Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

[Questions+Meetup] Kappl, January 2019

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone. First post here, but I've been lurking for quite some time now.

We are a married couple of snowboarders (M 30, F 27, living in London), booked a self-catering apartment in the Kappl area between 5-19 January 2019.
We will be flying to Innsbruck, but haven't decided yet if we will use public transport or rent a car. Public transport would have to be Innsbruck to Landeck by train, Landeck to Kappl by bus.

The plan is to use our accommodation as a base for Ischgl, and maybe a few days do local runs. I have a few years of experience, whilst my wife is still learning but can "get down" from reds/blacks on the heel edge Smile
We've been to France a few times, and tried Austria for the first time last year. We spent 1 week at Klosterle and drove to Zurs area, and 1 week near Finkenberg. Service and slopes wise, we enjoyed Austria immensely, but can't beat the Frenchies for their food, wine and the wow/cute factor.

It would be nice to meet friendly people and do some runs together if possible. If anyone interest and will be in that area or wants to join, let us know rolling eyes

We would appreciate some tips from more experienced travellers in this area:
    1. Can we rely on ski bus to get us around from Kappl to Ischgl, and back?
    2. How much does a ski bus trip cost?
    3. How much does a 1-way taxi journey to/from Ischgl cost (in case we decide to stay late and enjoy apres ski)?
    4. Can we rely on public transport to get us around supermarkets to buy food?
    5. Can we get to St Anton by public transport? Maybe we will spend snowboarding 1 week at Ischgl, and 1 week at St Anton.
    6. Considering all this, would it be wiser to rent a car, assuming we would not mind a 30 min drive one way to St Anton every day for a week?

We are still deciding if we can start the journey earlier and meet Christmas or NYE in the mountains. However, with prices during that period, this is definitely more of a wishful thinking.

Thanks a lot Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 10-07-18 14:33; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have stayed in Kappl a couple of times and skied in Ischgl, simply because accommodation is cheaper. Do note the Ischgl ski pass is more expensive (a couple of Euros a day) if you do not stay in Ischgl itself. Whilst public transport is pretty good in Austria if you are planning on staying outside of Ischgl then a car is probably a very good idea. The last time I was in Ischgl day parking was free. From memory most of Kappl is up from the valley road so I guess the bus stop could be a good walk away from your accommodation.

I am sure both the Kappl and Ischgl tourist office websites will have the bus timetables to and from Landeck, the OEBB (Austrian railways) website will also show bus connections eg Innsbruck airport to Kappl. Not sure there are ski buses (as opposed to normal valley buses) between Kappl and Ischgl as they are separate resorts again the tourist office website should have the info (though might be in summer mode at the moment)

I am pretty sure you would have to change buses to get from the Paznauntal to St Anton and again on the return, not really practical for daily skiing. Whilst it is a perfectly doable drive, Kappl to St Anton is a bit more than 30 mins nearer 40 mins. Car parking for day visitors to St Anton is not free, though you could park in one of the villages and take a ski bus. It is not unknown for the Paznauntal road to be closed for varying amounts of time due to avalanche risk after heavy snowfall, the risk being higher in January than other times.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@EARNEST,
we stayed in Kappl this year (boys week), and for 2 days did the Kappl mountain (the 2nd day since there was SOOOOOO much powder it seemed pointless travelling further), then off to Ischgl for the rest of the week. Thought about Galtur, but were having such a good time it didn't seem necessary. Likewise St Anton.

The bus is fine between the two - depending on your accommodation, its a ~100m walk to the slopes then ski down to the bus stop. The only issue can be the numbers during peak transport hours, but there are enough busses, and it's only 15 mins, so not too bad.
On the way back the bus comes up the hill to the main village 'square'.

The ski bus is included in your pass
The taxi IIRC is about €20
The supermarkets in Kappl are central, so you can walk to / from your accommodation (even carrying slabs of beer...)

We had two cars with us (drove from Zurich airport) and didn't get them out of the garage at all during the week.

This of course assumes you are in / close to the village. If you are in an outlying suburb then car may be useful (I'd still try for the bus to Ischgl tho').
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@EARNEST,
Welcome to snowHead ,
I have stayed in Kappl quite a few times and skied Ischgl and have always really enjoyed it.
Most of your questions seem to have been answered above but to enlarge on a couple of points.
Price of lift pass: If you only want to ski Ischgl /Samnaun it is a little cheaper in Ischgl as the Ischgl pass is only on sale to those staying in Ischgl and Mathon.
People staying in other resorts have to buy a full valley pass which also covers See, Kappl and Galtur.

There is a lot of accommodation available in Kappl which is not in central Kappl some of it can be quite far from both the centre of Kappl and from the lifts which are in the valley just below the centre.
Most of the accommodation that I am aware of has buses running to and from the Kappl lifts to get a bus to Ischgl you need to either get a bus or walk down to the bottom of the valley where the the buses run if your accommodation is not there.
As far as supermarkets are concerned there are supermarkets available in Kappl close to the centre and Ischgl near the lifts, how far you are from the centre of Kappl will depend on how convenient the supermarket is. Our experience is that these supermarkets are very crowded post skiing with long queues and not a great range. There is an excellent supermarket a few minutes down the road by car from Kappl in See which is less crowded, cheaper and has much better variety of food and drink.
The ski buses do connect See with the other resorts I am not sure what time they run to and the supermarket is at the far end.
No idea on the price of taxis we have always had a car.
Personally with Ischgl/Samnaun, Galtur Kappl and See all on the valley lift pass I would not use Kappl separately to ski the Arlberg there is a huge variety on the one lift pass which will be cheaper than buying two separate weeks and involve less travel , expense of travelling.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everyone for very helpful tips and recommendations.

We are going to be in this area, according to the description, is about here 100m away from the nearest ski bus stop and 4km from Kappl Center, on the side of the Silvretta Strasse. We booked it via Interchalet, first time using them, hopefully info is accurate and not misleading.

@Arctic Roll, haven't considered parking, that's a good point. I think we will stick to Ischgl + local areas. St Anton's 30-40 min drive and bad weather are valid points too. This was more of a concern from our end in case we get bored in our area, and decided to spice things up with St Anton skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@EARNEST,
Silvretta Strasse is the main road running along the bottom of the valley, it is a fairly steep sided valley so you won't get any sun in your apartment in January it can be a bit noisy if you overlook the road. You might be a bit of a distance to the nearest shops as well, but the ski buses should be very convenient as they run along the road.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@T Bar, thanks, good point. Sun is not a problem, as we would be up and early on the slopes. Seems that renting a car becomes a necessity now Puzzled At this point, it is too early, can't find anything under GBP 300 for 2 weeks from the Innsbruck airport. Perhaps, more cars will be available in September or October.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
It would be nice to meet friendly people and do some runs together if possible. If anyone interest and will be in that area or wants to join, let us know

Pop your details into the snowBuddy - it's there to help like-minded snowHeads find each other in the mountains.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you’re 4km out of Kappl there’s a chance you could get by with buses etc. Pretty regular and I’ve never had too much of an issue getting on them. Have based myself in Kappl a few times now but was fortunate enough to base ourselves right beside the piste. Car however may be a more convenient option for you (carrying food etc). Kappl is nice and quiet and runs long to valley floor. When we were there in Jan there was too much snow and high winds so a lot of the slopes and uplift were closed (including Ischgl). St Anton had more open at same time do a car would give you that option.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone. Looks like getting a car is our safe bet but an expensive one (around 400 GBP, like a ski-pass for a week)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@EARNEST,
A car undoubtedly provides you with flexibility but depending on how much the transfer is getting the odd taxi to and from the shops could be cheaper and small top up shops can be done in Ischgl where there is a supermarket albeit a crowded one close to the final run and bus stop.
100M in snowboard boots from the bus stop isn't bad.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Would anyone know any good places close to this area where it would be nice to spend a few days to a week prior to the main trip? Where it would be nice to celebrate the New Year Eve
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
EARNEST wrote:
Would anyone know any good places close to this area where it would be nice to spend a few days to a week prior to the main trip? Where it would be nice to celebrate the New Year Eve

Innsbruck itself is meant to be very pleasant though I've never been.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy