Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dry Slope Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Last winter, after a nearly thirty year gap, (I’m early forties now) started skiing again in Scotland, being based about 90 minutes from the Lecht and Glenshee. I guess I’m early-intermediate standard (or was by end of the season) I’m now Bristol based and currently having a coffee at Mendip Snowsports Centre and about to have a go. Any advice? What are the differences between snow skiing and dry slope?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I tried it last year and was amazed how hard it was. It brings out any flaws in your technique and balance (of which I have many). Take it slowly.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. Hmm. In two minds whether to do it now (dropped in just to check it out) or come back properly equiped with my ski gloves etc to protect myself better if I tumble.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I used an old pair of ski gloves. What surface is it? On the one I went to (Gloucester) you could easily get your thumb trapped in the webbing when you fell.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hia @Wonkyski,
Gloves are pretty essential on a dry slope. If you go over you can get a nasty injury if it's dendex... The criss crossed stuff. If not and it's just the flat stuff you'll probably be OK as you're there anyway. Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Also the one up here has various points you can get off the poma rather than commit right to the top.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Wonkyski, Make it part of a programme of improvement rather than just a one off visit. May I suggest you join Avon ski club and their coaching programme. I think they train on a Tuesday evenning
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Its the criss cross hairy stuff. Wasn’t planning to come so although i’ve got an old coat and tough (army surplus) trousers in car i’ve only got light leather gloves not my ski gloves with me.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As it opened, I worked at Sheffield Ski Village, after my Dad dislocated his thumb at Ski Rossendale back in the 1970's I was very aware of the Dendix issues.

" A numb bumb is better than a broken thumb" Keep hold of your poles, keep hands up if you fall. Sorted.

Been a long time since I skied plastic though, (pre shaped skis) Would be fun to have another go sometime.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JohnE. Great idea. I work shifts so not always around on a Tuesday evening but sure i can get a few sessions in.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, i think as i have Monday off I’ll wait until then and wear my proper gloves and bring my own helmet. It’s £12 for all day on Monday too! I’ll definetely try some of the evening improver sessions as well. The centre does ‘Thursksi’ £21 for adults £19 for kids. Might not be ‘proper’ skiing but looks fun!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't give up after your first try. This was my first season in plastic. I thought I was going to fall all the way down on the first day! And it was a little embarrassing as I was the only adult in the hill with all the parents watching Laughing it does get easier the second time round and it's definitely worth it for summer fitness and far cheaper than the indoor slope.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would be surprised if they let you on without gloves!
Also being able to use the pull lift is mandatory to them allowing you to use the slopes.
At leat thats the case at few dry slopes I have used.

Also hands to fist if you fall so your fingers dont slide into the dendix & snap them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the advice. Will definetly come back better equiped. Was using the poma in scotland last year so no problems with that!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ah, memories... just checked out the website - and it is indeed the dry slope at Churchill I first learnt on 30 years ago (well, new dendix I hope wink ).

It's a lot smaller than the Gloucester dry slop facility... but it is if I remember decently steep - which is a vey good thing with the dry stuff.
Great place to learn & get your ski legs back - it is proper skiing, if anything it's more demanding on proper technique so well worth doing and having a few one-on-one lessons i'd imagine.

As mentioned, beware your thumbs!
ski holidays
Enjoy your thumbs whilst you have them!

I managed to sprain both my thumbs & ended up with flippers for hands for a week or so. Snow factory in Glasgow for me now. The other issue with plastic was the rentals. The last time I was there (Hillend) there were no skis anywhere near suitable for someone who is 6'3"
latest report
@Wonkyski, go for it. I rejoined our local slope in Glasgow a few years ago, mainly as the kids were being asked to race for the school team. I was similar to you in that I'd last skied on dry slope when Scotland could qualify for a major football tournament Crying or Very sad I have to say that the standard of instruction is much better than at braehead and a real family club vibe to it. Last year I tried the adult race training but I was simply not quite good enough. Everyone on holiday last year noticed however that my technique had improved quite a bit. I've started doing a masterclass course which is essentially the level below race training and suits me better. I'm away next week to Hinterglemm and can't wait to try out the stuff I've learned over the last 8 weeks on actual snow. If going weekly it also gets the right muscles used.
snow report
@Wonkyski, both my kids had their first foray on skis at mendip, on the tasters sessions, before having proper lessons at Hemel prior to recent ski trips.
I took them back there late last year, as they wanted to have snowboard taster sessions, we all went skiing together afterwards, it was the first time I had been back on "plastic" in nearly 25 years, used to go quite a lot in the early 90's to either Hillingdon and beckton alps.

must admit we all absolutely hated it, am not sure if in my case I was using my own skis (you know what they say about a tradesmen blaming their tools Toofy Grin Toofy Grin ), but I could barely move or turn.
when I eventually got some speed up I ended up on my "arris" at the bottom of the slope, I also managed to hurt my thumb!!

I have done a few seasons in the alps before, so consider myself relatively competent, i have decided that i will go again soon (its my nearest slope until Swindon opens Laughing Laughing ) though and give it another try, but this time using their skis.
ski holidays
I had a 30 year gap after having been for two weeks in the army. Think they called it "snowqueen" back then. Put off going for years thinking my bad knees from rugby world affect me. However it's like riding a bike, found I could still do it, knees were fine and haven't looked back. That was eight years ago.
I would miss out on the plastic, try to go to a snow dome or just book a holiday and get back on it. Before it's too late.
latest report
Go for it! Although it can be a bit unforgiving if you take a tumble, dendex is the best dry slope surface to practice on ‘cos it takes an edge. Put enough pressure on the outside ski and you’ll be fine. This time of year is great on dry slopes - nice and slippery on those cold winter evenings.
snow report
I also recommend having your own dry slope skis that you can keep nice and sharp and well waxed. Short slalom skis are great- I use 155s
snow conditions
We had lessons, years ago, on a dry ski slope in the Ayrshire coalfield which was so run down it didn't have a lift - you shouldered your skis and walked up the mud/grass at the edges. Damn good training!
snow report
I found the slopes were completely empty in Gloucester when it was raining during the week evenings, and that skiing on dry slopes in the rain was much more fun than when it was dry (less friction).

So my tip would be go when it is raining, as lets face it there is not much you can do which is actually better in the rain than go dry slope skiing. Not only is it better, other people do not go and it is virtually empty.

I was intermediate when I was using these slopes, trying to improve technique before ski holidays. (as well as just having fun) I did not have any lessons there, just turned up with my boots and hired some skis and poles.
ski holidays
I entered a ski race Friday evening on a dry slope (Midland Ski Club - damm good club). I hadn't skied on a dry slope for over a month so was a bit rusty and arrived just (and I really mean just) in time for my run. It felt really weird that first run through the gates (no time for a practice or an inspection and following 11 days on snow) but by the second run it felt nice and I really enjoyed it. OK I was 30% slower than the fastest but I really enjoyed it. To get the most from dry slope skiing gt some 155 slalom skies and keep them really sharp.
snow report
@johnE, My wife’s (a Black country lass) comment on Midland Ski Club when she saw it was in Sparkhill was ‘wear your bullet-proof vest.’ Shocked
ski holidays
@Wonkyski, Why?
snow conditions
I’m not a middlander myself so i don’t know exactly but she turned her nose up at that area of the city. She used to go through it with one of the first jobs she had.
snow report
@johnE, Apart from that, thanks for advice, looking forward to giving it a go. Live in the middlands but work Bristol so be good to have something to do when down there but not working!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Wonkyski, @johnE,
Sparkhill is not so bad. It’s where Citizen Khan lives. Mention you know him and you should be fine at the Ackers Trust dry slope.

If you do dry slope skiing, a tip. Wear an old or cheap pair of mitts. Shove your whole hand into the finger section of the mitts. Then your thumb is much less likely to be damaged.

Broken or badly sprained thumbs a very common dry slope injury.
snowHead
latest report
Quote:

Sparkhill is not so bad. It’s where Citizen Khan lives. Mention you know him and you should be fine at the Ackers Trust dry slope

Sadly there are not enough of the local muslims who come to the Ackers. I wish they did. My friend (A muslim who wears a burka) won't go again since she broke a bone on her first trip. TBH it is the driving you have to watch out for more than anything. But that is the same anywhere in the world.
ski holidays
To answer the OP, a dry slope is MUCH less forgiving of poor technique than real snow or a snow dome - I have seen plenty of probably very competent holiday skiers come a cropper on their first few hours on plastic. You can get away with sloppy turns on snow, but a dry slope will just chew you up and spit you out!

endoman wrote:
”A numb bumb is better than a broken thumb" Keep hold of your poles, keep hands up if you fall. Sorted.

I disagree - trying to keep hold of the pole can actually increase the force acting on your thumb IF you do happen to put your hands out to break your fall. Any attempt to save your dignity can be more harmful - better to go for a full yard sale!

And as for keeping your hands ‘up’ - it might work at very low speeds but I’m not sure this is possible on 90% of the high speed spills I’ve seen. It’s much better to ditch your poles early, clench your fists, keep your arms close to your body, and try to absorb the impact with the larger muscle groups.

(I’ve broken one thumb and twanged the other, so I just need to remember my own advice NEXT time I take a tumble... rolling eyes)
snow report
I’m going to weekly lessons in preparation for my holiday, and it’s hard. You get punished if you make the slightest mistake and when you fall it really bloody hurts!! You can get away with far more on snow. It does however concentrate the mind. I’m really improving and my confidence is growing weekly.

I always get really tense at the beginning of a ski trip and just don’t really get going until day 3. This year, just going through the weekly process of skiis on and button lift mean I’m now quite matter of fact.

I wouldn’t entertain going without proper full ski gear though.
snow conditions
Amunah wrote:
To answer the OP, a dry slope is MUCH less forgiving of poor technique than real snow or a snow dome - I have seen plenty of probably very competent holiday skiers come a cropper on their first few hours on plastic. You can get away with sloppy turns on snow, but a dry slope will just chew you up and spit you out!

endoman wrote:
”A numb bumb is better than a broken thumb" Keep hold of your poles, keep hands up if you fall. Sorted.

I disagree - trying to keep hold of the pole can actually increase the force acting on your thumb IF you do happen to put your hands out to break your fall. Any attempt to save your dignity can be more harmful - better to go for a full yard sale!

And as for keeping your hands ‘up’ - it might work at very low speeds but I’m not sure this is possible on 90% of the high speed spills I’ve seen. It’s much better to ditch your poles early, clench your fists, keep your arms close to your body, and try to absorb the impact with the larger muscle groups.

(I’ve broken one thumb and twanged the other, so I just need to remember my own advice NEXT time I take a tumble... rolling eyes)

I spent a lot of my time at Sheff teaching beginners, so low speed was the order of the day. Fortunately my digits survived intact.
Totally agree with your observations re high speed stuff, I didn't race, so didn't really fall much.
snow report
Would recommend not wearing anything you're fond of on dendix, if you fall the bristles go through anything. Much better surface than permasnow though. Dendix teaches you that you can always be better - it punishes laziness; enjoy it!

IIRC that place used to be called Churchill adventure centre, it's got multiple dendix paths through woodland and a quarter pipe?
ski holidays
Thanks for the tips, chaps. Well I’ve tried it and it is as many of you said. Not sure I really enjoyed it, to be honest. Just stuck to the beginners short poma today which gives about a 100m run. I see what people mean by showing up faults and found it hard to gain confidence. In the end, I decided not to keep repeating the same mistakes and have booked a 90 minute lesson later in the week.
ski holidays
@Wonkyski, my local dry ski slope is a “proslope” material, which I find a lot nicer to ski on than dendix. Is there a slope you can get to which is that material?
latest report
@NickyJ, Not that I know of, at least none that are convienent. I live in the midlands but work out Bristol. Mendip is 4 miles from the BnB I regularly use when not ‘night stopping’ with work. So the three for me, I guess are Midland in Brum, Gloucester (half way between home and work) and Mendip. Planning to try Tamworth (anout 1 hour away from home) indoor centre too at some point.
snow conditions
To clear up any misunderstanding, I wasn’t trying to put you off - I actually love skiing our dry slope: yes, it’s tough, and unforgiving, but I feel better ironing out the worst of wrinkles in my technique there than on the mountain!
snow report
@Amunah, Thanks, not giving up yet. I think a lesson or two are in order anyway. Apart from my childhood skiing, I had a group lesson to get started last year (probably not that useful, in retrospect, as the instructors attention on those who couldn’t stay upright) and one solo lesson. Then i just had about a dozen sessions of throwing myself down icy Scottish mountains!
ski holidays
Well, went back for a second try, this time with personal lesson. Definetlety worth while and I enjoyed it. The dry slope was quite a good environment for being coached in the basics (probably less so for more advanced skiiers) Was certainly good to have an instructor watching (from below and following) to pick up the flaws in my technique (mostly not having weight far enough forward, particularly on the upper ski) The instructor, a young lady, clearly wasn’t an especially experienced skiier herself (I gathered she’d learnt there and was bring developed in different disciplines) but that was fine. Certainly when first learning to fly, a natural ‘sky god’ isn’t what you want, you need a good teacher, and I see no reason why skiing wouldn’t be the same. Anyway, the lesson gave the confidence to come back and work on my skills. I will try to attend some of the improver evenings they have, too.
Probably be next season before I can get out on real snow again but in the meantime, this is an acceptable alternative.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy