Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2018/2019 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Ian_86 wrote:
The view tonight heading back into Les Carroz. Incredible

062-D7-E15-DCC4-48-E7-85-BD-D44-DDD70-D930
Fab photo. Can’t wait to see it for real.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Ian_86, That is a cracking photo.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just had a quick look at the webcams - looks beautiful out there today. Still got two months to go so save some snow for me please!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In Flaine this week. Snow is pretty good other than some of the tree lined lower runs heading down to Les Carroz, Morillon. We skied at low levels today but lots of marbles and very hard pistes. The runs in the Flaine bowl fantastic in the sun. Pistes reasonably quiet other than main 'motorway' runs like the tourmaline. Most runs are open. It's our first time here and we are enjoying the resort. Prices in the mountain restaurants are eye watering with the pound now almost at parity with the euro. It's painful to pay 10 euros for a bowl of soup no matter how tasty!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@bedrock barney, Haven't been for a few years, but try Bissac at the bottom of the Grand Van 8 man in Flaine, a shared Tartifilette was enough for two ( and a slice of cake maybe! ). It's self service and also have daily specials.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@bedrock barney, if you're prepared to go out into the wider Grand Massif the 'outdoor snack' area at L'Beu on the left almost at the bottom of Sairon run in Morillon is very good value.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bedrock barney wrote:
It's painful to pay 10 euros for a bowl of soup no matter how tasty!

I had the worst bowl of soup I've ever had in one of the piste "restaurants" in Flaine a couple of years ago... 8Euros for a bowl of unseasoned mush with a tang of dishwater.
By contrast, this year in Saalbach-Hinterglemm, a bowl of extremely tasty goulash soup with home-made bread was E6.50. With a half litre of weissbier being E4.50.
If it wasn't for 8M des Monts in Samoens, La Luge on the Dahu run (which is quite reasonably priced but book!) and the excellent skiing I wouldn't dream of going anywhere near again!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bedrock barney, thanks for the info. How is tourmaline holding up? Hoping to get my 3 nervous skiers over to Flaine this weekend, but if it is too icy they wont thank me and I'll be searching for pistes with a bit more grip.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Link was closed today, but yesterday it was skiing ok. A bit firm at the bottom but not what I would call icy. Worst patch of hard slideyness was the bottom pitch of Marmottes leading to the tunnel, but even that I wouldn't say was super nasty.

Currently gently snowing in Samoens (just started). Would appreciate any more food recommendations (both slope side and in town) since people flying out this weekend and my usual meal plan is pitch up somewhere scenic and have a picnic, but I suspect peoples will want to eat out.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@MoonfireSpam, if your able to picnic, my favourite spot is off the top section of Mephisto, drop down 200m or so and there are a few rock outcrops about 10m off piste to the left, you'll be facing the sun and Mont Blanc, it's just about as perfect as you can get IMO
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whilst the weather radar clearly shows that it's stopped snowing, it definitely hasn't in Les Carroz! Not snowing that heavily, but steady.

Vernant chair broke down yesterday and is still showing as closed today.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
App showing all links open as of 1130. Was spinning but not loading ~1000. Bit of a dusting overnight, still the odd splutter of snow.

@Cheesie168 Pistes bit softer today, suspect should be better over the weekend. With the extra dusting ongoing currently.

Thanks for the picnic spot, pitched up around Fred earlier in the week, was lovely in the sun!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@MoonfireSpam, Check out the Salles H'ors Sac, picnic rooms dotted around the Grand Massive, they can take a bit of finding but they are warm and dry and often have a fantastic atmosphere full of school trips, ski clubs etc. Flaine has one also Samoens Lez Carroz and Morillion. They are great to stop for a rest when the weather gets bad.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@seahoob, @MoonfireSpam - we have used the picnic room at the top of the lift in Les Carroz and found it great (was a few years ago) - leave the picnic bag there 1st thing and meet up there at lunchtime. This year we are going to Samoens at mid term - did not thing there was a picnic room on the Samoen side - is there? , would be good to use. We are a group of 4 adults and 6 kids so eating lunch in a mountain restairant will not only be really busy but also I suspect a tad expensive! Closer to the time I will be looking for tips on who to avoid the Mid Term Qs (maybe no Sad t possible). we olny have 2 doing lessons and not until the afternoon slot so might be able to get up the Grand Massif lift before the ski school hordes in the morning. In the meantime I just hope it keeps snowing over there !!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There's a picnic room on the Marmottes piste in Samoens, on the RHS just after the bend. Also one at the Morillon 1100 main lift area.
snow conditions
The quietest picnic room is to the right of the vernant car park lift base area, the chair that takes you up to vernant, there is a green run down to it which is just after the corbalanche chair, you can take portet to the right or a green to the left, go down the green and go around the base of the chair at the bottom near the car park. It is always very quiet.
snow report
MoonfireSpam wrote:
Link was closed today, but yesterday it was skiing ok. A bit firm at the bottom but not what I would call icy. Worst patch of hard slideyness was the bottom pitch of Marmottes leading to the tunnel, but even that I wouldn't say was super nasty.

Currently gently snowing in Samoens (just started). Would appreciate any more food recommendations (both slope side and in town) since people flying out this weekend and my usual meal plan is pitch up somewhere scenic and have a picnic, but I suspect peoples will want to eat out.

L’anfionne on Timalets piste in Les Carrot does fab panini and frites. Yum. Their hot chocolate is yum too. Reasonable prices. Small tho go off peak time if not good enough to sit outside and avoid smelly side if sitting outside. Lol. Chalet d’clair below tete de saix is also our go to lunch place which although may involve a bit of a wait for a table has amazing views if you get a window table and has always accommodated our family group of up to 12 never waited longer than half hour and great stoves for drying gloves warming up while waiting. Food excellent and quite reasonable. Most of massif reasonably priced for food/drinks it’s Flaine that’s expensive. Fav bar le bon coin in Morillon village for end of day beers. Staying in Vercland this year so will be trying the bar/restaurant there. Rugby Sat eve COYBIG.
snow conditions
Quote:

Staying in Vercland this year so will be trying the bar/restaurant there

The la reposette is in Vercland. Its my go to place now at the end of the day. A great selection of Tex Mex style food, and reasonably priced too.
ski holidays
stuartknight1 wrote:
Quote:

The la reposette is in Vercland. Its my go to place now at the end of the day. A great selection of Tex Mex style food, and reasonably priced too.

Sssshhhhhh don't tell everyone wink
ski holidays
@stuartknight1, @porkpiefox, You are both correct, best location I found in the GM.
snow report
porkpiefox wrote:
stuartknight1 wrote:
Quote:

Sssshhhhhh don't tell everyone wink

Looking forward to it so. New local.
latest report
Quote:

Fav bar le bon coin in Morillon village for end of day beers

Had some good sessions in there when the rugby is on!
ski holidays
Cheesie168 wrote:
@bedrock barney, thanks for the info. How is tourmaline holding up? Hoping to get my 3 nervous skiers over to Flaine this weekend, but if it is too icy they wont thank me and I'll be searching for pistes with a bit more grip.

Last day today. Lovely and sunny with a very light breeze. Maybe up to 10cm of snow fell the previous night/day which definitely helped the pistes although there are still a few stony patches here and there. With the Vernant chair shut, we stayed in Flaine for the rest of the week, although it was definitely running today.

The pistes were quiet yesterday but a different story today. Tourmaline was ridiculously busy this morning. A mixture a timid skiers/boarders, ski schools and crazy types bombing down in between everyone else. An accident waiting to happen! We skied it once and then headed over to the reds on the other side of the resort (Faust being our favourite). I wouldn't think Tourmaline is the best piste for nervous skiers. Mephisto is better but it was also very busy today.
latest report
In terms of food, we ate in the cafe at the top of the Grand Platieres telecabin today. Not bad at all. Croque Vegeterien with salad and chips for about 13 euros. Decent portion size and very freshly prepared. Coffee and pastries also very good.

Despite the above, Flaine gets the thumbs down for food provision. Worst resort ever for us, and we have skied France, Norway, Switzerland, Sweden, Italy (but not yet Austria!).
ski holidays
Anyone out at the mo? At the top of the Chariande Express, there's a black immediately left off the lift which has a warning about the difficulty. I'd love a pic of the sign! For family bragging rights. The bar is low!

CG
snow report
@Charliegolf, I'll try to take one next time we are up there. Which certainly won't be today, it's snowing with very poor vis in Les Carroz! Due to turn to rain for a while then back to snow later, but the forecast has been changing constantly.
snow conditions
Just given in for the day and returned to Samoens, no chance of any pics from greater than about 3m at the top of Chariande Express.

Lots of fresh powder down - you just couldn't see the drifts - so fingers crossed for yesterday's weather tomorrow.

Anyone able to tell me how tough Grand Cret is? Does chopping the top off by using Aouia avoid the steepest section? Want to ride that bubble lift but am wary of reds.

Tia
ski holidays
@numbfoot, haven't been down it for a long time and think there has been some reshaping. Can be slushy/icy at the bottom, so best done immediately after a good snowfall.

If you decide you don't want to do it then you can always just take the bubble down as well as up!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@numbfoot, Arguably it is better to use Grand Cret to chop offf the first pitch of Aouia. Certainly it is my preference because that first pitch is almost always a sheet of ice. Not a difficult red but quite long and very nice. Except yesterday that is when it was snow canon golf balls all the away down making it a bit of a bone shaker. Make sure you time it to reward yourself with a beer of choc chaud at the Reposette before getting into the piece of junk back to the top!
ski holidays
Anyone there at moment what are daytime temperatures like. Just wondering how many layers to pack.
snow report
@snowmam, it was VERY cold a few days ago (-12) but now back to much warmer (-4 up to +ve). But I think it's forecast to get colder again in a few days.

Beautiful fresh snow this morning, but as it was soft it got chopped up quite quickly, now snowing again In Les Carroz.
snow conditions
sj1608 wrote:
@snowmam, it was VERY cold a few days ago (-12) but now back to much warmer (-4 up to +ve). But I think it's forecast to get colder again in a few days.

Beautiful fresh snow this morning, but as it was soft it got chopped up quite quickly, now snowing again In Les Carroz.

Thank you. Yes getting cold here in Ireland too. And forecast for worse by the weekend. Hopefully not so cold in France or at least some sunshine with it if so.
latest report
The big issue at the moment is that the forecasts have been soooo inaccurate. Today was supposed to be cloudy, but the sun came out, yesterday it was supposed to rain all morning, but it snowed. Those two variances have been positive, but the localised effect seems to have been even more pronounced than usual.

If we believe the forecast, and you arrive at the weekend, then you should have great conditions.
ski holidays
A fantastic day on the hill today. Some lovely snow in Carroz, laps of the Gron chair in morning. Visibility not bad in Carroz but a bit flat further up for a while.
latest report
Thanks guys we arrive Friday hopefully ahead of the predicted travel chaos if snow arrives here.
latest report
Back at my desk now after a lovely long weekend. Friday was outstanding, if cold, a great day for my nervous skiers to get their ski legs back. Snow was very good indeed, nice and squeaky on Friday. Saturday getting more 'Shiny' but lovely on Sunday, if a bit windy!
snow report
Today started with a lot of fresh overnight snow.

Fantastic conditions across the hill in the morning except for the fact that visibility was challenging in places. Spent the morning using the Gron chair and kedeuze gondola. Veroce, Truffe, Zorta, Felire and Coccinelle and everything in between were all absolutely superb and loaded with fresh, dry, powdery snow.

The sun made an appearance later in the day and topped off a fantastic day and while its always nice to get some sunshine to see where you are going the snowy morning today was something special and will live long in the memory.

More snow forecast which should set things up nicely for the next few weeks.
snow report
It's been snowing heavily in Les Carroz all day, I'd guess at 50-60cm since this 8am this morning in town. We didn't ski, but friends who did said vis was very poor and that they simply skied between hostelries for coffee/wine! During the afternoon all the links closed, and by about 4pm pretty much all lifts and pistes throughout the GM were also closed.

We've just gone for a walk around LC and for the first time ever have seen the road up to the telecabine effectively closed by the ASVP. There are three ski buses and another coach just waiting in the Place d'Ambiance. And the ASVP man couldn't run fast enough to catch the skiers who had skied down into town. Happy

The ploughs seem to have given up in town this afternoon, I suspect they have their hands more than full keeping the main road clear. It should be fun tomorrow, as everyone who is departing and doesn't have a covered parking space appears to be digging their cars out and carefully reading the instructions on how to put on the snow chains they have just purchased......
snow conditions
@sj1608,
Wow! That’s gonna make for an interesting change over day!
Awesome to move to Snowcon 1!
snowHead snowHead
snow report
@sj1608, 'scuse my ignorance, but what is the ASVP? Is that the piste patrol?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy