Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips for taking kids skiing

Poster: A snowHead
We're heading for Courchevel in 2 weeks time, originally my wife and our two friends all 1 weeks skiers except for me. Unfortunately our friends had to cancel as one of them has an injury that now needs surgery. So wife and I thought it would be nice to take our 10 year old niece with us instead, she's has never been skiing before. Obviously we've booked ski school for both my wife and my niece, and Courchevel is a great place to learn (thats originally why we picked that resort). We're a little green in this space as we don't have children ourselves and always done adult type holidays, so i was wondering if any of you had any tips for us or advise that we might not have thought about.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Don’t force it. Be prepared for “down time”. Hopefully it won’t happen, but if it does, it does.
2. Lots of hot chocolate.
3. It is a holiday. It is meant to be fun.
4. If it is possible, try to get something before you go. Even a one hour lesson at a snow dome.
5. Take spare gloves
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As John says - definitely spare gloves! E.g. a cheap pair for messing around in the snow in evening while their ski gloves are drying.

And for kids these days - Wifi - if your residence doesn't have it you can sometimes rent little routers - e.g. HippocketWifi.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snacks in her pocket for when energy levels dip.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
…………..… don't ……………... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I’d definitely second trying to get some time at a snow done or dry ski slope before you go. It will possibly make the difference of being on green or blue slopes in the afternoons before the end of your hols.

And definitely, definitely take spare gloves!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All good advice above, ideally take a (paying) friend for the 10 year old, but in any event I’m sure she’ll have a blast
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All of the above plus

1) CLEAR lense goggles for those white out days. Yes yes I hear you all say yellow, pink, rose etc, but for a wee one, Oakley do clear goggles for motor cross that have the exact frame shape as ski goggles but for £20. My lad couldn't stand coloured goggles in poor light, so clear it was.

2) get a little light to put on the back of the helmet if you do decide to take her on the mountain. I picked up a little LED bike light from decathlon that flashed alternating between red and white. Not only can you see your little darling when they dart off into the distance on white out days, but so can everyone else tear ar$ing around - came in so handy with my lad in Finland last year. (Granted it was always dark!)

3) lots of thin layers, more than adults. Again my little one was always too hit or too cold with all the running around 1 minute and sitting in the snow the next.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The skiing should be fine - she'll probably love it and get on well. I'd say it'll be the "non ski" time which might be more tricky. I'd agree with @t4tomo that taking a friend who's also new to skiing would be ideal. But taking the wrong friend could be a disaster - 10 year old girls tend to be fairly particular in the friends department!! Depends a bit how well you know your niece - it might be worth taking some games to play (e.g. Rummikub) and making sure she has some books to read and her favourite music (and earphones!). As for a lesson in a snowdome, it depends on the child. If she's a nervous/apprehensive type then yes, it could help a lot. But if she's strong and sporty, and booked into beginner lessons, she could easily get a bit bored with the pace if she has a head start.

Whatever else, be prepared to ski with her, at her pace and on very easy slopes, in the afternoons - or to get the boots off and do other things if she's not super keen.

It'll be a different sort of holiday - she's a lucky girl to have such a great uncle!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Get a letter from her parents giving you permission to take her abroad.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As mentioned, spare gloves (though I think mitts are better/warmer). A bag of neck buffs and thick and thin balaclavas if it will be below -5C or windy - look on amazon.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Definitely get the permission letter. My mum used to be an immigration officer, and they often query children travelling with people other than their parents.
Go to an ice hockey match one evening, if there is one.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Russeh, Parental Consent varies from country to country and airline to airline. Within the EU you shouldn't have any problems. This link will take you to a template for a letter as recommended by the Home Office. You can adapt it accordingly. Some websites will say it has to be signed by a Solicitor but that's up to you. Clearly the witness should be a third party.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/348110/Letter_of_Consent_for_Minors_travelling_to_UK_Apr08.pdf

Your Niece's parents may already have something if she's travelled abroad with school for example. They're pretty routine.

As to the other stuff. Mini Mars Bars in pockets, Luggage Label attached to child with your phone number on it, sense of humour and Ice-Skating!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Russeh Our son's also 10 but he's been skiing since he was 4 and a half.

Looking back:

On the go, fudge and marzipan seem to hit the spot for snacks as they don't get too hard to eat when they're cold. He skis all day but it's obvious when his energy dips and needs a snack-stop. For a beginner, a longer stop with a flapjack, muffin or brownie might be good.

+1 for spare gloves and also a good buff or balaclava for the colder days. Warm kid, happier kid.

As she has never skied, the usual advice of a few practise sessions at a snowdome or dry-slope stands; if only to get her used to the faff of getting kitted up, the feeling of ski boots on her feet and how to get skis on and off.

This might not be relevant in your case this year but in case our son gets lost we put a laminated card with contact numbers in his pocket along with a whistle. You can write the accommodation details and any other info on the card. He's been briefed on what he should do if he happens to get lost and how to use the whistle. Why the whistle? It doesn't need batteries or a signal and goes back to the principles of being outdoors & in the mountains. As he's got older and has bigger jacket pockets he now also carries a phone with a tracking app installed. It can also be good for them to show where they've been in ski-school.

As always, it depends on the child...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Most already said but my tips would be layers with plenty of spares, be prepared they might want to stop early, make it fun with games on the slopes etc. Chocolate, hot chocolate and plenty of snacks. Mobile phone and phone numbers in pockets, advice to carry on to nearest lift if they get lost and phone an adult from there. Teach them how to work the mountain as early as you can - where to stop safely (Not in the middle just over a lip!), how to read the signs and lift map, get them to plan and lead you down a route, including a coffee stop etc.
Most important, enjoy and don't forget it's supposed to be a holiday
ski holidays
let them eat as much yellow, red & brown snow as they can Toofy Grin

Think of a plan B in case they just dont like the snow/mountain/skiing, etc.
latest report
Dr George wrote:
Chocolate, hot chocolate and plenty of snacks.

Just a warning on this...
With my daughter, who was 11 last year, because we were skiing in heavy snow all day, we stopped frequently to get warm. She managed to consume so much, ice cream, hot chocolate and other assorted treats, she puked up all night, so we missed half a days skiing and we had a very fragrant apartment for the rest of the week!
Skiing with my kids is brilliant though. You’ll have a great time.
ski holidays
Only take kids at school holidays.
snow report
Hi,
I’m on holiday now with my 13yo daughter, who Last skied 4 years ago.
Todays (day 1) biggest hurdles we went through were putting on / taking off ski boots. Walking in boots and carrying skis, falling and then standing up again. Putting skis on stood on a slope.
I’d definitely recommend some time on an artificial slope before you go (I didn’t do this) as it will give here some familiarisation of skis - particularly boots
latest report
@Russeh,
l
1. Cloth is important not to make her feel cold, layers is important depending on the weather. Gloves can get lost be prepared.
2. Don't have classes together with her - she should join other children.
3. Don't do hole day classes leave time for play together - other activites.
4. French run skischools can the a bit tough - would look at english skischools og international ones.
5. If you hire boots spend time to finde the right fit for her - not easy,as she does not know how they should feel - but very important.
6. Like others mostly say but go easy on the sweets and hot chocolate.
snow report
Like many others here, having taken my daughters skiing at that age I'd strongly emphasise the advice to take it easy and not to push hard.

Probably worth bearing in mind that adult chitchat at a bar can be very dull to children, so you might need to keep an eye to her when you stop for a drink.

Also, when you do stop - remind her to go to the loo! An adult doesn't think about holding up their partner for a minute or two, but a child might not speak up, not wanting to be a trouble - until you are some way down a run, then will tell you plaintively that it needs to go NOW.

Some children can happily try to eat their body weight in sugar, and then make themselves ill, as @Drammeister found. Many of us parents are regarded as 'no fun' because we try to prevent that and the inevitable consequences from happening! So do talk to her parents beforehand and get an idea of where to put a limit.

On the skiing front, any experience you can get before going will be a bonus, even just for understanding how ski boots can feel.
snow conditions
Thanks for the posts everyone, I’m In la plagne at the moment kinda hard to reply from a phone but there’s lots of good tips there I we just wouldn’t have thought about. I’ll reply properly when I get the chance
snow report
Put aside any ideas of getting on early morning lifts for fresh pistes. The faffage involved in skiing with kids is unbelievable to anyone used to skiing in adult groups.
latest report
Csb123 wrote:
Put aside any ideas of getting on early morning lifts for fresh pistes. The faffage involved in skiing with kids is unbelievable to anyone used to skiing in adult groups.

Dunno about that, mine drag me up for the first lift, they are super keen. Although it’s normally me in the evening asking sure all the gear that needs drying, is drying and not in a pile on the floor somewhere.
snow conditions
t4tomo wrote:
Csb123 wrote:

Dunno about that, mine drag me up for the first lift, they are super keen. Although it’s normally me in the evening asking sure all the gear that needs drying, is drying and not in a pile on the floor somewhere.

Given we are talking about a beginner, then the poster is correct. As you need to get that child Ito their lessons before you can ski yourself.

I guess it is possible to get said child and yourself ready so that the instance they are left in lesson you can ski but we haven’t managed that. We have ended up getting child into lesson then gout our stuff on, this way you are able to help the children with their gear.
snow report
Last week in Seefeld was our first with kids (both under 10) and as we were a 10 min walk to the slopes we hired a ski-locker. Best money I've ever spent on skiing as it gave us heated changing for us all to wander to in normal boots without the skis etc. Also made the transition of parents (so wife could go off and ski alone for 2 hours over lunch) much easier.
ski holidays
Csb123 wrote:
Last week in Seefeld was our first with kids (both under 10) and as we were a 10 min walk to the slopes we hired a ski-locker. Best money I've ever spent on skiing as it gave us heated changing for us all to wander to in normal boots without the skis etc. Also made the transition of parents (so wife could go off and ski alone for 2 hours over lunch) much easier.

Second that, definitely worth the money, or a slight premium for hiring skis from the “base station” rental shop that usually throws such luxury into the hire price.
snow report
@Csb123, makes a really good point. We never used a ski locker until ours were 11. Had years of Piou Piou and ski lessons using the ski buses, getting twins kitted up and ourselves out was tough but when they are little, on the whole mine went where I pointed them. But by 10 she will be more vocal and you will be negotiating more esp as this is your niece. I'd also check out what the rules are with the phone, if she has one. I used to take some pens and paper for lunchtime stops, so they could amuse themselves. Also, I carried their sunglasses, so they could get the goggles off if they wanted. I also carry the calpol melts tablets, just in case anyone hurts themselves. Other shave covered the other key points I think. Good luck.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not sure if anyone has mentioned but getting some silk ski glove liners could make all the difference between cold hands and not. They are cheap as chips but worth it. Do not be disappointed if the child wants to bail early. Because there is so much waiting around in ski classes she could be cold and bored in the wrong weather. Uno is a great fall back card game...
snow report
I would take chemical handwarmers as kids gloves are enough faff to get on when they or the the kid is wet and cold let alone trying to get on silk inners as well. And there are nothing like gloves for getting lost.

Chem hardwarmers, although not the greenest solution, warm them quickly during breaks. They can last the whole day and if not too hot can be slipped into gloves as well.

Also use mittens rather than gloves (warmer & easier to put on) and take two pairs each.
snow conditions
Definately a laminated card with emergency contact details on. One in coat, one in trousers. We include contact details for both parents, an emergency phone number from someone back home, accom details, ski school details, EHIC number, passport number, ours has a peanut allergy so that is included too. Both mine are instructed what to do in case of getting lost / emergencies.

Other than that, plenty of snacks, frequent stops, a non skiing activity like swimming ( austrian therme baths are a great afternnon activity, not sure if there is an equivalent where you are going?).
snow report
Buy a few 5 euro bum sledges, they're great fun and will fit in your case to reuse.

Spare gloves/hats for snowball fights

Make sure their kit is drying at night.

Echoed about the hot chocolate and sweets, great but in moderation.

Snow dome prior to the holiday, 100%

Be prepared for a few sulky mornings when they get tired and depending on your accommodation they may put on an earlier meal for kids. Take them up on that and have some chill time yourselves.
snow report
OK just re-read through the whole thread again and there are definitely some things we just haven't thought about. The consent letter is a really good point, didn't even think about it but my wife and my niece have the same surname so i think it will be less of an issue but we'll still do it to be on the safe side.

Right bit of a theme running with clothes and particularly gloves, more required based off feedback. We've got about two of most things except outer layers e.g. gloves

I should have mentioned that she has recently done a ski lesson in a snowdome with school, thats how we know she's interested. We decided against more snowdome time as there are limited options for under 11s and essentially its a very expensive private lesson thats better invested in a resort school.

Slight regret not looking at bringing a friend with her as i think that would be better but a little late to do anything about that. Luckily her and my wife are very close and we are both prepared to make space for fun stuff.

We will definitely go easy on the treats, don't want to recreate [b]@Drammeister[b]'s story! Shocked

Ski School has been a bit tricky, we're booked into new generation but they have minimums to run the groups. Because this is out of school holidays there have been no other kids bookings so we've had to re-think that. NewGen have been super good about it and we've now sorted it.

We are right outside the main lifts in Courchevel 1850 and i'm hoping that will alleviate some of the pressure to get ready for ski school in the morning!
snow report
Kids speak to anyone so don't worry about that.
Keeping them warm and fed is about 99% of the challenge. Don't fill them up with sugar but like owning horses have a pocketful of sweeties to coax them down sometimes!
In lift pass pocket stuck card with names and numbers. If they are in ski school likely they will have a name sticker on helmet, stick your mobile number on it as well. Also do speak to them about what to do if they get lost or lose their class. Stay still and make an adult aware you are lost but don't go anywhere !
Accept you will probably do a bit less skiing than you may like but there's a lot of fun having a beer while they sledge ... for hours and hours !
latest report
My tip is easily identifiable skiwear. Blacks and greys may hide the inevitable filth but its easier to pick a runaway Jnr out of a crowd by a bright helmet and jacket.
ski holidays
Having just returned from our first trip with our 6yr old the first thing we did after day one was get a locker by the lift. She'd been to xscape quite a few times so was used to wearing the boots but having to walk about in them, especially after skiing wasn't good. Either that or you wear a rucksack big enough to carry a change of footwear (not ideal obviously). It was bitterly cold and all the snow canons were in use by the nursery slopes which highlighted the fact that neckwarmers weren't up to the job. Get balaclavas and spare gloves.
snow conditions
@Whitty Yeah i can imagine long walks to/from lifts with gear being quite bothersome with a 6 year old, luckily for us we are almost ski-in ski out with the main lifts and ski school meeting place being right outside our hotel.

@Richard_Sideways i was thinking about getting one of these funky helmet covers, any idea where you can get them?
snow conditions
@Russeh, https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ebay.co.uk/b/amp/ski-helmet-cover/bn_7024802081
ski holidays
thanks @holidayloverxx cheap aren't they Shocked
ski holidays
Russeh wrote:
thanks @holidayloverxx cheap aren't they Shocked

I have been shocked by the price of them. We passed on my daughters pink helmet to my nephew as daughter has outgrown it and fits him perfectly. The thought being just pick up a cover. We have yet to find a cheap one (Decathlon did have a cheap one but completely out of stock), and it is cheaper for us to buy a new helmet than get a cover!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy