Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Weather Apps/Sites

Poster: A snowHead
What are the best weather apps/sites out there for the Alps (and US)? When I went to Warth over Xmas both Apple and Dark Sky turned out to junk, any good alternatives?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends where you are. Anything that claims to be global is probably junk. In Switzerland the MeteoSwiss app is pretty accurate. Other countries will have their own I guess.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
telford_mike wrote:
Depends where you are. Anything that claims to be global is probably junk. In Switzerland the MeteoSwiss app is pretty accurate. Other countries will have their own I guess.

Ok thanks. Thoughts on Bergfex?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bergfex snow forecasts are very optimistic.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
musher wrote:
Bergfex snow forecasts are very optimistic.

How much optimistic? So much that they're worthless?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
yr.no
iski apps are usefull as they have weather + ski trails
snow-forecast & mountain-forecast websites
wxcharts.eu
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@südtirolistdeutsch,
In my experience when they forecast snow next week it only happens about 50% of the time, and you only get half of what is forecast. If they forecast snow tomorrow it will happen, just not as much as they say. So not dissimilar to any optimistic weather forecast really. Still there is plenty of other useful stuff on the site.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Really like Windy.com, overlays are rather fun...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowheads and specifically this thread for overall weather forecasts http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=132215
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for MeteoSwiss in Switzerland: This is configurable in terms of preferred locations and you can set automated alerts based on different criteria. The rainfall animation gives a good picture of current conditions and up to 48 hrs ahead.

and MeteoFrance in France. Like the Met Office, these are the organisations that collect the base data anyway, so I think it's worth going to the original provider. Everyone else is just getting fed the same info.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Meteo France app also gives you the official daily avalanche risk charts and narrative, area by area.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They're all pointless more than 3 days out

I find wepowder superb, and he only commits to specifics about 3 days out. He interprets the data and combines it with local knowledge of resorts and micro weather conditions particular to regions and valleys, and in my experience has been uncannily accurate, whereas the other sites just puke out the models, not to say that can't be reasonably accurate
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Did anyone forecast a 5 year thread resurrection?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I found Meteo France was incredibly accurate over the last few weeks, pre and during our trip to Val Thorens.

Both on the dates/timing of precipitation and daily temperatures.

Snow-Forecast and BBC (Meteo Group?) for some reason were way off the mark. Genuinely I saw +20c daily maxima on BBC several times, you could knock 15c from that.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Snow&skifan,
BBC and France Meteo, like many general and national weather forecasters, fail to take the altitude into account for temperatures. They're showing a forecast for the area, not your specific location even if they seem to say otherwise.

So here I know that most weather apps will be about right down in the valley, but we need to subtract about 8 degrees to estimate what it is here (rule of thumb is a one degree drop per 100m altitude, we're 800m higher than the valley).

MeteoSuisse is an exception to that rule, but of course not as good for the actual mountain forecast as snow-forecast, bergfex and the like,
ski holidays
What you really need to do is follow someone who interprets all the various computer models and then makes an educated prediction on the back of these . As @8611, says anything three days out is fairly pointless but you can spot trends . When I go to the French alps which I do regularly I take information from these

Meteo Tarentaise , posts on Facebook and is now currently installing a network of temperature gauges across the area at various heights to help , doesn’t do long term .

@chocksaway on the Tignes /Val thread he obviously has a meteorological back ground and very kindly posts most days a forecast on this thread .

https://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/morning/5_days_weather_forecast.php
Very good high mountain forecast for Cham

France Meteo but the long range seems to just use the GFS model

We powder is another one but I tend not to follow them because it’s the same as the others above .

And I particularly like this https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/precipitations/3h.htm which is the rainfall model of the GFS model . I like this for trying to get a feel long term .

In the uk I follow https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/. Brian Gaze is very good and various other amateurs forecasters on Twitter .

The general theme is I glean all my information from mostly amateurs who like to post and do the legwork for me .
latest report
Ps and on snowheads the weather outlook thread and @polo on the Avoriaz thread
snow report
Bergfex gets it right most of the time, at least in Austria & Bavaria
latest report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
@Snow&skifan,
BBC and France Meteo, like many general and national weather forecasters, fail to take the altitude into account for temperatures. They're showing a forecast for the area, not your specific location even if they seem to say otherwise.

So here I know that most weather apps will be about right down in the valley, but we need to subtract about 8 degrees to estimate what it is here (rule of thumb is a one degree drop per 100m altitude, we're 800m higher than the valley).

MeteoSuisse is an exception to that rule, but of course not as good for the actual mountain forecast as snow-forecast, bergfex and the like,

Interesting. I studied geography, with a special interest in climate, it was and is always stated that air temperature falls by an average 1c per 150m. Obviously ignoring temperature inversions.

Your real world knowledge rings true in the mountain settings you know well. We arrived in Moutiers on the 2 April where the transport thermometer showed +11.5c, by the time we reached the lowest part of Val Thorens where we were staying 30 minutes later, it was -2.5c.

Snow cover, aspect and other microclimate attributes come into play.
snow conditions
@Chaletbeauroc, if you look around there are weather apps that give predictions for various altitudes in a resort.

And @Snow&skifan, that old addage of 1c per 150m is complete bollox as I've found out over the years living at 1,400m and I've wished it was not the case so often as well !

I like lookoutthewindow.com followed by gobacktobed.com which has been the case the last couple of days Laughing

This time of year as we're now into the Spring ski-touring season weather is even more important*, and I end up looking at a whole load but at the end of the day, it's get up early look out the window and at the thermometer and maybe a cloud radar app.

Last evening was really strange as we had nigh on heavy rain and no weather app site had that and even one radar app was wrong as well, the only one that was right was the site @Rob Mackley, uses as well.

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/precipitations/3h.htm

*all important freeze/melt cycle and snow transforming
snow report
As @Weathercam, says it’s look out the window and watch the radars , interestingly the local amateur site to my area in France Meteo Tarentaise posted on his Facebook this morning the timetable of precipitation , expected amounts and rain/snow levels for the latest episode arriving this afternoon and evening in the Tarentaise . He’s just posted a couple of hours ago that the first phase has been delayed two hours it just goes to show that even in a day the forecast can change .
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy