Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2019/2020 (MArch Weather -- Variable --Snow On and Off)

Poster: A snowHead
@kitenski, how many’s that in total?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Currently (@2:20pm) it is alternating between snow and rain on the Galzig. Looks like snow, but the water running off the helmet tells a different story.

Skiing is actually quite good, but frequent dry-outs in the Galzig are required.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@nozawaonsen, I've skied in Dec and Jan, trying to work out how to ski in Feb and March before an Easter trip!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ulmerhutte, thanks for the update, sounds like a day to watch the rugby!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:
Anyone out today who can report where the snow/rain line is?? Looks brown and sodden snow in Stuben.

Was raining above the Rendl restaurant this afternoon, wet, slushy stuff falling from the sky at the top of the Gampbergbahn. Windy at the top of the lift so it had scraped off anything that had fallen, turning stickier lower down and fairly slushy. Nice skiing tho considering (I did download on the gondola tho rather than ski, the heated seats were appealing).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@kitenski, I wouldn’t base a potential trip on a single warm weekend, it’s going to get colder and snow. We had an awesome 2 weeks and personally I don’t look at long term forecasts, it’ll be what it’ll be. If you want to ski on piste it’s great, if you want offpiste then Thursday it was fabulous, Friday it was a washout and the rain trashed it. So who knows, so far it’s a patchy season. Just do it and if you want to ski you will. Much better than watching rugby in any event imo.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Markymark29, The rugby was pants. Skiing in slush-puppy was much better.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skimastaaah, agree, imo a bad day in the mountains is better than any day watching rugby. Laughing in any event the skiing in Lech/Zurs/Warth week one, and Anton last week (arrived home earlier this pm.....and didn’t watch the rugby, prefer tennis on catchup) was fantastic....and it’s only getting better. Game on now for the season.....only 5 weeks to wait now rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Markymark29, yeah I’m not worried at all about a single rainy day in the scheme of things
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you think things look a little dodgy in the Arlberg have a look at Steve Angus' latest post from Val d'Isere or the images on the weather thread, very miserable stuff Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chill out folks...

Skiing 1300metres vertical no problems

Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
To not put too fine a point on it... it is raining. It was raining at village level when I got off the mountain yesterday, it was still raining when I went to bed around 10pm, and nothing has changed this morning.

The Snow-Forecast website has forecast a ridiculous amount of snow over the next 3 days, including today. Alas, the report states the freeze level will not drop below 2000m until sometime tonight.

Looks like a lay day, unless things dramatically change during the morning. Sigh! If it is, then it will be only the 3rd such day in 18 years.

8:00am update... Av Risk has popped up to 4. No real surprise. Some blasting going on over the last 10 minutes.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, not sure an image of a valley car park gives a fair indication of snow conditions. If you look at the adjacent camera of the Stuben nursery slope there is plenty of snow and no mud. In any case have a look on Wednesday morning for a rather different image. No doubt today is one best spent indoors though, having to retreat to Base Camp for coffee to dry out is not the best experience!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Down here at 574Metres it is raining and around 8C …

Innsbruck
latest report
Yep, rained off so far today. Long time since that has happened. Absolutely sodden yesterday, but the pistes were in good nick on Rendl and Gampen. Presently trying to devise a method of skiing with an umbrella!!
snow report
@munich_irish, that is actually (IMHO) a very good shot to keep an eye on, bottom left is the entrance to the Albona chairlift and shouldn't be brown the first week in Feb! With the colder temps and more snow forecast I expect it to return to white! I also use the kids wooden play thingie to monitor snow height!
ski holidays
Still raining and a lot of soggy people out on the mountain. Very little open at first, although they did open up a lot of Galzig later on this morning. The rain had just about turned to wet snow at the top of Gampen, but with the wind wasn't particularly pleasant although the pistes at that hight were pretty nice, got heavier as you skied down.

Seen a friends Insta showing them using a puddle at the bottom of the Schlegelkopf for an impromptu pond skim with their snowboards.
ski holidays
Afterall: water, that’s what boards are for Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Snow was in good condition considering the rain this morning up the Gampen. Kapall was closed due to winds.

Snow about 2 inches thick on the Kanadahar but very high winds.
ski holidays
Quote:

@DanFuller, assume you mean fresh on top of hardpack beneath? wink if not there's been about 1.8m thaw over the weekend.
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
Quote:

@DanFuller, assume you mean fresh on top of hardpack beneath? wink if not there's been about 1.8m thaw over the weekend.

Sorry yes you are correct. The freshie was ok though.
latest report
@DanFuller, Phew! Enjoy the pow due tomorrow and Wednesday.
latest report
The slight issue wit the POW is the winds coming. Could be a chance of more lift closures
snow report
@DanFuller, Schindler and Arlenmaeder, Albona 2, plus Kapall will likely be closed but lower stuff should be open on Galzig/ Gampen, Rendl usually OK too. Midweek pow the best, weekend locals aren't there.
snow conditions
What is the lift next to Kapall that goes up alongside it?
latest report
I think you mean Mattunbahn, crossover from Galzig area to Gampen, or perhaps the Schoengraben T bar higher?
latest report
Mattunbahn is the one I believe. That was open today. Kapall closed. Mad how windy the chairs looked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Sitter, quite a few pool skim opportunities in St Anton too. No, I did not partake!

Cabin fever got the better of me and I spent the afternoon on the Gampen. Actually had much more fun than expected. Yup, it was bucketing rain, the wind at the Gampen was brutal, but the slushy bumps were easy to ski and there were no lift lines (D’ohhh!).

The big question... what will tomorrow bring? Still raining at 5:15pm, but the freeze level is supposed to drop to below 1000m sometime tonight. The Galzig is showing a net gain of snow from yesterday. Hoping for the best.
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, you are very dedicated, there not many days when sitting in the office is a better option than skiing but today seemed like one of them! Hopefully lots of snow in the next 10 days so perfect conditions around the 14th.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, hmmm, not sure about that! Very Happy (...made the end of day weißbier taste all that much better)

Still raining at 7pm. Freeze level needs to start dropping and soon.

BTW: chatting to a local ski guide, he said he could not remember a winter quite like this one. In my time, I too cannot recall a string of days like the last few. Usually a rain event has been confined to just one day, though I am gone by mid-March*, so perhaps that is not a good sample.

*Working on getting a whole season here, but some negotiating to still be done with she who matters.
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:

Still raining at 7pm. Freeze level needs to start dropping and soon.

It will probably stay pretty constant or even rise a little out ahead of the approaching cold front. Then it crashes a few hours before sunrise. It should be snowing by sunrise.
snow conditions
@altaski8, pretty close to right... I hope.

There is a thin cover of very wet snow of the deck at 7:20am. It was sleeting about an hour ago, but now some random snowflakes are coming down. Some blasting going on.

I am in no hurry to get out. Very little has been groomed (~80km over the Arlberg). Anything not groomed will be diabolical after being churned slush. I doubt that many lifts will open on time or at all. Best to wait and see...
latest report
Assuming it's best to let the snow falling today fix all the damage before driving over for some powder skiing? What are people's thoughts -- will tomorrow be better (according to Bergfex another 30 cm will come down) or Thursday?
ski holidays
@ArlbergMeister, would expect many lifts still to be closed tomorrow...
latest report
now white, but not much depth on the roof of the climbing frame...

snow report
@Langerzug, Thank you. So Thursday sounds like best bet.
snow conditions
The Storm ( Tief Petra) will continue through tomorrow with very high winds …significant snowfall

https://wetter.orf.at/tirol/bergwetter#warnung

https://www.facebook.com/AT.Wetter/photos/a.1301607393320488/1566150973532794/?type=3&theater

Downside with the high winds will bring VERY HIGH Avalanche conditions for the remainder of this week...

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 4-02-20 12:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@stanton, Thanks for the local intel, as always. We're coming over for the weekend (arrive Friday night), but I could sneak out a day early to get some tree runs in...
latest report
https://www.meinbezirk.at/c-freizeit/grosse-lawinengefahr-in-vorarlberg_a3904083

Avalanche Situation
Level 3-4 and Rising

Voralberg
http://warndienste.cnv.at/dibos/lawine/

Tirol
https://avalanche.report/bulletin/latest?region=aab72bfb-536b-4c05-a21a-0c58e8146c2b
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy