Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dry Slope Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
@Wonkyski, Give Tamworth a go. Much better than a dry slope (imo) so if you can combine the two that would be good.
Try to avoid busy times at Tamworth though i. e. Weekends and school holidays.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@cad99uk, Yes, I intend too. Be good to get Mrs Wonkski some lessons too (non-skier but enjoyed dry-slope skiing as a teenager.) so we’re potentially set for a ski holiday next year!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Glad you are enjoying it. I hated the dry slope to start with but my confidence has come on leaps and bounds and I definately feel slope-ready now instead of not really looking forward to it. Personally I didn’t like Tamworth but think I have been unlucky as it’s always been heaving when Ive tried it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just going through this thread. @pamw it didn't happen to be Newmilns dry slope in Ayrshire all those years ago? If so it's still going strong having had decent investment recently
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They are looking into massive investment into hollend in Edinburgh, hotel & zipwire's ect.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Went back again last week and enjoyed it, when I finished I realised why; my bindings were caked in icy slush. There was obviously no ice or snow on the surface but I guess there was underneath, I assume it made the surface more slippery and more like skiing on snow!
I’m booked in for a three hour morning session at Tamworth SnowZone tomorrow morning. Looking forward to that!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wonkyski wrote:
Went back again last week and enjoyed it, when I finished I realised why; my bindings were caked in icy slush. There was obviously no ice or snow on the surface but I guess there was underneath, I assume it made the surface more slippery and more like skiing on snow!
I’m booked in for a three hour morning session at Tamworth SnowZone tomorrow morning. Looking forward to that!

Great stuff - have a great time. A lot of people in my club don’t come when it’s raining which is mad as that’s when dry slopes run best - apart from ice and snow of course.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bambionskiis, I’ll be sure to try it when it’s wet, I really enjoyed the cold, slippery conditions after a sub-zero, sleety night.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wonkyski wrote:
@bambionskiis, I’ll be sure to try it when it’s wet, I really enjoyed the cold, slippery conditions after a sub-zero, sleety night.

Let’s face it, there probably aren’t many times in life any of us say that sentence - gotta love skiing Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wonkyski wrote:

Welcome to our slope
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just had a session at Tamworth. After the first run I thought, ‘is that it?’ But once I’d done a few runs and warmed up I started enjoying it. Found it good for working on my technique. Wonder if I’ve spoilt myself for the dry slope now, but at least this is available too (45 min drive from home.)
Will definetly come back and get Mrs Wonkyski along for a lesson or two, then, maybe, we can plan a ski holiday for next season!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
iskar wrote:
Wonkyski wrote:

Welcome to our slope

thank you very much Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In another generation I ran the Warwick Uni ski club and we would go every Wed to Gloucester dry ski slope. It’s where I learned to ski with my copy of “we learned to ski”. They are great for honing technique but not much fun. If you can ski properly on a dry slope by improving the technical aspects then your snow skiing will be significantly better (and easier) than on the mat.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tamworth my local slope too, good fun if you make it so! (and if you want dryslope Swadlincote isn't far), if Mrs learns there she will have no fear of hardpack and ice!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Sfellows, @davkt, try racing. There is a vibrant dryslope racing scene.
ski holidays
Probably a bit old for that!
ski holidays
@davkt, You cannot be - I started in my late 50s and still race regulary at 68. There are others older still racing.
snow report
@Wonkyski, Lots of good advice above. To pick up on the equipment side, dry slopes wrecks skis, so unless you have an pair that you don't mind wrecking, use the ski centre's skis. Go for a much shorter ski than usual - I ski 174-178 on snow, but 160 on a dry slope. Take a spray can of silicon (from Screwfix), or just a spray can of furniture polish. It will make the skis glide faster and more smoothly, and generally be a lot more fun. You'll need to re-spray after a few runs, as it wears off quickly. Your own boots are a good idea.

Snow is definitely better, but dry slopes are cheaper, less crowded, and a good place to brush up on basic skills.
ski holidays
@Chamcham, Thanks. I don’t have my own skis and even if I did, would definitely uses the centres! I’ll try the silicon tii though. I came to conclusion after the three hour Tamworth session that I need my own boots - I was in pain by the end!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy