Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gloves, buy expensive or cheap?

Poster: A snowHead
In the long run, Hestras prove to be the the best and cheapest gloves you have ever owned.

Mine have over 150 days now and are still perfect. Cheap gloves struggled to last 2 weeks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On Hestras...

Mine have done somewhere like 300 days, survived a bit of a house flood and should last the season.

The most I have previously achieved was maybe 120 days.

A major advantage for those of sweaty and smelly palms is washable liners.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@BobinCH, good news, with the KenX TLC my Hestras should (and probably will) last a (my) lifetime Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For me gloves have been like sunglasses or pens where I tend to look after expensive ones and they last me years. Cheap one get lost or broken. I’ve had Hestra gloves for years but about 10 years ago I discovered Scott goretex mittens which have been excellent and a steal at c. £30. Am onto my second pair bought last season as the first stated losing it’s stitching. They are so good that I really look after them and have added some hestra wrist holders.

I agree that Hestra are great but these have proven to be extremely good value (and warm).

https://www.alpinstore.com/en/clothing/mens/accessories/glove/mittens/180870-scott-moufle-scott-ultimate-gtx-black.html?&ads_affilie=6&id_contry=17&ads_product=180870&id_devise=4&utm_campaign=googleshopUK&pk_campaign=googleshopUK&gclid=Cj0KCQiA14TjBRD_ARIsAOCmO9b8jLmo_WcRxhKMvNLaxCwghEqeRVxYWm_KOP0f_AHartmZ1mTFoqsaAmaLEALw_wcB
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have to say I have a glove thing! Have hestra army heli mittens for very cold. Have some reusch gloves short cuff for spring skiing from tk maxx. Burton gloves as everyday wear and following Christmas skiing the proud owner of hestra army heli gloves. Love the long cuff and the idiot straps. Also have German army surplus fur lined mittens which seem bomb proof. Junior has hestra mits and gloves (army heli) Gloves worn weekly at dry slope so get a lot of abuse but no damage just a lived in leather look. Yes hestra cost more but they really do the job. Have to admit coveting a pair of fab down filled mittens! One day I will succumb
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you have the long cuff Hestras, pulling the elastic tight around your jacket cuff on cold days makes them even warmer.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another shout out for winter work gloves, check B&Q, Screwfix etc. My Wells Lamont ones have lasted 3 seasons (about 14 weeks) and are only being replaced as the way I hold my poles has pulled the stitches on one thumb. The replacements are the waterproof version, thought the last ones never got wet until I played in the slush at the eosb. . . Price? $21 . . . and they fit the hams at the end of my arms.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BobinCH,
Quote:

By all means try your luck with some other brands to save a few quid, but if you want gloves guaranteed to stand up to abuse and last then you won’t go wrong with Hestra.

I'm sure that is true.

That said I have a pair of Mountain Equipment Guide gloves that I am still using 10 years after I bought them for less than £50 which was a fair bit cheaper than Huestra
The key point on durability is full leather palm and fingers, ideally including the material between fingers which I find gets slashed from picking up skis if it is fabric. The guides have that but sacrifice a bit of warmth for dexterity (rope handling).

My son has poor circulation (Reynards) and isn't a big fan of mitts. We got him these last season and they have been fabulous so far - really make a difference for him. Basically mitts with a separate forefinger - you can comfortably wear them with all fingers in the mitt bit if it is really cold but get a bit more dexterity otherwise. I reckon at Euro 80 they are a bit of a steal

http://www.ekosport.fr/black-diamond-soloist-finger-black-19-p-V00082413.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzJmuj7G24AIVb7ftCh345AfGEAQYAiABEgIicPD_BwE
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've got Hestras and I love them, but I've also got some beaten up old level gloves that I really like as they give a good feel through the glove, and some outdoor research polartec gloves with leather palms for the spring. I've also got some arcteryx gloves that I don't really get on with, and some mountain equipment gloves that are a bit... mehhh, and loads of others I've tried and given up on. Its difficult to find good gloves and you can spend many £'s chopping and changing them, or you can touch lucky and get a pair that are cheap and feel great, or you can spend a bit more and buy hestras and know that they will do the job.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For me it is a simple decision, snow shepherd or hestra. If you want a pair of gloves that last a season with a few trips, and might want replacing after a year, but indeed could go on for 5 years, the snow shepherds will do it. The hestras should last you 5 years and have quite a few little details that I like and make life easier, make it less likely I'll lose a glove, but they are double the price if not a bit more against the snow shepherd ones.

It sounds like you are pretty hard on your gloves, who knows why. In that case I'd have two pairs of snow shepherd gloves and not worry about it if one gets trashed through treatment, obviously if you did that to hestras it will get expensive quite quickly.

If you are going to trash stuff seriously fast just buy decathlon cheapest gloves and have 5 pairs. They are good value, but I wouldn't expect them to last more than a season of fairly rough use without needing repairs.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lots of people are suggesting that somehow my gloves are being subjected to harsher treatment than would normally be expected. I really can't see how that could be. I've checked my poles to see if there is some unfinished roughness. I very rarely use those pull rope thingies and I don't generally drag my hands along the ground when I walk. Also my OH doesn't do this either I'm pleased to say. So it must be bad luck as the majority of snowheads don't seem to have a problem.

Might try Snow Shepard's then next..
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@FrequentFaller, One other thing to check is whether there are any rough bits on your boot clips.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Digger the dinosaur wrote:
For me it is a simple decision, snow shepherd or hestra.

This. It's well known that the only gloves and mitts worth bothering with are Hestras or Kincos. And the Snow sheps have taken the Kinco and improved it AIUI. Unless it's spring of course when more or less anything light will do.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've had my Hestra Army Leather Heli gloves for 11 years! Granted, the leather part was once white, and now it is light brown, but they last forever... Note that to get logevity out of these types of gloves you do need to apply some coats of wax (I use saddle wax (I got it dirt cheap for some reason years ago), to keep the leather from drying out.

I usually ski around 30-50 days a season, so they are very cheap in the long run Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bar shaker wrote:
In the long run, Hestras prove to be the the best and cheapest gloves you have ever owned.

Mine have over 150 days now and are still perfect. Cheap gloves struggled to last 2 weeks.

As long as you get leather ones. I had a pair of (cheaper) hestras with synthetic palms and fingers. Lasted fewer than 10 weeks - the fingers wore through where I carried skis.
ski holidays
Totally agree! I've had my fair share of cheap gloves that wear out way too quickly, it's such a waste of money. I switched to Hestras a while back and I've never looked back. They may be a bit pricier upfront, but they last so much longer it's definitely worth it in the long run.
snow report
200+ days on my Hestra Armys and discoloration is the only evidence...
snow report
+1 for Hestras
ski holidays
I hope the OP hasn't had cold hands for 4 years Shocked
snow report
Delta Plus Venitex FBF15 Mens Fur Lined Leather Winter Thermal Ski Work Gloves https://amzn.eu/d/cKFnHII

A lot of guides & lifties use these
ski holidays
Sorry, I've had a lot of Hestras and I think they are over priced and nothing special.
Back in the day they looked very classy and made you feel a bit special, but now not so much.
Although I've got three and half pairs of Hestras they stay at the bottom of the bag.
Favourites at the moment are a very nice pair of Wedze's from Decathalon and a vintage pair of Scott slalom leather gloves that I got in a sale somewhere back in the 80s.

I can't prove it, but I'm sure gloves were made to a much better quality standard years ago.
Gosh I am a right old 4art.
ski holidays
@DrLawn, agree, not keen on Hestra...and the ones I've tried weren't warm enough
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, @DrLawn, hmmm, well, my last Army Helis were bought in March 2012 and only replaced for 2021-22 and did about 60 outings a year ...

I think that’s pretty good (longest lasting gloves I’ve ever had).
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@holidayloverxx, @DrLawn, hmmm, well, my last Army Helis were bought in March 2012 and only replaced for 2021-22 and did about 60 outings a year ...

I think that’s pretty good (longest lasting gloves I’ve ever had).

My Hestra Army Leather Gore-Tex - the more unusual black leather ones - are over 20 years old. The Velcro on the back is now losing some of its grip and the insulation has packed down....but they are still going strong.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 7-04-23 20:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
its not just me then @holidayloverxx, I've found them no warmer than anything else.
I must treat myself to a pair of warm liners.
snow report
DrLawn wrote:
its not just me then @holidayloverxx, I've found them no warmer than anything else.
I must treat myself to a pair of warm liners.

Black Diamond Mercury Mitts and Reusch Explorer Pro Lobster Mitts are both warmer....but the Hestra Heli Mitts are warm.
ski holidays
FrequentFaller wrote:
Lots of people are suggesting that somehow my gloves are being subjected to harsher treatment than would normally be expected. I really can't see how that could be. I've checked my poles to see if there is some unfinished roughness. I very rarely use those pull rope thingies and I don't generally drag my hands along the ground when I walk. Also my OH doesn't do this either I'm pleased to say. So it must be bad luck as the majority of snowheads don't seem to have a problem.

Might try Snow Shepard's then next..

Not sure if you saw Kenx's observation about carrying skis clutching them in your fist? I tore my gloves very quickly by just doing this. Having bought more expensive pair now, I am much more careful, and they seem to last... just a thought.
snow conditions
[quote="DrLawn"]its not just me then @holidayloverxx, I've found them no warmer than anything else..[/quo

Dont think they aqre anything special eiter tbh. Bought apair of Army Helis back in 2011 and still use them as my go to warm weather glove Toofy Grin

For the price paid $50 on sale, they are fine bought wouldnt want to pay much more tbh.

I do think their marketing is excellent though, and they have pushed themselves, and achieved their position in the market.

For cold weather gloves have a pair of leather Swany's, at the same time I bought the Hestras they were on sale at around $110. Had my current pair now since around 2009
and still take the previous pair for emergencies, general stuff where they may get ruined. These weree bought around 2003, and just look a bit tired.but functional. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bones, yes, I have Swanys...they suit me better, had them 10 years
ski holidays
My Dainese World Cup gloves £19.95 from TK Maxx. RRP £165. That's a deal.
latest report

My Hestra's have seen better days.
snow report
I suppose I could use them for oven gloves?
snow conditions
I've tended to use work gloves most of the time, bought from a French bricolage shop down in Abondance. You may see pisteurs wearing them, as they're quite popular and cheap. At twenty-odd Euros they last a couple of seasons, and I use them a lot for clearing snow etc. as well as skiing. Warm, tough, cheap.
Thius sort of thing

The Hestras only really get used when it's very wet or very cold, such that I need the higher cuffs to seal the cuffs.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy