Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

360 Cameras

Poster: A snowHead
BobinCH wrote:
Is the Max as good / easy as the Inst? Seems it doesn’t have the deep tracking option which was my fave feature on the Insta app

I’ve had both replacing my Insta 360X which was not waterproof with the Max which is waterproof. The Insta ironically met its demise swimming in a pool of drinking water in a waterproof pocket on a super-sunny day.
The object/feature tracking on the Insta was very good and I used to fasten (post-production) on a person or a helmet or ski-boot and it would do the rest - very impressive.
On the Max I have done that editing/tracking manually in post and it is not that time consuming at all.

Another advantage of the Insta 360x over the Max was the form factor and weight with the sleek and light Insta beating hands-down the chunky and weighty Max - shame my Insta is now a brick...

I will be carrying a larger supply than normal of zip ties next season....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Grinning wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Is the Max as good / easy as the Inst? Seems it doesn’t have the deep tracking option which was my fave feature on the Insta app

I’ve had both replacing my Insta 360X which was not waterproof with the Max which is waterproof. The Insta ironically met its demise swimming in a pool of drinking water in a waterproof pocket on a super-sunny day.
The object/feature tracking on the Insta was very good and I used to fasten (post-production) on a person or a helmet or ski-boot and it would do the rest - very impressive.
On the Max I have done that editing/tracking manually in post and it is not that time consuming at all.

Another advantage of the Insta 360x over the Max was the form factor and weight with the sleek and light Insta beating hands-down the chunky and weighty Max - shame my Insta is now a brick...

I will be carrying a larger supply than normal of zip ties next season....

Thanks. Sounds like you would go Insta360 with the choice?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@BobinCH, I can email you a GoPro Max 360 file and then you can download the Windows player and or Apps and play around with the footage.

Though looking at the file sizes probably best to wait till I'm back in the UK end of next week and drop-box it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BobinCH, you can’t track a person in the gopro max post editing. You set a POV with one click and that could easily just be a person.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
only £70 import duty & VAT - still works out cheaper than what they have been selling for on Ebay. Now just need to wait for delivery from the postman.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@BobinCH, “”Thanks. Sounds like you would go Insta360 with the choice?””

If the ONEX had been waterproof, then yes, without reservation. But I think the waterproofing of Max trumps the Insta 360 ONEX for use in skiing. Some of the best shots involve the camera entering the white room and the Insta always came out damp, quick blow off, then back into action - I was lucky it survived as long as it did.

I have never used the insta 360 One R but it fixes the waterproofing issue and it would still use the same stitching software (I think) so the tracking would be there.

I found The Insta software easier to use on phone/iPad than the GoPro software but that may be because I had two full seasons’ use of the Insta and only a few weeks with the Max.

Sacrifice a set of bindings and get both Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Grinning, yup waterproofness without a case is why I went with the max, having had a contour camera in an official waterproof case completely flood when snorkelling!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Grinning wrote:
But I think the waterproofing of Max trumps the Insta 360 ONEX for use in skiing. Some of the best shots involve the camera entering the white room and the Insta always came out damp, quick blow off, then back into action - I was lucky it survived as long as it did.

I have never used the insta 360 One R but it fixes the waterproofing issue
The updated One X, the One X2, is waterproof. Seems to be essentially the same camera, but with a new screen which makes using it a bit easier, plus a redesigned case which offers waterproofing to 10 feet.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:
The updated One X, the One X2, is waterproof. Seems to be essentially the same camera, but with a new screen which makes using it a bit easier, plus a redesigned case which offers waterproofing to 10 feet.

Is it waterproof without the case Rob?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
Is it waterproof without the case Rob?
Yes, so it shouldn’t have any problems with skiing, use at the beach, in the rain, etc. I think for proper use underwater it still needs a waterproof housing, not to keep it dry but to ensure that the image is stitched together properly.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Evidently, the GoPro Max if using underwater the end quality is suspect, I think I read that there will be an underwater housing to improve the quality of the output.

Think underwater 360 footage will be pretty cool Cool

For kitesurfing, you can but an impressive mount that protrudes from your harness on the back, again that should produce some nice footage.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This may have been covered elsewhere but anyone have suggestions for best extendable stick for gopro max? The youth needs to get one..
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@skimottaret, this is what I've used and works well whilst being light! https://amzn.to/3wUU3co
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skimottaret, as I mention here if it's for skiing then don't go for the GoPro Max Grip Stick/Tripod which is too bulky.

I'm not too sure if any UK retailers sell the one I bought which extends longer and is thinner and again as I mention if Googling a GoPro selfie stick be very careful of the end attachment as has to be flush not bend so as to achieve that invisible effect.

I was looking on Ebay.co.uk and amazon.co.uk and was very hard to be sure that the ones listed met those specifications but they must exist ?

I've just checked again and this might work
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smatree-Carbon-Detachable-Extendable-Floating/dp/B01G3DD99Q/ref=sr_1_11_sspa?crid=HJDS2TDWW047&dchild=1&keywords=gopro+max+invisible+stick&qid=1618409591&sprefix=GoPro+Max+in%2Caps%2C183&sr=8-11-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyREtNVTBRSTZPNDBHJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjE4NjMxMlVJUU5URVc0RVlRWiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTc3OTMxM0U3UlBMN1JROVkwSSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU%3D&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Weight and length are the main issues, in my experience. If you want a video which doesn't crop out bits of the rider/ skier then you need a pole which is longer than you'd think. 1.2m or more is good. Which makes weight even more important. Most commercial stuff is too heavy and has too many clips and fiddly bits for my liking. I use a microphone boom for that reason: stiff and light and not much to go wrong. The downside is lack of "telescopic" ability, but most of those things which telescope stop working quite quickly in the real world.
latest report
thanks good info, will pass on
snow report
@skimottaret, I should have mentioned for snowboarders, which I think @philwig, is, then their options are better, as opposed to a skier to be seen to using both poles it's a wee bit more complicated than a snowboarder if that makes sense?
snow conditions
These guys make pretty nice vids. Check out their above the head setups
https://instagram.com/stories/camille.armand/2551114477179289288?igshid=1q73nv2ufdozm
ski holidays
True enough they work better for boards, I think, and you don't have the complexity of the ski pole things to deal with, hence I've no view on those particularly. I did spend a fair amount of time researching various carbon options, of which there are many including kite spars and archery stuff. I think Insta have just brought out a new pole which may be worth a look, although I've never found any purpose-built stuff (including those built commercially by my mates) to be particularly good.
latest report
@BobinCH, that setup will really work in the trees around here Laughing
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:

This is the look I’m going for Very Happy

https://www.instagram.com/p/COGqw7Fqv4t/?igshid=1pr17zwsfivhe
snow report
I believe you can rent the equipment needed for that.
However no 360 cameras are involved.

I note there are some more interesting plugins for Davinci resolve for 360 remapping, but I can't quite get them to work. Has anyone done that?
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

This is the look I’m going for Very Happy

https://www.instagram.com/p/COGqw7Fqv4t/?igshid=1pr17zwsfivhe

Malou (in that video) and her friend Kajsa have pretty good insta profiles and some good stuff on YouTube for those that haven't come across them before. "Kajsa & Malou" is their YouTube channel.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy