Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2019/2020 (MArch Weather -- Variable --Snow On and Off)

Poster: A snowHead
Remember people, Weather and climate are two different things;
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/noaa-n/climate/climate_weather.html

Enjoy the pow
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe 10cm of fresh on the deck at village level this morning.

Interesting day yesterday. Flexenbahn closed just as we arrived a little after 9am. Not sure if it reopened. Schindlergratbahn closed and then reopened when we got back from Rauz. The wind was pulling snow off the Erzberg Gruppe (spelling?), but it was relatively calm on the Galzig. The snow on the northern aspects was still good, especially higher up, while death cookies and ice were prevalent elsewhere. Not many people around, though it was a bit busier than Sunday.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
40cm reported in Warth Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Current forecast is for snow, in varying amounts, everyday until next Monday. Currently no suggestion of crazy winds either.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@munich_irish, great arriving Saturday
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
With the current levels of snow, do people think that the snow conditions will still be ok in St Anton from 11-18 April ?

I'm planning an Easter break there to get a final trip of the season in. The last two seasons we have been at least a week earlier than this and the conditions were good but there has been less snow this year than the two previous seasons.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jw83113, it should be ok at that time of year. It’ll most likely be pretty springlike by then, but there should be enough snow and hopefully plenty of sun.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowing gently at the moment. Probably less than 5cm of new. Cold temps: -11C on Trittkopf.

StA got about 20cm yesterday. Despite the relatively cold temps, the powder was not “cold smoke”, but it was still fun to ski, especially first tracks. It did clump quickly under traffic.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yesterday was pretty amazing in Lech. The pow was definitely variable but had many white room visits. I looped back down the Madloch about 3.30pm and the snow up there was great and a lot still untracked.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
More on Mondays afternoons Hit And Run on Valfagehr ….. Police are seeking witnesses..

https://www.meinbezirk.at/landeck/c-lokales/skikollision-in-stuben-am-arlberg-polizei-sucht-zeugen_a3964158

Official Weather ….

Neither a prolonged period of stable weather nor pleasant high-pressure conditions can be expected any time soon. Wednesday’s sunshine will very soon be a thing of the past. On Thursday, a strengthening low-pressure system, once again, provides for dull conditions all day long, with light snowfall above 1300 m. At the same time, the strong southerly foehn picking up in the mountains will help to weaken the approaching disturbance slightly. Nevertheless, there are presently no signs of a major weather improvement, neither for Friday nor Saturday. The temperatures will be cold – typical of late winter. Both days will remain unsettled; scattered, light snow showers cannot be ruled out completely. There is still a slight chance of sun now and then though. The forecast for Sunday suggests that conditions should at least remain dry, with occasional sunny spells. The new week once again starts with a strengthening low-pressure system, however the forecast trend in detail must still be regarded as somewhat uncertain.

http://youtube.com/v/EKyCzblqBxU
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@stanton, as I read the article it was not a "hit and run". The other person in the collision stopped and checked all was OK, when it appeared to be they skied off. It was only then the snowboarder realised they had an injury. Perhaps the skier was too quick to leave the scene but this does not appear to be a case of an inconsiderate person causing an accident and simply skiing on.

Where are the Gipslöcher (I guess sink holes in English) on Valfagehr? I know there are some above Lech and Zug and I guess there must be many others in various spots around the Lechtaler alps given that it is mostly limestone but Valfagehr?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The article mentions piste 85, which is the red down from Schindler to the top of Arlenmaehder, and there are some gypsum sinkholes around there from what I can remember of the time I visited in the summer. They were on the Valluga side of the piste, bit further along from when you'd traverse in to do the off piste below the chutes (if that makes any sense?!).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We are planning some ski tours in the region and we were thinking maybe in spend a night in the Konztanzer hütte or vordere malfon alm. Someone here knows how to contact them??
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@AlTom, http://www.konstanzerhuette.com/

https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/summer/hiking/mountain-huts/alps-and-huts-in-and-around-st-anton-am-arlberg-9

Not sure on winter opening.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@AlTom, closed in winter
snow conditions
@Markymark29, though I think DAV members can access the Konstanzer Hutte.
ski holidays
But I mean access to the "winter" areas. I know they aren't serviced....But couldn't be open, and probably you need a key or something...
snow report
@AlTom, on the hut website it says "Winterraum nur mit Schlüssel der Sektion Konstanz zugänglich." ie the winter room is only accessible with a key by members of the Constance section of the DAV. You could try emailing the hut warden to see if it is possible for anyone else to use it. It will possibly help if you are a member of one of the alpine clubs (I guess there is a Spanish or Catalan one).
ski holidays
I send a mail some weeks ago, without any answer. But no problem, there are thousands of peaks in the area...
latest report
Snowed steadily for most of the day.

Rendl was quiet yesterday. Today? For some reason, people decided to congregate there. The best piste skiing was off Riffel 1, though the chair ride did significantly lower the body temperature.
ski holidays
Im down a Crevasse from thanks to this Forums Reichssicherheitshauptamt.

I was prevented from posting some important information about Covid19 outbreaks in Austria.

One thing folks should be aware of is that the Austrian Authorities do not announce anything publicly until they have isolated and traced .

Pettneu.

Its here...see below.

Ischgl

https://www.landlaeknir.is/um-embaettid/greinar/grein/item39194/Skilgreind-ahaettusvaedi---Defined-high-risk-areas

https://grapevine.is/news/2020/03/06/covid-19-in-iceland-37-confirmed-cases-about-400-in-home-quarantine/

Train Vienna to Dornbirn

Last Monday an infected passenger travelled the length of the Country on a Railjet Train (stops in Salzburg, Innsbruck , Landeck & St Anton)

https://www.oe24.at/oesterreich/chronik/vorarlberg/Von-Wien-nach-Dornbirn-Coronavirus-Patient-fuhr-am-Montag-noch-mit-dem-Zug/420313116

Update : Pettneu

There is Norwegian Student quarantined

https://www.meinbezirk.at/landeck/c-lokales/coronavirus-positiv-getesteter-fall-im-bezirk-landeck_a3968250?ref=curate

Official Weather

The recently changeable westerly weather will continue throughout the upcoming days. On Saturday rather fresh high air will reach us along with northerly winds. It will get trapped against the mountains. Isolated snow showers are to be expected, whereby the snow line will probably be in most of the valleys. On Sunday a temporary high will provide for more sunshine despite compact warm air clouds. The next bad weather front will approach already on Monday. It will bring new clouds and some snow or rain showers. Humid conditions are expected towards midweek. The snow line will rise significantly.
ski holidays
Re the Icelandic cases, Tirol have been saying it's more likely that they picked it up at the airport/on the plane https://www.tt.com/artikel/16716404/corona-angst-in-tirol-fruehjahrsmesse-verschoben-aus-fuer-konzerte
ski holidays
@stanton, Just to emphasise the point above, the "Ischgl" case is almost certainly nothing to do with Ischgl, the person involved is likely to have been in contact with someone who had visited northern Italy most likely on the plane home from Munich. The Pettneu case involves someone who was in northern Italy too. Not sure why this information is particularly important. It is hardly news that there are a large number of cases of the virus in northern Italy and that anyone who has visited or is planning to visit the area should take extra precautions. The situation in the Tirol is not considered to be particularly concerning (or at least no more than the general level of concern). The daily official EU wide risk assessment (which can be found here https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/current-risk-assessment-novel-coronavirus-situation ) states

The risk of acquiring the disease for people from the EU/EEA and the UK travelling/resident in areas with no cases, or multiple imported cases, or limited local transmission, is currently considered low to moderate
This is assuming surveillance in the area is activated, tests are carried out on suspected cases and that there is sufficient testing capacity in the area. If these surveillance and case detection conditions are not met, the risk is considered moderate to high, but with a high level of uncertainty.

The Austrian authorities seem to be very active in dealing with any cases that do occur. Clearly being complacent is not good but neither is causing alarm. Following the advice about hand washing especially on the trains is obviously a good idea.
snow conditions
Also, to further clarify Stanton's hype (cos obviously it's better to just post these things without doing a quick check/research), not all the Railjet trains stop at St Anton, they seem to alternate with stopping at either Langen or St Anton. The one that the infected person travelled on is one of the trains that doesn't stop at St Anton, it did however stop at Landeck and Langen.
snow conditions
A nice surprise last night - about 10cm of dry, fresh snow. Headed over to Rendl again. Fantastic skiing until it got tracked out, and even then it was not too bad. More people than yesterday.

Well, that is a wrap. After 8 awesome weeks, it is time to head back to Australia and the forthcoming season there.

It was an interesting season. A thought echoed by the locals we know, people who have lived here all their lives, many of whom make their living on the snow. Mild and almost a weekly freeze-thaw cycle from late January. I have never seen so many rain days, including consecutive days, in February, with rain all the way to the top. Some pretty strong gale-force winds. The effects of the rain and wind can still be seen in places, eg Stuben. That meant some lines that I usually enjoy skiing were either not sensibly skiable or were just not pleasant, eg Knödelkopf.

On the flip side, we still scored many fabulous days, including powder days, storm days skiing Zwischen and Bachseite. They will live on in memory. Overall, I got the impression the crowds were not too bad this year, and less than last year. All in all, (as usual) the positives outweighed the irritants.

An interesting side-note: it seems the local shops have fallen out of love with Kästle. Did not see many of them in the shops, nor did I see too many current models on the pistes. Stöckli, on the other hand, were everywhere, as were Atomic Redsters. Lots of people on tech bindings, even just skiing the piste.

Back here in 305 days. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Semi-official: December 2021, Madlochbahn will be a 6-seater with low capacity and basestation near Muggengratbahn.
Zugerbergbahn will be a 10-pers gondola.
Adaptations (landscaping) to Madloch-route are also planned.
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, it has been an odd season, rain is not unusual in March but is in January! That said conditions have been generally good certainly higher up. Your regular reports are always useful.
snow report
@Langerzug, Does Zug really need a 10 person gondola, I suppose it costs the same as a 6 seater. Hopefully not too much (better none) landscaping on Madloch!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
munich_irish wrote:
@ulmerhutte, it has been an odd season, rain is not unusual in March but is in January! That said conditions have been generally good certainly higher up. Your regular reports are always useful.
Really useful real-time on ground reports.

I think was/is an odd season everywhere. Finally, with march it seems that winter and snowy days are back. Higher up (>1800) snow depths are pretty good . What was worse are the freeze-thaw cycles and temperatures that transformed the snow practically next day or a couple after storms.
snow conditions
@munich_irish,
A gondola for Zug is quite logical. To provide an alternative for closures of Zugertobel and Zuppert, both very avalanche sensitive. And for walkers, going up to Balmalpe and Kriegeralpe. It is also supposed to be open in summer
And 10 pax gondola’s are the standard nowadays
snow report
Quote:

Semi-official: December 2021, Madlochbahn will be a 6-seater with low capacity and basestation near Muggengratbahn.
Zugerbergbahn will be a 10-pers gondola.
Adaptations (landscaping) to Madloch-route are also planned.

@Langerzug, I very much hope you are wrong
ski holidays
@Langerzug, that's true, it will provide a much better facility in the summer which is probably more important than providing a faster service for skiers.
ski holidays
Final update from StA for 2020... as of 7:15am, it is snowing quite heavily. The top hats on the fence posts suggest at least 10cm. Going to be an epic day for who are lucky enough to be skiing. Unfortunately the Bahn we will catching is not going up a mountain... Very Happy
snow conditions
10 cm?
Looks like 35 cm here on our balcony in Lech.
Second time this week...
snow report
Plenty of discussion of the Madlochbahn proposals on Alpinforum which is where I presume you picked it up too @Langerzug?

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=991&start=4775&sid=9734feda70407477f25e212c24445a74
ski holidays
I've not been out for a while, so if someone who is skiing St Anton today can post about current conditions (off piste if poss) that would be lovely as I need to decide which skis to pack for tomorrow.

I have AM: 84mm, touring: 95mm, powder: 107mm. Skins for the bigger two, but I don't think we'll be touring so they'll probably stay in the car anyway. Car will be left at Nasserein if we can get a space, so nipping back for a swap isn't really an option. I know which ones I want to bring, but what say you?
snow conditions
latest report
@nozawaonsen, reading through the discussion it seems the detail is rather speculative especially with regard to the replacement for the Madlochbahn. As far as I can glean, the thought seems to be that the bottom station for the new Madlochbahn will be on the side of the lake directly below top stations of the Zürserseebahn and Seekopfbahn with maybe a remodeled area at the bottom of the Madloch piste to avoid having to walk up to get back towards Zürs. I guess the detail is still being discussed to finalise planning permission.
snow report
@nozawaonsen, I’m in Lech currently :-;
snow conditions
@munich_irish, no, details are fixed, and permits given. Station is gonna be near Muggengratbahn
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy