Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Kitzbühel/Kirchberg 2018/19

Poster: A snowHead
Apparently they have been talking about that gondola for a while but only just got around to it. It was always a nice run but rarely used because of the old rickety 2 person lift with carpets over the knees.
Interesting to hear the idea of linking with St Johann.
Big pancake snowflakes today. Going to ski afternoon since Mrs Dougie want to look at some shops. Not arguing too much as enjoyed myself a little too much watching “Frog On The Tyne” playing at O’Flanagan’s last night!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tatmanstours wrote:
@Jenniper, Let me know if you want/need anyone to show you around snowHead

Thank you, kind sir! We shall probably just bimble around enjoying the map like we usually do but I’ll keep an eye out for you apres time and say hello if I see you!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
(If you still wear a hat Smile )
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When I went to Kitzbuhel (only been once) the Horn was closed all week due to some technical problem so maybe that’s why they have put the new gondola in.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The new gondola, over the back in the Raintal, isn't part of the access to the Horn, so it wouldn't be involved in any problem which shutdown the whole area.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@espri, oh I see I’m thinking of the wrong one
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hoping for a bit of sunshine today and heading to Steinplatte before the next snow system arrives tonight
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like there is going to be a lot of snow this coming week.
Just on the Eurotunnel now!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dougie, is it possible to ski from Kitzbuhel to the bottom of Ki-West, or do you have to get a bus? Am already planning my Feb trip to Kitzbuhel Happy
Thanks in advance!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@geoff10, There is a shuttle bus between Ki West and the Pengelstein gondola. In my experience it is pretty efficient, I cant remember waiting longer than 5 minutes or so. Maybe given the right conditions it is possible to ski off piste between the two areas (more likely from Kitzbühel to Ski Welt) through the trees and on forest tracks but would require a lot of local knowledge.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@munich_irish, I haven’t been for a few years but from memory you can plot your way down through the trees to hit the road opposite Ki-West.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It would be good to make a proper link there. I wonder if there’s any plans to do it?
Or is the valley too wide?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@munich_irish, thank you! much appreciated
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gordyjh, and thank you too!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'll be staying in Kirchberg for two weeks from 13th Jan with my husband. The weather forecast is looking promising! This will be our first trip to the area (indeed, our first ski trip to Austria).

I am looking for recommendations of instructors who can show us around offpiste. We've got avi gear etc and I have a certain amount of knowledge of how to stay safe off piste but I'd like to spend a day or two exploring a bit further afield than I would be comfortable navigating on my own.

If anyone is in the area and wants to meet up for a ski then let me know. We're both competent skiers.
snow conditions
@geoff10, Sorry I have not replied quicker. You cannot ski directly to the bottom of Ki-West. There are lots of buses but the bottom of Penglestein I is the quickest. Since the Steinbergkogel was closed today, we skied to the bottom of the Mairl and the bus came within a couple of minutes.
We skied over Westendorf and into Brixen to find the gonodola back to Brixen was shut. Had a fantastic day skiing to Ellmau and back to Brixen before getting the bus back to Kitzbuhel, all on the ski pass, so not extra cost.
Edit: Can’t ski directly on pistes but sounds like you can off pistes.
snow report
Thanks, @Dougie, much appreciated! Sounds like you had a good day, that's a LOT of skiing! Actual skiing is way more important than responding to random questions on't interweb Happy
ski holidays
Hello, I'm new to SnowHeads Smile Myself and my boyfriend are looking for a room to rent in Kitzbuhel from mid January to mid March. If anyone has anything, or knows someone who does, please let me know! Any help would be much appreciated Very Happy
snow conditions
@Maireadoconnor, Konrad Herbert
latest report
Gordyjh wrote:
@Maireadoconnor, Konrad Herbert

Thanks! This guy?
https://www.checkyeti.com/en/konradherbert/skiing-from-beginners-to-pros?resortId=72&participantsCount=1

And he teaches telemark too... that could be useful Smile
ski holidays
@Maireadoconnor, yes. He’s often booked up ages in advance.
ski holidays
Not much open in Kitzbuhel this afternoon but the piste conditions are superb
ski holidays
Went over to Scheffau today and it was fab
Light fluffy powder everywhere apart from lower down near the bottom.
Well worth the effort going out this morning.
latest report
Skied in Kitzbuhel yesterday. A bit more open than earlier in the week. Snow was superb!
There’s even more open today too so those coming out at the weekend hopefully should have a good week.
latest report
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Can't wait!

Now I need to make a decision about which skis to bring. I'm out for two weeks, staying in Kirchberg.

I'll definitely bring my new dynastar x96 and touring boots. But the pistes look great too. I could bring my telemark gear and try to actually get good at that. Or I could bring my alpine boots and piste skis and hoon around. Both options involve bringing two sets of boots but I can handle that. Decisions, decisions.

Matwall is in a similar dilemma. He's going to bring his 'new' (i.e. my old) whitedot directors so that the two of us can do a little bit of touring. They're not great for piste skiing tho. I don't suppose his slalom skis are the right choice in these conditions. I guess he could always hire something out there. I'm assuming it's not crazy expensive to rent skis out there?
latest report
Go for the Telemark skis, great conditions for tele at the moment
snow conditions
Went over to Kitzbühel today skied down to the Maierlbahn had an early lunch of Kasespatzel whilst waiting for the next bus to Ki-West. Then went over to Westendorf and skied all over Westendorf including down to Brixen Im Thale and back.
It’s been snowing all day and getting heavier since lunchtime. Big fat snowflakes again, the trees can barely take much more. In fact on the way back to Kitzbuhel Hahnenkamm I saw a broken tree right across the trunk where it had snapped off midway presumably under the weight of snow.
Westendorf was soooo snowy and pretty deserted actually compared to Kitzbuhel.
snow conditions
A couple folks have been killed this week by falling trees groaning under wet snow in Austria.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Whitegold, I can believe it.
I suspect that could be another reason apart from the risk of avalanche why there are signs everywhere telling you to stay on the pistes.
There’s some seriously deep tree wells forming as well.
Loads of signs in town about being careful about the snow slipping off rooves too.
latest report
The Steinplatte is closed due to high winds and unstable snow
ski holidays
I took today off as a rest day and it was a good day to take off as there’s a lot of lifts closed.
ski holidays
Fab afternoon in Jochberg skiing lots of nice snow just to the side of the piste. After a very cloudy windy morning it brightened up nicely.
Best day of the season so far (since Jan 5th for me)
snow conditions
It’s a beautiful day in Kitzbuhel today. Stunning.
It’s nice and fresh with clear blue skies. It makes the efforts of the past couple of weeks with the bumper snowfall all worth it (hard work for the locals and resort staff etc) to appreciate views like these today.
Anyone coming out at the weekend is in for a treat!
ski holidays

it was nice today
ski holidays
What's the word on the street in Kitz.....is there a decent enough base for some spring piste bashing in Kitz? Easter weekend (19-21 April)
ski holidays
@LittleBullet some lifts will still be open see https://www.kitzski.at/de/skigebiet-tirol/info/fahrplan-winter-bbag-kitz.html. However it is really impossible to know quite what state the pistes will be in three months time. The Jochberg area plus a number of other areas close on the 7th, some lifts earlier. The pistes at Pass Thurn are likely to be OK, there is likely to be some skiing between the Hahnekamm and Pengelstein and maybe even some valley runs amongst the green spring fields.

I doubt it makes sense to book now for an Easter ski holiday in Kitzbühel, either wait until nearer the time or choose somewhere else with more reliable snow which plans to stay open (Obertauern, Ischgl etc). If you are going to be in the area anyway there is a good chance of a couple of mornings spring skiing, it could be glorious, beautiful sunshine and no crowds but it really is a complete lottery if it works out.
latest report
@LittleBullet, there’s lots of snow at the moment but that could soon go in a prolonged warm spell for 3-4 weeks with no new snow-it happens.
Book nearer the time or choose a resort that’s always open until May like Ischgl.
latest report
Thank you @munich_irisch and @VolklAttivaS5

I managed to bag super cheap flights to Munich for the Easter weekend, so I'm committed to doing something! Now looking into Soelden, Obergurgl and Obertauern instead.
snow report
For those who are in or going to Kitz this w/e, the downhill has been brought forward to tomorrow due to the weather. Starting at 11-30 local time. Slalom on Saturday, and the super g Sunday
snow conditions
Went to see the downhill today. Lots of people there as expected and I suspect there would have been more tomorrow as it’s a Saturday.
It lightly snowed all morning and I think from the look of the sides of the pistes it had snowed overnight.
Some more snow is forecast for tomorrow so hopefully it will be freshies for VolklAttivaS5 in the next couple of days.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy