Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Options for glasses wearer

Poster: A snowHead
When I last went skiing I was able to see well enough not to need to wear glasses. We’re off on our first family skiing holiday at Easter and I’m looking at eye wear options for me. I really struggle with contact lenses and haven’t found any comfortable to wear so I’m weighing up the options available to me. I think I’d like to avoid wearing goggles over my glasses as should anything happen I don’t have a spare pair of glasses which would be problematic.

I’m leaning towards a pair of standard goggles with prescription inserts, but is it realistic to ski all the time just wearing goggles as opposed to sunglasses when the weather doesn’t warrant goggles? What have others done when stopping for lunch etc. in terms of eyewear if they’ve only got goggles?

I’ve been lusting over a pair of prescription oakley sunglasses too, but my budget doesn’t quite stretch that far! So any recommendations for prescription sunglasses rated for snow would also be greatly received too.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would say prescription glasses are the only acceptable alternative to contacts for me ( I carry some as a backup) but they obviously won't help much in a storm or super-powder. Which contacts have you tried out of interest?

Inserts are not fun, I tried some skiing when I got some for racing downhill (MTB) and ended up with them constantly half foggy and slight tunnel vision from the limited fov. Some people seem to be ok with them, maybe it's a phisiological thing, but for me no.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to Snowheads

If you wear a helmet, goggles (with prescription inserts) can work really well, for all weathers....either Photochromic, or Oakley Prizm.

There is also a possible option of a Helmet with a visor.....where you can wear glasses.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 2-01-19 9:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Really struggled with otg goggles and got to stage i need my glasses. Finally caved last week in Finland and bought helmet with visor. Used it for 2 days and it was great although the lenses silicone into their own come spring skiing with some sunlight. Was great to have full vision again!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I found prescription inserts okay and still carry as backup, but these days use contacts. Accuvue Oaysis are the first I've found to be comfortable enough for me.
For inserts try prescriptioninserts.com (part of spex4less) - but the real problem is reading the lunch menu then, as I didn't find it convenient to carry prescription sunnies and regular specs for lunch.
Over the glasses goggles can work, but tend to fog depending on the goggles.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you all, in terms of contacts I’ve tried spec savers own brand dailies, focus dailies and acuview daily ones, I don’t think they were oaysis ones though so I will look into them.

Thank you for the recommendation for prescriptioninserts.com, I had been looking at rxsport.com so I’ll take a look at the other one.

I do have prescription sunglasss, but they’re just ones from specsavers so I’m not sure whether they would deal with all the glare from the snow. I’m also nervous about carrying a sunglasses case as the last time we skied my husband fractured a rib when he fell landing on the camera he had in his coat pocket (it was just a small digital camera, he wasn’t carrying a DSLR or anything Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The acuvue ones are good, the oaysis ones are better when going from humid to dry or cold to warm etc, they don't feel like someone's sucked all the moisture out of your eye sockets. Not perfect though, always carry some lubricant just in case (drops!).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FWIW I found specsavers useless, they tried me on two different lenses and when neither worked for me it was 'you can only try 2, we can't help you any more'. So I went to an independent optician and paid them properly for their time - money well spent.
I looked at rx sports before and thought they were a lot more expensive than prescriptioninserts.com. I had some issues with my inserts initially and prescriptioninserts were very quick and helpful to sort it out - so much so that I now buy my glasses from their other brand (despite their slick website they're a small family firm and it shows - in a good way)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would recommend a helmet with visor, then just wear your normal glasses while skiing. Works for me.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am short and long sighted. I had a surprising success buying the cheapest and biggest bi-focal lenses from one of the on-line glasses supplier (specs by post ?). Think I paid £15.

I then stuck them to into my favourite wrap around ski glasses with glue dots around the edge of the lense.

So can now read the paper piste maps and read distance piste markers !

Alternatively, I use one contact lenses so again I can see near and long.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1 for inserts. Carry prescription glasses for stopping.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
but is it realistic to ski all the time just wearing goggles as opposed to sunglasses when the weather doesn’t warrant goggles?
With the prevalence of helmets these days, sunnies on the slopes are becoming more of a rarity.
Goggles fit with helmets better and sunnies often look a bit weird.

I got my son 2 pairs of OTG goggles to choose from - he picked one pair and I sold the other pair to Hurtle: they're both chuffed with the outcome (fortunately.)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You could look into Lasik (also check out/google 'Relex Smile' ), but also see a decent Optometrist and not a cheapo chain like Specsavers for professional advice about contact lenses.

Soft lenses can be an issue if prone to dry eye (if so, then try sodium hyaluronate based eye drops - most are about 0.18% but if you're in the UK then you can get Clinitas Soothe (higher concentration) easily enough which may be enough to make disposable soft lenses ok again... (NOTE use preservative free eye drops, usually sold in packs of small plastic ampoules, do NOT use the bottles of preservative based ones for regular use especially with contacts... the common preservatives that have been used is 'BAC' which has been found to be harmful to the eye https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02533154 )

Or you could consider scleral contact lenses - they're a 'hard' RGP lens, but much bigger than the small corneal ones. The larger size makes them a little more faff to insert and remove BUT they are comfortable (the large size means the edges are already under your eyelids so as comfortable as soft lenses), better vision than soft lenses and better for dry eye sufferers. They are or have been more prescribed to those with damaged corneas or awkward cornea shapes as the lens doesn't touch the cornea. There's a gap which stays filled with sterile saline which helps any recovery, and as the sclera (the whites of your eyes) is less sensitive than the cornea this also makes them more comfortable than those small rgp lenses.

(i'm saying this as someone who first tried the corneal RGP lenses 25+ years ago as my sisters used them happily enough... but could never get accustomed to them... so went to soft lenses, then PRK laser correction... and now Scleral lenses in a monovision setup to deal with the presbyopia (which is NOT the same as long sight by the way).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I need glasses to see clearly at distance. Not dangerously blind without them but things get a bit blurry. I usually wear them for driving, going to cinema or watching events/matches etc.

I tried contacts. Not just for skiing but everyday use. Hate them. Didn’t work for me.

Tried OTG goggles but wearing glasses underneath wasn’t comfy and fogged up a lot.

Got some prescription inserts from spex4less and stuck them in a pair of Oakley Flight Decks with a prizm lens and wow....it was transformed. I love the inserts.
You obviously get a more limited “focused” fov but if your vision is good enough so that you can still make stuff out in your peripheral vision then you’ll be fine.
I think a big part of if inserts work is if you have decent goggles/lens to go with them.
I first ran mine in a cheap pair of Cebe goggles and got some (albeit manageable) fogging, usually standing still after a run. But I’ve yet to experience any fogging in my Oakleys with them at all.

I think the best thing anyone can do is to treat themselves to goggles with a decent lens. You will notice the difference. Especially on the low vision/flat light days when you need the contrast.

As for sunglasses well I use my absolutely bog standard prescription Superdry glasses I got from SpecSavers. I use them for driving/general summer use in UK then to ski in when we go.
It really depends on your tolerances. I can ski quite happily at speed on cold days in my sunnies and be fine. The OHs eyes water very badly at the mearest hint of a cool breeze so she will swap to goggles much sooner than me.
They work fine for sunny days and deal with the glare well.
I usually swap over to goggles if it becomes more overcast and I need the contrast from the prizm lenses rather than protection from glare. If it’s quite changeable then I may just lift the goggles up onto my helmet and pop the sunnies back on when the sun comes out again.

As for carrying goggles/glasses. I ski with a very small rucksack. The type you’d use for walking which hold a bladder but with the bladder removed. Means I have just enough room for me glasses case or goggles (as well as some glove liners, a thin fleece and a drink) but the bag is small enough to really not notice. I hate skiing with loads of stuff in my pockets but have fallen plenty of times on my hip flask (which does live in the pocket) and been fine. So luck of the draw with that really.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I use soft contact lenses daily for everyday use in the UK. For skiing I use prescription sunglasses bought from my local optician (he skis) and I carry the contact lenses with me and also carry standard (not prescription) sunglasses in case I need them with the contact lenses.
Most days I ski with just the prescription sunglasses and have no problem
snow report
WASHOUT wrote:
+1 for inserts. Carry prescription glasses for stopping.

Me to - prescription varifocal inserts in my Oakley Airbrakes with a selection of lenses for different conditions plus specs in rucksack
ski holidays
I used to have issues with contact lenses. I only wear them for sport, so have daily disposables. I used to use Focus Dailies, which I could leave in for about 8 hours and that was generally enough. I switched to Total.1 when they launched and found them to be a big improvement. I believe they are a very thin silicone lens, which is apparently better if you have problems with dryness.

My dad, who had very bad eyesight (-8...) wore contact lenses most of the time. His glasses were varifocals, but his contacts were opposites – one eye for distance and one for reading. He said it was strange at first, but your brain sorts everything out and then it was fine. Just an idea for those contact wearers struggling with the menu!

I wear goggles in all weather. I carry sunglasses (non-prescription) for lunch time but wouldn't ski in them. Different goggle lenses are available if you are having difficulty in bright or low light.
snow report
I use my normal photo chromatic varifocal glasses for skiing. I can wear my goggles over them when conditions require.
latest report
I’ve tried everything, the only thing that works for me is the helmet with visor, it has small airflow that stops steam.
I tried a few before I found one that the visor never hit my glasses
snow report
Goggles over glasses work for some people, but you do really need dedicated OTG goggles in my experience. If you're worried about them getting damaged there are a few online retailers who will do stupidly cheap frame+lens packages, you just need to give them your current prescription. Useful as a back-up in daily life anyway.

I ski with prescription inserts these days and they work better than anything else I've tried/can use. The inserts sit further away from your face than glasses which seems to make a lot of difference on the fogging front. You do find yourself looking AT the inserts when you first put them on, but as soon as you start doing other stuff your focus is in the distance and you don't see them. Again when you first try put them on you think you've lost a lot of periferal focus but as soon as you start using them you realise how little of the area covered by your glasses you actually use as you naturally move your head to look far off of straight ahead (and any movement in your periferal vision will naturally make you turn your head and look that way).

The only down side is you will start to fog if you sit still for too long/put them on top your head/wear them indoors so, depending how bad your vision is, a pair of glasses/and sunglasses in your backpack/pocket are necessary for lunch/coffee stops.
snow report
Jonny996 wrote:
I’ve tried everything, the only thing that works for me is the helmet with visor, it has small airflow that stops steam.

What helmet did you go with in the end? I've tried a few pairs of OTG goggles and didn't like them.
I need a helmet as well so thought I might look at the helmets with visors, I tried a couple in Declathlon and they seem to miss my glasses but didn't feel to have great quality.

Now looking on line there is so many to choose from so any personal recommendations would be a good starting point
ski holidays
You can buy anti fog/mist spray from any good motorcycle outlet. Just spray on the inside of your goggles, allow to dry and buff with a soft cloth. Repeat - job done. Only real problem is on old lenses with the gel highlighting any scraches.
Works for me but dosen't mean it'll work for others. You can but try.
snow report
I use a combination of Bolle OTG goggles with prescription glasses or some RockBros cycling sunglasses with interchangeable photochromic and polaroid lenses, they come with a frame for prescription inserts with Specsavers fitting the lenses. Sunglasses £15 from ebay lenses about £30 from Specsavers.
snow conditions
ADESki wrote:
You can buy anti fog/mist spray from any good motorcycle outlet. Just spray on the inside of your goggles, allow to dry and buff with a soft cloth. Repeat - job done. Only real problem is on old lenses with the gel highlighting any scraches.

Do NOT buff the inside of your goggles. This could remove the internal coating or smear it around so you can’t see through them!
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
ADESki wrote:

Do NOT buff the inside of your goggles. This could remove the internal coating or smear it around so you can’t see through them!

Is this a serious point or some urban myth

Is there seriously a coating that will come off? I find that hard to believe, but maybe people do sell such things ?
latest report
@sev112, yeah, usually the anti-fog coating...
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
ADESki wrote:

Depends on the product your applying. As per directions on the bottle I have, coupled with multiple applications on various types of goggles or visors over the years, a gentle buffing is required.
ski holidays
Timc wrote:
I use a combination of Bolle OTG goggles with prescription glasses or some RockBros cycling sunglasses with interchangeable photochromic and polaroid lenses, they come with a frame for prescription inserts with Specsavers fitting the lenses. Sunglasses £15 from ebay lenses about £30 from Specsavers.

Thank you for that tip, they look like a really affordable option.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have needed vision correction to ski all my life.

The best solution is contact lenses. Todays ultra thin disposables are excellent even for those who find contacts difficult to tolerate. They are the only workable option if skiing in heavy wet snow when any glasses goggles combination will fog up.

So I always carry some in case but ski 95+ % of the time in prescription varifocal sunglasses with leather side pieces which reduce tearing at speed. I have two pairs one with a yellow tint for flat light and the others have a dark tint. Both have good UV ratings.

Also in the quiver is a pair of OIG goggles and a little pot of Cat Crap which is an anti mist agent which helps. If wearing goggles resist the temptation to put them up on your brow this speeds misting. Keep them on and over the glasses. If they mist up try lifting the bottom just a little on the lift to clear them.

Don't cheap out on your eye protection, remember they are not doing eye transplants yet.
ski holidays
venno wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:

What helmet did you go with in the end? I've tried a few pairs of OTG goggles and didn't like them.
I need a helmet as well so thought I might look at the helmets with visors, I tried a couple in Declathlon and they seem to miss my glasses but didn't feel to have great quality.

Now looking on line there is so many to choose from so any personal recommendations would be a good starting point

I got a Cairn helmet off sport pursuit for £90 ish. The one with the photochromic visor has sold out, but there are still some with dual swappable visors. I went photochromic, otherwise you have to either make a Choice for the whole day, or lug a spare visor around with you.
ski holidays
A little bump here rather than create a new thread.

I'm at the point where I can see OK for general skiing but struggle to read details of piste markers and can't read maps without my glasses. I've been assessed by my optician that contacts are not suitable due to a slight astigmatism.

So, specifically regarding prescription sunglasses or glasses under goggles, if the frames are metal and the lenses are glass, would that be unsafe if you take tumble?
latest report
I wear glasses under my goggles for many years ..Never had any issues apart from glasses steaming up occasionally
ski holidays
I find that the best solution is clear prescription glasses under goggles, and prescription sunglasses for warmer weather. Photochromic glasses under goggles can make things too dark, especially if you move from sunshine to shadow. Standard goggles work fine for me, but it's been a bit hit-and-miss in terms of how well the glasses clear the goggles.
ski holidays
@Jeraff, personally I've been wearing glasses under goggles for 20 years now and taken many a tumble without problems. Polycarbonate lenses are readily available for glasses if you want.

If you want to go OTG, then for frames I suggest you go as light as possible with quite small lenses which is a bit annoying as there seems to be a trend to have quite wide lenses at the moment. And go for a helmet goggle combination which gives good airflow as its the key to solving misting up. Since I switched to Oakley Canopy goggles I've hardly had any misting up issues.
latest report
Lenses are rarely glass nowadays. The time you get glass is when you have a very strong prescription say 5 diopters or more; then glass produces thinner and lighter lenses because of its higher refractive index.

Steaming up is a problem for almost everybody who wears prescription glasses.
ski holidays
@Jeraff, I also have astigmatism and have Acuvue Moist astigmatism contact lenses which I've always got on really well with so it might be worth double checking about contact lenses!
I tried skiing with glasses under goggles as a kid but it never worked brilliantly - I've found contacts much better. I only ever wear them for sport and am a glasses wearer in my everyday life.
ski holidays
Thanks all, reassuring. I'll probably start with normal glasses under googles with helmet.

@morgenmuffel, that's interesting, I was disappointed when optician said contacts wouldn't work. I wanted to try contacts for every day as I'm not getting on very well with new (6 months) vari-focals. They work well for everything directly in front of me and distances but for near and mid distance I have to move my head to get things into the focus zone.
ski holidays
@Jeraff, Try another optician. I have astigmatism and wear normal contact lenses that don't correct for it. My vision isn't as good as with my glasses, but it's adequate for sports. There are also contacts that can correct for astigmatism as @morgenmuffel mentions, but you may be able to get away without. Vari-focal requirements complicate things slightly, but my dad got around this by wearing a near and far correcting lens in each eye and your brain sorts it out.

So there may be a few contact lens variations you can try. They may or may not work for you, but if your optician isn't giving you the options you might want a second opinion.
snow report
I too have to wear glasses. I ski with prescription sunglasses that have little leather side pieces which work to reduce tearing at speed. No need to buy Bolles but do try different tints.

They work in light snow but in heavy snow I revert to standard glasses and OTG goggles. The trick with the goggles is to leave them on over the glasses at all times and never but them up on your brow on the lift. If they fog try lifting the bottom a little and get some airflow.

I also use a product called Cat Crap which reduces fogging when applied to glasses.

In heavy soggy wet snow I fit my emergency soft contacts as everything else fogs up.
snow conditions
Scarlet wrote:
@Jeraff, Try another optician. I have astigmatism and wear normal contact lenses that don't correct for it. My vision isn't as good as with my glasses, but it's adequate for sports. There are also contacts that can correct for astigmatism as @morgenmuffel mentions, but you may be able to get away without.

So there may be a few contact lens variations you can try. They may or may not work for you, but if your optician isn't giving you the options you might want a second opinion.

Exactly this - I have astigmatism and wear normal contacts for skiing (but guess that it must depend upon how acute your astigmatism is).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy