Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2018 / 2019

Poster: A snowHead
bigtuboflard wrote:
I really hope they get it fixed for March, stopping in Montalbert for a week and my other half is a bit of a cautious intermediate so if that’s the only way out of that sector it’s going to get a bit of a hammering.

Saving grace there might be that your ‘getting out’, and will probably be in much better shape first thing when your getting out of that sector. It’s later in the afternoon when others are returning to the rest of La Plagne that it’s gonna be a pain! Hopefully the lifties will be a bit more relaxed on the closing time on La Roche to help anyone who’s struggled down that bit.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Alastair, What I don't understand with this whole Envers lark , is why didn't they just build some tried and trusted estblished design. For example Crozats : similar spec, built in a summer, works fine. Compared , you have Envers, took 18 months to get working, ran for 1 year, now bust.

What is it that is so 'special' about Envers. It doesn't run any quicker, there's nothing special about it ( apart from being really uncomfortable ). I thought I read somewhere that it was some sort of "new" design.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eblunt, i imagine either they put in a better (cheaper) bid. Or some money changed hands in brown envelopes.
The message-behind-the-eyes from the SAP lady was that it was unlikely Envers will run this season.

Meantime i've worked out that the La Plagne site pages that show which lifts and runs are open do work in Microsoft Edge, but don't work on my version of Google. In case someone out there is having the same problem.

Today has dawned "claggy" (wife's term): cloudy and dull. Can see next apartment, but can't see any further.
And no snow yet. All sites have downgraded expected snowfall. Two days ago some sites suggested 45cm. Now best i can find is 10cm.
All rather depressing. Think i'll stay in and write christmas cards.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jonpim, Are you there all season ? If so could meet up and say Hi
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The staff had the roads nicely cleared for our arrival, but the snowplough driver had obviously turned around just before our drive BUT fortunately I have new winter tyres this season so all was fine, lots of snow down here and apparently lots of man made stored up as well. Real pain that Envers won't be working this season but apparently a new chairlift from Poma will be replacing it for NEXT season. Skullie
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin wrote:
The staff had the roads nicely cleared for our arrival, but the snowplough driver had obviously turned around just before our drive BUT fortunately I have new winter tyres this season so all was fine, lots of snow down here and apparently lots of man made stored up as well. Real pain that Envers won't be working this season but apparently a new chairlift from Poma will be replacing it for NEXT season. Skullie

The news about the Envers replacement is welcome, if confirmed. I'm sure it won't even class as a particularly major problem for Poma. I assume they will retain the new pylons and stick their own stuff on top, replacing the end stations and the chairs.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Alastair, Good new about a replacement for Envers. I don't know who the current manufacturer of this fiasco is , but they must be finished as a company, now, for sure.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin wrote:
apparently a new chairlift from Poma will be replacing it for NEXT season.

This "apparently", how good is your source? Is it rumour or a definite plan?
SAP Plagne Centre refused to confirm.

eblunt, we are in and out, avoiding all the busy periods. So no Xmas, New Year, or February. When and where are you?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Alastair, @eblunt, According to local rumour everything has to be replaced! Personally I'm not surprised about the damage to the chairs as when it was running you could hear each chair really smacking into the top station
@Jonpim, local committee chairman... who did qualify it with his distrust of SAP's ability. Confused (He was bang on with updates of Envers non-opening previously both summer and winter.)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ah, boredsurfin, that would appear a good source. So, shut for this season, but possibly open for next.
So it goes.

Meantime your favourite weather site has got it wrong for today.
Its been snowing all morning, and now there is a real snowstorm going on out there
Metoefrance forecast Cloudy, and no snow.
Lets hope it is therefore quite wrong about the rest of the week, when it is forecasting rain for Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
I prefer meteoexploration just now (i look at all the sites and choose the one with the most favourable weather - completely fickle)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Jonpim, Closed all season - confirmed at the Pre season commercial meeting of the Montalbert Tourist Office this Morning Skullie Sad Many unhappy people. SAP being vague about replacement plan Sad
Cloudy in the Valley, went to the bank it was closed! Never mind got 40 beers for €15 in the supermarket so not all together a wasted journey. Sunny in Monty now...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

Preparing the pistes in La Plagne Montalbert ready to open on Saturday
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin, looks lovely.
Today the pistes above Plagne Centre and Bellecote were excellent with fluffy off-piste off to the side.
Down to 1800 the off-piste is heavy and hard going.
The piste down to La Roche this morning was not fun at all for the bottom half: its mainly artificial snow, it went soft yesterday with the warmth, then froze solid overnight, making for horrible hard slidy stuff that is difficult to get a purchase in. No fun for anyone but expert downhillers.

Meantime, young man, are you coming out to play? I know you will need to drive round to La Roche.
Also, is that fancy restaurant still there, and open? We were thinking of driving round for meal - fancy joining us?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonpim, Would love to join you for a meal at Union, unfortunately like everything else down here its not opening until Saturday!
Will leave driving around until later in the week, we have the 2nd most important person in December arriving tomorrow early evening... Monsieur Ramoneur!
We need his certificate before we can fire up the log burner!
Then Wednesday we will go to BstM to hopefully find the bank open and then buy some logs!
When are you back to London?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I believe the story of Envers goes something like this but won't guarantee it, I suspect you will get the theme and probably won't be surprised.
Compagnie des Alpes owns La Plagne and many other resorts, they also own a considerable stake in LST, the company that built Envers.
LST desired to become a player in the chairlift market but needed to complete a build in a famous European resort for credibility, they plan to compete with the likes of Poma & Doppelmayr and fight for market share in the developing Chinese market.
They developed the idea of producing a lightweight, energy efficient lift. Compagnie des Alpes told La Plagne that LST would build Envers, SAP did not have much choice in the matter. The location of lift was decided for SAP as the site was not critical as the old lift had been removed and you can ski via La Roche.
The lift is partly experimental and Poma had to build some parts for the attachments of the chair to the line but did not complete the order on time and much of the first season was lost due to delays caused by Poma and then a massive amount of testing as the design was new.
I have heard that the lift was, at some point going to be dismantled and sent to China for redeployment, SAP have never been part of the project so have been content to see it fail as they don't believe its their lift or their fault. SAP have built a great reputation for assembling lifts built by other companies, ie Colosses, Crozats and Inversens but these are tried and tested and do not require months of testing as the tests have all been done already and the projects belong to SAP.
Anyway, I'm sure SAP will build a new lift next summer and this sorry tale will form part of history!
snow report
Just received the Official announcement - note nothing about a replacement!!

It is with great disappointment that we (SAP) announce the closing of the des Envers chairlift for an indefinite period.
The manufacturer has very recently detected failing security elements. No immediate solution allows us to solve these flaws. Under these conditions, the authorization to put in operation is not issued.
We are making every effort with the manufacturer to find fast and reliable technical solutions that would allow us to consider reopening during the winter.
We will of course keep you informed of any progress.
We will do our best to allow our clients to enjoy the estate in the best conditions despite this constraint, and we count on your support to help us manage the situation.
SAP : Société d'Aménagement de La Plagne
snow report
boredsurfin, pity we wont meet this time. We leave on Sunday, then back Jan 17th.
That "official" announcement essentially the same as SAP lady in Plagne Centre.
Mrs Jonpim is very envious you have an open fire in your apartment.

Charliee, that explanation is absolutely superb: easily understood and makes sense.
Please now could you explain Brexit with similar clarity and authority Toofy Grin
(would be interested to know of your sources)
latest report
@Jonpim, Guess what ...we leave on the 16th!
snow report
Hi @Jonpim, I think the Envers affair is accurate in the main and has been talked about over the past couple of years in Plagne Centre.

As for Brexit I don't have enough time or energy other than to say its a total unmitigated disaster!
snow report
So, Charliee, Bexit just like Envers Toofy Grin

Meantime, glorious sunny day here in La Plagne.
Boiling here in the Inversens restaurant greenhouse.
latest report
@Jonpim, I was talking to a mate this morning from the restaurant, he said the ski to Les Bauches was fantastic, fresh tracks from the restaurant - just be careful of rocks lower down! Have fun.
latest report
Would any of you knowledgable people be able to tell me if a list of lifts that allow pedestrians on exists? Got a couple of non skiers with us in Jan and would quite like to get a piste map and highlight all the lifts they could use!
latest report
I think its only the cable cars that allow pedestrians on during winter, the bellcote gondola all the way to the top - to see the ice cave in the glacier is probably the most interesting ride on a nice day.
ski holidays
@Gassy222, as @Charliee, says plus all the free ski busses, the yoghurt pots from Centre to Villages and the Tele Metro from Centre to Aime 2000, there is also a bus down to Aime they can pay for if they fancy a trip out - but be warned there are in excess of 22 Hairpin bends so if they are not so good on a coach best avoided!
Which village are you staying as this can make a big difference..

@Charliee your Envers story - there are many similar versions - misses one important fact - CdA and its joint venture partners have a contract to design build and operate potentially 22 ski resorts in China, that's a lot of lifts to supply.....
I'm more interested to find out when CdA's contract to operate La Plagne comes to an end, so if you know anyone that may know...
ski holidays
Charliee wrote:
@Jonpim, I was talking to a mate this morning from the restaurant, he said the ski to Les Bauches was fantastic, fresh tracks from the restaurant - just be careful of rocks lower down! Have fun.

According to live site information, none of the lifts down there are working, so i presume he got there by skidoo or similar.
It was superb up at Roche de Mio.
And then they started running the Inversens lift, which got lots of us all excited, but they were just testing and running it in, and it soon stopped again. Maybe tomorrow . . .
ski holidays
What a morning! After a winter in Chamonix I forgot how relaxed powder days here are in comparison.

Some nice low angle laps on the Arpette (not one person followed the track I put in, for the line under the chair, weird!)

Then a quick lap off the Roche de Mio towards the couloir but cutting off before the entrance to get fresh tracks. Always nice to see the usual ESF stupidity, taking a group of teenagers off piste, not a single backpack between them, so also assuming no tranceiver. And all skiing together as a group. For me this is poor, and teaches bad habits and perhaps a lack of respect for off piste? Who knows, but I see it so regularly with ESF.
ski holidays
I want to take off-piste awareness curse next Feb, ESF any good Oxygene? any suggestions? Thanks a bunch!
ski holidays
kedsky wrote:
off-piste awareness curse
Freudian slip Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After glorious sunshine yesterday (and quiet pistes), today started overcast with empty pistes (where has everyone gone?).
Then an odd period over lunchtime when dark clouds zoomed in promising Big Snow, only to disappear, and be replaced by bright sunshine. This repeated for an hour or so. Most frustrating and confusing.
But now, just after we came back in, the last dark cloud procession has finally delivered, and we have thick swirly snow.
Lets hope it keeps going for a few hours.
ski holidays
@Jonpim, Just what I ordered for our first day tomorrow - all the 'jobs' are now done - we'll drive around to La Roche, hopefully I'll be able to get the car out snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
I’m sure last year the lower villages opened at the same time as the rest of la plagne and it was only the vanoise express that opened a week later. Is this year different and if so is it a one off or how it will be in future. Anyone know?
snow report
@Topperski, This season is the norm, last year was exceptional, but they do experiment, they keep changing the end of season as well as the lift hours - in short, opening the lifts for less hours over the entire season.
latest report

Quite nice out..
Its the usual busy motorway pistes that La Plagne is famous for on here, someone did ski past me when I stopped to take this photo, but that was my wife snowHead
ski holidays
and here is Bellecote this morning, demonstrating, the huge queues and ugly architecture that some snowHeads insist that's is all there is at La Plagne ... Laughing
latest report
Yes, boredsurfin, a simply gorgeous perfect day.
Snowed 15-20cm last niight. Stayed cold.
Lovely soft fluffy snow everywhere. Clear blue cloudless sky until afternoon.
And no one about - most pistes empty.
Bliss.
(Sorry we missed you)

And as you replied to Topperski, last year there was just oodles of snow, so they opened up the links and lower villages early.
This year is the usual arrangement.

And (whispering), the lifty at the top of Inversens said it would definitely open tomorrow - possible open later today.
All that virgin snow either side just waiting for us . . . snowHead
snow conditions
@Jonpim, Cool - I'm itching to get on the new inversens. As we are Belle Plagne based, the new Crozats and Inversens lifts make a huge difference to us. Makes the other side of Arpette ridge really good to ski in now, and a much nicer way up to RDM.
snow conditions
Well, eblunt, its dull and gloomy out there today, and Mrs Jonpim is poorly, so we'll be staying in.

As for the new Inversens making it a much nicer way up to Roche de Mio, i'm not so sure.
Certainly a different way, and variety is good, but its 3 lifts; Arpette, Crozats, Inversens.
The alternative is Blanchettes, Carella: just 2 lifts, a lot quicker, and often less busy.
What i'm looking forward to is the proposed lift going the other way: bottom of Inversens to top of Crozats. That would really open up the whole area.
snow conditions
@Jonpim, Oh no hope Mrs J P isn't too poorly, we are having a day in baking and doing general Christmas prep before going to Geneva tomorrow to collect my girls snowHead
ski holidays
snowing gently now... snowHead
latest report
Flying into Chambery on 26th about 2pm, car hire all sorted, should get into Bellecôte approx 16:00.
Usually ski La Plagne Easter time so really looking forward to this trip.
What’s the likelihood of needing chains? Also which supermarche prior to the climb up the mountain should we look at regarding emergency chains?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy