Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow dome visit worthwhile for experienced skiers?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, thinking of booking a day at Tamworth snowdome (closest to Cardiff I think) over Christmas as a day out for the family (mum, dad 50's and two sons mid 20's). Would just like opinions on whether its worth it or if people will become bored after the first hour.

None of us know anyone who has visited a snowdome so don't know what to expect. e.g. are ski/boot hire included in the price?

TIA

Wallport
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
(disclimer - I'm a boarder)

In manchester boot/ski hire is included in the price.

I tend to get pretty bored after an hour or so... Just as I'm getting my moves back it's the bottom and the run is over. It's good to remind yourself that you can still do it though, and i guess if you had some technique or other to work on it'd be useful (provided you don't need nice snow to to it).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wallport wrote:
Hi all, thinking of booking a day at Tamworth snowdome (closest to Cardiff I think) over Christmas as a day out for the family (mum, dad 50's and two sons mid 20's). Would just like opinions on whether its worth it or if people will become bored after the first hour.

None of us know anyone who has visited a snowdome so don't know what to expect. e.g. are ski/boot hire included in the price?

TIA

Wallport

Can't vouch for Tamworth but the last time I went to Xscape at Castleford I was bored after 1/2 hr. Repeated runs of 130m, queuing for lift and inevitable stoppages quickly becomes tedious for experienced skiers but invaluable experience for someone new to skiing. Castleford is only 20m away for me so no great loss but Tamworth is a trek from Cardiff and 2 hours max would be enough.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@wallport, Im a great advocate of domes and any slope is still a slope, but I would avoid any dome like the plague over the christmas period. It is horrendously busy and if you are experienced to the point of carving, speed, wanting to work on your technique etc, the 200 other slope users are going to get in your way. Ive given up with Tamworth for the season now as its too busy, and after skiing at Chillfactore for the last 2 lunchtimes, its pretty darn busy then too. Fortunately Chill Factore do 2 7.30am starts which is the only time ill go over the winter, sadly Tamworth don't do the same and you tend to find the 4/5 lessons they run each hour just fill the width of the slope making it very difficult to pass
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@wallport, for a day of free skiing? I don't think that's a great plan. A day can go really quickly, and be demanding even for experienced skiers, if you have a particular focus for improving your skiing and can work your way through some technical training, but for just going up and down a day is too long.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PaulC said it all. Avoid over Christmas. Tamworth is worth a visit over the summer outside of school holidays.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I gave up at 8:45 last Saturday at chill factore. Busier than I thought. Mrs Endo still has a 2 hour voucher so we will make a midweek none school holiday trip for her to practice a bit more. As said above , without drills or features ( moguls , Park) it gets repetetive.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fridges are great for beginners or those wishing to try the other code but weekends and holidays are,as expected, busy. Hemel has everything included in the piste pass, you can take your own kit if you want.

For experienced skiers/boarders then a couple of hours as a pre-season warm up is all you need. You will ski down faster than the button takes you up so...

The previous posters have pretty much covered it. If you're getting back into skiing then book a lesson or if going for a warm up for a laugh then after a cuple of hours the novelty would have worn off.

Either way enjoy as slope time is still slope time!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I usually go to Hemel twice a year, which includes the Snowheads Oktobertest. As it's such a trek (3-4 hour drive) I usually combine it with visiting friends so there's a social aspect and I don't mind being there for 4 or 5 hours (it's only £2 more than a 2 hour pass). Skiing wise it's a bit boring and busy (Christmas will be crazy so I wouldn't bother), I use it more to remind myself how to ski between seasons. You'll also spend more time on the drag lift than the slope, which is worth consideration.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I ended up in Tamworth a week after a trip to St Anton, simply because our friends who hadn't skiied for years were desperate to do something. It's just a dogleg, and full of people getting in the way. Snowdomes are great for people who have never been, and I always recommend them for starter lessons, but you'll probably get bored straight away if you know what you are doing. Only worth it if you haven't been for a long time and want to get a few turns in before a proper trip I would say.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
great for beginners and freestyle nights. I've no idea why people who can actually snowboard or ski go at any other time!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@eddiethebus, very easy to challenge experienced skiers on a short, gentle slope. You just have to think of it as technical training rather than just skiing. I teach plenty of good skiers at Hemel in all-day clinics and they are challenged and I don’t believe they are bored Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I go out of season so that I don't completely forget how to ski. It's good to do right before the season I think just to have a bit of a shake down on your body... it lets me find any muscles which come up tight after 2 hours indoors and give them a bit more focus in my exercise and stretches. It's also a good opportunity to check my boots still fit properly and comfortably because if they need any work doing it's nice to not lose time on the mountain over it.

A lesson now and then can be nice too. Again, when I'm in resort I like to maximise time I can spend skiing with my friends and stuff. So any bad habits that I can iron out indoors, represents time that I can spend doing my own thing in resort.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agree with @Rhoobarb,

Tamworths dogleg is actually a recipe for disaster if its busy, as beginners seem to stop at the very point most wannabe racers will be making their first turn . . .great for an hour or so of constant linked short turns to warm up the muscles then boredom will prevail if you're experienced. The best thing about Tamworth is the carpet as if you're using your own planks they're less likely to get damaged by the exposed plywood/lift trails at MK/Hemel . . .your also protected from OOC idiots learning to 'ski' bumps as they usually run parallel to the lifts at MK/Hemel which can be terrifying as you travel up sometimes . . .had some very near misses in the past.

Cheaper to buy a ski machine in the long run IMHO . . .and far less likelehood of a stupid accident just prior to your hols etc
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Domes are dull as ditch water - much better to go for a walk in the countryside - generally speaking you will be faced with poor snow/ice long queues, short and boring runs and overpriced coffee.
ski holidays
Ski / boot hire is normally included, and you can pay a supplement to hire jackets etc (or at least you can at MK). I always preffered the icy snow at Tam compared to the slushier conditions at MK, dont know if its still the same but it was always good fun, I'd say a 2 hour session would be enough, not sure if I could hack the queues and the number of skiers for any longer. Think a busy return to resort run with lots of people stopping in the way to annoy you.
latest report
@Charliee, Not all are the same, Landgraaf for example is excellent, but I couldn't take more than a few hours even there without structured lessons.
snow conditions
I have to disagree with most of these comments. If all you want is to have fun on the mountain each winter then fair enough. But, on the other hand, if you seriously want to improve your skiing then UK's indoor snow slopes are the places to go. Go on a regular basis for the best results. Snozone Milton Keynes and Castleford offer 'Development Coaching.' These are sessions for those at basic parallel and above. You ski around freely but instructors like me are there to correct any faults and advise on how to improve. I'm sure similar sessions take place at the other snow slopes too.
snow conditions
Hi @johnE, but Landgraaf is a long way away for 2 hours of fun.
Of course my comment was tongue in cheek, it each to their own and i’m Sure some people really enjoy regular visits.
latest report
glasscalcite wrote:
I have to disagree with most of these comments. If all you want is to have fun on the mountain each winter then fair enough. But, on the other hand, if you seriously want to improve your skiing then UK's indoor snow slopes are the places to go. Go on a regular basis for the best results. Snozone Milton Keynes and Castleford offer 'Development Coaching.' These are sessions for those at basic parallel and above. You ski around freely but instructors like me are there to correct any faults and advise on how to improve. I'm sure similar sessions take place at the other snow slopes too.

I'm not sure people (certainly not me) are saying slopes in the UK are a bad idea. Far far from it. I spent the first 20 years of my life only skiing dry and domes before I finally broke free onto a mountain.

The OP asked about a certain time currently as a one off, and as you know at the moment it is crazy busy, especially at Tam.

That said I went to CFE tonight with little one and wifey to get her ski legs back and the place was dead. Was really suprised and it turned into a great session
snow report
you may as well go to Cardiff outdoor slope.
You will prob get bored after straight run down get lift back up, straight run down. Maybe one more lift & straight lift down.
Or give snowboarding a try if you really want a day at a slope:D
You may even have some love us when you end up stuck in the middle of piste waiting for opportunity to set off again! (&not whack us with ski poles)
snow report
I spent a few hundred quid last winter on trips to MK and it was fine up to mid December. On Saturdays in January it was taking 9 minutes to queue for the lift, go up and ski down. only 20 seconds of that was skiing, so it quickly became boring for me (experienced skier) but slightly less so for my 12 year old who had done 2 weeks on the mountain. I'm unlikely to go back this winter as it's a 4 hour round trip in the car to get there from Sussex. Wish there was somewhere in the South East and then we could go off-peak.
latest report
Quote:
Great for beginners and freestyle nights. I've no idea why people who can actually snowboard or ski go at any other time!
'Cos it's sliding about on the white stuff on a slope - and that's what Snowheads love to do!

We usually go to Castleford once or twice a year - we're normally dying for a snow fix by September/October. It's great to walk into winter temperatures at that time of year, although an hour on the slope is usually enough.
latest report
glasscalcite wrote:
Snozone Milton Keynes and Castleford offer 'Development Coaching.' These are sessions for those at basic parallel and above. You ski around freely but instructors like me are there to correct any faults and advise on how to improve. I'm sure similar sessions take place at the other snow slopes too.

One of my gripes with Chill Factore is that they do offer informal coaching sessions for kids (Shred Club), ladies and 50+ - but nothing for a regular adult bloke. For me, they offer formal lessons or just a lift pass.
snow report
eddiethebus wrote:
great for beginners and freestyle nights. I've no idea why people who can actually snowboard or ski go at any other time!

It's like methadone for heroin addict - better than nothing

Tend to go for a fix in summer hour tops
snow conditions
Charliee wrote:
Domes are dull as ditch water - much better to go for a walk in the countryside - generally speaking you will be faced with poor snow/ice long queues, short and boring runs and overpriced coffee.

I always thought it was 'dish water'??? Sure that ditch water isn't that exciting either though.
latest report
@dw832,
Quote:

I always thought it was 'dish water'??? Sure that ditch water isn't that exciting either though.

Probably depends which part of the world you're from or in. For us, ditch water is dull. Dish water is weak. As in, 'this beer is weaker than dish water'.
snowHead
snow report
As someone else said up there.
Great for freestyle and messing about, but if it is a flat slope then gets dull really fast
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
@wallport, for a day of free skiing? I don't think that's a great plan. A day can go really quickly, and be demanding even for experienced skiers, if you have a particular focus for improving your skiing and can work your way through some technical training, but for just going up and down a day is too long.
This.

And this:
rob@rar wrote:
@eddiethebus, very easy to challenge experienced skiers on a short, gentle slope. You just have to think of it as technical training rather than just skiing. I teach plenty of good skiers at Hemel in all-day clinics and they are challenged and I don’t believe they are bored Happy

I wouldn't last more than an hour in a snow dome on my own. Torturous sessions with Inside Out, on the other hand, are rewarding, tiring and fun. wink
ski holidays
May unlimited lift pass at Chillfactore is on offer at sixty pounds. reckon it's a bargain (living nearby). I have stuff to practise, need to get boots right & it should be reasonably quiet. Agree with others above, more than an hour (unstructured) is not a pleasure.
ski holidays
kittya wrote:
May unlimited lift pass at Chillfactore is on offer at sixty pounds. reckon it's a bargain (living nearby).

I'm a member, so that makes it £42, so a bit of a no brainer.

But then I haven't been skiing on a mountain yet, so I'm just building up my basic skill and consolidating what I've learned in lessons. I can see why an experienced mountain skiier might get bored.
snow report
@wallport, Why not go op Pontypool instead?

Much longer slope, fresh air and a lot less distance to drive.

http://www.torfaenleisuretrust.co.uk/en/ski
snow conditions
I’m a member at the CFe, so the cost isn’t too bad (30% off everything). Is it as good as a mountain? No, not even close to it. But it gives you practice handling people doing unpredictable things, and coming at you from all directions, all in a confined space. Having said that there was a run on the B.B. which was far busier than anything I’ve seen at the CFe. Needless to say it was chaos and there were collisions and accidents.

It also gives you practice of handling cruddy lumpy snow (in the afternoons).

I’m still a learner so need all the practice I can get. I do 4 hour sessions, with half an hour for lunch. I expect to do 50 hours+ before the Birthday Bash next year.

Bottom line, it’s better than no skiing at all, and certainly better than doing DIY.
snow conditions
Anyone any recent experience of the development sessions or race sessions at Castleford? I'm going to try and go on a regular ish basis having just signed up for membership, and anything has to be better than just free skiing alone. I've never raced, but thought the techniques and drills would help my skiing along. Was thinking to try a development session first and ask the coaches re the race stuff?

If I could afford the time off work then I'd much rather do a snoworks course etc, but I can't, so this is the best I will get!
snow report
If you had asked me this question 3 months ago I'd have replied it was boring and nothing like proper skiing.

But.. I've had a change of mind and it's all because of having great tuition from Noel at Chill Factore.

My problem was that I didn't have an good set of drills to practice so I was trogging up and down, repeating bad skiing technique and acheiving nothing. Noel has gone back to basics (and draws on his experience of teaching ski instructors - i.e. if you can't even do this on a benign slope and at slow speed you don't have adequate technique). So, after a few hours with Noel, not only have I benefited from the lessons, but he's also given me a "quiver" of exercises to do in similar circumstances.

Edit,: I realise I was answering the original post not the current ski race one but I'll leave it here in case it's helpful to others following the OPs thoughts.
snow report
Scamper wrote:
If you had asked me this question 3 months ago I'd have replied it was boring and nothing like proper skiing.

But.. I've had a change of mind and it's all because of having great tuition from Noel at Chill Factore.

My problem was that I didn't have an good set of drills to practice so I was trogging up and down, repeating bad skiing technique and acheiving nothing. Noel has gone back to basics (and draws on his experience of teaching ski instructors - i.e. if you can't even do this on a benign slope and at slow speed you don't have adequate technique). So, after a few hours with Noel, not only have I benefited from the lessons, but he's also given me a "quiver" of exercises to do in similar circumstances.

This is the key point. The value of a visit to an indoor slope depends on how you use it. It can be extremely valuable, or it can be pretty tedious. If you use the time in a structured way to advance your training and skills acquisition it can be extremely valuable. But if you head up and down as if you're on your favourite piste in the Alps it's going to get tedious pretty quickly.
ski holidays
Re-reading this as I’m normally the same distance from mountains as you lot (11 hrs driving, plus breaks) but there is a natural snow mountain top 4 hours drive away that has 150m of beginner slope and a bit more if we get a cold winter. IF I knew what drills to do, I could get there occasionally and do them. IF...
snow report
Orange200 wrote:
Re-reading this as I’m normally the same distance from mountains as you lot (11 hrs driving, plus breaks) but there is a natural snow mountain top 4 hours drive away that has 150m of beginner slope and a bit more if we get a cold winter. IF I knew what drills to do, I could get there occasionally and do them. IF...

Are you saying you would drive 4 hours to the location as described above but you don't know what to do when you get there?
ski holidays
Smile yes.
Wondered about skiing backwards. Or on one leg.
latest report
Orange200 wrote:
Smile yes.
Wondered about skiing backwards. Or on one leg.

Well, on Tues there were 3 idiots doing just that so I guess you'll be in good company if you make the journey snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy