Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2019/2020 (MArch Weather -- Variable --Snow On and Off)

Poster: A snowHead
@Steilhang, they are off on a cycling holiday on their fixies.......
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very warm downtown..
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

http://youtube.com/v/gvyW9xeTizw
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton wrote:
Very warm downtown..

perhaps not the right sort of weather for ice skating on the Zürser See......
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any news on opening this weekend? Is it still on with this fohn?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Official

Until midweek, the front side of a low over the British Isles with a slightly foehny south-westerly current will steer mild air masses towards us. During the second half of the week the weather-determining low will increasingly spread towards Central Europe and the wind will turn north-westward until the weekend. Therewith, the temperatures will gradually decrease, the snow line will sink towards 1,000 m above sea level. A very changeable and partly unsettled weather cycle is expected until Friday. A brief period of improved conditions is forecast in time for the weekend. Starting next week, the current, accompanied by a further low-pressure area, crossing our region, will turn to the north, consequently winter weather is expected also in the lower areas of the valleys
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@stanton, that is simply the ZAMG forecast which is no more official (or more accurate) than any of the others. However no doubt it is going to get colder and (hopefully) snowier than at the moment.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
New Schindlerbahn Video

https://www.facebook.com/Stanton.Arlberg/videos/2587576171321040/?vh=e&d=n&sfns=mo
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snow Alert .. Friday 29th Nov

Strong Föhn (increase in temperature) will follow for the first week of the Season .
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks like Arlberg is getting up to 70-80 cm friday-saturday.
https://m.facebook.com/alpinwetter/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GFS has it getting colder and colder until the 1st Dec, with a brief blip and a 10 degree temp increase, before declining temps back down again by the 3rd Dec. 3 possible bands of snow to arrive in this time period.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@kitenski, yes looking reasonable for a visit next weekend Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@munich_irish, keeping a very close eye as I'm in the area 18-20th Dec....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ischgl opened this morning... Slopes are in good shape...Ski to town officially closed but who cares about that .. Top to Bottom Very Happy What a dump this town has become over the last 20 years Shocked ..............now lets get back to St Anton asap Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski wrote:
@munich_irish, keeping a very close eye as I'm in the area 18-20th Dec....

I'm watching this space too as I might well be in St Anton from 16 Dec to 23 Dec.
snow report
KK Opens on Dec 6th
snow report
@stanton, not often I agree with you but do think that Ischgl is not a nice place, St Anton for all its faults is much better. Skiing is pretty good though, the runs back to town are pretty much the worst bit of the skiing so will not be missed.
snow conditions
@munich_irish,
But can’t help feeling that St.Anton is trying to ‘keep up’ with Ischgl in ugly development...

St.Anton and St.Christoph too have not become prettier last 20 years... an unpleasant mix of Tiroler Kitsch and faux Modern.

Always funny to hear our landlady in Lech say: “Ach ja, die Tiroler lieben Kitsch”

There is indeed a striking difference in architecture style between Vorarlberg and Tirol
ski holidays
@Langerzug, I am afraid the curse of the "luxury" hotel has become more noticeable in St Anton (and Lech) in recent times. All the Austrian resorts have been trading on kitsch for years, I remember my first trip in the mid 80s going to the obligatory "Tyrolean" evening (we were in the Salzburgerland!) for the usual thigh slapping, schnapps drinking and wobbly nail competition! I dont believe the locals ever did any of it (or drank Stroh rum!) except for tourists.
ski holidays
Anybody remember Liliy Stein in St. Anton? For the 'arrivistes' amongst you, Lily ran the Rosanna Stuberl, as it was then called.
latest report
munich_irish wrote:
@stanton, not often I agree with you but do think that Ischgl is not a nice place, St Anton for all its faults is much better. Skiing is pretty good though, the runs back to town are pretty much the worst bit of the skiing so will not be missed.
Agree about Ischgl. Dreadful place. Have not skied there for about 30 years so not sure whether the skiing is OK or not. I just remember the valley run was somewhat distressing. Sheet ice and full of pissheads!
snow conditions
We are off ....

Day 1 Nov 29th
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
@munich_irish,
But can’t help feeling that St.Anton is trying to ‘keep up’ with Ischgl in ugly development...

St.Anton and St.Christoph too have not become prettier last 20 years... an unpleasant mix of Tiroler Kitsch and faux Modern.

Always funny to hear our landlady in Lech say: “Ach ja, die Tiroler lieben Kitsch”

There is indeed a striking difference in architecture style between Vorarlberg and Tirol

Depends where in Tyrol. Places like Alpbach still seem able to do traditional without the cheese.

I don't find Lech any more authentic though tbh. It's gorgeous, but it's forced 'staying behind the times' just as much as St Anton is forcing its 'we're modern and up to date' look a bit too much (overall I still prefer Anton to Lech, and both to Ischgl), compared to those places which really are left behind the times due to lesser tourism.

Obviously you'll never get real authenticity in places that basically exist for tourism. The Steiermark and Oberösterreich ski hills are much more real in that regard, but the majority (Schladming obv the main exception) are too small to ever be real holiday destinations. Could probably say the same for the smaller Vorarlberg and Bregenzerwald areas, but you can feel the influence of the proximity to Switzerland (particularly the CHF wink ) in much of VBG too.
snow report
@stanton, and thoroughly miserable it looks too. Hopefully this means a good deal more snow for when the sun comes out.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, not sure I'd count dumping snow as miserable! maybe at village level it'll be wet and horrible though.....
ski holidays
@kitenski, perhaps its the getting old thing but I prefer to see where I am going these days! Not sure I am a fan of the Yeti look either. It does look like the sort of day when multiple cappuccino / beer stops are required. Hopefully by the time I get there it will mean sunshine with lots of snow Smile
latest report
@munich_irish, I'm 52 and would prefer skiing in fresh snow than a beer! Toofy Grin Very Happy Cool
snow conditions
Looking pretty good on the webcams today: https://www.bergfex.com/sommer/stanton-am-arlberg/webcams/c799/

Anyone in town to comment on real conditions?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clarky999, Yes.

This morning

Östhang ...Compact groomed with some dust.

Kandahar.... perfect

Valley ..Wet...Kunstschnee

Not to shabby for Opening Day.

Tomorrow should be perfect...
latest report
@kitenski, I am a bit older but agree with good snow over beer though by half past three the beer usually wins out Smile
latest report
@clarky999, yes, Lech definitely has its ‘architectual crimes’ too, but somehow the Vorarlberger appear to restrain themselves more than the Tyrolean. Luckily no ‘Schlosshotels’ in Lech.
Although the Gasthof Post is complete kitsch too. And Tyrolean actually in style...Yet done with quality...

And whilst modern architecture can be great, in St.Anton it has become quite messy since 2001.
And, oh dear, in St.Christoph, which used to be so pretty and special...
latest report
@stanton, thanks!
snow conditions
I think ischgl wipes the floor with Anton, but am evidently alone in that view? Lift infrastructure and pistes are superb. In fact the best I've ever experienced in any resort. Facilities on the mountain are excellent. The only downside is the sleazy bit and the ostentatious wealth stuff. Lift infrastructure and pistes in Anton are very poor. Zurs is superb. Lech is like the Versailles of skiing. All of them are similarly overpriced and exploitative. But at least in ischgl they have consistently invested in the infrastructure. Anton's off piste and off piste culture is exceptional and the town is very nice. But the pistes and lift system are just poor. And it's way too popular with english speaking tourists, at least I can't understand Russian.
latest report
@8611, trust you’ve got a bad hangover this morning......either pished, had a bang on the head, or delusional! Laughing
snow conditions
Snow blindness? Altitude sickness?
latest report
Lech and Versailles....??
Not sure what Marie-Antoinette would have thought about that.
snow conditions
Langerzug wrote:
@clarky999, yes, Lech definitely has its ‘architectual crimes’ too, but somehow the Vorarlberger appear to restrain themselves more than the Tyrolean. Luckily no ‘Schlosshotels’ in Lech.
Although the Gasthof Post is complete kitsch too. And Tyrolean actually in style...Yet done with quality...

And whilst modern architecture can be great, in St.Anton it has become quite messy since 2001.
And, oh dear, in St.Christoph, which used to be so pretty and special...

I think that moving railway was wrong, it changed, for the worst, the tradition and atmosphere of St.Anton. International trains arriving in the centre at a 19th century station, the level crossing where passengers and skiers exchanged glances as the trains crawled into and out of the village, the passengers enjoying the Alpine ski scene from their cosy compartments. Few ski resorts could match that for drama and atmosphere. Whilst on the subject of change and trains, I also wished that they hadn't removed the restaurant car on the Railjets, proper waiter service, white linen table clothes, etc.
Despite that St. Anton is still my favourite ski resort.
But fings ain't wot they used to be! Sad
ski holidays
A short video of opening day. Looks like a fantastic way to start. I will take it as a good omen!

https://www.facebook.com/341112772963/posts/10157728815482964?sfns=mo

(Sorry, could not find a native YouTube version.)
ski holidays
Going tp be a great morning ....
ski holidays
I'm looking at coming in from Friedrichshafen on Wed 18th Dec for 3 days skiing, Warth is looking like a decent base for me as flying out from Munich 10pm Friday night. Does the B198 usually stay open from Warth?? Assuming it'd be slow going if snowing heavily so will have to take that into account on the day. Stuben also an option but an extra 24km on the Wed morning but then an extra 59km on the Friday to Munich but presumably better roads??
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy