Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow dome visit worthwhile for experienced skiers?

Poster: A snowHead
Nothing wrong with one leg skiing as a drill in the right circumstances. The people I don't understand in domes are the straight downers, 2 massive skidded turns to stop at the bottom and repeat. I suppose they are having fun.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
endoman wrote:
Nothing wrong with one leg skiing as a drill in the right circumstances. The people I don't understand in domes are the straight downers, 2 massive skidded turns to stop at the bottom and repeat. I suppose they are having fun.

Yes, they weren't idiots because they were skiing backwards but because they later lined up across the slope and had a race down - and they weren't good enough to do that safely.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
-"Snow dome visit worthwhile for experienced skiers?"
-No
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kedsky wrote:
-No
Do you think experienced skiers can't be challenged on a short, gentle slope? Do you think experienced skiers can't develop their skills on a short, gentle slope?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't think they are as bad as people are making out - of course it's not the mountains but I learned to board on one and it got me to an OK standard in a day. Good enough to go for a full week of boarding from day 1 anyway!

I'm going before my trip this year for a 3 hour lesson just to make sure I'm not doing anything desperately stupid (I probably am), and if I get bored of the lesson I am going to try to start riding switch - a dome is the perfect place to try this, don't want to waste piste time on a baby slope.

If there was a slope anywhere in the south west of England I'd be in there all the time I think.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
On the OP, boredom sets in pretty quickly. That's why their pricing structure is the way it is. I visited Tamworth the day it opened, and also MK and HH - if you've never been then it's certainly an experience. Quiet times are best as the patrol can be lax.

rob@rar wrote:
...Do you think experienced skiers can't be challenged on a short, gentle slope? Do you think experienced skiers can't develop their skills on a short, gentle slope?
A different question. "experienced" doesn't really narrow it down as skiing's full of "expert beginners".
It's rare to come across good UK-based skiers who didn't at one time make significant use of artificial slopes. However most get bored with them.

Using an artificial slope to switch discipline or learn something new sounds like a good idea.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kedsky wrote:
-No

Nonsense, a good instructor will make you work hard, question your "expertise", cry and come back for more.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Oleski, Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oleski wrote:
kedsky wrote:
-No

Nonsense, a good instructor will make you work hard, question your "expertise", cry and come back for more.

You've been taught by @Rob, then? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any drills for a Level 6 skier interested in broadening skills (eg park, bumps) rather than deepening them (carving bores me) gratefully received Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pastorius wrote:
If there was a slope anywhere in the south west of England I'd be in there all the time I think.

Likewise, and once the slope at Swindon is built, i'm hoping to get there fairly regularly, it's about 1hr from mine.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
swskier wrote:
Pastorius wrote:

Likewise, and once the slope at Swindon is built, i'm hoping to get there fairly regularly, it's about 1hr from mine.

Freestyle nights are pretty good at Tamworth but it's around £120 for 4 weeks, plus parking and travel so quite expensive. That's obviously if you haven't got any freeloading kids in tow too!!

I always find Tamworth less busy after 4pm
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Red Leon wrote:
Oleski wrote:
kedsky wrote:
-No

You beat me to it! Except I wouldn't have omitted Scott, who has probably got me closer to crying than Rob has. Laughing No matter - I'm a masochist. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I go once a year just to scratch the itch, an hour is as much as I need though as it's just repetitive as many have said before me.

I'll take a few hours off work mid week and go with MrsHD or a skiing mate, never at weekend and certainly not over Christmas.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wallport wrote:
Hi all, thinking of booking a day at Tamworth snowdome (closest to Cardiff I think) over Christmas as a day out for the family (mum, dad 50's and two sons mid 20's). Would just like opinions on whether its worth it or if people will become bored after the first hour.

None of us know anyone who has visited a snowdome so don't know what to expect. e.g. are ski/boot hire included in the price?

TIA

Wallport

I used to live quite close to the Hemel one and went there fairly often. Obviously, it's not the same as having miles of uninterrupted piste, but I'd say it was preferable to visiting a dry slope. Or not skiing at all, which is the other option that most of us face for 50 or 51 weeks a year.

I wouldn't necessarily make a specific trip for it, but if you're passing I'd say go for it. Unsurprisingly, it's much like skiing down 150 metres of a real blue slope over and over again. The snow feels totally natural, the piste grooming is usually good and they include a few jumps and rails and things that can make life more interesting even if that's not normally your thing.
snow report
swskier wrote:
Pastorius wrote:

2 hours from me! But I'd still love it to get built. What I'm more excited about is the one in Merthyr Tydfil that's being proposed - longest indoor slope in the world it would be!
latest report
Okay, I'm not an "experienced" skier, but I'll happily do a 4 or even a 6 hour stint in the Chillfactore. I've done 76 hours since the last BirthdayBash in Februaury. If I lived closer, I'd have done loads more. I live an hour and three quarters away. The way I view it; it's all good practice and it beats the hell out of doing DIY or gardening. But then I'm still relatively new to it. Having said that, I can't see the novelty wearing off any time soon (thankfully). snowHead It's like a drug. I simply love skiing, of any sort. I do loose my rag when they close a button lift to carry out scheduled maintenance; which could have been done at night. But other than that I really enjoy it.

It's even more fun when they have the moguls set up. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
Red Leon wrote:
Oleski wrote:
kedsky wrote:
-No

You beat me to it! Except I wouldn't have omitted Scott, who has probably got me closer to crying than Rob has. Laughing No matter - I'm a masochist. Toofy Grin

Just in case anyone reading this gets the wrong impression, I was being facetious, of course.
For the record, I have spent quite a bit of time under Rob's watchful eye and, though there have been frustrations at my lack of progress (and prowess!), the only scary bit I can remember was the 'skiing with your eyes shut with only a distant voice for guidance' exercise. I can't claim to be a skilled skier even now but what skills I have are largely thanks to Rob's tuition Embarassed

Scott, however.....
2 hours into my first (and only!) lesson with him in San Cassiano, I fell, bent some teeth and spilled some of my precious blood on the piste.
I didn't actually blub but I felt like I might when I realised had to come home the next day rolling eyes
I must stress that Scott was in no way to blame for me falling but the association between Scott and blood was established in that instant. If I could kick him in the shin or something, perhaps I could exorcise the demon and move on Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
Pastorius wrote:
swskier wrote:
Pastorius wrote:

2 hours from me! But I'd still love it to get built.

Swindon isn't the SW, it's the North!
snow conditions
@Red Leon, I think you undersold your San Cassiano story, by a considerable margin. I don't know anyone who has taken a ski in the face in a high speed crash. It's quite a tale!

And thank you for your kind comments Happy
snow conditions
Red Leon wrote:
Oleski wrote:
kedsky wrote:
-No

Rob and Scott both. You do get a hoody after a while, so it's worth it ⛷️
snow conditions
wallport wrote:
Hi all, thinking of booking a day at Tamworth snowdome (closest to Cardiff I think) over Christmas as a day out for the family (mum, dad 50's and two sons mid 20's). Would just like opinions on whether its worth it or if people will become bored after the first hour.

None of us know anyone who has visited a snowdome so don't know what to expect. e.g. are ski/boot hire included in the price?

TIA

Wallport

Well worth a visit.
latest report
@Red Leon, Shocked
My own San Cass incident luckily involved no injury - surprisingly, when you look at the photographic evidence.
snow conditions
Quote:

Just in case anyone reading this gets the wrong impression, I was being facetious, of course.

Me too, natch. The fact that I am still skiing at all, let alone with enough skill to enjoy it, is entirely down to Rob and Scott, and also Husky Dave.
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
Pastorius wrote:
swskier wrote:
Pastorius wrote:

2 hours from me! But I'd still love it to get built.

Swindon isn't the SW, it's the North!

To be fair, it's above the M4 which is officially the North/South divide.
snow conditions
You never know when you may need to ski with one leg Toofy Grin A couple of centuries ago I was in a group at the top of La Grave when one of the party had a binding just pull out of her ski. The gentleman guide lent her his skis and skied to the bottom on her remaining good one.

Edit :- ah, I see that I was replying to the post at the bottom of page 1, please excuse, it's my age you know.
latest report
for new boots or skis, its worth it, - because you cant wait, and can also ensure boots are ok. Other than that, a good place to learn for beginners.
ski holidays
Yoda wrote:
You never know when you may need to ski with one leg :-

A useful skill, even for mere mortals but there's skiing on one leg and there's Bode Miller..
http://youtube.com/v/QHxmVRXoVMA]
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Red Leon, I never tire of watching that. Absolutely amazing.
latest report
I do a couple of times a year in december at manchester..two hours and breakfast for £15. .. better than nothing, gets your ski legs back... but after an hour im ready for breakfast
ski holidays
My favourite one ski video is this. Proper skill and calmness here,
http://youtube.com/v/ROEhaFO-MrM
latest report
@endoman, That's cool.
And I thought for a moment she had a SH sticker on her right ski Laughing
ski holidays
@Red Leon, Have only had a couple of injuries while teaching but yours was the worst accident I have had in 12 years of teaching... still fell bad about it... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad You did well not to pass out...

Here is an experienced skier I worked with once a month this summer and he made some good improvements... check out.

https://vimeo.com/372121088
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
@Red Leon, Have only had a couple of injuries while teaching but yours was the worst accident I have had in 12 years of teaching... still fell bad about it... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad You did well not to pass out...

Despite appearances, it seems I'm just well 'ard Toofy Grin
No blame attached to you, Scott so there's no need to feel bad about it.
And, besides, I got allocated to @Rob's group for the next 2 years so I've no complaints! wink
snow report
I think it's ok for training. If you've got some goal to focus on with drills it makes it a lot less boring. Plus there's more of a social side if you're with a group. It's much better when the moguls come out. They're addictive.
latest report
Interesting to see that Graham Bell, ex-World cup downhiller and Ski Sunday presenter, is training at Hemel today (on a CPD for his instructor licence).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy