Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your Favourite Touring Binding?

Poster: A snowHead
@Kelskii, yep, that's the part kit.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dulcamara wrote:
@Sharkymark, hehe actually I meant high cycle but I was running late for the train. Spotted it but thought I could get a way with it.

Usually we don't see many low strain high cycle failures in the solid parts of the bindings due to the loading patterns while skiing being more dominated by sudden impulses and hiking not getting close enough to the required frequencies and cycle counts. The exception being in the springs.

If that makes more sense.

It certainly does!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

@kedsky, Hoji weighs about 50kg and moves like a cat. Not sure how his use of bindings is relevant for someone like me who weighs 90kg+ and moves like an octopus falling out of a tree

ha! Laughing

it's a fair point though
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@davidof, The Dynafit FT12 is what i’ve got on the touring skis - with the super rad grey go faster bit. Bought in 2010. One of the toes seems to not tighten properly. It’s fallen off a few times, usually in touring mode when side stepping or putting some pressure on the toe. That’s with the toe locked. Sounds like I should retire them?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno wrote:
@kedsky, Hoji weighs about 50kg and moves like a cat. Not sure how his use of bindings is relevant for someone like me who weighs 90kg+ and moves like an octopus falling out of a tree NehNeh

Hahaha although this type of modesty is to be frowned on... I think what you meant is that you are the best skier on the mountain!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@BobinCH, naturally, although I have shared a mountain with Hoji a couple of times and I must admit he’s pretty good [/boastpost]
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno wrote:
@BobinCH, naturally, although I have shared a mountain with Hoji a couple of times and I must admit he’s pretty good [/boastpost]

That’s more like it 🤣
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

It’s fallen off a few times, usually in touring mode when side stepping or putting some pressure on the toe. That’s with the toe locked. Sounds like I should retire them?

Could I see the toe piece that is failing and importantly the inserts that you use with them? also is it definitely always the same binding not the same foot (can see what im checking for here of course Very Happy ) I can ask at the returns dept if they can do anything to help.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dulcamara, skis are up in Verbier. Will try and take a video of it next time I’m up there and send it to you. Basically looked like one of the pin arms didn’t close properly leaving it loose. Pretty sure it’s not the boot insert. Thanks for your offer!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jedster wrote:
Quote:

@kedsky, Hoji weighs about 50kg and moves like a cat. Not sure how his use of bindings is relevant for someone like me who weighs 90kg+ and moves like an octopus falling out of a tree

ha! Laughing

it's a fair point though

Very fair point when it comes to Hoji, who is probably the most cat-like skier on the planet. If Cody Townsend feels the need to push Salomon to make a better skiing touring binding, given just how good he his, it's also easy to make the point that it's us worse skiers who need the help of better bindings the most Wink

But comparing people is pretty useless here I feel - it all comes down to individual sensitivity or bio-mechanical differences. Skiing with Dulcarama really has proved to me that some people genuinely can ski tech bindings just as well in varying types of snow, but I think we're fairly similar in terms of ability and I just can't ski as well on tech bindings as I do alpine or frame. If you don't notice the difference you're lucky (!) and probably just can't appreciate that for some of us there really is a material difference (narrowing down the how or why would be really interesting though!).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clarky999 wrote:
Skiing with Dulcarama really has proved to me that some people genuinely can ski tech bindings just as well in varying types of snow, but I think we're fairly similar in terms of ability and I just can't ski as well on tech bindings as I do alpine or frame. If you don't notice the difference you're lucky (!) and probably just can't appreciate that for some of us there really is a material difference (narrowing down the how or why would be really interesting though!).

Suspect this is down to ramp angles, ankle flex etc.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Skiing with Dulcarama really has proved to me that some people genuinely can ski tech bindings just as well in varying types of snow, but I think we're fairly similar in terms of ability and I just can't ski as well on tech bindings as I do alpine or frame. If you don't notice the difference you're lucky (!) and probably just can't appreciate that for some of us there really is a material difference (narrowing down the how or why would be really interesting though!).

Suspect this is down to ramp angles, ankle flex etc.

It's not ramp 'cos I've tried with shims, but yeah, I also suspect my crappy ankle flex has a lot to do with it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Was going to say I know clarky has been on a few different bindings (some artistic license with the similar ability line though NehNeh ) and anyone can just jump on a pair of pin bindings with no delta and see what happens, lots at play, they are stiffer than alpine bindings at the toe, and the pins in the heel can torque a bit that isn't helped by soft shelled boots, same with the floating heel and a generally shorter binding mounting zone etc etc
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ok , finally i decided to go for ATK setup for skimo situations and SHIFT setup for all the rest.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rottefella Freeride .. only thing ive toured on. And did the Millet radonee race at courchevel on them with my lardy k2 vicious much to the amusement of the "light" brigade ... using Freedoms this season .. but may well go to medijo if my son gets his wish for the PDG ... think i need to lose two/three stone rather than spend money saving grammes
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:

This works at both ends of the scale. I can ski tech bindings just as badly in varying types of snow. I genuinely can't tell the difference.
snow report
@Mosha Marc, must be a Calderdale thing as I am just the same.

The only difference I notice with any bindings is my knees. I have 2 pairs of skis with Beast bindings and 2 pairs with Dynafit Superlite bindings. My knees often ache after skiing with the Superlites. I am guessing that it is something to do with the elasticity of the Beasts.
snow conditions
Anyone tried the Marker Alpinist downhill yet as they are new out this Autumn aren’t they?
latest report
As the ski touring season has already started for some jack russels, it's time to bump up this thread.

Which bindings are still having issues and are best avoided ?

Have known problems been sorted? (e.g. Marker Kingpin recalls, Fritschi Vipec worn pins, etc)

Any good group touring binding comparisons around? e.g.
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/snow-sports/best-at-bindings

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 26-11-19 0:13; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
ATK is amazing high end binding!
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Which bindings are still having issues and are best avoided ?

My personal opinion... anything what starts with Marker is best to be avoided. Every single thing I used is so low quality that I feel sorry for anyone who is actually paying for their products.
Btw... if anyone wants to buy, I have brand new Marker Baron to sell Toofy Grin used 3 or 4 times only, and then taken off and replaced by Dynafit Speed turn, which holds pretty nicely, even if I still didn't decide yet if I trust those 2 screws and 3 wires smoldered together, or not. Toofy Grin

kedsky wrote:
ATK is amazing high end binding!

Also for amazingly high end price, and for that price I would expect amazing high end binding, not pretty good binding with quite few issues. But yes, it's pretty damn good one otherwise Smile
snow report
Super impressed with Shift, both up and down. I like my Marker Griffon 13’s on Freeride skis.

And local (good) shop guy suggested Fritschi Xenic, over Marker Alpinist or ATK options. He was particularly scathing about ATK release, saying in their tests, whatever they dialed the DIN up to it still released around 8. Make of that what you will...
snow report
Seems to be almost to much choice, I have decided to ditch my old Marker tour 12 frames this season and opt for a pin binding but have been looking at the 'halfway house' option of either kingpins or the Tecton 12 , having now decided on the Tectons.
Having suffered a broken hip (mountain biking) and ankle (work) in 2018 the main deciding factor has been the claimed safety aspect of the Tectons , adjustable din and the 'elasticity' makes sense. Fritschi seem to make a big play of this whereas Marker not so much !

I figure I am cutting half a kg per leg with the bindings and getting the advantage of the pin pivot for skinning up , also shedding weight with Scott touring boots 0.9kg /leg all attached to Navis Freebirds which I hope will give me a good one ski quiver for a good few years to come. Very Happy

If I find I cant ski in them watch out in classifieds rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy