Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Replacing a big mountain ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I just ripped out the edge off my Volkl Mantra 110 between toe and heel binding. Not sure how, but think it may have been jumping into Whistler Bowl onto a piece of ice. Second time I've broken the edge on a pair of Mantra, and am not going to replace them. So the question is what to get instead. I went into the demo shop (Spicy sports) in the village and took out a pair of 4Frnt Kye95s, at which point it started to snow. They were skittish and unstable and after a day on them I swapped them over for a pair of Kye110. By this time we'd had 6" of fresh, and got another foot overnight. the Kye110s were amazing - hard, fast, big mountain ski, very stable, able to charge anything I found. To be fair there was a lot of fresh but underneath it was hard pack, and the skis handled everything fine. Took them into steeps, bumps, trees, launched a few small rocks (2-3m max), and they absolutely rocked. However, have now handed them back, and need to make a decision about upcoming skis, so what does everyone think?

My normal season is a week in St Anton charging hard, a week ski touring hut to hut through the Alps, a few days at Alta in whatever conditions are there, and maybe a week in either North America or Europe, depending on work. I'm normally skiing off piste (steeps, couloirs and powder when I'm lucky, otherwise loose, crust, crud, debris, chopped and frozen crap), and the occasional corduroy morning warm up. I don't seek out mogul runs anymore (too old for that), but will deal with them hard and fast when they're there, and when not touring, will find routes that sometimes require mandatory air. I don't do tricks, park, or aerials. Have previously demoed Armada JJs, Nordica Enforcers and Stockli Stormriders for downhill and Head Movement and K2 Waybackers for touring, and would like something I can do both on.

Any thoughts, snowheads?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So seeing as somebody else will no doubt say it... have you auditioned or considered the Whitedot Ranger R.108 or Ragnarok (118)?

Excellent reputation in touring (and available as carbon), downhill and on piste. For what you're asking I think they'd both be a good fit.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@couloirjunkie, I didn’t know there was a 110 Mantra?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In favour of Whitedot Rangers,the pictured damage hit a previous edge repair. The metalwork held.

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:

learn something new every day Toofy Grin Probably a typo tbh.
Wonder why he just doesn't replace em, not the skis fault the edge tore out, given the punishment.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you want to tour on them too: http://www.downskis.com/shop/countdown-114l-2017

If you'll use a different pair for touring then: http://www.downskis.com/shop/countdown-114-2017

I have the metal version of the same from a couple of seasons ago and just low how versatile they are. Stable and damp, but the long low rocker means they pivot and starve really well too when it gets tight.

Keep an eye out to see what Mickäel Bimboes does on the regular version on the FWT this year...

https://www.facebook.com/FreerideWorldQualifier/videos/858594020960764/

Otherwise check out the Moment Bibby Pro. My set died a few years back, but they're a really great ski.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bones wrote:
under a new name wrote:

learn something new every day Toofy Grin Probably a typo tbh.
Wonder why he just doesn't replace em, not the skis fault the edge tore out, given the punishment.

Yep typo. 100s. Once isn't the ski's fault, but twice? Also my nephew had the same problem with his Mantras last eyar in St Anton. methinks a design flaw?[/img]
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@couloirjunkie,
Perhaps a dumb question, but why don't you want to buy the 4FRNT ones you demoed and loved?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not sure if they are too heavy, or if there’s a better ski out there? Also the Kye110 have been replaced by uptrack col, so maybe different.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I doubt you will find one pair of skis to do both touring and offpiste charging anywhere near as well as a two pair quiver (i.e. dedicated touring setup and the Mantra/Kye110).
The Kye110's are over 2kg per Ski (188cm). If you have a frame touring binding and freeride boots that is going to add more weight. Your setup could easily be 2 kg per foot more. As a rule of thumb 1 kg on your foot is like 7kg on your back (i.e. 28 kg).
If you only do one week touring a year (esp. hut to hut) probably best to go for something like the Kye110 and rent a touring setup.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy