Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2019/2020 (MArch Weather -- Variable --Snow On and Off)

Poster: A snowHead
This morning was a vivid demonstration of the bed capacity (+ day trippers) of St Anton versus the slope/lift capacity. With anything west of the Galzig inaccessible from the StA side, it was bedlam for the first few hours.

Once Arlenmähder opened, people started to disperse. Relatively quiet now - @2:30pm.

Great snow, even now, especially in the northern / shaded aspects.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ulmerhutte, a day when the bus to Zürs is a good option, better than hanging around in the big queues for the main lifts.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
munich_irish wrote:
@ulmerhutte, a day when the bus to Zürs is a good option, better than hanging around in the big queues for the main lifts.

Except for the fact there was a big queue of people trying to get on the 8:40 bus to Zuers at 8:30, so no doubt have bene the same on over busses!

Bedlam was a bit of an understatement at times, saw so many people skiing either out of control or without any care/attention towards the others around them and causing collisions.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Sitter, Sad Must have been a pain for the instructors wanting to get up to St Christoph for their lessons.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don’t know where you guys ski or what lifts you take but queues weren’t bad at all and we skied hard all day. We were planning on going up Rendl first thing but saw the queue and swerved it, went up Galzigbahn and did laps of Bachseite/ Laerchen/ Kandahar/ Mattun and Fang dropping down to town and up the Gampen chair and Galzig. People stood in huge queues at ZMB and TZBB why??

Then up Rendl and bashed Maass lift, Riffl 1 off piste and Gampberg.

It’s really not that hard.....never stopped or queued all day, never saw any bedlam or dramas, come on guys.....clearly Schindler was never going to open today, that’s tomorrow’s pleasure. Fantastic day Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ulmerhutte wrote:
This morning was a vivid demonstration of the bed capacity (+ day trippers) of St Anton versus the slope/lift capacity. With anything west of the Galzig inaccessible from the StA side, it was bedlam for the first few hours.

Once Arlenmähder opened, people started to disperse. Relatively quiet now - @2:30pm.

Puzzled Puzzled
When lifts are closed, liftcapacity is low...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Sitter, the bus to Lech/Zurs on a powder day is 07.35....not 08.40.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rain all weekend?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Langerzug wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:

Puzzled Puzzled
When lifts are closed, liftcapacity is low...

If you think about it hard enough, I am sure you will work out the point being made.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Markymark29, you obviously did not use the Galzigbahn or Gampenbahn before 10. The queue for the former was out the door and halfway across the slope to the sign on the pole. The Gampenbahn queue was mushroomed out beyond the race. We entertained ourselves on Fang, had a coffee at 10, and then went down to N’Bahn - maybe 10:30. Got on that pretty much straight away.

We were actually planning to start on Rendl, but like you we decided to give that queue a miss.

Schindlergratbahn actually opened mid-afternoon. By 3:30, it had been well & truly thrashed.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Markymark29, Only if you are very keen. Most lifts at Zürs do not open until 09:00 (Hexenboden a bit earlier?), the 08:40 bus gets you to the Trittkopfbahn for 09:10. I suppose you could have breakfast whilst waiting for the lifts to open.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ulmerhutte, it appears you are trying to make the point that St.Anton has an insufficient liftsystem compared to number of beds.
Might be, but today apparantly was not a good day to prove it, since so many lifts were closed due to the snowfall...Apart from that, a day like this, after two days of poor skiing, many people come out early to enjoy a good day. Another reason why this is not a good objective day to compare...
I have experienced similar days in St.Anton as far back as 1992...(=the days of the Kandahar-cabletrain up to Gampen, the old Galzigbahn (yikes), and no Fang or Nassereinbahn...)

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 30-01-20 19:14; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Sfellows, not certain at all, no doubt mild temperatures for time of year but it could be the snow line remains at village level or not too far above or it could be thoroughly wet and miserable. Lots of snow very likely next week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@munich_irish, I’m afraid you’re a bit too optimistic.
The only realistic optimism might be that most rain will come during the nights. But it looks like a lot, and up to 2300 meter on monday...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Langerzug, I won’t bother debating the point - not worth it, but I will call you on the “2 days of poor skiing”. Perhaps it was for some, but if you can ski, then it was 2 days of brilliant skiing. Pretty much private powder yesterday.
snow report
Langerzug wrote:
@munich_irish, I’m afraid you’re a bit too optimistic.
The only realistic optimism might be that most rain will come during the nights. But it looks like a lot, and up to 2300 meter on monday...

I’m only there from Sunday to Thursday. You reckon I can escape it high up?
snow report
@ulmerhutte, weather might have been fine for you, but not for the majority of skiers, as you are probably aware...And this is all about the majority, not about you (or me) . Since liftqueues come with the majority... Cool
snow report
@DanFuller, according to ZAMG (Austrian national weatherservice):
rain (partly heavy) is mostly sundaynight, untill monday midday (as high as 2300 m.) Dryer monday afternoon.
From tuesday it should be snow at villagelevel again. Both tuesday and wednesday quite a bit of snow. But that obviously is very long term forecast...

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 30-01-20 22:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Well there's wet looking snowy stuff falling outside my window at the moment.
latest report
@Langerzug, depends which weather forecast you read. Your fellow Hollanders at wePowder are suggesting a snow level (which is generally above 0 degrees ) of around 1700m - 1800m. Other places slightly different. It is very difficult to forecast the snow level so might all be wrong though there does seem to be a fair amount of precipitation on the agenda for the weekend whichever forecast takes your fancy.

Quote:
it could be the snow line remains at village level or not too far above or it could be thoroughly wet and miserable
pretty much covers all possibilities Smile
latest report
@munich_irish, you need to improve your Hollands! Very Happy

Quote from WePowder:
Vanaf donderdag wordt het weer rap milder met een sneeuwgrens die van tijd tot tijd tot aan de 1700-2200 meter piekt.

No need to translate I suppose. Just the numbers will tell you Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, 09.15 at Galzigbahn 5 mins in queue then on lift.
snow conditions
If there is any snow at the village levels this weekend, it's going to be wet. Any good snow will be high up. By Sunday into Monday you'll probably have to hike to the peaks to find any dryish snow.
latest report
@Langerzug, Dutch defeats me I am afraid but I can look at numbers https://wepowder.com/en/st-christoph-am-arlberg#valluga which suggest (assuming they are correct) no rain for St Christoph, it might be a different matter a couple of hundred metres lower down in St Anton itself. Dubious about the high winds they are forecasting other places suggesting lower wind speeds and more variable directions maybe the rest of the forecast is wrong too.

I am not completely convinced by the ZAMG forecasts published by the resorts, the written summaries seem to be pretty good but the daily icons and numbers never seem particularly accurate though that is much more difficult. When I was in St Anton 10 days ago was skiing Schindler etc in bright sunshine whilst Lech & Zürs were very much in cloud. Pretty much impossible from a weather forecasting perspective, one person gets sunshine and 3 kms away another is in very flat light.
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
@Langerzug, Dutch defeats me I am afraid but I can look at numbers https://wepowder.com/en/st-christoph-am-arlberg#valluga which suggest (assuming they are correct) no rain for St Christoph, it might be a different matter a couple of hundred metres lower down in St Anton itself. Dubious about the high winds they are forecasting other places suggesting lower wind speeds and more variable directions maybe the rest of the forecast is wrong too.

St. Christoph might escape plain rain over the next few days, but even if it does, the temperature will likely be at or above freezing for much of that time. Sunday afternoon through early Monday looks like the most likely time for some rain. I would mention the possibility of some rain in the forecast up to about 2000m, but it could easily end up being white rain.
ski holidays
It looks like it is raining in Nasserein. Our fence, which was covered in snow yesterday, is now shiny, wet. Sigh!

Let’s see what it is doing higher up, but with mountain temps around 0C, this does not look promising.

PS @8am... the morning light has revealed a small amount of snow loss and pock-marked snow on the deck, but no serious damage. Just looks foggy out there atm.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 31-01-20 8:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
2 avalanches yesterday on Shimmelegg late morning:-

On 30.01.2020 around 11:30 pm, an eight-headed ski group drove in st. Anton am arlberg from the gampbergbahn to the free ski area, the variant area " Schimmelegg The group crossed an east slope at an altitude of about 2200 M, with a CA. 70 m wide snowboard dissolved and took the man. The Skier was able to trigger the avalanche airbag, was washed 150 m far and came to lie uninjured on the avalanche.
On 30.01.2020 around 11:35 a three-headed ski group drove in st. Anton am arlberg in the free ski room " Gampberg West The experienced ski group crossed a steep west slope, when suddenly a snowboard dissolved about 40 m wide and a 22-Year-old Austrian CA. 60-70 m with flushed and this one came to lie on the surface of the snowboard avalanche in a row. Due to the avalanche exit, the man was injured indefinite degree and was flew into the valley by emergency helicopter for further medical treatment.

Press Release of the police tyrol
snow report
munich_irish wrote:

I am not completely convinced by the ZAMG forecasts published by the resorts, the written summaries seem to be pretty good but the daily icons and numbers never seem particularly accurate though that is much more difficult. When I was in St Anton 10 days ago was skiing Schindler etc in bright sunshine whilst Lech & Zürs were very much in cloud. Pretty much impossible from a weather forecasting perspective, one person gets sunshine and 3 kms away another is in very flat light.

That’s my thinking. Mountains are volatile beasts and will the front stay or get stuck.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yesterdays Avalanches on Rendl..

After Fresh Snow this area where they were is a Death Trap...

Over the past seasons many lives have been lost...…

https://www.tt.com/artikel/30714489/zwei-lawinen-in-st-anton-am-arlberg-rissen-skifahrer-mit-22-jaehriger-verletzt

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 31-01-20 11:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/mIGXEf0roo4
ski holidays
Well, what a difference a day makes. We’ve gone for lunch early, soaking from the rain. Kapall chair closed just as we got to it and upper lifts such as Schindler closed.
snow report
Character-building day.

Wednesday - classic storm riding day: limited visibility, offset by fantastic snow, and only the hardy out.

Thursday - classic Arlberg, post-storm day. Bluebird and great skiing just about everywhere.

Today - classic Australian spring skiing (the trouble is that this is the Arlberg and it is supposedly winter). Water running off helmet. Porridge snow in places and clumpy, unyielding snow in other places.
ski holidays
If yo can Ski the Arlberg
.you will be able yo ski anywhere!!
snow report
Happy Valley did open at the end of the day, though.
ski holidays
Today’s morning light revealed how much/heavy yesterday’s rain was - flow marks on the snowpack, showing the course the running water had taken.

Valfagehr, first thing this morning, was rock-hard, with bumps and lumps that risked shaking fillings loose.

We skied over to Warth/Schröcken. The pistes became more pleasant with the rising temperatures and traffic. Inevitably some turned to slush but where there were bumps, that was kinda’ fun. We stayed on the piste - the off did not look too inviting.

The food at S1 Lounge, in the Salober area, remains fantastic - delicious and hearty servings. Good variety too.

The sky this evening was very dark and foreboding - hope the forecasters have got it wrong, but...
latest report
Going to be quite bad weather all this week....really not that nice …

All Day Apres Ski weather !!

Cold -Warm Cold - Fronts rolling in (Rain & Snow) one after the other with quite high gusty winds..
snow report
Anyone out today who can report where the snow/rain line is?? Looks brown and sodden snow in Stuben.
snow conditions
@kitenski, are you going out?
snow conditions
@Markymark29, thinking of another trip Smile
snow report
@Markymark29, thinking of another trip Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy