Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

360 Cameras

Poster: A snowHead
I paid £297 for the basic package via eglobal (which I think is a grey importer). Took a couple of weeks to arrive, but dispatch from a UK address so no taxes or duties to pay on top of price. The basic package doesn't include the folding tripod / bullet-time handle or a selfie stick, but I already have a mini tripod and a selfie stick so that wasn't an issue. I doubt I'll use bullet-time, but if I want to there's a sturdy cord in the basic package you can use to twirl around your head like a loon.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Handy Turnip wrote:
I’m struggling to find a venture case online?!
Is that the waterproof case? Intermittently available on Amazon for £80, although not right now.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://blog.insta360.com/insta360-one-x-c
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@drporat, thanks.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can you start/stop the camera from the phone app?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry more questions!

Seems like the cold weather battery is a must for skiing etc?? It's £22 on the insta website, anyone got it anywhere else cheaper?

If you use it on a chest strap, can you have the lenses pointing left and right, and still get 360 degree recording??
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski wrote:
Can you start/stop the camera from the phone app?

You can, by previously connecting your phone to the camera's wifi. It would solve the dim visibility on the outside, but will finish its battery way faster. So better not.
I only have 2 regular batteries, 15 to 20 min per day is enough for me. I also carry a backpack with a powerstick, I guess I could charge it on the slopes if really needed.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski wrote:
Sorry more questions!
If you use it on a chest strap, can you have the lenses pointing left and right, and still get 360 degree recording??

You might, but there is a slight suture line. Wouldn't it be better to buy the ski kit, with the helmet attachment?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
drporat wrote:
kitenski wrote:
Sorry more questions!

You might, but there is a slight suture line. Wouldn't it be better to buy the ski kit, with the helmet attachment?

I'm thinking of running/hiking not skiing!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BTW found this snippet on Facebook re the Venture case...

Quote:
I would give the venture case a miss. They have been withdrawn and destroyed because they leak. The new one is due out in april.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good to know. I am using mine without any protection on the snow, been lucky till now.
Will bring it to the EOSB, the bullet time kit is fun
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers @kitenski, I’ll wait till then. I’ve bought a cheap silicon cover off Amazon which will give it a degree of protection in case it gets dropped in the snow, that’ll do for now.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Handy Turnip, it might affect the suture line between the 2 cameras. You can play with it on the app.
I had smth very thin but at high speeds it fluttered a lot so I removed it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Handy Turnip, did you get a cold battery from anywhere??? insta site is £13 shipping!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
W wrote:
So with something like the Insta 360 One X can you pull those clip and merge with others such as goPro and phone ?

Precisely. The app which comes with the Rylo at least:
  • removes the pole, stitches the video from each lens, and optionally stabilizes the footage
  • Allows you to export it all as a 360 video if you really want
  • enables you to set way points for the direction you want to crop in plus the field of view, then export that "render" to standard video.
  • lets you capture stills etc

That next-to-last does what you're asking. You can then import that into Premier Pro or Davinci Resolve and edit it with anything else you like.

k wrote:
If you use it on a chest strap, can you have the lenses pointing left and right, and still get 360 degree recording?

Not really. Well you could, but it would be way too close to you to be useful. If you think about the perspective of the lens, the closer you get to it the more the projection is obvious. That's a second reason you need a decent length pole. The ones they sell with the cameras (I have the Rylo one) are easy to use but too short. The Rylo comes with a small handle - if you want to run, I'd carry the thing in that and it should work.

--
Batteries? I bought two and that's fine for a 32G SD card of video (that is a lot) in minus 10 ish. You may have to swap batteries once or twice and you would want to keep the spare warm. This isn't 360 camera specific - they're pretty much the the same as other POV cameras. Shooting more than that in a day would be a nightmare to edit, even if you did that much interesting stuff. The Rylo don't need no case, just wipe the snow off.
ski holidays
@kitenski, yes thankfully I saw that at the last minute and bailed out. Might try and pick up a regular spar battery and hopefully that will suffice.

Cheers @drporat for the heads up, I’ve got a week to test it out before I go skiing on the 6th so hopefully can iron out any issues in that time.
ski holidays
Is there a waterproof remote available for the insta 360 one x?

Been thinking about buying one for a while now, but the lack of availability of the waterproof case has put me off.

I wouldn’t mind sticking one on the front of my surfboard as well, but the short battery life means it would need to be turned on and off, hence needing a waterproof remote. I quite often see dolphins and seals when I’m surfing and getting some footage of them would be cool.
ski holidays
@hang11, none that I am aware of. I just saw on their website the white water kit, can't tell if it's possible to push the buttons from outside like with older GoPro models. Maybe you should write them, dolphins+seals+surfing sounds like paradise to me. And ski in the winter, on the other end Razz
ski holidays
Not keen on button pushing - if I mount the camera on the nose of my board, which is a longboard, I would need to go for a swim to turn it on Very Happy

Had a look on the internet, and it does look like some bluetooth remotes can be used with it, so will keep looking.

Might just go for a fusion, but I like the look of the 360 one x and its a fair bit cheaper than the gopro.
snow conditions
bah, just had a bit of an unexpected bill so going to have to return my order!

Just thinking, and based on @hang11s comments, I remember having the Contour camera and having to buy cases for that, inc the official waterproof one that leaked and killed my camera.

I'm assuming as tech improves then we'll see waterproof 360 cameras in the not too distant future that don't need special cases etc etc?

and BTW the Gear 360 appears cheap if anyone else wants to dabble? https://amzn.to/2Xor7HR
ski holidays
I like the insta 360 X but am still to pull the trigger. Has anyone tried editing using a Chromebook? Specifically ACER Chromebook R11....
snow report
kitenski wrote:

and BTW the Gear 360 appears cheap if anyone else wants to dabble? https://amzn.to/2Xor7HR

The Gear 360 seems to be a different beast to the Rylo. Not sure how you would use the Samsung footage for ski videos but I've only looked at stuff people have uploaded to Youtube.
snow report
kitenski wrote:

BT was flogging them for £75 in Jan sales
snow conditions
My Insta 360 One X came through this morning and I've taken it for a test run. Very impressed so far. My current selfie stick works fine and is invisible, so no need to buy a new one.

Very impressive with the app, really intuitive - did a quick edit of my videos and found all the functions really easy to use (trim, pivot points, speed up/down, little world etc).

Bit concerned, with it having a lens on both sides, that I don't have a case - I feel like i'm putting down a new baby every time I put it down! Terrified that I'm going to scratch a lens on day1!
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip, bit of advice, there is a metal clip on the lanyard for the neoprene case, tape it up! I used a piece of bike inner tube (if you use one from a road bike it just slips over nicely).

To make you feel a bit better about your lens damage concern, insta360 are now offering a repair service for about $100 so your camera will not be a write off if you scratch a lens.

Enjoy!
latest report
@Handy Turnip, I don't put mine down. Bought a carry case https://www.amazon.co.uk/Holaca-Protective-Compatible-Insta360-Carrying/dp/B07KSHW6CN/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1551261537&sr=1-1&keywords=insta360+one+x+case&tag=amz07b-21
And I also bought a silicone cover - I only use the head cover to protect the lens from scratches, the body cover affected the 2 videos stitching so I discarded it
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HOLACA-Protective-Compatible-Waterproof%EF%BC%8CSoft-Light-Weight/dp/B07LFRCKHK/ref=sr_1_3?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1551261619&sr=1-3&keywords=insta360+one+x+case&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
Thanks @drporat, just ordered the carry case now. I also have the silicone case, but I was starting to think was a bit useless but good tip to just use the head cover part.

@Neillp, good to know! Gives me a bit of reassurance!!
snow conditions
@Handy Turnip, thoughts on viability of sticking it on top of a helmet? Photos look quite a bit bigger/taller than a GoPro?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clarky999, i think shots from a helmet mount would look really good. They actually do a snow bundle package on the insta website that has an extension pole for a helmet mount - I can imagine that would give some amazing footage, and give a proper drone type effect. You can frame the video in any aspect (16:9 etc) in the app.

ski holidays
Whilst I can see the advantage of the two helmet mounts for skiers, I suspect that the vertical mount will get knocked off by the first chairlift bar whilst the second perhaps make you look like a dalek ...
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
... thoughts on viability of sticking it on top of a helmet? Photos look quite a bit bigger/taller than a GoPro?

If you think about the field of view, then if you mount a 360 camera "low down" on a helmet,
the bottom part of that spherical video is going to contain quite a lot of... helmet.

Which is why they all seem to come with at least a little stalk, to get the camera a bit further away from whatever it's mounted on.
The closer to the camera you are the more you notice the projection, which is why a long pole is good.
latest report
Cute kid with a 360 cam on a stick here (dunno what make):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/47523698
ski holidays
Handy Turnip wrote:
@clarky999, i think shots from a helmet mount would look really good. They actually do a snow bundle package on the insta website that has an extension pole for a helmet mount - I can imagine that would give some amazing footage, and give a proper drone type effect. You can frame the video in any aspect (16:9 etc) in the app.

That does not seem a sensible idea! I don't like helmet mounts at all, partly because of the footage (obviously that's changed with 360) but mostly because I don't like the idea that it could damage my helmet in a fall.

I'm interested in dabbling with 360 but can't really justify £400 for an Insta (which seems to receive best reviews) for something that would be used for 2 or 3 weeks of skiing, the odd bike ride and some occasional motorsport. On that basis I'm leaning towards the cheaper end with the Gear 360. Does anyone have any experience of either of them, and is the 2017 version worth the fact that it's currently twice the price of the older version on Amazon?

Edit: Forgot to mention, my intention would be primarily to use it for ski stuff and to render footage and then cut into video with footage from chest mount/gimbal/boot mount etc. to add a bit more variety to videos. For motorsport it would just be on top the car to try get a different view and for mountain biking, who knows...
ski holidays
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
I'm leaning towards the cheaper end with the Gear 360.

I had major difficulty understanding what the Gear 360 actually does.
latest report
FWIW the GoPro Fusion was briefly at the lowest price ever seen on amazon @ £379 yesterday according to an alert I had set up, it appears back up to £494 now Sad
latest report
kitenski wrote:
FWIW the GoPro Fusion was briefly at the lowest price ever seen on amazon @ £379 yesterday according to an alert I had set up, it appears back up to £494 now Sad
Fusion 2 rumoured to be released soon. All the reviews I've seen of the Fusion comment extremely critically about the time it takes to process the video after you have recorded it. Hours and hours waiting for files to be stitched together and edited. No such comments about the Insta One X, which seems to be a popular choice at the moment.
snow conditions
@rob@rar, yeah the Insta looks good but not waterproof and the "venture" case was withdrawn when last I looked. I decided a camera for skiing needs to be waterproof without cases etc etc
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@rob@rar, yeah the Insta looks good but not waterproof and the "venture" case was withdrawn when last I looked. I decided a camera for skiing needs to be waterproof without cases etc etc
Yes, definitely an advantage to the Fusion for that. The Venture case has been withdrawn, but Insta have a dive case which is waterproof (to a deeper rating than the Venture case), and from what I can tell is not much bigger than the Venture case was. Adds to the bulk and weight of the camera, of course.
latest report
@rob@rar, once bitten twice shy on cases as my fully waterproof Contour case filled with water and killed the camera many years ago!!
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
@rob@rar, once bitten twice shy on cases as my fully waterproof Contour case filled with water and killed the camera many years ago!!
Oops! Did Contour replace the camera?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy