Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Options for glasses wearer

Poster: A snowHead
It's due to my astigmatism that I am now using scleral contact lenses - they're like the hard RGP lens but bigger... which makes them much more comfortable and very little time to get used to as opposed to the small hard rgp lenses, and with sclerals there is no issue of lens rotation etc which can cause problems with toric soft lenses for correctong astigmatism. (And sclerals due to their hard nature can correct for both internal (lens) astigmatism as well as external (eye ball shape) astigmatism while also offering the better vision of hard lenses).

Jeraff, not sure which optician simply stated that contacts won't work... it may be more honest to admit that the contact lenses THEY dispense won't do the job... but it may be worth finding a better optometrist - if they deal with and fit scleral lenses then they would almost certainly also have the full range of toric soft lenses as an option to advise you.

here's some info:-
http://blanchardlab.com/blanchard-u/articles/scleral-lens-benefits-for-patients-you-see-every-day/

For the presbyopia, there are two main options (in soft or scleral lenses) which is
1. Monovision - one eye (usually your non-dominant one) is over-corrected to be short sighted to approx -0.5 dioptre. After a week or two your brain can sort out and use whichever works best for distance and for reading.

2. 'Multifocal' type.... there are various designs to allow both eyes to present to the brain a range of correction... which it then sorts out so to speak.

both options take a bit of time to get used to - the monovision type can be said to maybe offer worse depth perception and possible issues with medium distance vision (as your eyes are one for near and one for distance), the varifocal type might also compromise the best possible distance vision as both lenses will be offering a blended type of correction.

I'm using a monovision setup, but maybe later I may take the plunge and try out the multifocal type to see which really suits me best...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I bought some frameless glass to my prescription from specsbypost, took arms off and clipped off the nose pads, then stuck them in my goggles with some blue tack... £25 .. wish i had done it years ago...friend just bought helmet with visor .. that was good
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheap but very good solution is to get your favourite wrap round ski glasses then order a super cheap pair of lenses from specs-by-post etc.

Unscrew lenses out of their frame and using some 'glue dots' stick the lenses into the sun glasses. 4 dots around the edges seems to work.

I am short and longsighted so use bifocal lenses.

For some reason I have only found one pair of cat 4 wrap rounds by smith that give me the best vision.

I now have a couple pairs if lenses in for different sun glasses.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have astigmatism, and the disposable lenses I use (only for skiing, glasses the rest of the time) are slightly weighted so that they always align correctly to the astigmatism. What will they think of next...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[quote="admin"]
Quote:

Goggles fit with helmets better and sunnies often look a bit weird.

I thought you'd know better than to kick off this argument again! Toofy Grin

Nowt weird about sunnies at all...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
On the contacts. I struggle with any of the AcuVue range and other top-brands. Used to wear them fine, but developed dry eye and now for me the bog standard Boots own brand work better. Trying different brands can make a difference. I carry spare contacts and regular sunglasses for lunchtimes. Good trick if you can find a good lab near you, buy the frames in TK Maxx and have your lenses popped in. Specsavers and Boots charge you a fee for the pleasure + lens.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kezzy19661 wrote:
Cheap but very good solution is to get your favourite wrap round ski glasses then order a super cheap pair of lenses from specs-by-post etc.

Unscrew lenses out of their frame and using some 'glue dots' stick the lenses into the sun glasses. 4 dots around the edges seems to work.

I am short and longsighted so use bifocal lenses.

For some reason I have only found one pair of cat 4 wrap rounds by smith that give me the best vision.

I now have a couple pairs if lenses in for different sun glasses.

Lenses used to be supplied as large round things which had to be cut to fit the spectacle frame.

Does this company supply them already cut to the shape of the frame?

Also how do they deal with the P measurement?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nearly all retail spectacles are still made from 75mm diameter blanks which come out of a lens catalogue.

Opticians are getting hit hard by mail order outfits so they are making bifocals harder to get and are moving to varifocals which guarantee them a couple of hundred quid.

A very good solution is distance lenses with these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075JKCB1P?tag=amz07b-21
stuck at the bottom. Not perfect and not really good enough for reading a book for hours, but fine for action where you want to check your phone etc. Avoid the 3M fresnel lens version; it is really quite bad.

And distance lenses are easy. Just pick a nice sunglass frame and use an online optician to do the long prescription lenses.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wear glasses when skiing, and always wear helmet, although good skier, so I opted for the helmet with visor from CEBE, great bit of kit. comes with interchangeable lense and carry case, easy to lower/ higher lense. don't be cheap withthis option as cheap may have wind problems. I
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wear glasses when skiing, and always wear helmet, although good skier, so I opted for the helmet with visor from CEBE, great bit of kit. comes with interchangeable lense and carry case, easy to lower/ higher lense. don't be cheap withthis option as cheap may have wind problems. I
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jeraff wrote:
A little bump here rather than create a new thread.

I'm at the point where I can see OK for general skiing but struggle to read details of piste markers and can't read maps without my glasses. I've been assessed by my optician that contacts are not suitable due to a slight astigmatism.

So, specifically regarding prescription sunglasses or glasses under goggles, if the frames are metal and the lenses are glass, would that be unsafe if you take tumble?

Glasses under a Visor Helmet is way better than under goggles. No steaming issues and a wider field of vision.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I feel your pain it’s such a problem I’ve got prescription inserts for my goggles and take glasses to use when stopping for lunch the biggest hassle is stuffing the glasses case in your jacket ! Michellan man / woman !!
Some one Needs to invent an accessory for us to carry our glasses easily
I agree a small back pack but so many resorts now don’t allow on lift and too much fluffing about to take on and off
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For skiing I wear Zeiss shooting glasses with clear lenses, which I already have for clay pigeon shooting. If they're designed to protect against a shotgun at 15 yards then they're going to protect me against most dangers I'm likely to encounter when skiing. They're larger than my normal glasses but still fit under my Scott OTG goggles very well indeed. I value my eyes.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Glasses under a Visor Helmet is way better than under goggles. No steaming issues and a wider field of vision.

Yes, although even better is glasses without a visor in front of them. I've found that as soon as the visor gets any dirt on it, it is hard to see through it, because it is a lot further from the eyes than spectacles or goggles.

Then you need glasses which are a good fit e.g. the Julbo "mountain poser" style, otherwise the cold air will make your eyes water.

I am not an advanced skier but my view is that if the conditions are so bad one needs the visor down (snow falling) then it is not worth skiing, and is difficult anyway due to poor visibility ahead.
snow report
I've never had any problems wearing spectacles under goggles, although you have to choose your goggles with a bit of care, obviously. My only issue has been with photochromic glass. This is fine most of the time, but if the light gets very flat, or it's the end of the day and you're skiing from sun into very dark shade, then I'd rather have standard clear lenses: the photochromics take far too long to adjust.
latest report
Just a bump to say there are a good range of Cairn visor helmets back on Sport Pursuit. I have one of their photochromic ones and it's excellent.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy