Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for three All Mountain Skis to try.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Looking to add to my ski quiver. Currently have a Nordica Doberman and wanted peoples opinions on maybe three AM skis to try.

Usual stats.

Competent to Advanced intermediate
Skiing 3-5 weeks a year.
Mainly ski a mixture of on and off piste(translated as short cuts between runs and untracked snow on the side of the piste)
Needs to be able to Ski crud well given how many beers in consume the night before and always miss the first lift Skullie
Budget isn’t a concern but I’ll need to sneak them indoors labelled as my old skis Very Happy

Couple of times last year I was stuck whilst friends went through the fresher stuff.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Black Crows Camox or Navis.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scott Slight (whatever the ninety something is, think it’s a 93)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We tried 6 or 7 96-100 mm skis pre season 2 years ago and really, none of them were bad - several Volkls, one Blizzard, an Elan - while we both ended up with slight preferences towards one model/length, if each one had been the only ski we could buy, we'd have been happy enough.

Throw in Kastle, Black Crows, Whitedot and you have the spectrum of most preferred AM brands, commonly available.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some info in this thread might help
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3306804&highlight=navigator#3306804
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Volkl Mantra M5 looks like a good candidate for considering.

Nice quality construction, don't look too flashy for the "have to look like existing ski " measurement.

Seem to have gone back toward their original Mantra focus which users thought as best ski of that range.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also Kastle FX95HP as a ski to cover so many conditions.

Highly rated by others on here.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DanFuller, If you want it to ski crud then (as a massive generalisation) if you're buying from an indy brand buy from a euro brand not US. I just say that as Euro Indies build for Euro conditions, US Indies build for US conditions (less crud).

I'ld speak to Spyderjon from the Piste Office as I reckon he can access pretty much any of the skis people have referenced here or in the other thread and will be able to give you an unbiased assessment of cost versus benefits.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ski3, I haven't tried the Mantra myself, although I will as soon as it snows. It seems to be dividing opinion...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nordica Enforcer
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
midgetbiker wrote:
@DanFuller, If you want it to ski crud then (as a massive generalisation) if you're buying from an indy brand buy from a euro brand not US. I just say that as Euro Indies build for Euro conditions, US Indies build for US conditions (less crud).

I'ld speak to Spyderjon from the Piste Office as I reckon he can access pretty much any of the skis people have referenced here or in the other thread and will be able to give you an unbiased assessment of cost versus benefits.

I’ve always wanted a set Black Crows so for people to recommend makes me even more game but I appreciate the direction and will reach out to him.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have some Volkl Kendo's - absolutely love them. They are great on piste but cope absolutely fine when I want to venture off piste a little ( basically next to the slope ). I do pretty much all my skiing on piste though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ski3 wrote:
Also Kastle FX95HP as a ski to cover so many conditions.

Highly rated by others on here.

One more vote for them...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DanFuller, I have the Black Crows Orbs (91mm under foot, I think), and I find them really competent both on and off piste.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you’ve got the budget the DPS 112 Alchemist is a game changing ski for getting into off piste
ski holidays
My votes would be Nordica Enforcer, Black Crow Navis and the new Atomic Bent Chetler 100.

BTY, I have some SL Dobermanns too, cracking piste ski Smile
ski holidays
I was looking for much the same sort of ski - something that could take me off piste but also do some lazy carves on piste to get me there (and handle cut-up pistes better than my slalom skis), so about 98mm under foot. Having hired a few different pairs in resorts to test then done the Oktobertest I came down to Rossignol Sky 7HDs or Dynastar Legend X96s.
ski holidays
@Scarpa, The Enforcer 100 was the one ski I wanted to try but couldn't find (Ivan had the 93, not the 100).
latest report
@under a new name, I was skiing on my almost decade old 98mm Enforcers yesterday. They are still going strong.
ski holidays
Having found previous wider skis disappointing, my now obsolete Head Venturi 95s were a game changer, still seriously good carvers and much more but not enough float off piste, I quite fancy trying the Enforcer 110s.
latest report
@under a new name, I'd be interested to see what you make of the new Mantras.

Skied on earlier type but never tried the full rockered? one. It seems that sometimes manufacturers luck into something and don't know why they did it themselves, from which comes an interesting ski. Time will tell with this one, they look really nicely manufactured.

Trying to talk some friends into 90s, mm that is, but huge reluctance to try anything they think of as a big ski. I like them with camber underfoot and restricted rocker, I just like the combination of piste grip of central portion along with rockered ease in soft snow.
snow report
It depends how much off-piste you do. If it's just short-cuts, side of the piste and crud, with most being on piste or semi-pisted, I'd be going for (or at least testing) narrower all-mountain skis than most mentioned so far. Especially if you want to carve when on piste. Something like Head Titans, Rossignol Experience range, or Volkl RTMs in the 80s. I've found these surprisingly good on-piste while also much less problematic if I pop off the side than the piste skis I normally go for. I also liked Scott's The Ski when I hired it a few years ago, especially in the deeper snow, and it got quite a few rave reviews as an all mountain ski. I know many rave about the Kastle range, though it might be worth considering the FX85HP if you're wanting this style of all-mountain ski as well as the 95. All are wider, with better float and more designed to balance off-piste as well than your Doberman's, while still being reasonable carving skis on piste.

Because of the larger head and tail I found the Head Supershape series to float better for me in deeper snow than other skis with similar waists (with the exception of the i.speed which I didn't get on with), while still being great piste skis. Even the widest (Titans) are more piste-oriented all-mountain skis so still won't be as good off-piste as the 90-something waisted skis mentioned here, but I found them a big improvement in soft snow than piste skis. They're the only ones I've tried that I felt were significantly above the curve on the on-piste/off-piste trade-off, though towards the piste end of that curve.

If you're wanting to do some 'proper' off-piste more, skiing deeper snow, or are spending most of your time doing short cuts and sides of pistes such that you don't really care much about piste performance then, skis with a 90-something waist are probably better for you. I've not skied many of these so will leave recommendations to those with more experience, and there are plenty here for these already. All I'd add is that I've never found a 90-something waist ski I've liked much on piste, and notice a real difference in piste performance between the ones I've tried of these and the slightly thinner all-mountain ones I've mentioned above, especially when carving. This may be my style or technique, and I know some have found skis that stand out for them as being surprisingly good on piste with the size to float off-piste well, but I've always found there's a strong trade-off here. It's about finding the right balance for what you ski most of the time, so it may be worth testing skis of different waist widths to see the style you want before narrowing in on the specific set you might want.
snow conditions
I have the Black Crows Camox (97mm) and they are a superbly versatile and stable ski that cuts through chop and rails GS turns on and off-piste while being pretty manoeuvrable in the bumps. Very happy with them as a single ski solution for anything a European holiday can throw at it. I had them in powder, trees, narrow couloirs, bumps and early morning icy hardpack and end of day March wetness and nothing phased them. I had the pleasure of skiing with an ex-Olympian guide who said "You carve very well" - it was all the skis! A few more words about the Camox, with lots of photos, here : https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=131902

Saying that the Enforcer gets great reviews and would sit nicely in the rack with the Dobermann. Highly rated ski that I'd love to have a go on alongside the Manta and my Camox.
snow report
gravity-slave wrote:
I have the Black Crows Camox (97mm) and they are a superbly versatile and stable ski that cuts through chop and rails GS turns on and off-piste while being pretty manoeuvrable in the bumps. Very happy with them as a single ski solution for anything a European holiday can throw at it. I had them in powder, trees, narrow couloirs, bumps and early morning icy hardpack and end of day March wetness and nothing phased them. I had the pleasure of skiing with an ex-Olympian guide who said "You carve very well" - it was all the skis! A few more words about the Camox, with lots of photos, here : https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=131902

Saying that the Enforcer gets great reviews and would sit nicely in the rack with the Dobermann. Highly rated ski that I'd love to have a go on alongside the Manta and my Camox.

Love your review and experiences documented there
ski holidays
@ski3, I’ll be interested as well. The Mrs has rockered ones which are fine... but I can feel the rocker and neither like nor need it. I can feather an edge quite happily, thank you.

Chum who owns shop in Morzine loved them. Chum who owns shop in Cham was disappointed. Bizarrely, I have skied with neither of them so can’t comment as to why.

I preferred my Bonafides. Although, they do only seem to do one turn! Hahahah. That or straight lines. Hahahahah. Twisted Evil
latest report
Just bought 2019 Elan Ripstick 96 181cm which did really well in the Austria ski test this April as an all mountain ski. Quite light but supposed to deal with crud and chopped up stuff well.
Will find out on Sunday!!
http://www.skiessentials.com/2019-ski-test?skis=2019-elan-ripstick-96-skis
ski holidays
Add the Head Kore 93 or 99 to your list as well...
snow conditions
mishmash wrote:
Add the Head Kore 93 or 99 to your list as well...

I’m leaning towards these now
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Head Titans
ski holidays
Anyone tried the Salomon QST 99?
snow conditions
I thought the QST were pretty good but only had them for 1 hour.
latest report
Zermattandchips wrote:
I thought the QST were pretty good but only had them for 1 hour.

thanks, what length did you try them in? I have seen a pair for a good price but am thinking of renting this year to see what else is available as i have not bought skis in a few years.
ski holidays
188 - so a little longer than usual for me, but the right length.
snow conditions
I would advise to go for a 92mm-100mn All Mountain ski if you already have a performance oriented piste ski:

New (or old) Mantras
Rossignol Experience 94
Black Crows Camox
Head Kore 93
Stockli Stormrider 95

You may also choose a if you want a more versatile ski, and do want to take the Dobermann (which can be very stiff depending on the version) on soft snows, as you do not seem to do a lot of off-piste.

VOLKL Kendo would then be an ideal choice.
snow conditions
I would advise to go for a 92mm-100mn All Mountain ski if you already have a performance oriented piste ski:

New (or old) Mantras
Rossignol Experience 94
Black Crows Camox
Head Kore 93
Stockli Stormrider 95

You may also choose a if you want a more versatile ski, and do want to take the Dobermann (which can be very stiff depending on the version) on soft snows, as you do not seem to do a lot of off-piste.

VOLKL Kendo would then be an ideal choice.
ski holidays
Whitedot R98 trad
ski holidays
After trying several pairs at the ski test I went for Blizzard Bonafides, have now been skiing them since the start of the season and I think they are brilliant. When we had some they handled crud with ease, but for the last couple of weeks they have performed amazingly well on hardpack and ice. If the piste is big and empty enough they also carve brilliantly (better than I ever believed a ski that fat could). They are now my go to ski for everything except off piste powder days where I go fatter and more rockered.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy