Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

360 Cameras

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
has anyone mounted a 360 camera on a helmet and got good results?? I'm hopefully doing some touring next weekend and wanting to stick the Max on my head and use the voice instructions. It appears from some google searches that having it horizontal is best to avoid it warping the helmet!

Tips here and video on helmet mounting, but interested in what folk have found skiing wise

https://360rumors.com/20-gopro-max-tips-tricks/
ski holidays     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mounting on the helmet removes the ‘nicest’ perspective in my view which is from a selfie stick (invisible with the Max and the Insta)
snow report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never seem anyone helmet mount one outside of reviews.

For skiers they work reasonably well on a ski pole. Some technique is required (same as with a separate pole actually). Alternatively, a decently long pole is good for videoing someone else: you don't have to point the camera with a 360 camera. Just don't spike them with the pole and don't crash into them...
snow conditions     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Selfie-stick:
Golf run from Grinning
https://vimeo.com/378107378
Seem to have deleted all Back pack mount, Quasi helmet mount, footage, makes the viewer feel quite queasy.
ski holidays     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
managed to get some footage with the GoPro Max offpiste, I was holding the selfie stick closer to my body, I think compared to the other video I did on piste, you get better results with your arm stuck out further from the body!

This was shot with the included "fish eye" covers, which protects the lens, but GoPro do say lowers the quality.

@Grinning, what selfie stick were you using, seems a bit longer than the one I used and hence a better perspective.

http://youtube.com/v/9McJDj6lRH0
ski holidays     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski wrote:
@Grinning, what selfie stick were you using, seems a bit longer than the one I used and hence a better perspective.

Home-modded-telescopic ski pole with a threaded stud protruding from the handle...

ski holidays     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Grinning - stupid question, but not used a 360 cam yet (but seriously considering taking the plunge!) - do you ski with the pole held like a normal ski pole, or are you using it like a traditional selfie stick? I just can’t figure it out from the video!
ski holidays     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dashed wrote:
@Grinning - stupid question, but not used a 360 cam yet (but seriously considering taking the plunge!) - do you ski with the pole held like a normal ski pole, or are you using it like a traditional selfie stick? I just can’t figure it out from the video!

Traditional selfie-stick for me, I hold my poles in the other hand.

http://youtube.com/v/8krqEHrSRdM
snow report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dashed, camera mounted on handle end. I hold at basket end. normal poling action on other hand - i.e. no need to hold two poles in one hand.
latest report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I found this video gives a great demonstration of the various mounting options

http://youtube.com/v/aOQ0UCotzSY
ski holidays     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nice one - found that video really helpful.
snow report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
*great* vid thanks for finding!

Top tip on exposure lock if mounting on helmet, must go do that!

So I also love the idea of a longer pole held with your ski pole, off to also find a longer thinner pole........
ski holidays     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I bought an extendible 3 metre long carbon fibre selfie stick with screw mounts on off amazon for about $20. Doesn't weigh much, is a bit flexy, collapses down reasonably small - get some great angles with it, but probably a bit dodgy for using at speed or where a crash could happen Very Happy

There are lots of cheap options around. For surfing I use 1 metre sections of gopole tubes, which are pretty tough and float. 1 or 2 gets interesting perspectives, and they just screw on to standard tripod mounts.
snow report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My current pole is two sections of one of these: http://www.rode.com/accessories/microboompolepro which I found on eBay new for £25.
I think that's the perfect length, although that depends somewhat on the focal length of your camera I suppose.
The threads are standard large tripod sized (3/8 American) so you need an adaptor to bring it down to GoPro 1/4.
Carbon fibre and pretty stiff. I don't generally crash, but if I did I'd be mostly worried about finding the thing as I'd drop it 1st.

I'm not sure how well any of this works for skiers who are already armed with sticks.
latest report     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy