Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

360 Cameras

Poster: A snowHead
I downloaded Topaz AI to give it a go, unfortunately I think my laptop is too old to handle it (it used be pretty good a few years ago with a decent graphics card, but everything ages so fast these days). Even on the shortest of clips I keep getting an error message (red cross) when trying to upscale to 4k. The error message doesn't really give any info which doesn't really help. Shame as it looks so good, but short of upgrading my laptop there's not much I can do.

Might explore some of the cloud based options such as Aimages, as they also offer a free trial (watermarked) option so it'll give me a gauge if it's worth the money. Plus the pay as you go pricing might fit my one ski video a year level of activity a bit better too.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Aimages looks similar to Topaz and makes sense, if it works. You could work at the 1080p resolution, then just up-rez the final thing. There are a few settings in Topaz preferences (such as "low power mode") which may help. It ought to work, but old hardware... wasn't designed for this stuff.

Or if it's a one-off you could put it somewhere and PM me the location, and I can run it through Topaz for you,
if it's just a couple of minutes and so long as no snowboarders are harmed.

---
Portrait mode is interesting. I saw one one snowboard video which worked well in portrait - the guy used "pole in front" and descended fall line at the camera. The other thing which works for that are those with skier POV cameras descending a narrow couloir. I think it only works if the space you're riding into is below, at the bottom of the frame. On the plus side, with a 360 camera you don't have to decide at capture time how you're going to frame it ... I shall go and see if I can edit some of my stuff to work in portrait.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
phil_w wrote:
Aimages looks similar to Topaz and makes sense, if it works. You could work at the 1080p resolution, then just up-rez the final thing. There are a few settings in Topaz preferences (such as "low power mode") which may help. It ought to work, but old hardware... wasn't designed for this stuff.

Or if it's a one-off you could put it somewhere and PM me the location, and I can run it through Topaz for you,
if it's just a couple of minutes and so long as no snowboarders are harmed.

Thanks @phil_w, really appreciate the offer. I'm going to have an experiment with Aimages on the free trial basis over the weekend, and also go back to Topaz Ai to have a play with the power preferences. I'm keen to see if I can get to a workable solution, as if I'm happy with the results I might try and upscale some of my older family videos.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The BCA packs they gave us have a vertical shoulder strap pocket on the opposite side to the handle. More stable and higher than in the pack. I think it worked quite well?

http://youtube.com/v/5wMDzfxGErA
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah I think that works pretty well.

For skis. The perspective looks very wide, which unfortunately takes the steepness out of it.
You can see the skiing style and the camera doesn't break that, unlike most "ski with pole in hand" stuff.
Being picky, are those pole plants not slightly inconsistent? wink The skis are riding pretty high in whatever that is.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@phil_w Apologies, I was completely wrong there!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have been trying to edit trying to use full scope of a 360, so moving the focal point around 360 degrees which is a bit of a challenge to try and achieve a smooth pan, plus to do that and try and keep an Insta Reel under 60secs adds further challenges, but don't think this is too bad, apart from the actual snow-pack, hence I edited a segment in slow-mo to show just how bad it was, which you can see in the thumbnail below Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/u99ts79gSRw
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Insta post production software ("Insta360 Studio 2023") has curves in it, so you can "ease in" to those transitions between stationary camera and a pan. Some of those look good, others wobble and don't "ease in". I'm not sure if the GoPro suite does that. I suppose you could just about do it by hand (start with key frames with slight rotation and gradually increase it, or create all keyframes and adjust the spacing between them), but that sounds hard work.

You could instead just cut multiple segments from the one 360 source, each with a different viewpoint (eg sideways on, looking forward etc). Then stitch those together with transitions in a traditional editor. You can then even then cheat with the time sequence to get the best clips. That avoids the pan, but still tells the story. I mean: panning is kind of fun, but it's only one way to change the point of view.

You may find that more clips cut together work better generally; someone once told me to use short segments stitched rather than one long take.

---
@ukoldschool - I had to look back a ways to work out what about.
Well ... I'd never actually looked for the pole in the two images before, it's good to actually check stuff like that now and then. We all know more now.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Weathercam, I seem to recall the GoPro software had a keep the horizon level setting which helped when I was mucking around with 360 panning
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kitenski, probably as usual didn't explain it correctly; what I meant by panning was doing a rotation @23secs where I ski downhill and then it rotates all around me so you can see to my right and then then back to me, that's about 5 secs of keyframes.

Oh and @phil_w, it's all totally different when working Portrait mode Laughing

Pissing down here today, so might well play again with it all.

Edit to the above

It's quite a compromise when editing a 360 between landscape & portrait as a 360 naturally is more suited to a wider landscape, when editing in portrait to get more landscape in, you then have to reduce the scale which then creates other editing issues.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
@andy from embsay, you can wedge it up against your pole hand, have a play around, that’s what I did with normal ski poles

http://youtube.com/v/9McJDj6lRH0

Saw your video in the weather thread (but the conversation had moved back to the weather), and wanted to ask how you did it? One of my bug bears is having to carry one of my poles while filming and was looking to see if I could use a pole mount or secure it somehow to make the footage look a bit more natural but hadn't really seen any examples of anyone else doing it. Until now...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I found this last night - have ordered one of the mounts he mentions.

http://youtube.com/v/6-hXci3Vzqg?si=fpJMuCGCFryLqzxI
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Handy Turnip, I just literally held both in one hand, but held the ski pole just under the handle and locked the gopro pole above it as it was a bit thinner if that makes sense? I'll try and see if I can take a pic at home!

I too wanted it to look "normal" and I know weathercam has done something involving tying various things on I went for an even simpler method!

Using this pole https://amzn.to/3sSV1ZH
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@andy from embsay, I like the way he uses the strap to lock it in, that looks spot on!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kitenski, I’m going for the “motorcycle mount” he uses - was about £18 off Amazon. Will try and post a pic when it arrives later!

Edit: here it is. Nice and compact and feels solid enough.

HSU Super Clamp Mount with Aluminum Tripod Mount Adapter, 360° Rotation Motorcycle Bike Handlebar Mount Clip for GoPro and other Action Cameras https://amzn.eu/d/08iQWKK

snow conditions
@kitenski, yes makes perfect sense, holding the thinner part of the pole so when holding the two it doesn't feel that much thicker than the pole handle would normally. Looks good!

I've also looked at motorcycle mounts, @andy from embsay - always been a bit nervous on how secure they be. Love to see a mock up if you have a ski pole handy.

edit: just seen you've also posted a video with the mounts so will take a look later
ski holidays
I don’t have a pole - they’re all in France! But the mount feels super solid
snow report
Is their no ML tool to remove the fish eye effect yet? I appreciate what 360 camera can do, but the fisheye makes the footage look like complete trash, especially for skiing.

Also a lot of the angles used look terrible - stick to selfy stick from from, side or back anything coming from your helmet down will almost certainly look terrible. No one wants to see the man trapped in a tube.
snow report
@stevesie, I don’t like 360 footage for that reason. All I can see is the distorted image, not the actual skiing on display.
latest report
100% agree. All the footage I’ve seen looks completely gash, it distorts the background/horizon line in an unacceptable manner. Worst is the ‘profile’ view, it always looks like the rider is on the crest of an endless rollover/knuckle.
latest report
@kitenski, @andy from embsay, I'm not sure how those mounts will work with a 360 invisible selfie stick?

I looked at something similar to use on a ski pole but twas a waste of good money as was about £20.00 as was a photographer's mount.

So I still find velcro straps and bike toe-clip straps to be the best.

https://www.stylealtitude.com/gopro-max-360-skiing-how-to-film-and-mount-camera.html

There are harness mounts that you can see but they are stupidly expensive @ €199

And regarding fisheye etc in the software you can to an extent reduce the effect but it does impact on scale .

Dear old @rogg, never happier as to when he's able to go into threads and make derogatory comments Laughing

I often lend my setup to friends and the are as happy as pigs in pooh when they get a shot of themselves akin to this

My 360 is on charge and hoping to ski some nice fluffy stuff later this morning, and with the hound, who no doubt too will not meet @rogg high standards Laughing
latest report
Don't join the self lovin Daleks
ski holidays
If you want to film yourself then the fish eye is kind of inevitable in order to fit you in frame from so close a range; or an extremely long pole I guess.
For shots of other people st longer range they're great as long as time is taken in the edit. The abiluty to get on with skiing and worry about framing later gets much better shots than standard cameras IMO.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 5-12-23 11:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Weathercam wrote:

There are harness mounts that you can see but they are stupidly expensive @ €199

Insta360 backpack mount is a lot cheaper than that! https://store.insta360.com/product/third_person_backpack_mount?c=1834&from=accessory

I just put an invisi stick in my backpack fastened internally will some velcro straps through the key loops inside the bag & then clip the 2 zippers together so the backpack does not open as the pole moves between the zips, pushing them apart
ski holidays
@Gored, still would have though the Insta360 backpack mount could be a little shaky, what's your footage like as I have thought about trying to set something up with a pack, but no good in the trees Laughing
latest report
That looks pretty flimsy - suspect it will shake around all over the place if you’re skiing aggressively? The best mount I’ve found is in the opposite shoulder strap to the trigger on an avi pack where there is a long vertical zip pocket so you can tightly wedge it in. Gives this view

http://youtube.com/v/Svo10VS44t8
latest report
Weathercam wrote:

I often lend my setup to friends and the are as happy as pigs in pooh when they get a shot of themselves akin to this

Yes that's really very good, ok the stitch isn't perfect but to share with friends, blogging it is more than enough. Accepting the criticism of "self luvin' Daleks".
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
That looks pretty flimsy - suspect it will shake around all over the place if you’re skiing aggressively? The best mount I’ve found is in the opposite shoulder strap to the trigger on an avi pack where there is a long vertical zip pocket so you can tightly wedge it in. Gives this view...
Yeah I'm sceptical of something with quite so narrow a mount point. Anyone used one of those commercial jobs successfully? Sticking them in the backpack one way or another is what I've seen. I keep trying to remember to try it.

Insta brought out a couple of action cams, but no x4 in sight for now...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
phil_w wrote:
Sticking them in the backpack one way or another is what I've seen. I keep trying to remember to try it.

The trick is to really secure it so it can’t shake. For example in my Mammut Pack which doesn’t have a second vertical zipped pocket, I zip it into the same innner pocket that holds the cartridge and pass it out against the shoulder strap to hold it firmly in place. It’s a hassle to do it especially if it’s cold so I usually just carry it unless I have lots of time or really need to use both poles properly. Not sure this would work for skiing unless you want a nice video of the back of your head
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
... doesn’t have a second vertical zipped pocket, I zip it into the same innner pocket that holds the cartridge and pass it out against the shoulder strap to hold it firmly in place. [...] Not sure this would work for skiing unless you want a nice video of the back of your head
Yeah the Insta guys probably lost the plot on that one. How strange. I have a Mammut ultra-light airbag and I reckon you can probably reconfigure the trigger to work on the opposite side, so I expect there's stuff there which could be used to mount a pole. But I've seen people use standard backpacks (with top opening, which the ABS Mammut doesn't have... ) and that seems to work. You only about 5 seconds anyway... wink
ski holidays
Was thinking about the logistics of these back pack mounts and actually filming, as at least my GoPro360 does not always hear my commands and I physically have to turn it on/off, would be a huge PITA if it was on a backpack!
snow report
phil_w wrote:
Yeah I'm sceptical of something with quite so narrow a mount point. Anyone used one of those commercial jobs successfully? Sticking them in the backpack one way or another is what I've seen. I keep trying to remember to try it.

About 10 years ago I won a '3rd Person View Mount' from Sail Video Systems. Haven't used it in aaaages now, but even back then it worked quite well with the old GoPros. I bet it'd actually get some great footage with a modern 360 cam with stabilisation and 'invisible pole'...

I think you may have to log in to watch Vimeo videos now, but there's a few clips using it in this old video from Montafon in I think 2015:

Montafon Mornings from theADVENTURESofCLARKLEBERRYfinn
https://vimeo.com/119084651
snow report
Quote:

Not sure this would work for skiing unless you want a nice video of the back of your head

No, this doesn't look nice at all, very limited view and as you said mostly view of my helmet, tried this last year. The ones poking out of my bag like you did or the ones attached to the shoulder (attached to the shoulder straps) looked better. This year I think I will just hold it on my hand.
snow report
There’s the fisheye if you get too close (long pole helps) and some shaking (short pole helps) but you still get decent footage IMO holding it. When I post these videos most people think I’ve got some clever drone flying next to me snowHead
And as @weathercam says it’s much less faff than attaching it - it lives in my front thigh pocket so easy to access

http://youtube.com/v/ZMVaXx7rXNI
snow report
My son and his friend had a sunrise skin up to play some golf then telemarked down - the GoPro Max is mounted on the end of a ski pole fitted with a tripod bolt thread - quite zoomed in to minimise goldfish bowl effect.
Sunrise skin up, golf and free-heel down from Grinning
https://vimeo.com/898089388

This one is filmed with the same mount, ski pole stuck vertically in the snow - all the panning and zooming is accomplished by manipulating the 360 footage - no-one is manning the camera -
Tom and George keepy-up from Grinning
https://vimeo.com/897905500
latest report
For skiers looking for a ski pole mount for their 360 camera, I think this is new from Insta360:

http://youtube.com/v/-6SjWIUIMk4
ski holidays
@rob@rar, wow that will certainly save some time faffing, but did quite like my system, though could come loose everynow and again.

And I use an Insta Pole with my GoPro.

Just ordered one!
snow report
Thanks @rob@rar, just ordered - fingers crossed it works with my existing selfie stick.
snow conditions
I'm almost tempted to get one for when I lend my camera to skiers - that's precisely what they need I'd guess.
ski holidays
Handy Turnip wrote:
Thanks @rob@rar, just ordered - fingers crossed it works with my existing selfie stick.

Mine has just arrived, looks like a sturdy bit of kit. And it seems to fit my non-insta selfie stick, which is a real bonus. I'll give it a try out at half term
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy