Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which ski out of these?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi I am 186cm talk and 90kg intermediate to advanced. I have the choice and narrowed down to the following skis which I have or could agree a price on and all within £10.00 of each other.
Now I need some input from others that have more experience.

New skis Rossi S7 188cm
SH Rossi Soul 7 ( +needs a bit love to the base so that’s an extra cost) 188cm
SH Armada TST travis steeger 181cm
New Salomon RCKR 100 178CM
New Rossi SIN7 ( this is plus 50.00) 180cm

Any advise very welcome Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well I'd take new over used for a start. As for which one, your choice really.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the blue one!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The RCKR @ 100 underfoot would be my pick, hands down - if these are new let me know where you've found them!! - and could easily be a one ski quiver. The Rossi I don't believe will deliver as well outside of powder. The RCKR's are such a playful ski. I can't wait to get mine out!

The TST should be a good alternative to that, however it does lean more towards a powder ski and you may struggle a little to get a good performance on piste.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The shop was leaning me towards the RCKR . I thought it looked a little short at 178 though . I think there are two there. I’m going back to get my daughter boot fitted later I’ll check
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Glisshop has the rocker2 100 in 186cm at 40% off

https://www.glisshop.co.uk/alpine_ski/salomon/rocker2_100-92369.html

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 26-01-18 18:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bigtoe,
I think it's too short for you - rockered ski like this should be head height plus.
I'm 176cm and 78kg and I ski 186 and 180 in my two soft snow skis. 180 feels quite short.
I'd probably go for the S7
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bigtoe, As above go for new and not second hand esp if needs base treatment as a service will add a cost

Of those I have skied S7 in that size 188cm and its an easy powder ski, turns on a sixpence, not really a charging ski, skis short for 188 on piste, but flaps a bit, but in powder they are superb, just don't really like a backseat driver as the tail is soft.

Also skied the sin 7, well my daughter does and i have borrowed them, not really a powder ski like s7, more soft all mountain, they are fun in bumps, tips flap alot on piste, she skis them in 180cm and is alot lighter then you, you would find them a bit short.

Have only skied the rocker 100 for a hour or so, at 178cm, bit short as a powder ski if that is what you want? they were ok, but prefered my s3's as I wanted a good bump ski and the s3's were better at that, just not as good on piste as the rocker 100 (which as far as I remember was not very rockered compared to the s3)

For a powder ski I would go the new s7's (which are a bit rare new?)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looking to ski off piste or bumps?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi chaps , many thanks for all above.
I have a piste ski, Volkl AC2 which I really enjoy ( yes I know All Conditions ! ) which I have used everywhere on the mountain.
This year I have some off piste lessons booked for my daughter and myself together, so because of this I got her some Scott Luna skis ( she is 14) and thought I would treat myself to something that will work of piste.
@under a new name, so I guess that means off piste. Although as every one says it still needs to be used on the piste. Plus something quite easy to turn in the bumps is good. Although I don't need a one ski quiver it would be nice if it wasn't flapping around whilst I'm carving. I do like to carve🤛.
The Armada TST I'm told is more ridged on piste than the JJ's I haven't skied either so can't judge.
The shop also said go for the 7 Soul as it was better on piste than the S7 and Sin and RCKR . The chap said it was a dream of a ski. Cheers
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The last 3 are all too short for you like Jedster says. Is New skis Rossi S7 188cm New Old Stock or the new Soul 7 HD??
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's a new old stock S7 @mishmash, not a Soul 7
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bigtoe wrote:
It's a new old stock S7 @mishmash, not a Soul 7

I haven't skied that but I recall the feedback was that it was properly stiff and therefore somewhat more unforgiving. The 1st Yellow iteration of the Soul 7 was a little too soft for some and had been stiffened up in the HD version and the latest blacker version.

Its a shame that you aren't seeing the Sin 7 which a number of my mates are really enjoying as an all mountain soft snow bias ski for the advanced skier.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mishmash, The one word I would not use to describe an old model s7 is stiff! It was a soft powder ski, that flapped quite a bit on piste, and did not like crud much, they were softer than the original soul 7, and quite a different shape to them. They were great in deep snow trees and tight situations, but if it was cruddy or really heavy not so good and they had a very real speed limit and the tail was a bit too soft, they were ok in bumps, not as good as s3, I loved mine, but the limitations meant they did not get used that much, so got sold, but they would have been really very good last week in the grand massif trees.

There were other models in the range that were same shape, but got progressively stiffer, super 7 being one.

This describes them well

https://201tube.com/video/HkKNm4vlvRc

@bigtoe, these would probably be better than all your choices above

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=135577

&
http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2012-2013-line-sir-francis-bacon
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Zorrac, thanks I have just sent a PM to him about the SFB
snow report
Do you like short skis though? I’m 183cm and got 188 Soul 7s a few years ago, and in retrospect which I’d gotten the 180s instead. They might ski short but that doesn’t really help in trees, side-slipping through tight gaps, or kick turns. I’m now of the opinion that if manufacturers felt this kind of ski should be taller than the skier they’d probably make longer ones for anyone above 6’2”.
snow conditions
@Steve77, I have to agree with you there. I ski 177cm at the mo and was thinking longer ones are going to be tricky in the situations you just mentioned. Especially how my daughter loves to get onto the mogul runs! The ski shop went straight to the 180 length again last night , whilst I said I was looking for the next size, he said they would work for me. Put a set of 187 next to me and they felt so tall. But said I would just have to work them harder.
It's so much easier not having to make a decision you know 😂
snow report
@bigtoe, One thing to remember not all manufacturers measuring sticks are the same! the 184cm Line sfb actually measure 180.5cm according to the blister article and my old 188cm s7 measured 184cm and my 177cm s3 measure 175cm........
ski holidays
@Zorrac, yes as i said its not easy!!maybe the SFB seller will come back to me and choice may be made. I have emailed on a soul 7 HD Konect in France to see if i can get them here in time or if not maybe they can deliver to an address out there. But that will be nerve wracking in case they are not at the place we are staying in Le Bourg when we get there.
snow report
Yeah the way I think of it is that Rossignol also make clothes, but if you asked which size jacket to buy people wouldn’t say “Oh you’re 6’1”? Better get the absolutely largest one they make.”
snow conditions
@Steve77, How do you like the soul 7s though ? did you get HD or prior.
ski holidays
Zorrac wrote:
@mishmash, The one word I would not use to describe an old model s7 is stiff! It was a soft powder ski, that flapped quite a bit on piste, and did not like crud much, they were softer than the original soul 7, and quite a different shape to them. They were great in deep snow trees and tight situations, but if it was cruddy or really heavy not so good and they had a very real speed limit and the tail was a bit too soft, they were ok in bumps, not as good as s3, I loved mine, but the limitations meant they did not get used that much, so got sold, but they would have been really very good last week in the grand massif trees.

There were other models in the range that were same shape, but got progressively stiffer, super 7 being one.

This describes them well

https://201tube.com/video/HkKNm4vlvRc

@bigtoe, these would probably be better than all your choices above

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=135577

&
http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2012-2013-line-sir-francis-bacon

Fair enough !!
snow report
The ones I got were the originals so probably a bit different, but I’ve had some great days on them so wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them
latest report
@Steve77, Ok thanks
latest report
I've got a pair of the Soul7 HD and really like them. Hold a good edge on anything but ice and great in crust, crud and powder. Got 180s and I'm 183cm and 95kg. But I am getting old.
ski holidays
@Sarge McSarge,thanks
snow conditions
Well decision made Rossignol 188 Soul 7 HD Very Happy
snow conditions
Just on length and trees and tight spots, do remember that the running length of rockered skis tends to be quite short compared to traditional skis.
Just FYI these skis in my cave are listed in order of effective edge length LONGEST first
2005 Stockli Stormrider XL 174cm
2010 Line Prophet 100 179cm
2015 Whitedot Ranger 108 CL 186cm
2014 Whitedot Redeemer 180cm

Actually the prophets have almost the same running length as the Stocklis - neither are rockered but the lines have a twin tip.
The two longer skis, with rockers, have the shortest running length.
The easiest skis to manouvre in the trees are the Redeemers then the Rangers - despite the length.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Soul 7 HD is probably a good call for a first powder ski. Of others mentioned in this thread I love my Line SFBs (2012/13 108 width version) as a playful off-piste tool that can carve pretty effectively too (as long as the conditions are reasonably soft).
ski holidays
@jedster, I went from 186 cm Line Prophet 100s to 184 cm SFBs a few years back and found the SFBs a lot easier to work in tight trees and carving short radius turns on piste. The Prophets seemed more locked in their trenches, but great fun carving huge arcs down a soft piste. I sold the Prophets after the first week on SFBs and still own them today (2012 version).
latest report
Yep Prophets have a big fully shaped tail so when you have them on edge they don't want to let go - certainly not as easy to drift and pivot as rockered skis. I'd imagine the 186 is a bit of a handful to be honest. Haven't skied my 179s in a couple of years but they are 18m radius so reasonably sensible on normal pistes.
snow report
jedster wrote:
Yep Prophets have a big fully shaped tail so when you have them on edge they don't want to let go - certainly not as easy to drift and pivot as rockered skis. I'd imagine the 186 is a bit of a handful to be honest. Haven't skied my 179s in a couple of years but they are 18m radius so reasonably sensible on normal pistes.

186 Prophets were fine, but I'm 6'1" and 88 kg, so about perfect for me. The 184 SFB is perhaps a little on the short side for me, but they are great in tight trees and huge fun in any soft snow. I just found them a lot more versatile than the Prophets, which basically felt like a wide GS ski. SFBs still carve nicely on piste, but much easier to drift/pivot on demand. I've kind of gravitated more to that style of skiing anyway rather than full on pure carving (my knees are thankful for that choice too!). I used my SFBs for pretty much everything for several seasons, but I would put them away if conditions got icy. What I like about the SFB is that it's quite a sensible shape overall i.e. decent camber underfoot, modest tip taper and fairly subtle early rise and tail rocker. Also has a nice even flex pattern. The current slightly lighter, narrower version looks nice too. I've always been curious about the Soul 7, but it looks a bit flappy to me with more rocker than I think I need. I know they tried to improve its piste performance with the HD version, but they didn't appear to get it right first time.
snow report
Quote:

I've kind of gravitated more to that style of skiing anyway rather than full on pure carving (my knees are thankful for that choice too!)

Carving fatter skis IS tough on the knees I think. Real GS skis are narrower for a reason!
snow conditions
jedster wrote:
Quote:

I've kind of gravitated more to that style of skiing anyway rather than full on pure carving (my knees are thankful for that choice too!)

Carving fatter skis IS tough on the knees I think. Real GS skis are narrower for a reason!

Yeah, that's a very good point. Going back maybe the best part of a decade when I was still going for maximum edge angles on piste and starting to experiment with ever wider skis I used to get quite a bit of knee pain after 2 or 3 solid weeks. Now I've morphed my style into something a bit more surfy I don't get any knee pain at all, even after a solid month of skiing. I do also have a pair of narrow piste carvers, but I rarely use them now.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy