Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gloves, buy expensive or cheap?

Poster: A snowHead
I seem to have difficulty finding gloves that last for a reasonable length of time. I started off buying cheap gloves when I got back into skiing but as they only lasted a few trips I thought I would splash out (er.. spend a little more). I bought Salomon gloves for the OH but they only lasted three days until the palms were shot. I bought some Reusch which I thought would be good coz they don't make a lot else apart from gloves. Well they started to fail on the seam connecting the leather palm to the rest of the glove during their 2nd trip. So do I go the whole hog and go Hestra or do I go back to sports direct and buy cheap and throw them away every year?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What are you doing with them? Sounds like a lot of bad luck! You could look at buying from a warranty point of view and see which manufacturers will give you the best chances of replacement...

Personally I've never had a problem with gloves, sliced salopette cuffs however...still attempting to train myself out of narrow carving stance... Mad

EDIT: this isn't related to your username is it?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/Ski-Gloves
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you lose gloves a lot then probably best to not spend too much on them as long as they keep your hands warm.

I have had my Hestra's for around 8 years and used them for several weeks a season and still only getting a bit worn now. Cost per week is now therefore a lot less than some "cheap" gloves!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had Reusch gloves from T K Maxx for years and years and years, skiing many weeks a season. Never suffered any damage. I have occasionally lost a glove, but never had any fall apart! I always tried to buy gloves in T K Maxx.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a pair of Reusch windstopper gloves, 25 years old, perfect for spring skiing. My Hestras are now getting on 20 years old. Both perfectly serviceable. USe the windstopper ones for dog walking lots.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I simply bought a pair of good quality insulated leather gardening gloves very similar to the ones in the link above but from a well known hardware store for about half the price.

Edit: Just checked that link properly Shocked Make that a quarter of the price of some of them!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I run very hot and often get very sweaty hands. But equally like my hands to be warm due to various joint issues in my fingers from years of rugby.

I was tempted with Hestra who from what I've seen and read are the best but obviously cost that bit more. I think cheap gloves are a false economy. My first pair were some Rossignols I got from TK Maxx for £30. The stitching went after 2 weeks of skiing.

I now run two pairs of Dakine gloves. One with a cuff for powder days and one without (which are also leather). I really rate them. Hands don't get cold but don't get sweaty either.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One of the best ways to keep your hands warm is to keep your body warm.

If your core is cold, less blood is sent to your extremities, as your body prioritises your core where all the essential organs are.

Excluding sufferers of circulatory conditions etc, a general rule is that if your hands are cold, wearing an extra base layer or mid layer will warm them up.

Thinking “only my hands are cold, I just need better gloves, and not an extra base layer” is wrong but common.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I seem to have difficulty finding gloves that last for a reasonable length of time. I started off buying cheap gloves when I got back into skiing but as they only lasted a few trips I thought I would splash out (er.. spend a little more). I bought Salomon gloves for the OH but they only lasted three days until the palms were shot. I bought some Reusch which I thought would be good coz they don't make a lot else apart from gloves. Well they started to fail on the seam connecting the leather palm to the rest of the glove during their 2nd trip. So do I go the whole hog and go Hestra or do I go back to sports direct and buy cheap and throw them away every year?

Ok. I have a bit of a 'thing' with gloves, well mittens, as I have very cold hands. You haven't said what you consider 'cheap' and expensive. I have LOTS of pairs, as I want to have warm hands, and not compromise on this. I keep getting some looking for the holy grail of the perfect glove! IMHO, mittens tend to last longer than gloves as there are less pieces to sew together and the palms are reinforced more as Snowboarders go for a mitten.
I have some Snowshepherd ones (mittens). They are ok for the money and do a job well. I also have bought some of these: https://www.freethepowder.com cheap from the USA (Utah) after a LOT of online research. They do sell amazing gloves as well. As I don't know how to post pictures on this forum, I can't show you the quality of the glove.
My husband swears by his Hestra mittens. They aren't warm enough for me, so I bought some of these:
http://youtube.com/v/yu159x2e0zE a few years back. For sale currently at £60 on my goggle search. Good quality, pretty bomb proof.
Trekmates are a pretty decent UK brand, that sell decent gloves at around the £30-40 mark. https://www.trekmates.co.uk/chamonix-gtx-glove. I had some of these (in a mitten) a few years ago that lasted ok.
POW are another American brand that seem to make bomb proof gloves.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IME. Always buy decent gloves/mitts.....but get them cheaply.

Removable, washable liners are a good idea. Goretex isn't necessary, unless you ski in the rain.

Black Diamond/Hestra/Reusch/Dakine/Scott/Gordini, are all worth looking out for. TK Maxx, Sport Pursuit, Sports Outlet, Ekosport and Glisshop, are all worth checking for value.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hestra Heli ski mitts. 3 seasons, 50 days a season, sun, snow and everything in between. Still going strong. That’s great value!

https://www.facewest.co.uk/Hestra-Army-Leather-Heli-Ski-Mitt.html
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@FrequentFaller, how did the palms get ruined that quickly? I've had gloves from various manufacturers but haven't had this issue. For e.g. are the ski poles being held very tightly?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lessons. I don't know what you're doing to your gloves, but they should last for years of frequent use.

Personally I buy decent Gore-Tex mitts with few seams and little leather (because you have to proof it), but it's a personal choice. I don't ride in the rain, but I like breathable stuff and I don't want snow melt getting in there. Hestra's too bling for me but RAB work fine https://rab.equipment/uk/accessories-equipment/gloves/ I've no experience of their customer service, but if anything failed after two trips I'd expect a replacement or my lawyers would be in touch wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hestras, pretty sure my ski cross gloves will outlast me
snow report
My Snowsheperd leather gloves are on their third season, done 32 weeks so far, and still going strong. And they are only about£30.
ski holidays
I have many, many gloves. Most are cheap, most never used as I know what my go to pairs are, and have used them all for many, many trips on ski and boards without ever having damage or issued.
Decathlon basic, really cheap fabric and plastic palm gloves (sub £10, used to be sub £5) are lightweight, warm, fit well and indestructible (well, for me - lost my favourite 8+ year old pair before any damage was ever visible). Always use them if I can, get an excellent feel with them.
Decathlon leather gloves also good, about £35, though bulkier, heavier and colder, I feel, and less easier to do things in, but tougher for boarding. No signs of damage after about 4 years and a good few outings.
Hestra Army gloves also used, though less of a good fit and harder to do things in. Warm, but not much more so than my cheapies. Best when I want a long glove (e.g. in deeper snow). Cost E99, liners can be replaced separately at around E25.
None have liner bunching or detaching issues (which I have had on Aldi gloves and a few other makes).
All my gloves get Decathlon silks (about £7) worn underneath (or I use only silks as my outer gloves if reasonably warm). They do get holes in the fingers occasionally; I have a needle & cotton...
Yes, what are you doing to them; assuming they're a reasonable fit in the first place???
snow conditions
http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Products/0snowshepskiguideproblack/SubProducts/0snowshepskiguideproblack-0006

Snow Shepard gloves, sensible money (£35ish), warm and industrial strength!
ski holidays
king key wrote:
http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Products/0snowshepskiguideproblack/SubProducts/0snowshepskiguideproblack-0006

Snow Shepard gloves, sensible money (£35ish), warm and industrial strength!

Just what I'm after. Thanks for posting.
snow report
Hestra all the way; they last for years.
ski holidays
I used to use Hestra... these days it's all Mountain Equipment Randonees. Pile lined so warm even if they get damp. I use them for skiing and ice climbing, brilliant and half the price if you get the sales right.
snow conditions
McKenzie wrote:
Hestra all the way; they last for years.

But in fairness, so do many gloves. My Salomons lasted for a few seasons. It's not normal for gloves to fall apart in the 1st week. Until the OP has got to the bottom of that, I don't think I'd be paying huge sums for gloves.
ski holidays
Hestra gloves certainly make a statement,
But I've had a few pairs and I don't think they are anything special.

Looks great but cold hands,
But I suppose I could always use hand warmers.
snow report
If your main concern is cold then look at Buffalo mitts (OK, so they are not gloves...), but good to -20 and they say if it's colder then 2 pairs will take you safely to -40. Check the reviews. And very sensibly priced.

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/mitts/

I've got a Buffalo jacket and salopettes and they are excellent.
snow conditions
Thermal work gloves, I got some for winter sailing and they are far warmer than my ski mittens, can't find which ones they were but they are not at all expensive, Screwfix etc
ski holidays
I would have said they're the sort of thing it's worth spending on, until I discovered German surplus mitts and gloves on ebay for £10 a pair that are quite fantastic and seem to be built for abuse. Now own 4 pairs for less than one pair of mid range gloves/mits and can't see myself ever going back.
snow conditions
Get high end gloves, but in the sale!

I've had quite a few pairs of gloves for various things and Hestra are top notch as someone already said, although I got a good deal on black diamonds, which reviewed well and have now proven themselves.

My cold weather gloves are black diamond guides which are actually proper leather, so should wear accordingly. Not cheap but I've tested them down to -21c+, or rather, mostly my wife did when her gloves proved inadequate (froze). She put the black diamonds on and was warm again in a few minutes...I did manage to wrestle them back from her though.

In my view, because they take a lot of abuse, I think that getting say, a £60 or so pair for general use and then an expensive but really warm pair as a spare (extreme conditions) set would be the way to go.

For example, I bought a pair of outdoor research for about £50 or so, which are absolutely fine down to around -8 whilst actively skiing, but when it gets very cold, such as it did in Obergurgl the other week, I turned to the black diamonds, as bulky as they are. I reckon I'll get maybe 12 weeks of "full time" skiing out of the £50 pair and then replace them. The really good ones are kept for when they are needed, so if looked after, should last a lifetime.

No matter what you do, gloves will smell so I'm not entirely sure its a great idea to keep daily use gloves for years on end unless they can be cleaned somehow. Thats where natural materials come into their own imo.

Gloves are one of the most important items of equipment in my opinion. If you have no dexterity when its cold, you're in a serious jam. Then again, I saw a guy skiing in sub zero temperatures a couple of days ago with no gloves at all....!
ski holidays
This is a classic snowheads thread, where there are lots of replies, of which almost none address the OP's query. rolling eyes

The query raised is gloves not lasting.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
This is a classic snowheads thread, where there are lots of replies, of which almost none address the OP's query. rolling eyes

The query raised is gloves not lasting.

Good point!

To address that. Basically, I reckon truly long lasting = hide leather = expensive. A lot of it depends on whether or not you have a brush to clear the snow out of your bindings before putting your skis in the car NehNeh
latest report
Hestra all the way! Mine have lasted years, they keep my hands warm and dry and they've not ripped and the stitching hasn't come loose. Worth the money IMO.

I also have leashes on them so I can't lose them.

Saying that, these look nice:

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/rab-guide-glove-A3215473.html?colour=124
snow report
I feel the answer to my original post that as usual you get what you pay for. I don't think that I'm doing anything unusual so I've just been unlucky with my mid priced gloves. The Salomon's were refunded but my Reusch were over a year old dispite having only done two weeks so they couldn't.
Maybe Hestra is the way forward although I am conscious of not becoming that person with all the gear and no idea.
latest report
Glove failure like this is almost always caused by carrying skis incorrectly, ie letting the ski edges pinch and cut into the palm, no glove will tolerate that..........
You should squeeze the skis between fingers and thumb to hold them, not just make a fist around the skis, practise, you’ll see what I mean!
snow report
I've found Dakine to last quite a long time as opposed to Rossignol, Reusch and especially a 80 euro pair of Gordini (bought in resort as it got really cold - they did less than 6 days before falling apart, but it was in the second week of skiing, over an year after the purchase)
snow report
The leather work gloves last well for me. Cost about 15 euro.
latest report

3 year old well used gloves often carrying several pairs of skis, with none of the care recommended by KenX, and I never bothered applying the provided care cream product. These Hestra gloves are bulletproof. By all means try your luck with some other brands to save a few quid, but if you want gloves guaranteed to stand up to abuse and last then you won’t go wrong with Hestra. The only care required is to take out the inners to wash them every season
latest report
My Outdoor Research gloves were about £70, so not cheap, but after 10 or so weeks of skiing the only bit of wear is on the nose wipe part that’s on the thumb.
ski holidays
Another shout for TK Maxx - they have some excellent quality gloves for much less ££ than buying the same things in a ‘proper’ ski shop. We’ve had Reusch, Eider, Salomon etc and never paid more than around £20. I’d also echo the questions as to why your gloves seem to fall apart so quickly? I’ve had a favourite pair of Rossignol gloves for at least 15 years and they had only slight signs of wear around the palms - only replaced them this year as I’ve mislaid one
snow report
Ski shops are usually hugely overpriced...

Mittens are hard to beat for warmth, because they have less surface area and because you can put the 2 quid heating pads inside them. I've been totally comfy down to -25C in mittens, and they weren't the massive "arctic style" ones.
snow conditions
I always had problems with north face and Dakine - would generally go after 2 weeks. Have apair of hestras that have done 7 weeks now. Worth the extra £40-50
snow conditions
Kinco / Snowsheaperds ones are my usual gloves my Kincos have months of use (including working on the race pistes and are still going strong), I have some Hestra windstoppers (as I struggled to find thin gloves I liked).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy