Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Get those legs apart - not good!

Poster: A snowHead
philwig wrote:
BTW this is real bump skiing not your BASI stuff. Love Caston's low n loose style. He's a mega athlete but even so
I rode with an Olympic mogul medalist the other week. She had no air-gap, and no magnets were used. They do use slightly baggy pants, mind.

It's a very specific style and very pretty, even in deep powder.
She rode the same style on absolutely everything, never missed a beat, never fell.
Most experts have a more varied approach; presumably that's her training.

Jenn Heil? Or one of the recent sisters? Heil is a real pocket rocket.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Harry Flashman,

Here's a video from the recent Interski 2019 World Ski Instructor conference.

The Austrian 'technique' hasn't changed much recently ( so they say) and these guys give a good example of Austrian technique at a world class demonstration level.

What's very evident IMO is that throughout Austria the methodology ( teaching of inputs with certain outputs or results) is very consistent. I recently had a two hour lesson on Short Turns by just a level one 19 y/o but who's ability and consistency was just staggering - as good as anyone I've ever seen...

I've been concentrating in the last two years at smooth flowing carving edge ski turns, my ability at going straight down steep reds has been diminishing - i just pick up too much speed without going across the slope which might not be possible or just to dangerous on a crowded slope - hence the need acquire new skills, at short turns, going straight down in total control!

Take a peek...

'
http://youtube.com/v/0gu0aYtVwCI ' enjoy...

You might notice in the background, listening intently are quite a few other instructors including Australians ( very notable the chap with the cam ), Iasi and numerous others.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dave of the Marmottes, Jenn - she was working in Blue River (not guiding). Her mum was a tidy skier too.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Harry. I had a similar journey - too much up and down, skis too close together beginning and end of turn but separating during. There are lots of ways of getting past it but if I had to start somewhere it would be to do lots of Braquage frequently on all types of terrain on my own. If you've done it you'll understand why. If you haven't look it up and get someone to show you if you're struggling with it. Braquage is all about centred weight, upper/lower body separation, edge control and pivoting without bouncing up and down. With enough practise you'll achieve the full 360!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Austrian video is very reminiscent if the way I ski (although those boys are rather better than me!).

However, constant practice has started to transform my method, and I now use far less vertical movement when sliding, and none with carving.

I have often thought that skiing often comes down to transformative little tricks, to cure bad habits. The intructor taught me one here that really helped: initiation with the inside knee, rather than unweighting/pushing the outside ski.

Wow. I was testing my 120mm wide powder boards in the slush yesterday afternoon. Instead of pushing them around and fighting them, I was carving and smearing them about with ease, evenly balanced on both skis.

I have also cheated a bit and adjusted my boots' forward lean, forcing me to ski in a lower position. After a few days' of sore quads, my muscles have learned this new position.

Progress, when I thought none was possible.

@22 dropout, braquage has been helpful with the steered turns, for sure. I still have a tendency to pull my knees together when steering, but it is diminishing with practice.

Bigger bumps, my knees are locked together, still, but that is OK!

The change has elicited quite a few comments from visiting friends. My German mate commented yesterday that I am far less elegant, these days!! Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Harry Flashman, interesting your mate thinks legs locked together is more stylish! Well done on making changes.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Harry Flashman, If I get you right ie. Starting the turn by tilting the D/Hill (soon to be Inside) knee (once there is no weight on it), into the turn.

The new Outside ski (with the weight on it), will simply mirror it.

I think it's a great way to start a turn, as it gets both skis working together and helps prevent an A-Frame.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Old Fartbag, exactly. And makes things like railing through heavy slush moguls on steep slopes a breeze, I discovered this afternoon.

Lessons. Worth it. Even if a bit painful at the time.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

http://youtube.com/v/7LCo8CLn6I0&feature=share
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mike Pow, thanks for that link. Very sensible.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
@Mike Pow, thanks for that link. Very sensible.

Pleasure.

Not directly related to the topic but greatly influences it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
With the experience of the last bash I've started to ski with a much closer stance than I used to have, but with far more softness in knees and ankles.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mike Pow, might be worthy a thread of its own, the most sensible advice I’ve heard in ages.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I tested some Whitedots at MK once. By the time I got home after a couple of hours in the car, I could barely stand up. I had no idea how much strain I had been putting on my knees trying to get them on their edges.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle wrote:
I tested some Whitedots at MK once. By the time I got home after a couple of hours in the car, I could barely stand up. I had no idea how much strain I had been putting on my knees trying to get them on their edges.
Shows you get your planks up to big angles!
snow conditions
@rob@rar, they're not that wide.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@Mike Pow, might be worthy a thread of its own, the most sensible advice I’ve heard in ages.

Go for it.

Don't think it will be too long mind Wink
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, You would be surprised at the number of people who would argue that all round one quiver skis can be happily be +100mm waist and that they carve em just fine, good in any conditions etc... Good point your video guy makes about the width of the tibial plateau and going wider will strain the knee joint.. Somewhat analogous to the reasoning why race skis are 67mm wide which corresponds to the width of a typical foot and places the centre of the metatarsal head over the edge of the ski.
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
@Mike Pow, You would be surprised at the number of people who would argue that all round one quiver skis can be happily be +100mm waist and that they carve em just fine, good in any conditions etc...

True, and I was beginning to think I was missing a trick there too, not keeping up with the Joneses on water skis.
You hardly ever see any instructors/Leaders on anything much over 80-84 for all mountain use.
snow report
Quote:

You hardly ever see any instructors/Leaders on anything much over 80-84 for all mountain use.

mainly cause they all have f**cked knees Toofy Grin
latest report
@Mike Pow, @rob@rar, I've been saying more or less that (I don't think tibial width has anything to do with it, it's just the leverage of the ski width, surely, trying to work out the moments in my head, out of practice) on here and to anyone who'd listen for years.

Possibly lost in all the comments about my arguments as to why FIS SLs make such good all round, one quiver, skis for hard snow and powder, perhaps Twisted Evil
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Possibly lost in all the comments about my arguments as to why FIS SLs make such good all round, one quiver, skis for hard snow and powder, perhaps Twisted Evil

I know one or two who ski around all day/all conditions on FIS SLs. They don't seem to suffer any ill effects.

Quote:
mainly cause they all have f**cked knees Toofy Grin

@skimottaret, Is a distinct possibility Laughing
ski holidays
@Bodeswell, I have been known to as well. I wore my last pair out. Want some new ones.
latest report
@Bodeswell, or most guides aren't too heavy and dont sink as much.. plus when skinning wide skis dont fit in tracks made by skinny skis and you get the same twisting effect on your knees when skinning in wide skis and sloppy touring pin bindings
latest report
Quote:

I don't think tibial width has anything to do with it,

Anyone that thinks otherwise please explain the geometry.
ski holidays
@under a new name, +1
snow conditions
@skimottaret,

Quote:

@Bodeswell, or most guides aren't too heavy and dont sink as much.. plus when skinning wide skis don't fit in tracks made by skinny skis and you get the same twisting effect on your knees when skinning in wide skis and sloppy touring pin bindings

Yep wide skis are problematic when doing skin traverses on neve - the leverage is hard to manage with just your toe fixed. I'd also argue that in the most hazardous descent conditions - steep ice / hardpack with nasty run out - you would prefer to have your edge under your boot. Noe of that is relevant when you are doing early season soft snow / powder touring but late season ski mountaineering is better on something a bit narrower. It's interesting that Whitedot have discontinued the R108 in favour of R98 which is - I think - a better compromise. The guide I toured with most recently strongly advocated 88-90 for ski mountaineering.
ski holidays
@jedster, I have touring bindings on both my 120mm skis and my 98s. I totally agree that once out of fresh snow conditions the 98s are much better for touring, trying to use the fat skis on icy terrain is really tiring.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:
@Mike Pow, You would be surprised at the number of people who would argue that all round one quiver skis can be happily be +100mm waist and that they carve em just fine, good in any conditions etc... Good point your video guy makes about the width of the tibial plateau and going wider will strain the knee joint.. Somewhat analogous to the reasoning why race skis are 67mm wide which corresponds to the width of a typical foot and places the centre of the metatarsal head over the edge of the ski.

Interesting. My "daily" has been an old Head i.SL RD, with a 66mm waist - and I have skiied these far more than anything else this season. They are now delaminating, and I bought a pair of Salomon X-Races in the end of season sales, which I will be selling after two days skiing them, as they just aren't as focussed as the FIS Head SLs and a bit more GS than SL. Looking for another pair on sale...fancy an Atomic Redster S9, which is a bit detuned from FIS spec. Tried them recently and they really are perfect for piste days.

If things are very soft or I want to tour, I ski a 95mm DPS Cassiar. If I want to do tricks, I have a pair of WD Zero Ones with no edges on them. I only ever break out the fatter skis for off-piste days. I can happily ski my powder skis on piste, but I feel noticeably more joint strain after skiing them on-piste for a day. You can get them on edge them just fine, but it definitely takes more effort/strain. But I have always skiied them with legs nicely apart, which you need to because of the width. I just had to adapt how I skiied these to the narrower skis, and start using my inside knee properly. Transformative.

I will say that in the end of season slush, I went back to a narrow stance and bouncing around on the Ones. Much easier to do little spins and butters, and ski the soft end of season bumps that way!

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 24-04-19 20:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Harry Flashman, narrow stance on bumps is spot on!
ski holidays
Quote:

Salomon X-Races

I assume not FIS? "
Quote:

aren't as focussed as the FIS Head SLs

Errr, no shit Sherlock...

And why anything other than a very narrow stance in bumps?

I mean, really? Who have you been talking to down the Robinson?
latest report
@under a new name, Hah!

The Sallies are not LAB, so their piste ski with "race tech". Turns out that they just aren't that amusing the way I like to ski them - mainly because I love first lift ice when I can get it, and an FIS (or similar spec) ski just has that covered, in a way these do not.

In terms of bumps, that's obvious, yes. However, I have found that the slush is more fun with a narrow stance and some bouncing/air too, when not cutting through it at speed.

And as for Robbo's, it's no longer a thing Smile - been there maybe 5 times this winter. I'm a dad now, so our evenings are very different!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy