Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

women's one ski quiver- recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
hello all, the time has come to treat myself to some new skis. I need to get out of my comfort zone and start doing a little bit of touring. Was up at Grand Montets yesterday, and looking up at the few tracks coming down from the top bin, and that there will be even fewer in April has got me realising that it is now or never!
I am looking at getting some Salomon shift bindings, gvien that the jury seems to be pretty positive on them, and am then looking at , if possible, a one ski quiver. I enjoy piste skiing but no longer ski like a maniac, topping out at around 70km on piste. Love off-piste more, although the limited time that I get to do it means that much of what I ski tends to be tracked out- hence moving on to some gentle, day at most, touring. Any women recommend a do it all ski? I am around a level 8 on the Inside Out skiing level description.
So far, but not tested, I am considering:
4frnt Hoji W (although the 200 dollar delivery to Europe is holding me back, and despite great reviews 110m underfoot seems pretty large for go-everywhere)
Blizzard Black Pearl 88
Volkl Secret.
Will try to test the bottom 2 over the coming weeks, but if anyone already has them or an opinion on something else, that would be great.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
also seen a really good deal on some 15/16 kastle FX95 (not HP) if anyone has experience of these?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@L_555, I love my Zag H-95 Patrol skis and they are closest do everything I’ve ever found. You can test them free at the Zag shop in Argentiere.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gämsbock, thanks very much- I'll give them a whirl!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kooky loves her Whitedot Director carbonlites, she tours and skis on those a lot, although she has a multitude of skis as well.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I also have a pair of Whitedot Director CLs, but if I was forced to pick just one, I would take my Scott Superguide 95s. Both skis are very light for touring and great in powder (though the Directors have the edge), but on the piste the Superguides win hands down. I think the Zag skis mentioned my @Gämsbock are probably quite similar to the Superguides too – they certainly looked very similar side by side (same width, length, shape and use profile, though afaik the Zag is marginally softer?)

Nordica Santa Ana is also worth a look.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For a single ski solution +1 for the Superguide 95's & Santa Ana. Also suggest the new Whitedot Altum 94. Can't go wrong with the Black Pearl either but look at the 98. All would be great with a pair of Shifts (I don't know your stats but they're a 6 din minimum), Tecton 12's or Kingpins.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gratuitous pro skier on a powder day photo alert Laughing

If you needed any more evidence of their abilities, this skier is on exactly the same 168 Superguide 95s as me! She said “I think they're a little bit soft for me,” but considering how she skis, I'm not surprised. For a normal human, they're perfect.

(Side note for Whitedot... she'd do well on a pair of R98s or Altums...)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mrs SL bought a pair of the Blue Pearls as an all mountain ski, after some rather extensive testing. Since buying them she has dumped her Savoury 7s and only uses the BPs in powder. Then she decided she need a second pair of them as touring skis. I think they are a bit heavy with frame bindings, but she loves them.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 again for the Santa Anna 93. Comfortable on piste and the tiny bit of off piste I've done, bumps, choppy nonsense, etc.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you were after the Hoji's there are some on ebay for a touch under 400 I think - someone's already gone through the pain of importing them for you.. Continuing the trend of smaller ski brands to consider - the little sister skis a Majesty Velvet - 100 underfoot so very much in that all mountain/piste ski territory.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scarlet wrote:
I also have a pair of Whitedot Director CLs, but if I was forced to pick just one, I would take my Scott Superguide 95s. Both skis are very light for touring and great in powder (though the Directors have the edge), but on the piste the Superguides win hands down. I think the Zag skis mentioned my @Gämsbock are probably quite similar to the Superguides too – they certainly looked very similar side by side (same width, length, shape and use profile, though afaik the Zag is marginally softer?)

Nordica Santa Ana is also worth a look.

I've got the superguide 88s as my dedicated touring ski and I think they ski quite differently to the Zags. I've never skied the 95 superguides so I don't know how they differ to the 88s , but my assumption is less than a totally different ski. The 88 superguides are lighter and stiffer than the H-95 Zags. Not a lot in it on piste. For general offpiste and a bit of touring I'd pick the Zags - they are definitely better in crud being a bit softer. But the superguides are for sure lighter so are definitely better for longer tours if that's what you are planning.

I don't own Directors but I've nicked @MaireadOConnor's non-CLs a few times - for me they are fun in powder or slush, but fairly miserable on anything approaching a hard piste so I wouldn't consider them as a one quiver. EDIT: Nor would I want to tour on anything that wide, unless it was a very short/easy section.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That’s fair, I bow to @Gämsbock’s superior knowledge on how they ski as I haven’t tried the Zag.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scarlet, you're welcome to borrow them on the EoSB if you want a go for comparison/interest.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Gämsbock, thanks, we can do a swap if you like.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, sounds good, I'd be interested to see what the 95s are like.
snow report
I have the Santa Ana 100 and love them. Great off piste, and soaks up bumps and crud with ease.
latest report
plenty of choices there- thanks very much!
latest report
I've tired of my Directors, I'm afraid. Like @Gämsbock says, they're not great on anything that isn't soft; it's not what they're designed for. Carrying them on my shoulder always runs the risk of turning into a Laurel and Hardy sketch (181 length). I also really dislike the big tail rocker for kick turns (I'm not really tall enough) plus as mentioned 108 is a bit fat for a skin track. They're brilliant for jumps and tricks and landings but I just don't really do that sort of thing. BTW I do have the carbonlites so they're not heavy.

This year I got a new pair of Dynastar X96 with Fritschi Tecton bindings which I've had out for two weeks in a variety of conditions. They're 170(ish) and mostly flat tailed which resolves quite a few of those problems. They're much stiffer and with trad camber, so on firmer snow they're miles better. They carve and grip much better than I'd expect a fattish ski to, although it wouldn't be great for your knees to use them predominantly as a piste carver. Off piste they're lovely. I'm very pleased with my choice.

If I'm getting the lingo right, I'd say the Director is 'playful' and and the X96 is more of a 'charger'. I've realised that my own personal style is much more suited to a stiffer trad ski. But your taste might be different.

Those Zags and the Santa Ana 100s are also very nice from the little I've skied them. I tested the Volkl Secret at the Snowheads ski test and they were good but I took the huff with the rep so I refused to consider them Laughing
ski holidays
@Gämsbock, hi, can I ask where the tip/tail rocker starts on the H95’s; struggling to find specifics on the Zag site? I am coming to the conclusion that my CL Directors are not getting the use they deserve, and I’m considering consolidating my ski collection more towards a ‘one ski quiver’ solution.
The Directors are 191, and I’m thinking of going shorter anyway (H95 in 184cm) and will probably have a look at the Altum 94 in 185 at the EoSB, but would be interested in how the H95’s size up, do they ski short etc.
Thanks in advance,
Nick
latest report
@big_ben, I can have a look, how should I measure that? Mine are the H-95 Lady in 168, there is an H-95 mens/unisex which comes in longer lengths which I guess is what you are looking at. I don’t find they ski short. You’re welcome to have a look at EoSB. Well you can ski then if you want but I suspect your boot won’t fit! You could also ring up the Zag concept store in Argentiere, they speak English and are very helpful.
ski holidays
The Hoji is full rocker, so maybe not the best for a genuine all mountain ski (as opposed to skinning for good conditions, in which case it would likely be excellent). I'd be surprised if you can find any in Europe - SportsPursuit even used to stock 4FRNT!

My GF uses and loves Moment Bellas, although I see they've now changed that to full rocker too.

Not sure what length you'd be looking at, but these may be worth checking too: https://www.downskis.com/shop/countdown-104l-2018
ski holidays
Thanks @Gämsbock, I’d definitely be interested to take a look at the build and shape etc.
I would think the 184 is the length. I have been looking for pics online with the skis together base to base just to see where the rocker starts and the amount of camber underfoot.
The Zag website shows a fairly flat tail and a decent rocker up front, and a small amount of camber, so on paper, all good. It helps that they look so pretty too!!
Nick
ski holidays
Well, I have just test driven some Blackcrows Orb Freebird in a 172 with dynafit bindings- they were delicious- made me realise just how little trust I have in my current skis these days! Better get the calculator out..
snow report
If you are still looking - and like an end of season bargain - how about these? https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/dynastar/mythic-87-ca.html
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy