Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

US passport nightmares

Poster: A snowHead
Just been speaking to a friend who lost two days of his skiing holiday in Vail because his kids didn;t have separate passports. Incredibly, the family in front of him at the check-in had the same problem. And when he finally got back to the airport with new passports, so did the family behind him in the queue. On return he told his boss what happened, who, on learning of the incident, had to make an emergency trip to the passport office before his skiing holiday the following week.

Last year this issue got a lot of press but it seems that the airlines are now assuming that everyone knows the rules. If you or a friend are off skiing to the States, check your passports - kids need their own, and passports must have at least 6 months validity on your return to the UK.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
on a better note, if you fly to the US from Shannon or Dublin - you go through immigration at the European end - meaning no need to stand in those damnable queues when you get to the United States - great if you have kids with you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
US Immigration are complete bar stewards. Even when I was a US visa holder I used to get the third degree. And that was coming from Canada of all places.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Despite what I'd have to admit were my prejudices and negative preconceptions, I'm never met with anything other than courtesy and good humour when I visit the states. I still object to the principle of some of the entry requirements and the paperwork but I can't work any sympathy up at all for anyone that can't be bothered to check beforehand if they can travel, the US embassy and government sites are awash with information about travel documents, what you can and can't take in luggage etc etc. Despite having a PA who does all this for me I still take the effort to check personally, that people can't be bothered for their holiday just beggars belief.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ise wrote:
that people can't be bothered for their holiday just beggars belief.

Nothing surprises me in the human stupidy stakes wink Airport programmes are a good case in point.Full of people making basic passport/ticket/time errors,then seeking to blame anyone but themselves Confused The info is freely avaliable,take the time to read it!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ise, where do you fly into? The immigration "officials" at JFK beggar belief for rudeness, discourtesy and a zeal for unpleasantness that must be implanted with large rusty torque wrenches.

I will admit to a slight bias right now having just returned into Gatwick with the entire parties (4 of us) luggage remaining in Houston. It's not rocket science...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think that kids have required their own passports for USA for some time. Don't they need them for everywhere now? Exactly what benefit that gives everyone is hard to see.

I've always found US immigration officials a bit frosty, but polite. I have had soem fairly heefty queues, mainly at JFK and Newark. Calgary used to be pretty slow, but there are more desks now.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is from First Choice

and the given reason?

From the UK Passport Service
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JFK are awful. Boston was no better. The UK is becoming like the US, I guess they've been told by the Americans it's a "good idea" to be grumpy.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was last at Washington 'Dullas' (real name) in the States. The managed to query my job title (nothing special), check my ripe shoes (had been out partying all night prior) but neglected to look inside my tobacco pouch which contained ripped Rizla packets. They did manage to find a lighter in bag even though I was sure I had emptied it. What they also neglected to pick up on was the large stash of smokers in the smoking room in the departure room all bearing eye brow burning bombs.

. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowskisnow wrote:
ise wrote:
that people can't be bothered for their holiday just beggars belief.

Nothing surprises me in the human stupidy stakes wink Airport programmes are a good case in point.Full of people making basic passport/ticket/time errors,then seeking to blame anyone but themselves Confused The info is freely avaliable,take the time to read it!

I love those programs, seeing them having to suffer the consequences of their own actions is fantastic. Most of them go through life while everyone bears the consequences.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch wrote:
ise, where do you fly into? The immigration "officials" at JFK beggar belief for rudeness, discourtesy and a zeal for unpleasantness that must be implanted with large rusty torque wrenches.

Boston and San Franciso mostly, I've heard negative reports about JFK and Miami though.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
saxabar, Dulles, named after John not Allen.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ise, Fair comment. Boston are a delight and SF are nice people too. My amusement last week in transit thru Houston to Utah was the question, "Why y'all goin' skiin' in Ootah? The best skiin' 's in Colourado!"

Then again, in my repping days I happened to be at Gatwick when one of "my" groups was checking in. I had personally ascertained that the airline in question required no documentation or ticket for a 3 month (or so) child. The checkin agent was being difficult about this (I fortunately had confirmatory fax) but things came to a bit of a head when the twit asked whether they couldn't just leave the infant behind...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
slikedges, Unintended literary license. Still, it does sum up Washington. How boring is the architecture!?
snow conditions
I flew into LA in the summer and to be fair it was pretty painless nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. I had more problems in Calgary this winter when alone with my 10 year old daughter they interviewed us to ensure I had not abducted her from her mother (my ex).
snow conditions
My friend acknowledged his own stupidity and I think that he's had to endure a great deal of ribbing. I was taken aback to discover just how many people fail to check the documentation that they need to travel.

As for US immigration, I've always found them to be polite but the queus can sometimes be horrendous. I've found the situation better in hub airpoprts like Cincinnati - I guess that if everyone had to wait for an hour there, the cost to airlines in missed connections would be enormous. There's no such financial pressure in airports that are largely an end destination
snow conditions
Jonny Jones, glad your friend admitted this as I would have felt rude stating the bleedin' obvious. I'm coming to the conclusion tho' that the yanks don't want us there so why bother putting yourself through the misery and torture. Stay in Europe!

BTW UK immigration and customs have always been grumpy. Humour and pleasantness centres are surgically removed during basic training.
ski holidays
Are you sure about the 6-month rule? US embassy helpline / website says that has been waived for UK citizens?

Ant
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy