Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with ski selection for overweight newbie

Poster: A snowHead
Martin & Ami wrote:
Nicky yes, thats pretty much the situation. I feel like this is a bit like a finger in the air once you get past the basics like length and stiffness for my weight? Nobody can give an exact answer because they dont know my body mechanics, ability or capacity to learn?

Would that sum it up?

That' pretty much it, plus some skis are very subjective. For example I absolutely love my main pair, they put a huge smile on my face, but others have said they're too soft and unresponsive. That's why it's good to ski different skis, establish what you like and don't like in a set, then try to hone in on a pair to buy.

I bought my first pair based on internet reviews and a description that suited what I was after. But it didn't take long* until I tested a pair that I preferred and have subsequently ended up buying 2 years later.

*In fact I skied them at an Oktobertest within an hour of trying the new ones out, it just took a couple of years before I found an affordable pair.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A little off topic but I've just finished a bucket of sweet and salty popcorn from Asda. It was half decent and has given me the sugar rush I needed to be decisive, maybe. May also have added 1cm to my ski length requirements.

Anyhow, that makes sense what you're saying. In fact, what everyone has said makes sense.

I'm going to take it all into account and have a think. I'm very very reluctant to trust a hire shop again, I wont deny that, so perhaps it becomes a question of money being thrown at the problem until I find what I'm happy with, for an unspecified length of time.

Ouch.

I honestly didnt think it would be this complicated when I first wrote the post.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Martin & Ami, be very honest with yourself. If you want to have lots of fun messing about at the side of the pistes then a ski 176 - 180cm in the 90s underfoot sounds ideal. But it will hold you back a little for learning carving, so... if you get something like that then spend one day each week on a pure piste hire ski (not too expensive hiring for a day) and have a lesson on them snowHead

Or... buy 2 pairs of skis, one SL or cheater pair and one all mountain 98mm underfoot ski and drive out Twisted Evil
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarpa wrote:
@Martin & Ami, be very honest with yourself. If you want to have lots of fun messing about at the side of the pistes then a ski 176 - 180cm in the 90s underfoot sounds ideal. But it will hold you back a little for learning carving, so... if you get something like that then spend one day each week on a pure piste hire ski (not too expensive hiring for a day) and have a lesson on them snowHead

FWIW. If going this route, I'd probably do it the other way round.....get a piste ski - and hire when get a dump of snow.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There has to be a good hire shop in Obergugl, I'm sure there enough snowheads who have been there and can recommend a good one, maybe start a separate thread asking for that info.

Always remember Snowheads Rule 3
Quote:
3: The correct number of pairs of skis or snowboards in your quiver is n+1 (where the minimum value for n is 3 : piste, off-piste/tour and park)

+1 for @Scarpa, although I would probably suggest the opposite, buy something piste oriented and then hire for the odd play on the side of the piste
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah, that would make more sense Laughing Most hire places are increasing the range of all mountain skis they have these days.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Timc, I just picked up an unused pair of race skis, Nordica Dobermann SLs for £130 minus bindings, they were a reserve pair. So until I scrap my old wrecked SLs I now have 5 pairs of skis Toofy Grin snowHead Toofy Grin 2 pairs of SLs, one pair of FIS GS, one pair of 98 twin tips on touring bindings and one pair of 120mm powder blasters also on touring bindings. All I need now are a pair of ultra light weight carbon touring skis to satisfy the +1 clause Laughing

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 27-10-18 0:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Something a lot of people in this thread seem to have overlooked is the fact you are just starting to make parallel turns, and from above it doesn't sound like you have boots yet, so deal with that first before wasting money on skis.

Suggestions of wide skis are going to hold back progress, I know ski design has improved but frankly right now you don't really know what type of ski suits you, how fast you will progress, or whether you ever want to do anything other than cruise down a nice pisted blue/red run.

My advice is to buy something dirt cheap that suits you right now, and stick them on ebay at the start of next season. With another 3 weeks of skiing you will be a very different skier by the end of this season to what you are now, but trying to ski a long/stiff/wide/monster ski now will probably leave you frustrated with the whole thing.

By dirt cheap I mean £100, maybe less, probably out of the classified ads here. I'd look at 167cm, a common length, as what do you need the extra length for right now? It isn't for stability at speed, since you won't have a huge amount of that (no offence, but it is true) that you'd need a longer ski for. A few years ago I spent my first week back skiing after a long break on a pair of long skis recommended by a decent retailer and immediately came back and sold them for the same price I paid, they made everything hard work, the tips and tails were trying to catch all the time because of my bad technique and tiredness, I had to consciously watch out all the time for crossing tips, and they were just a PITA.

Get a nice piste focused ski, that could be as narrow as 70mm, that builds your confidence. Your weight isn't particularly high by skiing standards, an awful lot of us are in the 90kg+ category and do fine even on relatively floppy and indeed short skis. I had the time of my life on a pair of skis 20cm shorter than me, throwing them all over the place having fun, learning a lot about balance, control and speed. By the end of the season you probably will want something a bit stiffer, you may want something a bit longer, you may want something a bit wider, but right now that isn't what you need.

I have seen someone in a similar position to you attempting to ski a 100mm wide fairly long ski, because that's what everybody else they'd met skied on. They honestly hated it, spent a lot of time picking themselves up from trying to scrub off speed because they weren't manoeuvrable, and had to fight to get the edges in on anything more than a gentle green run. They also quickly found themselves in the hire shop spending money while their shiny new skis sat in the locker.

Not trying to be patronising here, but some of the advice you are getting is tailored more to skiers who may have your physical size and strength, but those giving the advice perhaps are forgetting how different the world is between getting good controlled turns together on a slightly icy blue vs their ability now. Some of the advice on here is a bit like Lewis Hamilton telling an 18 year old learner driver that an AMG merc is a good choice because it does 0-60 in 5 seconds, and we all need to remember that we are probably not Lewis Hamilton, and you probably don't need the AMG merc of skis.

FWIW, the one thing I will say is that a ski being too stiff is an unlikely problem for you, so if you do want to future proof yourself a bit in the hope of getting two or three seasons out of a ski, get something suited to a skier who is carving on red runs and you'll probably be fine. Note, this does not mean run out and buy some supertuned race skis, but you probably can skip straight over the cheapest/softest/foam core skis in each range, and have a look at the middle of the range for potentially good ideas.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Digger the dinosaur, Agreed, but he does already have his boots sorted and a lot of people in the beginning all said to hire until he gets more experienced as what he needs now may not suit him in a couple of years. Myself, I'd hire or do as you say and get a cheap second hand pair. A pair of twin tips with a bit of rocker will ski shorter so a 176 cm will feel more like a 168 or 170. My skis range from 165cm to 185s and I know which ones I like best on piste Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scarpa, I just bought a "narrow" pair of 180s as a playful piste carver, but if I loaned them to someone just starting to parallel turn who is same size and weight as me it would be out of pure sadism.

I didn't realise he had his boots, in that case just stick to blowing £100 on a pair of skis to save money against rental cost, and sell them for same price you bought them for next November/December. Stick to narrow, intermediate, appropriate skis and you'll maybe get two seasons out of them. But that kind of ski sells in the classifieds here (usually a few years old) for £50 to £100, precisely because everybody goes through the same phase and if they are lucky bought cheap secondhand in the first place.

Trying to buy the single ski quiver for the rest of time at this point of experience just seems like madness to me.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Martin & Ami, I was in the same situation as you about 7 years ago now. Early intermediate that wanted my own kit but no chance to test at the time (or before I even knew about ski test days). Did a lot of reading, and went for a middle of the road all mountain ski, K2 Impact. Didn’t regret it for a second. The buy vs rent argument will rage on with people firmly in both camps, but I value the convenience and familiarity of my own kit.

So, in the absence of testing I don’t think you can go too wrong with an intermediate all mountain ski c.80mm underfoot and c.170cm length from one of the main manufacturers. The equilavent of the K2 Impact today looks to be K2 Iconic.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Martin & Ami, Welcome to the wonderful world of ski purchase faff Laughing Laughing Laughing

All, I do think that he will improve rapidly as he is already a snowboarder, so three weeks this season may well put him at a higher technical level than most one week a year skiers.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi everyone,

So much to reply to, dont want to leave anyone out as I've read everything you've contributed as a group. I'm going to try a combined response.

If I'm understanding correctly, the general consensus is that if I go the purchase route I want a stiff intermediate level all mountain ski with a waist below 95mm but above 85mm and a length of between 168 and 172 which is a shade under my height. I've tried to average out the dimension recommendations given.

@Themasterpiece mentioned the K2 Iconic. Are there any other makes/models I should consider along side? Theres a large thread of ex-demo stuff on here at the moment from Scott, Volkl, Whitedot and Nordica, would anything there be suitable perhaps? If I can support an independent british bricks and mortar shop with this purchase, I will.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa wrote:
@Martin & Ami, Welcome to the wonderful world of ski purchase faff Laughing Laughing Laughing

All, I do think that he will improve rapidly as he is already a snowboarder, so three weeks this season may well put him at a higher technical level than most one week a year skiers.

I wish I had that much confidence in myself haha.

One little advantage I do have is that I spent years ice skating to a fairly high level. As a result, as a first hour beginner, I was able to skate about on ski's, much to the chagrin of my wife who cant do it no matter how hard she tries and she's a good intermediate with 10 seasons behind her. The downside to that being that if you skate about everyone expects you to be a good skier...so it's doubly embarrassing when you get your ski's tangled and fall off the chair lift.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Martin & Ami, It'll take some time but defo get lessons and ask for practice drills which you can do on your own.

I skied for 6 years on a single pair of skis, Nordica Enforcers which at 98mm are too focussed for off piste for yourself, but I rate the brand's all mountain range highly. Go for 1 or 2 seasons back if you buy new, there are often bargains to be had with old stock.

Enforcers now come in a variety of widths, the 93mm looks good but as you can see, they class them as an expert ski, they would be damned difficult to learn on, keep something like that for when you have a few years under your belt and can ski comfortably around the edges of the piste.
https://www.nordica.com/skis/mens/freeski/enforcer/enforcer-93-flat/

Have a look at these two, I have no experience of them but they look about what would suit your level for the next couple of year apart from not being a twin tip. Remember, a straight tail helps keep your turn engaged, a twin tips can require a little more technical skill to avois skidding the tails too much.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/gear/On-piste-ski-reviews-for-intermediate-advanced-and-expert-skiers/
Blizzard Quattro 7.7 £390*

Ideal for second-year skiers upwards, these are brilliant intermediate skis. Light and lively, they turn without too much effort, providing great edge grip and stability. They float fairly well off piste and top the intermediate group for smoothness and low speed, coming joint top in another six categories.

+ Short turns, low speed, smoothness, liveliness/responsiveness, versatility, off piste, groomed piste, moguls
- None

Lengths: 153, 160, 167, 174
Sidecut: 123/77/105 (167)
Radius: 14m (167)

Fischer Progressor F17 £400*

Equally convincing in short or long turns, thanks to a curvier sidecut at the front of the ski and a straighter one at the tail. They’re remarkably stable even at high speeds, where they top the intermediate group. They’re also outright top for edge hold and long turns. Another good choice for intermediates looking to progress.

+ Edge hold, short turns, long turns, high speed, liveliness/responsiveness, moguls
- Off piste

Lengths: 153, 160, 167, 174
Sidecut: 120/73/103 (All lengths)
Radius: 14m/17m (167)
snow report
Or these...

Skis Konic 75 + M2 10 Binding 170cm (2016)
Code: 73462-10495315

Now £181.50

The Konic 75 is the most forgiving,easy-to-control ski in the men’s all-mountain ski collection. Designed for developing skiers with a Catch-Free Rocker profile that elevates the tip and tail for added skiing ease when initiating and finishing turns at slower speeds.

Radius:15m @170Construction:K2 Konic Technology- Composite, Cap ConstructionBinding Options:Marker K2 / M2 10Features:Konic TechnologyBaseline:Catch-Free RockerDimensions:115/75/106

https://www.skibartlett.com/ski-equipment-c1/skis-c3/piste-skis-c28/k2-skis-konic-75-m2-10-binding-170cm-2016-p6123
snow conditions
@Martin & Ami, I’ve had a look through the thread, and @Digger the dinosaur speaks sense about getting second hand skis but not expecting to keep them too long. This is definitely worth considering (I agree with your thoughts in hire skis - if you’re not happy with what you’re getting, having your own pair and getting used to them is fair).

I agree with @Scarpa too though. If you can snowboard already it should be easier for you, and as a (teenage, cul de sac) skater it was definitely straightforward for me Laughing

Ex demo is a reasonable way to go too, if you want to spend a bit extra. You’ll still be able to sell on something you don’t get on with or outgrow, especially if they’ve got demo bindings. I had a look at the list but I don’t know the models that well enough to recommend, so maybe give @spyderjon a call - he does know what he’s selling.
latest report
@Scarpa, Quattro is on the ex demo list, so that might be a good shout. I was going to suggest them myself, but it’s a couple of years since I demoed them.
snow report
IME. Getting on the wrong ski, that is not suitable for your ability, does more harm than good, by undermining confidence. Confidence has a huge part to play in skiing progression. The right ski builds confidence.

At your level, the right ski is very much along the lines of the Piste Skis Scarpa suggested (73 - 77mm and r14m)

A stiff All Mountain ski like the Enforcer, will not help your cause imo

When one has been skiing for years, it's easy to forget what it's like, just getting to grips with parallel turns and struggling more on the weaker side.

IMO. When you can make controlled long and short turns on red runs, that is the time to decide if you want a wider ski....but up to that point, it is better to hire a wider ski on the odd days when there has been a dump of snow to play in.

If you really want a wider ski, I wouldn't go past an 84mm waist.
snow report
I can see how a wider ski would be harder to turn and definitely to get onto an edge. I suppose through powder I could always go faster... lol

Would this be suitable also?

168 RTM 76 ELITE + VMOTION11 GW £425.00 £285.00

Seems to review OK and its affordable.
snow conditions
@Martin & Ami, there is another thread with K2 ex-demos on as well.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=139313&highlight=
ski holidays
going to add my "tuppenny" worth here. I've skied for around 30 years and have had my own skis in the past - but now I always rent skis. (Always pay the extra insurance to cover any excess) go for the middle or top ski.

reasons:

Freshly serviced new(ish) pair every time
No need to carry from UK
Can swap any time - get to try out as many models as the shop has.
If they get stolen - shop will quickly replace (that's why I pay the extra insurance).
If they break - as above.

If you are going to the same resort for your 3 trips then contact the hire shop and ask for a better price. I've just negotiated a very good deal for 4 weeks hire this season ( 1 week, 2 weeks & 1 week).

Totally agree about boots and helmet - this is where its worth buying.
snow report
Martin & Ami wrote:
I can see how a wider ski would be harder to turn and definitely to get onto an edge. I suppose through powder I could always go faster... lol

Would this be suitable also?

168 RTM 76 ELITE + VMOTION11 GW £425.00 £285.00

Seems to review OK and its affordable.

Volkl make very robust, damp skis, so you should get away with the 168 (though it's a touch on the short side) and that looks a decent price. This model seems to have enough headroom, so you won't outgrow it too quickly (it is a beginner/Intermediate ski)....and doesn't have any metal in the construction, which makes it more forgiving. At this stage, more forgiving is a good thing.....though I do think that you will be looking at something better, after you have 6-8 weeks under your belt (all going well).

The 168 has a radius of 15.7m and a sidecut of 124/75/105.....so all looks good.
snow conditions
Nice to see Scott mentioned. I think Scrapper 95 too wide, "The Ski" at 91 would be fine if they still do it. Got mine from Sail and Ski. Just looked their site and in SALE items only at 155...too short. these were 2016 models which I have and love but not your size. They have Volkl RTM 177 at £349...don't know anythig about them. Check S and Ski site. Nice people.
In general, I think 85 to 91 will be about right and length ...175 would be my choice.
snow conditions
Hello everyone.

I've dedicated my entire Saturday to my quest for a pair of skis and I placed an order a few minutes ago.

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread because without all the opinions given, it would have taken me donkeys years to get anywhere in choosing. I'd also like to thank Jon Coster at The Piste Office, who spent almost half an hour of his time on the phone to me today. His approach to pre-sales service is excellent and I will make sure he benefits from my other ski equipment needs in due course.

So for those wondering, in the end I went for a slightly off the wall option, the Volkl Kanjo in 175cm with Marker Griffon bindings. For anyone interested, my reasoning, based on all the feedback received was as follows, hopefully it helps someone in the future:

I wanted an all mountain ski which was stiff, as I'm very heavy relative to my height so almost no matter what I go for, it's going to flex. Jon said as such and it is of course, logical.

The Kanjo is a fairly light ski and I hate carrying skis with a passion, especially since I mostly have 10kg on my back whilst skiing (family stuff/food for all).

The length of contact on the 175 should bring it inline with a non-rockered piste ski of a shorter length. Going for the 175 over the 168, should help compensate for my weight being well above average for my height.

Despite a seemingly 50/50 split on waist width in the comments, I felt like a 76 was rather too focused towards piste and I may outgrow it quickly. This is because with my snowboarding experience I am probably more likely to explore off piste from the outset. Unlike a rank beginner in snow sports, I dont have the same initial fear of the mountain environment. Also, I'm definitely turning towards higher altitude resorts and last minute bookings, so hopefully powder is more likely.

I reasoned that my weight will compensate in turning the wider ski due to the additional torque I'm able to naturally impose in a turn. More pressure may be placed on my knees, but I am used to the open knee pressure I may have to apply to initiate the turn. As I lose weight, my skiing should be improving at the same time, so hopefully it will all balance out.

I'm going to be taking lessons and I'm not so set in my ways yet as to fail to adapt to a particular ski, so I figured that the extra width could be further compensated for in this way. It's not too extreme at 84mm.

The build quality is apparently very good for Volkl ski's.

The price, whilst not the primary factor by any means, was very keen.

So, if you see anyone in new ski's trying to uncross them whilst getting off the chairlift, it's probably me. I'm going to look like a laughing stock initially. Extra motivation.

It's a shot in the dark, I just hope its ultimately the right choice. Time will tell.

Thank you all once again.
ski holidays
You won't go far wrong with Jon, he's a top bloke.

Did you consider quiver killers (he's the main UK agent) makes the next ski in your quiver a bit cheaper and easier to transport as the bindings can be removed.
latest report
WASHOUT wrote:
You won't go far wrong with Jon, he's a top bloke.

Did you consider quiver killers (he's the main UK agent) makes the next ski in your quiver a bit cheaper and easier to transport as the bindings can be removed.

I've heard of them and it's something I'd consider down the line. Jon was fantastic and I felt a bit bad for not selecting one of the demo ski's he's got on sale at the moment but I recognise good service when I receive it and I do have other requirements so I think we'll be doing business sooner rather than later.
snow report
Martin & Ami wrote:
I'd also like to thank Jon Coster at The Piste Office, who spent almost half an hour of his time on the phone to me today.

Jon dedicates a crazy amount of time to answering the queries of various snowheads, it's one of the reasons he has so many repeat customers*...that and his washing up prowess on a Bash.

*Although I must admit to only ever having had servicing kit off him.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
Martin & Ami wrote:
I'd also like to thank Jon Coster at The Piste Office, who spent almost half an hour of his time on the phone to me today.

Jon dedicates a crazy amount of time to answering the queries of various snowheads, it's one of the reasons he has so many repeat customers*...that and his washing up prowess on a Bash.

*Although I must admit to only ever having had servicing kit off him.

Well, if he's still go them in stock, I've already posted back with an order for one item that I never even discussed with him.

Good customer service is rare these days and as a small business owner myself, I perhaps more than most appreciate the attitude it takes to give 30 minutes (or more) of professional advice with the promise of nothing at the other end, especially these days when everyone is under so much pressure. I'm sure his margins on the ski's he offered me were worse than what he'll ultimately earn from sales to me anyway.

It felt as though Jon gave me the advice without a sales pitch. That wins major brownie points in my book.
ski holidays
Martin & Ami wrote:
Hello everyone.

I'm going to be taking lessons and I'm not so set in my ways yet as to fail to adapt to a particular ski, so I figured that the extra width could be further compensated for in this way. It's not too extreme at 84mm.

84mm is what I thought was a good compromise width, for reasonable nimbleness On Piste, with a little extra float/front and back rocker, for off to the side. 175 is imo the right length....especially given the stiffness of the ski, which does have metal in it.

Given there is no such thing as the perfect ski, it's a matter of choosing your compromises.

I think you will have received good advice from Jon....and have a ski that will see you right through to a decent advanced level. The downside, is these are a little less forgiving and have a turn radius that won't feel as nimble, but will be very stable in medium to long turns - but this is where the lessons come in. These are skis that you need to grow in to, rather than quickly grow out of.

Let us know how you get on with them
latest report
Enjoy fella. And perhaps hit the End Of Season Bash in April for a cheeky 4th week Toofy Grin

Glad you went longer, learn the techniques and they will reward you. But as said, be humble and take lessons. I ski about a 100 days a season and still value lessons and am still learning a great deal every year. A proper race skier has a full time coach after all, a World Cup skier probably has a whole team advising them.

If you ever make it out to the Amade region of Austria give me a shout Smile
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
Enjoy fella. And perhaps hit the End Of Season Bash in April for a cheeky 4th week Toofy Grin

Glad you went longer, learn the techniques and they will reward you. But as said, be humble and take lessons. I ski about a 100 days a season and still value lessons and am still learning a great deal every year. A proper race skier has a full time coach after all, a World Cup skier probably has a whole team advising them.

If you ever make it out to the Amade region of Austria give me a shout Smile

Educate me chap, what is the Amade region? I could Google it, but its not nearly as cool as asking.

I'm humble, I train brazilian jiu jitsu, it's the most humbling thing anyone could ever do in sports, any ego i had left me long ago. If you arent regularly being choked out by a 14 year old skinny kid, you're not really living.
latest report
Hey, my way of thinking... (in climbing the average teen cruises anything I fail on) Smile so in any situation ask the locals, it saves a lot of time. The mid part of Austria has two ski passes... the Amade (named after Mozart) which covers about 44 odd ski resorts, and the slightly more expensive Super Salzurg which covers approx 64. Massive areas and where I spend my winters. All based around the Salzburg area.
ski holidays
Martin & Ami wrote:

...It felt as though Jon gave me the advice without a sales pitch...

It always does. He's very good at making it "feel" like that Toofy Grin Next thing you know your wallet will be empty! rolling eyes

PS. He's a top bloke.
ski holidays
I think you've come up with a decent compromise there, it is wider and marginally longer than I'd have put you on, but worst case you end up skiing something more forgiving from the hire shop for the first week or two from now, don't be too proud to rent a pair if you're struggling with them for first few days this season, you'll get your mileage out of them over next 2/3 seasons anyway.

That said, I'm often surprised by advice I've had from Jon that I was 100% sure I was right, he was wrong. I don't think he's ended up actually being wrong yet, and that's normally with 5 mins of information not 30.
snow report
@Digger the dinosaur, yebbut how many seasons did you spend spinning around on that pixie sized pair of purple lolly sticks? Laughing Did you know I was offered some for an actual bag of chips, but I turned them down as it wasn’t a very good deal.
snow report
@Martin & Ami, my stats are about the same as yours and I've just bought myself a pair of 2018/19 Rossignol Pursuit 700 piste skis, 74cm waist in 177cm long. After the Oktobertest I had my heart set on a pair of Scott Slight 83s and was talked out of them by this forum, because most of my skiing for the foreseeable is going to be on a piste rather than off one. I've done 5 hours in a fridge on them since they turned up last week and they're marvellous!
latest report
Scarpa wrote:
Hey, my way of thinking... (in climbing the average teen cruises anything I fail on) Smile so in any situation ask the locals, it saves a lot of time. The mid part of Austria has two ski passes... the Amade (named after Mozart) which covers about 44 odd ski resorts, and the slightly more expensive Super Salzurg which covers approx 64. Massive areas and where I spend my winters. All based around the Salzburg area.

Thanks for this. Ive only been to salzburg once, many years ago, to play a concert in the cathedral as part of a tour we did. Ever since then Austria has been my favourite country. I probably should move there.
snow report
Digger the dinosaur wrote:
I think you've come up with a decent compromise there, it is wider and marginally longer than I'd have put you on, but worst case you end up skiing something more forgiving from the hire shop for the first week or two from now, don't be too proud to rent a pair if you're struggling with them for first few days this season, you'll get your mileage out of them over next 2/3 seasons anyway.

That said, I'm often surprised by advice I've had from Jon that I was 100% sure I was right, he was wrong. I don't think he's ended up actually being wrong yet, and that's normally with 5 mins of information not 30.

The length was a consideration for sure. I knocked off the rocker lengths from the total and it resulted in a contact area which would just about come up to my nose, so I figured I'd give it a try at 175. Next one down would definitely have been too short.

Width wise, I think I'll have to post back and update this thread once I've given them a go.
snow conditions
slopemad wrote:
@Martin & Ami, my stats are about the same as yours and I've just bought myself a pair of 2018/19 Rossignol Pursuit 700 piste skis, 74cm waist in 177cm long. After the Oktobertest I had my heart set on a pair of Scott Slight 83s and was talked out of them by this forum, because most of my skiing for the foreseeable is going to be on a piste rather than off one. I've done 5 hours in a fridge on them since they turned up last week and they're marvellous!

Those look really good piste skis. I guess if you're on piste all the time it makes total sense.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy