Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goldsmith Rejoice - Atomic bring back rear entry boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Looks like Atomic are bringing back rear-entry boots with the 'Savor' for next season: https://www.facebook.com/ATOMICSKIING/videos/241162363479084

Personally I'm now 100% converted to the Dalbello 3 piece style boot, but this may be interesting for some...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Savor business model is an interesting one. Are there THAT many people who don't want to bother with carving, but just want to pootle about doing pivot turns, and be able to carry their skis easily because they're light? It will be interesting to see how ski schools/instructors cope with people on that sort of equipment.

That video, by the way, is all about skis. You get a better idea of what the boot looks like from this: https://www.amersports.com/2019/01/skiing-made-easy-with-atomic-savor/

Not sure that the integrated helmet/goggle is as ground-breaking as they make out!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm - boots that are optimised for comfort as happy feet make better skiing. I call BS on that - my trainers are orders of magnitude more comfortable than any ski boot I've ever had but would be functionally useless for skiing.

It's not a bad idea as a concept and deserves to be given a chance but it feels like an all-in offering bundled with lessons and something you graduate from rather than a major shake up of retail. Who wants to buy the "beginner special kit".
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The second article is interesting though, suggesting they have done their research and feedback is positive.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Quote:

an all-in offering bundled with lessons
That's a thought.

Quote:

Who wants to buy the "beginner special kit"
Well, I suppose most people don't start on high end skis. But that's a bit different from buying skis on which, if I understand this correctly, you simply can't carve at all.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So what exactly is new?

Kit aimed at beginners and intermediates? I am quite sure that's been done before.

Rear entry boots? Have they changed the laws of physics? Don't look revolutionary to me...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Quote:

That's a thought.

Quote:

Well, I suppose most people don't start on high end skis. But that's a bit different from buying skis on which, if I understand this correctly, you simply can't carve at all.

No sure that is what is said - from the link.....
Quote:
In a nutshell, the Savor skis are very user-friendly on-piste skis. They are light, and thus power-saving. A moderate sidecut in the tip and tail makes turn initiation effortless. A little bit more sidecut in the middle section ensures that skiers can carve when they want to. The grip on icy slopes is as good as in racing skis. As an extra feature, the skis have a particular grip zone that makes carrying them easier.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@t4tomo,
Quote:

A little bit more sidecut in the middle section ensures that skiers can carve when they want to.
Ah, I missed that bit, it wasn't so clear from the interview, or maybe I just wasn't concentrating.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Quote:

That's a thought.

Quote:

No sure that is what is said - from the link.....
Quote:
In a nutshell, the Savor skis are very user-friendly on-piste skis. They are light, and thus power-saving. A moderate sidecut in the tip and tail makes turn initiation effortless. A little bit more sidecut in the middle section ensures that skiers can carve when they want to. The grip on icy slopes is as good as in racing skis. As an extra feature, the skis have a particular grip zone that makes carrying them easier.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some of the claims do seem a tad hyperbolic - Grip as good as race skis? Hmm , given that these are specifically designed to be light and flimsy for useability how do they equal the grip offerred by the I Beam that is the FIS SL ski?

I believe there is probably a core truth somewhere in here that for a lot of leisure skiers (people who ski rather than skiers) then they probably are on overengineered kit which is capable of way more than they ever demand of it. But the corollary is that that if this is truly a radical departure then performance will fall off a cliff once skills get past a certain level. Either that or the whole thing is really emperor's new clothes.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
So what exactly is new?

Rear entry boots? Have they changed the laws of physics? Don't look revolutionary to me...

It's "Back to the Future".
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Hmm - boots that are optimised for comfort as happy feet make better skiing. I call BS on that - my trainers are orders of magnitude more comfortable than any ski boot I've ever had but would be functionally useless for skiing.

It's not a bad idea as a concept and deserves to be given a chance but it feels like an all-in offering bundled with lessons and something you graduate from rather than a major shake up of retail. Who wants to buy the "beginner special kit".

I get where you are coming from, but I am desperately looking for a boot that I can where comfortable when pootling around with a 5, 7 and 8 year old. One that doesn't leave me aching and constantly adjusting. My old Raichle Rear Entries were fab compared to my Head Advant. Yes on steeper pistes and going faster Head Advant are better, but having some comfy boots for the less technical parts woudl be great.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looking at @Hurtle's link, there doesn't seem to be very much ski behind the binding Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My BS alarm is going off!

@FrediKanoute, you can have decently performing boots that are comfy. If you haven’t found some that work for you, keep looking. Thousands of ski instructors and trainers have boots that are comfy all day but still give them the required support when they want to ski. If you really can’t get boots to do both roles, get 2 pairs.

Beginners and intermediates don't have the technique to carve so the bit about the “magic” skis is also nonsense.

It is all marketing guff by Atomic, makers of some of the best kit money can buy.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rental shops will love RE boots - quick, comfy, cheap. Plus people are getting older and more inclined to pootle about so there must be a market for such products.

Found this perspective:

Quote:
Where Are Rear-Entry Boots Now that We Need Them?

https://www.realskiers.com/revelations/rear-entry-boots-now-need/
snow report
Sounds to me like an awful load of waffle....
snow conditions
Gordyjh wrote:

It is all marketing guff by Atomic, makers of some of the best kit money can buy.

To me it smacks of Ski Evolutif...ie.....Let's re-invent something that sort of bypasses the difficult bit.

I can remember Ali Ross saying that The Snowplough was a necessary step in working towards the parallel turn, as the lower leg was the same through both types of turn. The Parallel turn could be hard to grasp on long, old school skis and was often badly taught, so going directly to it, seemed tempting.....except that a snowlpough is necessary for getting around the mountain and Evolutif was inclined to ingrain bad habits (like sitting back and twisting your feet).

I suspect that this kit will just enable Intermediates to remain on the plateau even longer.....but hey, it's about enjoyment, so there will be those who welcome it.
latest report
Those boots are Nordica NS720’s, Nordica must be firing up the copyright lawyers!
The variable sidecut isn’t really new either as Scott have been doing it brilliantly and to great effect for years.
snow conditions
What I wrote, under the name my parents gave me, back on 7 January 2008 ...

Quote:
The Salomon SX91 was the finest piece of ski boot design ever conceived. People bought it and its derivatives because it worked brilliantly. It was sold by word of mouth and the personal experiences of boot fitters in ski shops.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34222#815481

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Bearing in mind that the key patents are now 30 years old ... one would expect much more than a rearguard action ... from rear-entry. It should be the mainstream again, in the interests of skier comfort/ergonomics/enjoyment.

[end of rant]
snow report
Wonder if there is anything in it being done by Amer under the Atomic name rather than Salomon. Atomic more "prestigious" association with racing etc in the mind of the Chinese owners. Is this really a play to get China skiing?

Or is Salomon sufficeintly tainted by the BBR hoopla/fail that bringing a bit of Gallic eccentricity/creativity/flair back under that brand is a risky proposition?

Or Nuffuink of course. You've have thought Solly could just hand the SX moulds to Atomic in the first place - Ooh one snag can't remember SX boots meeting the "light" bit of the brief.
snow conditions
having gone through 5 pairs of ski boots during my career, the most comfortablist by far were my raichle rear entry boots,"1986 - 1990" i only changed them because the man in the ski hire shop laughed at me.
ski holidays
compostcorner wrote:
having gone through 5 pairs of ski boots during my career, the most comfortablist by far were my raichle rear entry boots,"1986 - 1990" i only changed them because the man in the ski hire shop laughed at me.

Whereas I bought a pair of Raichle front entry boots for my second ski holiday in 1989 because they were about the only ones available. On my first ski holiday they gave me 3 different rear entry boots from the hire shop before finding some front entries in the back that I could wear for more than half a day!
ski holidays
@Davina Goldballs, Hi Dave, I really thought the SX92 Equipe was an improvement. I skied with SX 80's ( softy boots) SX 90 Equipes (super-firm, did my BASI with these bad boys). But the "IT" boots were Hansons ……………. https://retro-skiing.com/2015/12/rear-entry-ski-boots-the-impossible-dream/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy