Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WALES 2018/19: SNOW, IT'S NOT JUST FOR (A CHILD'S) CHRISTMAS IN WALES

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Mouse555 wrote:
That 2nd run was terrifying Very Happy was expecting to slow down as it levelled out but wasn't happening and thought if I made a turn at that speed I'd be over the side!

I have a bit of a phobia for those narrow sections Very Happy

Was a little easier when you sorted your boots out Wink
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As the season is probably just about over (thought that 2 weeks ago), I thought i'd have a look at the statistics.. Personally i've had lots of fun, but it doesn't look like it's been a good season.. which I guess is encouraging snowHead

That's probably me being slightly naive suggesting you'll definitely get more 'snow days' if average temperatures are lower.. but there's surely at least a weak correlation.. even in a place where the weather changes so quickly from one day to the next wink

I suspect the figures are slightly skewed by some incredibly warm periods.. whereas those 'warm' periods would normally be 'mild' and snowless anyway.. so the number of 'snow days' isn't really affected much. The 1961-1990 and 1981-2010 maps are pretty interesting as well. Shows much more regular, extensive snowcover across the Cambrian mountains 50 years ago, whereas now it's just the highest peaks seeing somewhat regular snowcover.

Last winter that was noticeably colder than average - 2010-11. All the others have been average or above!

Temperatures averages for Wales 2018-19

November - 0.7C above average
December - 2.5C above average
January - 0.2C above average
February - 2.4C above average
March - 1.2C above average
April - 1C above average (CET to 10th)

I was doing a bit of research on this the other day and looks like there's quite a bit of history with Welsh skiing - North and South!

http://search.digido.org.uk/?id=llgc-id%3A1504979&query=*&query_type=full_text&page=723&img_id=2

I believe that's the old Storey Arms when it was a pub? I'm sure we've all heard stories of the infamous rope tow and the 200 skiiers hitting the slopes at weekends!

Thomas Shelby here on his Christmas holidays Laughing

It is a shame it's not as popular as it used to be. I think maybe the milder winters and the fact it's much more affordable to travel abroad in recent decades have made it become far more 'hardcore' than it needs to be. With it becoming less popular, i've noticed there's a massive misconception on how much snow you need to 'ski'. Ski down the slope next to the path and people will look at you, mouths open, cameras out like you're walking on water.. because they've been abroad and they assume you won't be able to move unless it looks like that Very Happy

But has it even become less popular? Have winters really become much less snowy? People tend to look into the past with rose tinted glasses. It's entirely possible someone had a few too many drinks at the inn or picked the wrong mushrooms and saw 200 skiers when there were only 2 Very Happy
latest report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
200 people owning their own equipment back in the day and then all assembling on the same day seems very unlikely to me.
ski holidays     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
While we wait for May snowfall, two vids with awesome views of our playground

John Smith

http://youtube.com/v/TrSN6SpNPk0

Alyn Wallace

http://youtube.com/v/HcC1y2_J7BQ
ski holidays     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nice!

I'm debating getting a drone.. even if it's just to ferry equipment about Very Happy
latest report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mouse555, A chance of some turns yet. I've had April Welsh skiing for the last 3 or 4 years Smile
latest report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
@Mouse555, A chance of some turns yet. I've had April Welsh skiing for the last 3 or 4 years Smile

The most consecutive days I've had this season were in April with 4 Very Happy

Apart from that, it's been 1-2 days here and there.. which somehow brings my total to 16 (2-3 weren't really skiable and are included more on a technicality Very Happy ) but I've definitely missed a couple.

Missed a good day in November where there was some hard, crisp snow above the saddle between Corn Du and Pen y Fan, and there's been a few days where I've not bothered going back because I know it won't be as good as the day before.

I think there may be a day left yet though!
snow conditions     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Everything crossed
snow conditions     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep it's a long time until November..

Anyone ever got any October turns? I managed to get my car stuck last October on a sleety/slushy mess on top of the B4329.. didn't have the skis with me though Very Happy
snow conditions     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy