Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Big Pow Skis - What you using?

Poster: A snowHead
So am thinking of getting a pair of dedicated pow skis, have tended to ski on 110-115mm width but want something wider at 120mm + rockered for pow fun.

Skis on the Radar:

1. Black Crows Nocta 190cm
2. Volkl Two 186cm - few seasons old but can get a good deal
3. DPS 124 Spoon 191cm

I don't want a short radius noodle like a JJ, needs to be around 25m turn radius.

Want a full rocker with reverse camber for max powder fun, anyone got experience of the skis above or can recommend anything else?

Cheers, and Happy New Year

Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@interpaul, I'm a DPS powder ski junkie, and have Lotus 124 in 185, Lotus 120 in 189 and Spoons in 190, and my 'narrow' Wailer 112's.

The Lotus 124 is flat based with relatively low rockers and minimal spoon shaping at the tip. In my view they ski like a big Wailer 112, and with the central mount position are easy to turn. They are easily the most versatile of the DPS Lotus/Spoon ski range, handling most conditions well, and its a given that they are great in powder.

The Lotus 120, which is actually a 122 underfoot, is probably the least versatile of the 3, with only a tip rocker (which has more spoon shaping than the 124), and a flat tail. They excel in powder, but suffer elsewhere, but that might just be my lack of talent.

The Spoon 150, is fully rocker'd with only the binding mount area being flat (maybe 40cm). The very short running edge makes them easy to pivot in powder and you can turn with your ankles. On piste you can spin 360's when standing still. They are stiff tip to tail and side to side, which makes them a handful in crud and bumps, as they try and follow every camber. Having said that you can carve them down a decent piste, and I skied them every day in Japan for 2 weeks Cool
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@PowderAdict, Thanks, DPS are just so £££ - pretty much double the price of the NOCTA. I can also get Volk Two for around £300

I am confused by the Foundation Lotus https://www.dpsskis.com/lotus-f124a-11 is this just a cheaper built version of the ski?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just replaced my Down Skis Countdown 114 with a pair of Atomic Bent Chetler 192 at 120 wide.
Delighted with them, great fun and cut through chopped up off piste easily. They turn easily and float better than the Downs.
Only negative is they seem to attract interest at restaurant stops so a lock is definitely needed. I bought from Atomic direct with 50% off for the 2016 ski.
Just need to sell my Downs now.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Foundation series, used to be called the Hybrid series, they are the same shape and length as the Pure or Alchemist series. However, they contain less carbon in the construction and are damper and slightly heavier.

DPS are expensive, however they can be picked up slightly cheaper, especially in DPS's Dreamtime event in July every year. They also turn up on eBay quite regularly.

PM @BobinCH has he recently got a deal on Lotus 124's, and seems to like them.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@interpaul, as per @PowderAdict, I got a pair of 185 Lotus 124 Alchemists in the Sport Conrad Black Friday sale. They’re excellent off piste in powder and good in the current heavy porridge despite not being fully rockered. Also surprisingly good on piste. Quite stiff with the carbon And better at speed than the 112 Hybrids i’ve Got but still easy to ski. The light weight is a joy over my old 193 Volkl Shiros
If you’re on Facebook There’s a pair of 189 Lotus 120’s mounted with Kingpin 13’s for 799chf on Verbier Swap shop https://www.facebook.com/groups/142893955815894/permalink/1297921590313119/?sale_post_id=1297921590313119
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a pair of Liberty Genomes from 2012, which are 141 under the boot. Pretty flat under foot and massive rocker both ends. Keep thinking of getting rid of them as they are by no means an all Mountain ski, but then I take them out in the fresh and they earn their place in the cellar for another year...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just bought a set of Noctas in the New Year day sales- now dilemma is mounting point as I only ski forwards Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I tested a few fat skis but also ended up with Bents. They are actually really good for all sorts of conditions, even piste skiing but in powder they are so playful and quick to turn. For the past 6 weeks they have been my default ski unless I have been skiing purely on piste.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Big powder days, K2 Pettitor, anything else Atomic Automatic 117, much more versatile than the Pettitor, but lacks support in the tail compared to the K2 for landing jumps, if they ever break I'd get the same again, new model is the Backland 117 now.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Loving my DPS WaIler RPC 2 . 115 underfoot, bit less turny than the regular 112.

Been on my WD redeemer c/lites- excellent big mountain, surprisingly good in tighter spots but no fun on piste compared to the wailers. I d take them out if the big faces become stable here.

Got some Volkl BMT 122s to try but haven’t had a chance yet!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I also have redeemers. @mishmash's comments are right although I'm sure he is talking about 190s. I could only get a cheap deal on 180s and I'd describe them as good big mountain, absurdly maneuverable in tighter spots but no fun on piste. Fabulous tree ski.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm lucky enough to have a powder day ski choice dilemma. Whitedot Redeemer CLs or Whitedot Ragnarok CLs.
They are very different skis and I like them for different reasons.
I find the Redeemer is easy going, funky geometry works well in funky snow, has an autoland feature I think wink, and as noted above great for trees and tight spots.
Ragnarok is a bit more of a more you put in the more you get out kind of ski, super stable no matter what you are blasting through, and very rewarding. More conventional shaped and rockered/cambered, means its not quite so pivoty, but is more stable accordingly, but a bit narrower so still quite maneuverable for a big ski. In the Whistler race to the powder last weekend, these were the skis to be on.

If Whitedot made a Redeemer-Ragnorok lovechild it would be the ultimate off-piste weapon Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stuarth, I loved the Ragnarok when I tested it at the EoSB, it was a surprisingly fun ski and could cut a slushy mogul in half Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Noctas here - love them Happy

Although if you tend to ski 110-115mm as an everyday then I'm not sure i'd see a need unless you ski Japan or somewhere similar on a very regular basis...
ski holidays
@stuarth, have you tried Directors? Whilst it's a bit softer (so may not suit you in that respect... I ski Ragnarok Trads and the Directors are way too bendy for me) the shape of the Directors is a bit less of a reverse camber than the Redeemer. I mean to put it one way, people seem to find the director way more manageable on pistes than Redeemers which are purely for deep powder! It's a really popular ski amongst snowHead
snow report
@dp, Madeye-Smiley
I've skied gs on my redeemers (successfully in as much as I got round all the gates with at least some kind of speed) so can get by on piste with them, I'm not tangowaggon! wink
That said, today's ski of choice will be Directors, they are my monkeying around skiing with my (5yo) daughter skis - though she rips now so less monkeying to do Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Do you have redeemer CLs, ragnarok CLs and directors?

Man, I thought I had a problem and I've only got Rag Trads and Preachers!
ski holidays
Try and guess what my touring skis are? wink
ski holidays
oh dear oh dear... 98 or 108?

I might be heading down that slippery slope too I think, got a demo lined up for some 98s next week in Cham Shocked
snow conditions
108 (CL- of course) Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Of course Madeye-Smiley

Although I like to think that's just because not everyone is man enough for trads, it's not that I'm too skint to buy the CLs...
snow conditions
@stuarth, agghh , i thought i as the only one touring in whistler on ranger 108 cl's !@#$%^&
and directors for revelstoke Cool just might need to add something fatter for eagle heli Toofy Grin
snow conditions
BMT 109's.

Oh..hang on!

wink
ski holidays
@stuarth, I am in the same boat as you! I tour and do big powder days on my Director cls, but as the are just so light and nimble if the snow is a bit heavier I find myself getting a bit chucked about so I prefer to take out my Atomic Access which are like a big old workhorse of a powder ski. I know, I should get to the gym and work on my leg strenghth rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy