite old but I am a little sad to see it go. The low level journey over the upper slopes of the Schindlerspitze was interesting but the highlight was always the moment coming over the ridge, looking beneath your feet to see a very long drop down one of the Schindler couloirs, the safety bar never seemed to be very substantial. The trip inside a gondola will never be quite the same.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@munich_irish, Gondola Suck.... Having to remove your skis and fighting for a seat ...Really one of the worst inventions for the Ski Hill
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stanton, agreed, any idea why they went for a gondola over a high speed chair with a bubble?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@SteveKirby, one of the reasons is the new lift will have a 'midstation' where the current topstation is (on Schindlerspitze), after that it wil decent a bit towards the top of the Valluga tow lift, where the new endstation comes.
They are doing this to relieve the narrow piste from Schindlerspitze. A six or eight bubble on top of Schindlerspitze would simply be impossible, because of this piste, but also because of frequent high winds up there.

Rumour has it that the planned new Madlochbahn will have a similar set-up. But it will not come before 2020/21
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Langerzug,

Yes Madlochbahn has been re-thought .
Im hearing Madlochbahn & Zugerbergbahn will be Gondola'ised at the same time....

Truly Shocking ..
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh please, not so tendentious. At Zugerberg a gondola is quite logical, and across the Alps gondolas are completely normal already for ages in similar situations. It would also be attractive for non-skiers to come up the mountain from Zug.

By the way, another rumour is that an additional gondola is planned from Zug up to Madloch...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Langerzug wrote:
@SteveKirby, one of the reasons is the new lift will have a 'midstation' where the current topstation is (on Schindlerspitze), after that it wil decent a bit towards the top of the Valluga tow lift, where the new endstation comes.
They are doing this to relieve the narrow piste from Schindlerspitze. A six or eight bubble on top of Schindlerspitze would simply be impossible, because of this piste, but also because of frequent high winds up there.

Rumour has it that the planned new Madlochbahn will have a similar set-up. But it will not come before 2020/21

Makes sense I suppose....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Langerzug, Zug (chair replacement) Gondola is very very contentious as it requires hundreds of trees to be cut down...

The UVP are already onto this!!
latest report
Pffff, a six or eight-bubble would take more trees...
Once upon a time the whole area between Lech and Warth was covered with trees. Probably as long ago as 1500 AD...
snow conditions
As I understand it the new Schindler lift will be similar to the Trittkopfbahn, not all the gondolas will go all the way to the top some will stop at the "middle" station ie the existing top station. I would guess most folk will want to go on to the new station as that will give easier access to the Valgefahr piste. Access to Schindlerkar should be possible from both places.

@stanton, Gondolas are more pleasant when it is -20 degrees and blowing a gale, the Schindlergratbahn was best avoided on such days (assuming it was open).
ski holidays
Shame to see the Schindler chair going, I used to love sitting on there on a sunny day and being up close with the nature, same with the old Albona II. I'm personally not a big fan of gondolas but for speed of getting people up high I can see the attraction.
snow conditions
Langerzug wrote:
Pffff, a six or eight-bubble would take more trees.

yes I know ..

Do not under estimate he power of the UVP...you know that anyway..

Lech Zurs has enough resources to build a Cable Car or a Tunnel/Funicular both option would not require Tree Felling anywhere near what is needed for the proposed.

http://youtube.com/v/FZrtzCXGo74
snow conditions
OK Folks we Should Start thinking about Next Seasons POW Very Happy Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/KxzipZstaLU
snow report
The narrow ridge of Zugerberg at the top is quite challenging... also they will want to keep the Balmalpe restaurant...they will have to be inventive.
snow report
Hmmm... not too many options. There is more space on the other side of Balmalpe, ie between it and Kreigerhorn. I suspect that would however take some fancy routing to not go over those houses at the bottom of Zupert.
snow report
Why do they not consider an underground funicular?? Would mean less closures due to high wind and therefore more "open" days so less refunds when everything shuts down!! Twisted Evil
snow report
Kitzsteinhorn Disaster?
snow conditions
@kitenski, cost of tunnelling is huge compared with a gondola, plus the time it takes and disruption. Funival in Val D'Isere cost €9.1m in 1987 I'd suggest similar from Zug to Balmalpe would be c.€180/200m+.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funival

A German friend we ski with was in the queue for the Kaprun train and narrowly didnt get on the one that was caught in the disaster, thats a sobering thought....

Separate point - I heard 2-3 years ago that there were plans being discussed for a road tunnel from Kloesterle/ Stuben to Zurs/ Lech to avoid the issues at Flexenpass, any news on that?
snow report
Some Interesting "New" Austrian Lift Company Data now published with net debt.

Only a few Lift Companys are debt-free or almost debt-free.

There are a few heavily indebted.

Checkout the Silvrettaseilbahn and the Arlberger Bergbahnen, negative net debt (Nettoverschuldung) means which implies that the company possesses more cash and cash equivalents than its financial obligations, and hence are more financially stable.

http://www.tai.at/files/seilbahn_statistik_2019.pdf
snow report
@Markymark29, There was a plan and probably still exists to bore a Railway Tunnel from St Anton through To Ischgl .
snow report
@Markymark29, that was the Erzberg Tunnel plan. Will not come. Vorarlberg says it's too costly, and the connection not essential.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
latest report
@stanton, The Alber's don't hang about eh?
snow report
Heliopter accident up on Galzig Thursday morning.. Pilot may of had an Epileptic Fit now under investigation at Innsbruck Prosecutors Office.

https://www.tt.com/panorama/verbrechen/15680266/staatsanwaltschaft-prueft-hubschrauber-unfall-in-st-anton

https://www.meinbezirk.at/landeck/c-lokales/st-anton-flugnotfall-waehrend-eines-notarzthubschraubereinsatzes_a3412728

snow report
As always in life, it's all a matter of timing. Imagine what would the consequences be if it would have happened in the air, before or after the uplift...
latest report
Sadly, if it does turn out to be epilepsy, his career as a pilot is probably over. I don’t know the Austrian regulations, but the FAA all but rules out being a pilot with epilepsy. Apart from the personal cost to the pilot, it would be a huge loss to the heli company. That sort of experience and knowledge is not gained overnight.

At least the pilot is still alive. It could have been much worse.
latest report
snow report
2019/2020 Piste & Lift Map

snow conditions
ulmerhutte wrote:
Sadly, if it does turn out to be epilepsy, his career as a pilot is probably over. I don’t know the Austrian regulations, but the FAA all but rules out being a pilot with epilepsy. Apart from the personal cost to the pilot, it would be a huge loss to the heli company. That sort of experience and knowledge is not gained overnight.

At least the pilot is still alive. It could have been much worse.

One of the tests we had to do at Biggin Hill was for epilepsy, so a big thing. Had to sit in front of a strobe light flashing at different speeds to see if it set us off.
latest report
Whoops

https://www.tt.com/panorama/unfall/15711438/segelflieger-streifte-in-pettneu-paragleiter-notlandung-am-berg
latest report
Schindlergratbahn (Base)

snow conditions

snow conditions
A Big Hole for a New Hotel

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy