Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2019/2020 (MArch Weather -- Variable --Snow On and Off)

Poster: A snowHead
Schindlerumlaufbahn construction Fotos over here

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=991&start=4575#p5209846
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

http://youtube.com/v/SbAMC3AWQNM
@stanton, I think you have a new strategy to bore us all to death with videos of guys from the Schwabenland muttering about the consistency of the rocks up on Schindler!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steißbachtal

https://www.tirol.gv.at/fileadmin/buergerservice/kundmachungen/bh-landeck/Jul-Dez_2019/Arlberger_Bergbahnen_AG_25072019.pdf
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton wrote:
Steißbachtal

https://www.tirol.gv.at/fileadmin/buergerservice/kundmachungen/bh-landeck/Jul-Dez_2019/Arlberger_Bergbahnen_AG_25072019.pdf

Arlberger Bergbahnen AG; Project "Sliding snow protection for the Steißbachtal 2019"; Process according to the Tyrolean Nature Conservation Act and the Water Law
Number of business - please indicate answers LA-WFN / B-184 / 9-2019 Landeck, 25.07.2019

C U N D M A C H U N G

The Arlberger Bergbahnen AG has applied to the Landeck District Commission with a written input from 12.07.2019 for the granting of a nature conservation and water law approval for the implementation of the project "Gleitschneesicherung Steißbachtal 2019".

Description of the project:
The Arlberger Bergbahnen AG intends to establish a permanent slip-off protection against gliding snow avalanches in the area of ​​the Rissbach valley.

As in the past winter season at the affected sites again and again Gleitschneerisse have formed and these are also gone as Gleitschschneelawinen, measures to secure the underlying ski slope 55 through the Steißbachtal are required.

In the two previous winters of 2017/2018 and 2018/2019, there was a longer-lasting lock on this track due to the sliding snow situation, which is comparatively easy to handle even for inexperienced skiers. As a result, avoidance routes had to be used, which are much more difficult to navigate.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is a bit more explanation on the second page.

"In 2013, similar type of structures were built in the immediate vicinity of the project area, these achieved very good results in preventing snow slides. In 2018, the Arlberger Bergbahnen AG decided to further expand the project area. The existing protection system was optimised and was able to demonstrate its effectiveness in the winter of 2018/2019 when there was a high risk of glide snow conditions. Considering this it would make sense for the protection against glide snow avalanches to be extended even more"
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@munich_irish, sounds a bit bland. Were there not some rumours being spread by someone that there was some some of secret illuminati conspiracy at work, that only those in the know, nudge nudge wink wink, knew about? Is it not possible that this bureaucratic explanation somehow conceals a dark message?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nozawaonsen wrote:
@munich_irish, sounds a bit bland. Were there not some rumours being spread by someone that there was some some of secret illuminati conspiracy at work, that only those in the know, nudge nudge wink wink, knew about? Is it not possible that this bureaucratic explanation somehow conceals a dark message?

Best ask Stanton about that then?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Still stands. Two Families own the land ..

Whatever, nothing will happen up there before this season..

I wish they just leave it as is "own risk" off piste and no grooming or control.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It possibly has something to do with the habit of wanting to ride fixies over mountain passes on the basis that bikes with gears are only for sissies Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@munich_irish, and those two families race fixies up and down Steißbachtal every night when no one is watching causing the ground to shake and setting off avalanches! Got it!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@nozawaonsen, Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@munich_irish, @nozawaonsen, Your might be surprised to who has been vehemently objecting to any iron work.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@stanton, you could tell us and that might be interesting. Or you could not. And that would make your post a bit dull.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
New Ski Piste to be presented September 19th St Anton Gemeinde

Project …"Neubau Skipiste Waldabfahrt - Waldschneise"

Ingress Blue Piste St Christoph linking to the Old Ski Piste Egress St Anton...

Dont expect anything in next 3-5yrs as there will be plenty Nature objections will have to be fought..
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Dont expect anything plenty Nature objections will have to be fought..

Good.....leave it to nature, and off piste.
latest report
@Markymark29,

Most of the land in this instance is owned by St Anton....

There are already some locals (well known ) who have raised nature concerns...

Some are saying sort out Steißbachtal first and 2nd variant from Galzig will not be needed....

Anyway the presenraion is September 19th 10:00 St Antom Gemeinde.
latest report
@stanton, if it is feasible to "recreate" an old ski run (not sure they were ever pistes in the current sense) from St Christoph / Galzig down to Moos that would probably be a good thing. The Steissbachtal is not really an "easy" run and can become unpleasantly crowded so another option would be ideal. The issue is how much infrastructure is needed for a modern ski piste - avalanche protection, snow canons etc and how that might impact on the local environment. If it means cutting down lots of tress and building yet more snow canon ponds then not sure I would be in favour.
latest report
Quick question folks, do more hotels become available on the St Anton website in a couple of months time?

When we booked St Anton a couple of years ago in late September there were plenty of hotels available. Been having a look at the site over the last day or two and can find very little for the same dates next year.
latest report
You can read more about the first Gemeinde (Council) thoughts & proposal Punkt 9 (Point 9)

https://www.st-anton.at/fileadmin/user_upload/Gemeinderatsprotoll.pdf
ski holidays
@stanton, clearly something that is going to run and run. Did note the comment from the Bürgermeister towards the end of the discussion that since the construction of the Flexenbahn the pistes are busier.
snow report
Schindlergrat/Valluga

http://youtube.com/v/cu3TwhWLkBY
snow report
Yey, another well thought through Arlberger Bergbahn construction, now the top half of Schindler will be as nerve racking as the bottom half to Raus ! Oh well at least Kapall will get quieter.
ski holidays
@Jefferson Darcy, I have seen similar comments from other people, not sure why. Perhaps contact the tourist office directly?
ski holidays
hsdee wrote:
Yey, another well thought through Arlberger Bergbahn construction, now the top half of Schindler will be as nerve racking as the bottom half to Raus ! Oh well at least Kapall will get quieter.

I don’t follow. Why do you think the top half will be “nerve racking (sic)”? Why would Kapall get quieter?
latest report
Ulmerhutte,
Since they built Flexi, many people ski in this direction to Zurs. So below the original Ulmerhutte it is just far far too busy now far too often unless you are one of the first or at lunchtime. I get by on skis and this run when busy genuinely makes me nervous and sometimes actually a bit scared. If I'm skiing with slower friends I'm worried that i or they may get hit from behind, if I'm skiing with faster friends there often seems to be an erratic lunatic who thinks he can go faster when like a busy motorway its really not feasable as there's not really the space due to all the other people. I really hope soon they will put a second parallel piste there. My concern now with a 10 pax multi gondola is that now the top half of Schindler to Ulmerhutte will be overloaded. It was always a nice early option to blow away a hangover on Schindler chair, blast this and back down happy to town instead of Raus (too busy) so now this will be busy too. I appreciate something needs to be done to alleviate the insane queues that have occasionally formed at Arlenmahder, and the lift is getting old like the rest of us, but i don't feel this is a solution.
I totally resent the new Albonabahn, it's destroyed laps on the top of half of Stuben, i wonder how it has affected Stubens lunch trade. I resent how the newish Gampen restaurant from the AB has affected the trade of the huts below it, though it did need replacing, was there really the need for such a monster. Recently I'm not a great fan of AB and the solutions they have found to the problems they felt they faced.
Anyway since the Flexi-bona i have noticed skiing on the Anton side of Galzig and Kapall has generally been much quieter when the weathers good which is an ok consolation, selfishly for me at least.
snow report
@hsdee, I will miss the old Schindlerbahn too, it was a slow but (in good weather!) nice ride. You felt close to the expanse of snow on the wide slope beneath the Schindlerspitze and then coming over the ridge you found yourself suspended over a long drop of of one of the Schindler couloirs. It was always interesting because skiing the couloir is way beyond my ability but it did give a bit of a taste of the experience. Securely encased in a plastic bubble will not be the same.

Most times I use the lift to access the Schindlerkar (often the best snow in St Anton and a pleasure to ski) and I doubt the new lift will increase traffic on that too much though on powder days the snow will get skied out even quicker. Even for the top part of the Valgefahr I am not sure it will have that much of an effect. The first bit is fairly steep for a "red" run and that will put many folk off (I guess the "Nur für Geübte" sign will remain) but I am sure there will inevitably be more traffic at busy times. It will also make access to Mattunjoch easier but not many folk ski that anyway.

Complaints about crowds have become a bit of a theme around here in recent years. The Flexenbahn does seem to have taken most of the blame (as noted above even the Mayor of St Anton has noticed the increase in numbers) but not sure that is the whole story. More efficient lifts mean shorter queues but that equates to busier pistes at peak times. Creating more pistes is not really an option even if the mooted piste from St Christoph to St Anton does happen. I suppose the solution is to brush up on your off piste skills Very Happy
ski holidays
Old schindler was fantastic even if one did have to occasionally push to get there. (now you won't have to).
I am struggling to understand where the busy-ness comes from it's not like bed numbers have increased hugely, well actually I blame flexi too, it's changed the whole dynamic. But why the need for so many gondolas... unless absolutely necessary i avoid them, full of noisy people shut together for a few minutes giving each other their germs.... ewwww no thanks...
snow conditions
@hsdee, actually I do wonder whether bed numbers might have increased given the increase in hotels. The real answer would lie in whether lift ticket sales have increased. Do AB provide these stats?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Our St Anton friends say that bed numbers had increased “significantly” in recent “years”.

From my observations, there are now a lot more accommodation houses than when we first started coming to StA 17 years ago. Nassereinerstraße is a lot more built up, with almost no free blocks. Ditto, the area around Moos and Mooserkreuz. It was only 3 or 4 years ago that one bus was required to service Linie 4 in the morning. Now, 2 buses, and sometimes both are all but packed by the second stop.

The other change has been as marked increase in short stays, ie weekends, or a few days longer. Once upon a time, Saturday, ie traditional changeover day, was a lot quieter than the rest of the week. Not so much the case now.
snow report
I would like to point out another quite interesting topic, very shortly mentioned, from the council meeting:
St.Anton is considering a Skischuhverbot too (think Ischgl) Toofy Grin
latest report
@Langerzug, I can honestly say I’ve barely noticed the impact in Ischgl.
latest report
The whole layout/terrain/gradients at top of new Midstation schindlergrat and Endpoint station vallugagrat T bar will look and feel alot different (much easier) if they finish the project on time.......

General policy now is to widen pistes for the pussy carpet skiers to injure and kill themselves on....

Im so glad Rendl/Kappl got canned Very Happy
snow conditions
@Langerzug, Skischuhverbot

If you go back over he years you can see many business places adopting ..

They may bring in a Public law but imo it will be ignored by Police/Street Wardens unless its reported by someone and i expect it to be after 21-00-22-00hrs...
ski holidays
@stanton, I would assume that will be the case. The most awkward section was in fact the area directly in front of the top lift station, fairly narrow, usually moguls of one sort or another with lots of folk hanging around.
snow conditions
@Langerzug, I cant see the owners of the Moose, KK etc being in favour. Are there going to be security folk to insist drunks take off boots before stumbling from the bottom of Galzig to the taxi rank? In Ischgl practically all the apres ski spots are in the town rather than up the hill which makes a difference.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, as if the owners of Mooserwirt en KK are the reigning power in St.Anton....
St.Anton used to be an high-end destination, and is losing that. Hotelowners want it back. And hotelowners are indeed the reigning power. But whether they can fight the global growth of lower-class tourism....
snow report
@Langerzug, High End? ??

The Best Apres Ski was always downtown 15:00-06:00 Very Happy
snow conditions
Langerzug wrote:
the global growth of lower-class tourism....

That’s a pretty ugly statement in English. As currently drafted says more about you than anyone else. Maybe you might want to rephrase it.
snow report
@Langerzug, not suggesting they are the only voice. Hoteliers big voice too. Its more about the main land owners and families. Personally I would not want to see the place turned into yet another "high end" tourist destination, it just loses all its character but suspect that is a losing battle.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 2-08-19 5:31; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
nozawaonsen, ulmerhutte

1998 8567 - guest beds, 830,000 overnights (from somewhere in the st anton history webpage)
2018 11600 - guest beds, 1.4 million overnights

Not sure AB gives away it's sales figures but tourist office does publish the above.

Saint Anton has it's own kind of schischuhverbot as most businesses don't let people in after 7/8 anyway....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy