Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My biggest 95ish ski dilemma

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all!
To make a long story short, after hours and hours of checking reviews online, I am completely confused.

To give you a bit of a background - I am a skier in Europe (mainly Austria/Italy) where we have a mix of almost all types of terrain. I currently have a pair of 2015/16 Fischer RC4 RC race/gs skis, which I would never sell, but I find to be too stiff for me, I go out of balance easy and can really enjoy them only on perfect hard/icy groomers (on that they are brutal).

I’m going to a weekly ski vacation soon and definitely need to buy a second pair to go along the RC4s. I think I will mainly use my new skis and grab the RC4s only if I know I’ll get a good and hard on-piste experience.

After lots of thinking I am down to:

2018 K2 Pinnacle 95 or
2018 Fisher Ranger 98 Ti.

I figured out I want to try some All-mountain skis, but something more freestyle, like the two skis mentioned above.

Since powder is not my stuff, I only need something that will will manage powder, but be good in bumpy off-piste/afternoon soft snow conditions.

The Pinnacle 95 were changed since last year and now I see that they handle piste/hard snow a bit better (mainly moved from 10/90 to 20/80 on/off-piste ratio).

I will mention the term All-mountain again, since I also want the skis to be decent on hard morning groomers.
I kinda feel that the Fischers will give more edge prefomance and thats why I am considering it. Also I feel that Fischer used better materials in the Ranger 98 and am not sure about the K2s quality, since they are made in China.

Both skis will preform similar on other conditions (at least thats what I have red online.
I can get them for the same price.

I am a 191cm, 78kg. Would rate my ski skills with 6,5-7 ot of 10. Both Ranger and Pinnacle skis are not so stiff and seem to be playful and forgiving, so I guess they will be perfect.

Please, if you have any of the skis above or heard something about them or can just comment on my dilema, do it!

Sorry for the long Shocked Shocked post, thanks for your time!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like you want to buy the Rangers but are looking for some reassurance. Listen to this (around 25:21), It will provide all the reassurance you need...

http://blistergearreview.com/podcasts/black-sheep-sports-sebastian-steinbach-ep-6

(It's an interview with the owner of Black Sheep Sports, he starts off by talking about what kind of skis work best in European snow, then goes on to say how great he thinks the Ranger is, even though it doesn't fit with the cool, indie brand ethos of his shop).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey, I just listened to it. Thanks very much!

Actually its the other way around. I want to buy the K2 (feeling that Rangers will hold better since Fischer makes really stiff skis with edge control as a main attribute) and need reassurance for them more.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi @cukieee, to add another option, have you considered Scott Slight93s? I wasn't really looking for new skis when I was trying out different pairs at last year's EoSB and the Hemel Oktobertest but I kept coming back to them. Needless to say, I bought some and used them over last Xmas in Val d'Isere. At 180cm long they're 95mm underfoot. They seem to cope really well with the full range of conditions between rock-hard groomers 1st thing mid-winter to the end-of-the-day Easter mush.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think those are both good AM options and the 2018 Pinnacle is getting rave reviews everywhere. But if powder isn't your thing and you want something to smash through crud and chop, then it's hard to look past the Volkl Mantra or Blizzard Bonafide. The current Mantra is possibly a bit wider than you need and has slight reverse camber for off-piste user-friendliness - but can still certainly hold an edge on piste better than most other AM skis. Next year's Mantra is going to be a little narrower and back to camber underfoot, so probably ideal for what you are asking for. But the current Bonafide (tweaked from last season with a more user-friendly profile and flex) would fit that bill perfectly too. I don't know much about the Ranger, but seems to score well in reviews.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Then there's the new Head Kore 93 and Nordica Enforcer 93 to throw in the mix! Unless you can demo, you're just guessing which you would prefer anyway as these are all great skis that can work all over the mountain. Again if not focusing on powder, the stiffer slightly narrower end of the AM spectrum is probably where you want to be. Then you have to decide if you prefer lightweight poppy skis vs heavy damp. It's not easy to choose without trying a few options, especially if new to AM skis.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You mentioned freestyle, none of the skis you mentioned will be appropriate or useful if this is one of your goals.

If this is the case, look towards a fairly stiff all mountain twin tip, depending on the design they should work well all over the mountain.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the_doc wrote:
You mentioned freestyle, none of the skis you mentioned will be appropriate or useful if this is one of your goals.

If this is the case, look towards a fairly stiff all mountain twin tip, depending on the design they should work well all over the mountain.

Hey, thanks for the answer. I think I meant freeride!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
uktrailmonster wrote:
Then there's the new Head Kore 93 and Nordica Enforcer 93 to throw in the mix! Unless you can demo, you're just guessing which you would prefer anyway as these are all great skis that can work all over the mountain. Again if not focusing on powder, the stiffer slightly narrower end of the AM spectrum is probably where you want to be. Then you have to decide if you prefer lightweight poppy skis vs heavy damp. It's not easy to choose without trying a few options, especially if new to AM skis.

Hey, of course I looked at Head and Nordica choices. I was spotting on the Kore 93, but its out of stock already (or its noticeably pricier).

I forgot about the Enforcer/Kore 93 mainly because they are stiffer skis, suitable for advanced/expert skiers. I would be able to handle them quite well, but since I already have the RC4s, I am looking for something more forgiving.

Since the RC4 I have is a very good on-piste ski, I am going for the 90-100mm range - it makes no sense to pick a all-mountain ski, that won't be better on-piste than the Fischer skis I already have and still not decent in powder (I'm not focused for powder, but since I get a 2nd pair it makes sense to be usable in powder).

Thanks for the response!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitedot R.98 trad or Scott Slight 93
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"Since powder is not my stuff, I only need something that will will manage powder, but be good in bumpy off-piste/afternoon soft snow conditions."

I read this ^ as you primarily needing something that will cut through all the chopped up snow without getting deflected too much. The more forgiving, lighter, softer AM skis tend not to be the best crud-busters. All these AM skis will ride fresh powder infinitely better than your RC4s, so I wouldn't worry about that ideal condition too much. It's the messed up snow that causes problems and where the likes of the Mantra, Bonafide and Enforcers really shine. You presume that they won't be better than your RC4s on piste, but they will be if that piste is chopped up after a recent snowfall. Even on a soft freshly groomed piste you will probably still prefer them. Your RC4s will become your icy piste scrapers.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have the Fisher Ranger 98's but the 2016 model. I am a similar height but a bit lighter than you and so didn't want a very stiff ski and they seemed to fit the bill. I also like more light and manoeuvrable skis. I find them good in variable conditions (which in Europe most of the time is what you get!) but I wouldn't like to use them on hard morning groomed runs that much but I predominantly use them off piste so can't give an accurate review of their piste performance. Haven't tried them in deep powder as I haven't had the chance however in a few inches of power, they work well for me. I would use something wider I think if the opportunity arose but would like to try them! Are also fairly light for a freeride ski so sidecountry tours etc aren't a problem either.

Did consider the Pinnacle 95's but got a better deal on the rangers and also liked the slight increase in width and low weight
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you aren't looking for a powder ski try the Atomic Vantage Cti90 Very good all mountain ski,
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cukieee wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:

I forgot about the Enforcer/Kore 93 mainly because they are stiffer skis, suitable for advanced/expert skiers. I would be able to handle them quite well, but since I already have the RC4s, I am looking for something more forgiving.

Since the RC4 I have is a very good on-piste ski, I am going for the 90-100mm range - it makes no sense to pick a all-mountain ski, that won't be better on-piste than the Fischer skis I already have and still not decent in powder (I'm not focused for powder, but since I get a 2nd pair it makes sense to be usable in powder).

Actually the Enforcer (and particularly the Kore) aren't really that stiff - probably less stiff than the Ranger (though I haven't skied the Ranger).

Personally I think the Enforcer 100 is the best mid-fat all mountain ski around atm. Super smooth, stable and damp without being too stiff and hard work. Pretty perfect fit for what you're looking for I think.

Could also try and find a pair of Nordica Soul Riders. Very likely the Enforcer but no metal and with a twin tip - softer and more playful but still hold a great carve on piste.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy