Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Smoking Ban Overturned

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
http://www.oe24.at/oesterreich/politik/Volksbegehren-fuer-Rauchverbot-kommt/312938402
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Whitegold,
Quote:

Austria:

Cigarettes smoked pp py = 2000.

Life expectancy = 82.

UK:

Cigarettes smoked pp py = 800.

Life expectancy = 81.

Life expectancy is a fairly crude measure. Maybe better dead than live the last 20 years of life in poor health, eg with circulation, heart, lung problems and cancers.
Data on 'Healthy Life Years' for Europe tells a different story. UK people on average enjoy 5 to 6 years longer in good health than Austrians.
http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/File:Healthy_life_years,_2015_(years)_YB17.png
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Maybe better dead than live the last 20 years of life in poor health, eg with circulation, heart, lung problems and cancers.

People generally think of the cancer risk, but not many consider COPD, which affects millions of people, and if you mention it, the general response is, "What is that?". Basically, it's a progressive lung disease, caused by smoking and passive inhalation of smoke and other pollutants, characterised by increasing breathlessness. Even if you have given up smoking after many years, you are likely to have irreversibly sabotaged your lungs' ability to do their job. Parts of the lungs will have been irreparably damaged, making you more susceptible to viruses and needing antibiotics to clear them up. You will struggle to perform every day tasks, and even walking up a slight incline will cause you to struggle for breath. You will be less inclined to take exercise. In the context of skiing, you will find it requires significantly greater effort, so much so that it may spoil your enjoyment and render you unable to unable to keep up with other people. Anyone you meet who has a cold poses a significant health hazard - you are more vulnerable than most to catching it, and it may well cause you to be bedridden and to suffer complications, such as chronic bronchitis, pleurisy and pneumonia. Not only your life expectancy, but also the quality of your life (including your ability to ski) will be reduced. Ponder on this if you are a smoker, who feels that a ban on smoking in enclosed spaces is an unreasonable intrusion on your rights, and who feels that those who complain about filling the air with smoke are being sanctimonious "snowflakes". Also consider whether it is really worth it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@tatmanstours, in the UK people have made their choice; there has been widespread consensus behind anti-smoking legislation. Equally, in Austria people have made their choice, and elected a government that intends to overturn the smoking ban. Though I am a non-smoker, I think we should respect that, and either avoid establishments in Austria that do allow smoking, or avoid skiing in Austria.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@achilles,
Quote:

I think we should respect that

I respectfully disagree - but there again, I feel the same about many other so-called democratic decisions that are pernicious (including HS2 Mad Mad ). Also I would contend that it is an oversimplification to narrow it down as you suggest.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@achilles,
Quote:

Equally, in Austria people have made their choice, and elected a government that intends to overturn the smoking ban

Did the government include the overturning of the smoking ban in their manifesto? Or did they mainly get elected on their anti-immigration policies?

I'll be respectfully turning my back on Austria, leaving their smoky pistes and bars a little less crowded for you pro-smokers and libertarians to enjoy. A win/win snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I'll be respectfully turning my back on Austria

Yet another unnecessary act of self harm Smile Smile However, I do seriously think that avoiding Austria altogether is going to the extreme. No matter how myopic its government may be, and how pig-headed a minority of the smoking fraternity may be, it is easy to enjoy a skiing holiday in the Austrian mountains without going anywhere near a smoky bar. The only time it bothers me (and I spend half the year in Austria) is when I'm sitting in a bar, enjoying a drink and the company of my friends, or listening to live music, and some inconsiderate tw*t near to me starts to pollute the atmosphere. It irritates me all the more when they're Brits, as they should know that, whilst it may have been de rigeur in 1940s films, smoking in enclosed public spaces is now generally considered antisocial, as well as harmful. Having said that, most of my friends feel as I do about smoking, but none of them would allow it to put them off skiing in Austria, which provides countless other compensations and makes it their favourite skiing destination. It's possibly also worth mentioning that, since 70% of visitors to Austrian ski resorts are from other countries (to say nothing of the seasonal workers), the chances of the said inconsiderate polluter not being from Austria are actually quite high. It's more likely that they will turn out to be British - if not from the Balkans, Eastern Europe, the Netherlands, Germany or the Scandinavian countries.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy