Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2019/2020 (MArch Weather -- Variable --Snow On and Off)

Poster: A snowHead
All that's left is to tell 'em to get off your lawn.....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When will work on the new Schindlergratbahn be actually be completed? Will there be some sort of inauguration, Joan smashing a bottle against the first gondola? Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@davidthornton, if you would be a building a structure like a skilift (not to mention something like the Schindler), would you know the exact date of completion?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton wrote:
Not advertising but really no more Yuppies who cannot ski ....

https://www.vip-chalets.com/hotels/hotel-arlberg

Brilliant. We stayed at a VIP Chalet in St Anton. And had a great lunch at Hospiz Alm!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BobinCH,
well that then confirms my experiences of having lunch in Verbier/4V.....Hospiz Alm really is so poor (obviously mainly functioning as a cash-cow for the bankrupt Hospiz Hotel...)
For lunch, come to Oberlech next time!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Langerzug, Blimey you truly are a patronising dick aren’t you!!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BobinCH wrote:
@Langerzug, Blimey you truly are a patronising dick aren’t you!!!

There’s 2-3 of them on this thread mate. Know it alls, people who hike for weeks to slide down a slushy patch not bigger than half a squash court, those that think that if you use ski lifts you’re a lesser class of citizen ... the list is endless.

I presume you’ve also come across the taxii driver who has contacts in all the right places, hates tourists (I know) and manages to find untracked powder even in August.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Langerzug wrote:
@davidthornton, if you would be a building a structure like a skilift (not to mention something like the Schindler), would you know the exact date of completion?

Yep! Down to the day, unless it was the first one I'd done, the terrain was completely unknown and had not had any such construction in the area previously by anyone!
St. Anton is not the dark side of the moon. Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@davidthornton, agreed. Any project will have a completion date even if it is subject to change. You might not publicise it widely till you are pretty sure you’ll hit the target mind you.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidthornton wrote:
Langerzug wrote:

Yep! Down to the day, unless it was the first one I'd done, the terrain was completely unknown and had not had any such construction in the area previously by anyone!
St. Anton is not the dark side of the moon. Laughing

It is called a project plan! Yes, estimating error, unforeseen issues, or scope change may impact the end date, but there should also be an end date on the plan.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In more important news, it has been snowing Very Happy with more to come over the weekend. I am sure it will melt away again as September snow normally does but it is always good to see the first few snow flakes of the coming season.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@davidthornton, With Lego I suppose?
Remember this spring? Even our hosts in Lech at 1444 m were surprised about the snow remaining -in the hotels garden- well into June...
Saying that there will be a target date is like stating the obvious.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BobinCH, you might not be aware, but "we ate at Hospiz Alm" is the typical Arlberg-cliché for people trying to show off. Mistakenly so.
In supposedly showy Lech you get much better food at about any restaurant. And, most of all: at much better prices.
And yes, having been to 4V quite often, and always surprised about the poor quality of restaurants, especially in supposedly chique Verbier.
But then, of course, since you were mentioning dicks, what do English bankers know about food?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Every year I find myself reflecting that it’s a shame that a thread devoted to an area as pleasant as the Arlberg ends up being dominated by a few really unpleasant people. This year has got off to a particularly poor start.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@nozawaonsen,

+1
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
In more important news, it has been snowing Very Happy with more to come over the weekend. I am sure it will melt away again as September snow normally does but it is always good to see the first few snow flakes of the coming season.

Lovely symmetry. Up here in The Australian mountains, we are getting what might well be the last decent snowfalls for this winter. A season winding down.

In the Arlberg, winter is having an early training run for the main event a few months away. Very Happy
latest report
@Langerzug, Go away you sad little man
snow conditions
@davidthornton, This project actually started before last season ended.

The work is well advanced and no delays expected , the huge cable drums have been hauled up by truck and will be strung along the pylons and spliced.

https://www.facebook.com/1533450172/posts/10219339231781549/

The Gondola cabins are in St Christoph and need to be trucked up..

There has been hug amount of ground levelling works at the egress new middle station Shindlergrat & end station Valugagrat . The Valley station is just below where it used to.

All new lifts in Tirol side of St Anton are blessed by the Priest pre season.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 6-09-19 11:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@stanton, I assume the project started well before last season. Specifications for the infrastructure, especially the towers, would likely have been done the year before, if not earlier. They would then have been designed and fed into the production queue.

I highly doubt that lifts are built by just picking parts off the shelf.
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen, + 2

Last season (or maybe one before) I suggested we start a new "non-weather", "non-stanton" hosted Arlberg thread but folks seemed to want to keep this one going even though it seems to have a lot of nastyness around. There's no need for it imo, most people on here love the area for what it is, winter and summer it's a fabulous region.
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen, @Markymark29,
+3
The region should be celebrated here, not petty one up-man-ships.
Although (and I know I am in a minority here) I do quite like Stanton's contributions - he's funny.
I am half English & half Dutch, so I guess I understand where he is coming from.
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:

Last season (or maybe one before) I suggested we start a new "non-weather", "non-stanton" hosted Arlberg thread ………..

The Not the Stanton Arlberg Thread...………………. https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=137657
snow report
@skimastaaah, ha there it is!
snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:
Every year I find myself reflecting that it’s a shame that a thread devoted to an area as pleasant as the Arlberg ends up being dominated by a few really unpleasant people. This year has got off to a particularly poor start.

Well said, there are so many smart back bottoms on this thread who always know better than anyone else without taking into account that we all like different things. I’ll be adding a few more names to my ignore list!

At least @bobinch actually posts great pics of skiing rather than talking a load of tosh!
ski holidays
.duplicate

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 6-09-19 21:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Good memories of the Arlberg. Planning the 10 yr anniversary trip next year...

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=74877
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
@davidthornton, This project actually started before last season ended.

The work is well advanced and no delays expected , the huge cable drums have been hauled up by truck and will be strung along the pylons and spliced.

https://www.facebook.com/1533450172/posts/10219339231781549/

The Gondola cabins are in St Christoph and need to be trucked up..

There has been hug amount of ground levelling works at the egress new middle station Shindlergrat & end station Valugagrat . The Valley station is just below where it used to.

All new lifts in Tirol side of St Anton are blessed by the Priest pre season.
Thanks for the update Stanton. That's good news that the valley station is sited a bit lower, in poor vis you'd end up poling/side stepping to reach the old one.
latest report
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First Snow of the season, it still snowing up on the high ground
ski holidays
davidthornton wrote:
Thanks for the update Stanton. That's good news that the valley station is sited a bit lower, in poor vis you'd end up poling/side stepping to reach the old one.

That's what I am trying to understand. The advantage of the 2nd section and of the new position of the valley station.
ski holidays
@drporat,

New valley station is so folks do not have to skate & pole up...in low snopak

It will now be pure glide for the carpet skiers...

New end station... Future.....

See my post new Piste Vallugrat/Matungrat...
snow report
@drporat, the new position of the valley station is a little lower than the old one, this should mean an end to trying to build up enough speed to get up the small incline and inevitably failing......

The new top section will make it easier to access the upper part of the Valgefahr piste. The existing exit was fairly narrow and could be awkward for some, with the increased numbers because of the more efficient lift the new top station makes sense. Stanton did mention rumours of turning the existing Mattunjoch ski route into a piste. This would seem logical in a way as it would mean less crowding on the Valgefahr piste and Schindlerkar route. However he has provided no evidence for this actually happening, if it is going to be turned into a piste there would need to be planning applications etc which I dont believe have been submitted. Another possibility is that Mattunjoch might remain a skiroute but would in effect be prepared much like Schindlerkar or Madloch, this would possibly avoid the need for planning permission though, I am dubious that the initial part of the route could be prepared without various landscaping which would require approval (and raise objections from various quarters). Perhaps Stanton might provide some evidence for the rumour but I doubt that will be forthcoming.
latest report
Meanwhile, in other news..... and without referring to an internet search..... don't do it..... or bad references to early Arnie films .... who is Sarah Connor - advertised for the opening concert party ?
snow conditions
@munich_irish, in reality, the Mattun, below Kapall, is pretty much a piste a few days after a snowfall. So much traffic goes down there that it gets “beaten into submission”. Hardly pristine back country. That said, I would prefer the groomers stayed out of that Valley.
snow report
@ulmerhutte, Agreed regards Mattun being tracked out from Kapall traverse side and not a great run imv (we very rarely do it), it gets very heavy being in full sun when accessed via Kapall, the Mattunjoch side though maintains the snow quality really well for top 1/3 and it'd be a real shame if this was tamed by introduction of itinery status, in effect it'd become a piste and in such an av prone area it'd be unlikely I think.
snow conditions
hsdee wrote:
Meanwhile, in other news..... and without referring to an internet search..... don't do it..... or bad references to early Arnie films .... who is Sarah Connor - advertised for the opening concert party ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Connor_(singer)

Sings plenty of English & German lovey dovey songs.
latest report
@Markymark29, the point about avi risk is a good one, the route is often closed and shares much of the same risk as the Steissbachtal piste. I would hope when the area is closed the lift company do more than put a flimsy barrier in place. Hopefully this discussion is moot anyway as currently no evidence beyond Stanton's rumours that anything is going to happen even if it seems a logical thing for the lift company to want to do.
snow report
DB wrote:

haha did you know without searching..... me not a scooby.... Sorry Anton, could do better.

lovey dovey songs .... yey
ski holidays
hsdee wrote:
DB wrote:

haha did you know without searching..... me not a scooby.... Sorry Anton, could do better.

lovey dovey songs .... yey

Don't try to be a smart 'aarse, I live in Austria. Unfortunately as with the spice girls in the UK during the 90's, theres no getting away from her. (Car Radio, German reality TV, Amazon.de prime playlists, posters advertising concerts in Vienna etc). Knowing who she is is not something I'm proud of, just wanted to warn others.

I also know who Andrea Berg & Helene Fischer are but please don't tell anyone I said that. Embarassed
https://www.gastein.com/events/sound-and-snow/

All can be found on YouTube, but I'll warn you what has been seen cannot be unseen.
latest report
... durch die Nacht... etc. Top stuff!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy