Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2018/2019 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
As it is now past the start of November better start the thread, however considering how warm it is, and GFS seems to have no prospect of much stuff falling from the sky,

we may be queuing for the new les carroz luge..............

But that may change Very Happy Very Happy

Whole GM dates

http://hiver.grand-massif.com/dates-d-ouverture

Season pass

http://hiver.lescarroz.com/domaine-skiable/les-forfaits-de-ski/forfaits-saison.html

les carroz webcams

https://hiver.lescarroz.com/webcams-les-carroz.html

GM as a whole webcams

http://hiver.grand-massif.com/webcams

other ski pass links

http://hiver.lescarroz.com/domaine-skiable/les-forfaits-de-ski.html

New piste map

https://hiver.lescarroz.com/images/domaine-skiable/planpistes.pdf

Chamonix meteo

http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/morning/5_days_weather_forecast.php

GFS for les carroz (ish)

http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_746_ens.png
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Woo woo! The countdown hasn't started properly until now!

I was in the GM last in 2017: I think Flaine's pretty much the same, but what has changed on the Samoens side? I read there was a new lift and some new runs...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@EarthWindandWater, new fast Coulouvrier lift and 2 blues (ish) to it and now 2 new reds for this season, but the reds do merge half way down.

huge club med in samoens

top of tete des saix has been flattened and sanitised

lift pass boundaries have changed a bit for this season

see the map link above
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Zorrac Will hopefully be able to get on the Coulouvrier side (we'll be in Flaine in Jan). I'm guessing the Club med will bring a few more bodies onto the slopes...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@EarthWindandWater

The Club Med was opened last winter - so shouldn't be that many extra bodies

Skitrack
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
anyone got a good link for the GFS wiggly location map ?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mishmash, this?

http://www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long-finder.htm

and then just alter the url of the link below to suit

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skitrack, Puzzled I was assuming @EarthWindandWater went in 2016/17, as most of the ski season is actually in the following year i.e 2017 and as mentioning new lifts and runs, they were open last winter

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 8-11-18 19:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Zorrac wrote:
@skitrack, I was assuming @EarthWindandWater went in 2016/17, as most of the ski season is actually in the following year i.e 2017

Correct but it was ambiguous on my part!

I usually use Geneva as a location on wetterzentrale, is that close enough or should I be spot on?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@EarthWindandWater, les carroz is 46,0256 6,6379

geneva is 46,210553 6,1430196

don't think it makes that much difference, the link I have put in is closer to chamonix, being 46 7
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zorrac wrote:
@mishmash, this?

http://www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long-finder.htm

and then just alter the url of the link below to suit

Thank you v much exactly what I was after!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowed a bit yesterday/ last night

Les carroz gondola

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Interesting changes to the lift pass boundaries - I know most people have GM passes, but the when I once borrowed an old Massif pass (Samoens etc) you could still go up and down Tourmaline and back on the Grand Vans, but clearly not anymore.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all, first trip to the Grand Massif booked for jan 12th to jan 19th, staying in Flaine. Any recommendations for ski hire in flaine? or is it just the usual options of skiset, intersport, sport2000.

We also have 2 kids in our group who will be starting ski school, any recommendations for them (aged 5 & 7), or should we just go with ESF? They have had a bit of a slide on nursery slopes on our last trip, but no structured lessons previously.

Thanks in advance
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If your budget allows, I'd strongly recommend Catherine Pouppeville (www.skicat74.com) who was tremendous in making the lessons such fun for the kids.
latest report
if it does not snow,...............however forecast this weekend Very Happy

then there is always the "Speed Dragoz" in les carroz Shocked Shocked

https://winter.lescarroz.com/winter-entertainment/alpine-coaster.html
latest report
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow http://m.webcam-hd.com/grand-massif/grand-massif_morillon-1100
latest report
StanBowles wrote:
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

+1
ski holidays
Trying to not get too excited. Due to arrive on Monday. Hoping for a quiet few days on the slopes before Christmas...fingers crossed.
latest report
Arrived in Samoens on Friday evening. Skied Sat morning which was fun. Not much open, but Chariande express and the Saix express both open so did a few laps of Marmotte and Dahu then over to Portet for a few runs. Snow was in really good condition to about 1600 / 1700 metres. Nice and cold and squeaky. Below that all the snow cannons were running and the snow was not so nice. Lovely day - not a cloud in the sky and cold. Very quiet as you would expect.

Skipped yesterday and today, rain and sleet in the valley, but looks like there has been lots up top. Out again tomorrow morning.
latest report
The webcams are looking great now and more snow to come - fully open on the 22nd. I'm going for my first time to the area on the 4th Jan for a quick 4 days. Really looking forward to it!!! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Skied today, was fantastic. Blue skies, amazing quality snow, and almost completely empty. One of the ski school guys I was chatting with said “day of the season” Very Happy
latest report
Well today was my day of the season so far....powder everywhere, very quiet. Hadn't been to Samoens before on a 'bluebird' day, and was so impressed with mix of terrain, especially easy open off piste. Will be going there a lot more. EUR 24 for 4 hours at the moment with limited lifts open. Only downside was several very long flat parts due to the missing links / lifts.

snow report
We also skiied this morning. Great conditions again. Had a fantastic time. Although think it’s going to warm up for a bit now.
snow report
@polo Nice! 3 weeks til I travel, can't wait!
ski holidays
Raining hard in Les carroz, skied this morning, got rather damp, but was deserted, snow very soft down low by the time we stopped at 2.

Very windy at times, gondola was a bit wobbly at times, timalets was fun, but sticky snow by 2

Roll on tomorrow Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Rather wet in the morning, so waited until 11 and went up then. Odd bit of rain, but ok. Pistes very soft, with quite a few closed that were open yesterday e.g. Rhodes and zorta, Sairon down to morillon was fun, but really soft spring like snow at the base, and warning signs about earth patches. link run back to les carroz was a bit brown, holes in pistes all over the place, but generally it has survived the rain quite well, but it is way too warm Virtually deserted will be a little different tomorrow.

Most likely flaine is better, but considering the weather decided not to go
latest report
I also went up this morning and braved Flaine. Snow was not much better. Weather was v poor so went back to Samoens thinking I would just go home. However the light improved and was quite good fun lapping Marmotte. As above the snow was quite spring like and better fun to ski than it looked.

So warm though and I think the sun forecast from Xmas day on is not going to help the already deteriorating pistes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Got rather wet yesterday but at least we were able to lunch at Chalet le Claire, so the kids were happy. After a good week, with some great snow, it is a shame that it took a hammering yesterday. Feel really sorry for all the resorts, as they must have been so happy with the solid early snow but now it is just too warm...might sit it out today and tomorrow and hope for sunshine on Christmas Day.
snow conditions
Started out early and finished mid afternoon, and the change in conditions became very noticeable. At first quite hard pistes with lots of marbles, but it softened very quickly. Lots of closed runs, only one way down to gron now, combe and the link from morillon that links into it, everything else is closed. Bottom of morillon is more like mid april, loads of brown patches etc have appeared and the lower part of sairon is deepish sugar. Timalets was a bit of a mess at 2, but still skiable, just miss the odd stone or brown bit. Snow seemed a bit better in samoens. The flat light got a quite bit better after lunch

Still enjoyed it....its skiing after all, but maybe not quite how you would like it to be!

Was not as busy as expected considering closed runs and it was sunday, roll on tomorrow.............hopefully the rain that is falling now will not do more damage Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
I also skied today. Lapped Tourmaline a few tiles. Marbles up top, softer and better lower half. Got fed up being buzzed by people flying down a busy piste at full speed and skied Portet instead.

Much quieter and , surprisingly, snow much better. Unfortunately was out of time as had to pick kids up from ski school. So back over to Samoens and skied Marmotte to finish.

Forecast rain and warm tomorrow so not sure if will take kids to ski school. Shall see what the morning brings. Sun forecast for Xmas day.
snow conditions
@Ghanny, I'd always take the kids into ski school, as it does them good to ski in all conditions. One of the issues with us adults is that we get fussy about conditions, but my two can now ski anything after doing ski school in all conditions. Mind you, there will be much moaning at pick-up and no other option than home for a hot bath and hot chocolate! Then they can rest up ad be ready to meet Pere Noel in the square - sharpen your elbows if you want to get them on the stage Laughing with him. @Zorrac, the other half went out this afternoon and had a good time. He'll be out with the girls in the morning while I hot foot it to Super U in search of something to roast for Christmas dinner. Looking forward to a quite ski on Christmas morning
latest report
Yeah they haven’t missed a ski school day yet so probably will take them. Also looking forward to some sun on Christmas morning.
ski holidays
@Ghanny, will try and wear my snowheads neck tube, so you can spot us!
ski holidays
We're off to Samoens for a few days on Boxing Day so watching this thread closely for any updates. Not expecting too much good news however.

After lots of fresh in Avoriaz weekend 14-17 I was hoping for more of the same but now would just settle for reasonable cover on piste and no rain!
ski holidays
It was very very wet, sairon in morillon has lakes in places, plus big brown patches, the worst bit is at the top near the lift and then near the closed 3 seater chair. Flaine was gale force winds, and could not see much so went back to the trees of the other resorts. The best run as far as condition was portet and most of combe was ok. It was not very busy........no idea why Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled quote

Still raining now,...........
snow report
Skied this morning. Absolutely beautiful morning. Some of that rain from yesterday must have fallen as snow as a little bit of fresh up high which was fun. Skied Tourmaline again which was in great condition down to a maybe 1800M. Even after that was quite good.

Portet closed. Big slush / ice lake across the flat part.

Snow cannons going full pelt in Samoens which has made the beginners area look like winter again.

Great morning.
ski holidays
Thanks for the update @Ghanny, that’s made us smile as we pack out kit ready for tomorrow’s flight!
snow conditions
Sunny day, rather rock hard first thing, as @Ghanny, said yesterday's rain fell as snow late on, but only highup ,so some nice easy off piste high up in flaine was very pleasant, even top of grand vans both sides was good. Even if it is a bit thin, so it's play spot the rock /bush/little tree ! Lower down it is a bit hard in places, and still lots shut on Les carroz, Timalets was like nails on the way home. Busy at times, but not that bad, you can miss the crowds if you plan a bit, lots getting caught not been able to go up vernant with the villages pass. one guy next to me going into the pass checker got a little mad,.......Maybe that is why tourmaline is quieter?
latest report
Thanks for the update @Ghanny, that’s made us smile as we pack out kit ready for tomorrow’s flight!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy