Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
Its supposed to be nasty out there

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
and this is down in Montalbert where its cloudy and wet all afternoon
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On piste or off piste - not to sure tbh!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@boredsurfin, having been here for the season (my first full season in Paradiski) I must say that the runs down to Montalbert have been amongst the most enjoyable. It's not just the good state of the pistes, but also the lovely views. Having done Les Arcs a week at a time in the past, it's not an area that really interested me ("too low" etc.) but nowadays it's a natural destination.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Alastair, Try coming down Piste Sapin from Aime 2000 it has great views down to Monty and the valley below - enjoy the challenge of finding the entrance to it!
PS. Dont be tempted to try Piste Pravendue unless you don't mind the 50m uphill section towards the end!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@boredsurfin, I've had difficulty finding that one on the piste map Very Happy . Having found it, I rather suspect I've been taking it on a regular basis. I shall take a good look tomorrow. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@boredsurfin, I took Pravendue once. Once was enough. A narrow icy piste with all others on the slope bemused, I thought keeping the speed up was the best idea. It didn't work Shocked .
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin wrote:
@Alastair, Try coming down Piste Sapin from Aime 2000 it has great views down to Monty and the valley below - enjoy the challenge of finding the entrance to it!
PS. Dont be tempted to try Piste Pravendue unless you don't mind the 50m uphill section towards the end!

I'm a convert to Sapin - nice and quiet and great view.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Alastair, @eblunt, Piste Maignonne is open at the moment as well, if you are OK off piste and finding your back to a marked piste. Its left at the bottom around the trees on the right and then back onto the Gentil piste, across the road and round the corner into Le Forperet http://forperet.com/?lang=en for a well earned beer snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bonjour! Just a quick question. Some friends are en route and have ended up with a hire car... their chains don’t fit so where between Lyon and La Plagne is the best place to get chains SVP?

We’re about to leave Chambery. Can’t wait snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well, what a wonderful morning!
Was snowing when we went to bed: rather wet stuff not lying on open ground or sticking to trees.
Forecast for today is cloudy morning then snowy afternoon.
Instead we have bright blue skies, no clouds and trees all round lovely white. snowHead
Beautiful.
Drivers need not worry: roads at 1800 are clear. Imagine all main roads round resort - where buses go - will also be clear.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Brill! Thanks @Jonpim. Will let them know. We’ve just got 29 miles to go Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SkiWithThree!, Did you bother with chains?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Brilliant Day!
At least 10 cm overnight.
All runs lovely - some hardly touched when we set out.
Now snowing heavily.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We had a fab day! Managed to ski in the afternoon. Need to go to Les Arcs now to take advantage of the better pass Laughing

Didn’t get chains Jonpim. Our friends were behind us (ended up with a hire car after breaking down in the fast lane near Lyon!) so all arrived happily!
snow report
Dull murky start to day, but snowing - lightly just now, but was real heavy not so long ago.
Should be a good ski-day among the trees.

Road i can see remains clear.
snow conditions
We went to Montalbert this morning. Some cracking skiing! Wished I heeded a little more attention to the Piste Difficile notice off Les Grenouilles. I thought after Kamikaze I could do any red in LP. Whoops! Embarassed
snow report
And SkiWithThree!, isn't Grenouilles such a pointless run?
A long green (road) section out, a short steep red section often with moguls, then a long (admittedly pretty) blue section back through trees beside a stream (though you can't see the stream this year coz of all the snow).
Not really worth the bother (unless you cut across the field at the start and ski down through the trees - now, that is fun)
latest report
Wish I’d known that Jonpim! Yep, pretty pointless! Some good fun with eldest this afternoon bombing a few blues. He’s 10 so learning to control his speed now Very Happy
ski holidays
Just thinking, I described Les Grenouilles to a friend as a cross country track with a steep bit in the middle...
latest report
@SkiWithThree!, at least they have the piste difficile notice there now - two seasons ago on our last day my wife made us do Kamakaze in the morning which was a terrifying experience for a blue cruising vertigo sufferer! So in the afternoon, needing another red to accomplish to finish the week on a high we headed for the tree lined Grenouilles - what a mistake - got to the top of the steep bit and bottled it - cue 20 mins of walking back up the track carrying two pairs of skis in the March sunshine. Not a happy bunny!!!
latest report
At busy times Les Grenouilles is a quicker route down to Envers or La Roche. If its very mogulled there are off piste routes down through the trees to the left
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
And SkiWithThree!, isn't Grenouilles such a pointless run?
A long green (road) section out, a short steep red section often with moguls, then a long (admittedly pretty) blue section back through trees beside a stream (though you can't see the stream this year coz of all the snow).
Not really worth the bother (unless you cut across the field at the start and ski down through the trees - now, that is fun)

Actually, I quite enjoyed Grenouilles. rolling eyes Not because I liked the run but because it deceitfully led me onto the kind of slope I would normally avoid like the plague. Shocked The moguls were massive, to me, but the walk back up the hill was even less attractive. So I just got on with it and surprised myself at how straightforward I found the moguls. Finished the run feeling really pleased with myself. I won't be rushing back, though.
snow report
Oh wow! That was quite some day!
snow conditions
Well, home now. Done for the season. Sad.
Been in Tarentaise area on and off since December 15. What a glorious season.
May not have been many sunny days, but so many super skiing days. So much snow!
Might make this summer's glacier skiing better than usual.

It was suggested earlier on this thread that La Plagne winter season would not start until December 22. This is not correct. An email to Tourist Office confirms the usual schedule continues:
Altitude villages open December 15. Champagny, Montchavin/Les Coches, and Montalbert open December 22.
Resort closes April 27 2019.
ski holidays
Been a great week so far in La Plagne. One day left to ski tomorrow. The pistes have on the whole been in great condition. We were here 3 years ago and never touched the Montalbert area as quite a bit of it was closed. Discovered it this week and have really enjoyed the runs over there. Got a bit worried re Les Grenouilles run but enjoyed the mogul section and the lessons we had in Feb really paid off. Took our time and practiced our mogul technique. Anyone coming out next week should have a decent week.
ski holidays
We’ve had a cracking week too. Some super skiing off the top today and earlier in the week. Thank you to whoever suggested the Crozats run earlier in the thread, we enjoyed it so much we did it twice!

Could have done without being wiped out from behind by an idiot in Les Arcs yesterday, mind, this was the father who thought letting his child (age 2-3) do snowplough with no turns down a red run... clearly didn’t get away from him quick enough! I’m fine thankfully he took more of the impact and my £25 Decathlon rucksack protection did its job!

One more sunny looking day tomorrow. Managed to get mini monkey down the tunnel today and it was glorious!
latest report
Anyone know if there is transport available to Bourg from Les Coches?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gilly28, when I was there I just got a taxi, cost about 40 euros I think. Strikes me as a bit steep but seems to be the going rate.
ski holidays
Oh 40 euros would be fine. It’s for friends parents, they are flying into Geneva and then getting train and friend picking them up, but we then leave Friday to drive home and their flight isn’t till Saturday.
latest report
We just had a great week. Think you’ll need to be up High now as the pistes were getting slushy early on by the end of the week. Champagny was like human soup on Friday! Had a cracking week though with loads of skiing done. Lift queues weren’t too bad at all! Enjoy! More fluffy stuff to come looking at the forecast snowHead
snow report
A week to go until our late season trip and we're getting quite excited now - although I'm trying to stop myself pointlessly looking at the weather forecast...

First time in La Plagne. We're having private lessons with New Generation most mornings but we've kept our first full day free to get our ski legs back and to get a bit of a feel for the area. Does anyone have any piste recommendations? We're slightly timid 2nd and 3rd week skiers, so mostly looking for wide and/ or gentle blues to start with.

I've read generic advice on the internet e.g. head below the treeline in a white-out/ flat light, follow the sun if it's warm (although really hard to tell from the piste map which slopes face in which direction!) etc, but any specific recommendations or advice would be really appreciated! We're staying in Plagne Centre, if that helps.

And, most importantly, where are the best hot chocolate stops??!
snow conditions
Where are you staying in La Plagne? Most of the runs in Bellecôte will be fine for you. The blues around Plagne Centre should be good too but maybe not the Mira off the top of the gondola, even the instructors admit the first section is red! Montalbert will probably be quite icy and the same with Montchavin so you may want to avoid threat!

levasset off the top of Roche de Mio is pretty gentle and you can access Champagny from there (but Champagny will probably be slushy in the afternoon) and the tunnel is great fun! Some areas were getting very moguly in the afternoons just to bear in mind. Especially top of the tunnel run and last section from Colosses into Centre. You can go through the houses/trees on the right almost at the bottom which was much less chaotic!
ski holidays
@Trwoodward, I should have said,Arpette cafe lovely, the one at the bottom of Carella lift/levasset piste are my favourites. I’m sure others will have more!
snow conditions
Thanks for the reply - we're going to be staying in Plagne Centre, so thanks for the tip about the Mira piste, sounds like we should give that a miss for the first day at least. Is the whole of the Champagny side likely to be slushy in the afternoon (because it's south facing?) or just the lower sections towards the village?
latest report
We were in Centre too. Basically Colarado lift runs will get your ski legs back quite happily Happy

I’d definitely get Champagny done in the mornings, can be a bit icy first thing though. The blues off the Becoin can be more challenging too, I’d do Colarado blues, Bergerie and then Becoin to get accustomed to the runs in La Plagne. IMO they get harder in that order. If the Petit Rochette is open that’s a middle one (back of the gondola) do you know which residence your staying in? Might be able to give a few more pointers Puzzled
snow conditions
Ooh! Hit the wrong smiley! Really shouldn’t type without my glasses!
snow conditions
Smile That's great, thank you - that all sounds ideal. We'll be staying in one of the chalets in l'Oree des Pistes (at least I think that's what the building is called...), so we're basically opposite the Colarado lift as far as I can tell.
snow report
Les Borselliers in Champagny is a great ho5 chocolate stop. Right next to the lift of the same name. It is at the en£ of the run over the top of Grand Rochester. The blues down from Colorado are pretty gentle runs although the6 can get very busy.
latest report
Grand Rochette
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy