Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2017/18 (Closed - No more posts please!)

Poster: A snowHead
As we enter the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness back here in Blighty thoughts are definitely turning to winter. The Glacier in Tignes is due to open on Sat 30 Sep 17 and the Espace Killy is forecast to open on Sat 25 Nov 17. So it seems appropriate to crack the bottle of Moet over the bows of the upcoming season and I name this Thread "Tignes and the Espace Killy 2017/18"

Here are a whole bunch of useful links to help with your visit - they have been checked but some are still sleeping wink

Tignes Main Site (official):
http://www.tignes.net/en
Ski passes:
http://www.skipass-tignes.com/en
Bus Transfers
Daily from Geneva, Sat-Sun from Chambery (not yet loaded for purchase (10 Sep) and Fri-Sun from Lyon (15% off until 30 Sep 17):
http://www.altibus.com/
Weekends from Geneva and Grenoble, Fri-Sun from Lyon:
http://www.bensbus.co.uk/
Private Transfers (Operator based in Tignes):
http://www.mountainrides.co.uk/
Ski Instruction (British Staff):
http://www.ski-instruction-tignes.co.uk/default.aspx
http://www.tdcski.com/tignes/
Weather:
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/tignes/73320
Route Info (Savoie Only):
http://savoie-route.fr/
Avalanche Reports (Meteo France):
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/bulletin-avalanches/savoie/avdept73
Live Lift Status:
http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=tignes&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr
http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=val-d-isere&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr
Bus Timetable from Bourg:
http://altibus.com/documents/gares/9/navettes.pdf
Val-Tignes evenings only (for repatriation of lost souls that missed the last lift!) - its not yet showing but hopefully it will be here(!):
http://www.mairie-tignes.fr/fr/information/69534/transport-stationnement.
Microlight Flights:
http://tignesairexperience.com/en/

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 14-09-18 11:09; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And purely to bump this thread to the top so the other can lapse what is new for this year. Well in Tignes a lot of work has been going on at the top of the resort with the Grande Motte Cable Car. Lots of new cabling and a new machine room have been installed, so we won't see a lot of change as the new cabins are due next year but it was all part of a 3 year programme to renew the system after 40 years or so of hard graft. Next door in Val the Datcha lift has been replaced (using many bits of the old Solaise express) so that one will be a lot quicker. They have also remodelled the area at the base of the lift to (hopefully) alleviate the mogulled hell hole that was the approach Shocked . There has also been a lot of building in Tignes with the start of the new crèche and some luxury apartments at the base of the Rosset Lift. Likewise the work on Apex 2100 has started where the old Pramecou Chalethotel was situated. This will be an international ski race academy, the project will be led by Sir Clive Woodward. As I didn't visit this summer that's about it for now but I will have a good scout around before the opening of the season.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just booked our hotel for our first visit to Tignes, so any advice from more experienced visitors would be gratefully received. We are 2 middle-aged intermediates, with a mad keen 10 year old (3 ski hols for him so far). Staying in Hotel Le Taos, Tignes le Lac, travelling by train to Bourg, 10th Feb.

Any good restaurants, recommended blue/red runs, good ski hire options close to hotel, travel recommendations from Bourg, other activities like tobogganing, etc.?

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just a marker for ease of access to thread. Cool
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Otherworld,
Other activities? Ice skating on the lake. Swimming in the pool. Any of those done by Evo2:-
http://tignes.evolution2.com/en/activite/winter-activities/?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Otherworld, One of the Snowheads annual "Bashes" was based in the Taos last season. I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you the inside track on that. I do know that you can ski straight out of the hotel onto a track that leads directly to one of the beginner areas and also a choice of lifts. (Paquis and Chaudanne).

Ski hire is available just down the street at Vallon Blanc. Always been helpful when we've been in. They won't be the cheapest option in town but their gear is usually up to date and in good nick.

Tobogganing? ..... if it's open this season there is a lift served run in the evenings. It goes all the way from the top to the bottom of Palafour.

Options for food. Are you thinking of somewhere for lunch "on the hill" or something more formal in the evening?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 12-09-17 10:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can anyone point me in the direction of touring route maps from village level up? Lots of off-piste/touring routes from lifts around, but nothing from base level. Which pistes is it safe/advisable/acceptable to skin up, for example?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chocksaway, Welcome back. Hope you have fared okay over there in the dark shadow of the Pennines that they call Summer.

@Dr John, Not my area of expertise but it's not uncommon to see people skinning up Palafour. I thinks one of the locals who worked in the supermarket used to trek up and then ski back down Palafour in his lunch break rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes . I like to get full value from my lift pass. Chocksaway and Tigski have been getting more into their touring so they may be able to help you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dr John, You do see folk skinning up almost anywhere (Double M for example)... I'm not at all sure that this is something I'd want to do, feels very dangerous to be going up slowly in the same piece of mountain that other folk are going down quickly ! I'd rather use the lifts where available and then skin (Pramecou Tour, for example)...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
After a dusting of snow at higher elevations a job working on the restaurant rebuild at the top of Toviere looks a bit tougher this morning.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@GeorgeVII & @ski, big tours are all well and good, and plan to do a few, but I'll want to go for a solo stroll every now and then and I'm not going back country on my own. It's also nice to use my own steam once in a while. There for the season so need to balance the activities out, get a different perspective, not to mention countering the food & booze intake.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@GeorgeVII, I thank you, definitely autumn in GOC today. Better than the top of Tov though!

@Dr John, Firstly, I suppose, I am obliged to say that skinning up a piste is against the rules. But I have never had anything other than a cheery wave from the pisteurs. I have even had a smile from the odd guy in red believe it or not. For 'exercise style' skinning from Tignes my haunts are up Petit Col to the top of the Chaudannes, up Palafour or Carline and Grattalu. Last year there was supposed to be a marked side of the piste route for the last one but it kept disappearing under snow and after the Grande Balme 'went' I think it disappeared. Another option is to start in Brev - you can then bail out in Boisses or continue to the summit. Good in Spring as there is some shade and the air is thicker down there. Generally, most folk give way, especially if you point your pole at them. Also, skinning up before lift opening is good if you can get out of bed early enough, the pisteurs would rather you didn't descend until the lifts open is my understanding of local etiquette. Also keep an ear out for any avi blasting, Radio Val is good at announcing this next door, its not made so obvious in Tignes.

@Otherworld, You can either walk down from your Hotel to the snowfront and go up Palafour, a good starter for 10. Or as George says ski out of the bottom of the hotel to Chaudannes for the slopes above Les Boisses. But for a first day ski down to the Paquis Lift and then down Piste Henri into Val Claret, then up the Tichot and Grattalu lifts and lap the Grattalu piste - its wide blue and very smooth (normally). As to apres, the toboganning is quite A level and a height restriction was introduced towards the end of last season, probably a good idea to have a shufty yourself before encouraging junior. A microlight trip would be a good one too (€80). For the bad days there is also a cinema and bowling alley. As you are coming peak season, keep an eye out for the kids charity (LED) torch lit descents - there were 100s doing it last year. If you can give me an idea of price range and snack v dinner I could point you in the right direction. As ever restaurants are only as good as last years chef, but some places change little. Overall the TAOS restaurant was viewed as good last year, perhaps a little overpriced (reflecting the star rating I suppose) and a little lacking in atmosphere. But as you are central to the resort this should not be a problem. From Bourg there are a range of taxy companies that will bring you up the hill, but as its peak week, book very early, there is a lot of competition for the vehicles for the airport runs. Other than that there is a local bus service.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dr John, We quite often have an amble in the Leisse valley --- easily accesible from Genepy or the Leisse run. Very flat, so not much exercise, but much quieter.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@otherworld - link to a thread a year ago asking similar questions (but from a predominantly veggie perspective).

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=128439&highlight=

Have never eaten at Taos - we walked past it every night last year and the bar looked a bit dead. Menu looks interesting, if pricey.

We ate dinner one night at L'Eterlou (rue de la poste) this year and it was a really smashing night.

We also ate lunch at Pignatta (Val Claret centre) which has been consistently good the last few years.

@Chocksaway noted that La Queue de Cochon (Lavachet) is very good (assuming its same this season) - the guys that run it have been in Tignes for years and Duncan is a great chef. Good Gin menu if thats your bag.

Not sure if I mentioned it in that thread but upstairs at the Bagus Cafe in Rue de La Poste has a really nice terrace overlooking the lake to enjoy one of their Pizzas on a good day.

We had a quick bite at Escale Blanche just down the road from you this year - oddly the first time there in my 20 years going to Tignes - nice sun terrace, can get pricey.

Want a cheap and cheerful burger joint, again just down the road from you? Croqburger is your place.

We had a fair few beers but no food at Brasero (Lavachet) but its usually good and meaty.

Sure others will pitch in with suggestions.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Taos food is basic and not great portions - or at least was last year. And bar was dead in the evening.
Brasero seems to have lost a bit of atmosphere recently, food very ordinary.
Agree with most of above.

On the mountain
Alpage - top of Chaudannes has best view; all the hills of the EK can be seen on a sunny day.
Jam Bar - good for a tasty Italian lunch. Rue de la poste
Or just up the road - Tignes 2100 hotel. Scando food at reasonable prices for lunch.
Over in Val. On the mountain. Mamottes - try all you can get on the plate salad.
Over at Le Fornet - like Edelweiss. Restaurant pricy but outside terrace lovely on a sunny day. L'arolay in the village has charm.
ski holidays
For lunch in Tignes, I like L'Abina for great pizza and tartiflette, Loop for the chilli bowl and the burger. Both are pretty cheap.

If you want to try something a bit different, L'Atelier d'Edmond (with 2 Michelin stars!) over in Fornet do lunch for a fixed €25 ph. Their terrace is a lovely sun trap too. They are just over the road from the cable car entrance. Dinner is amazing (we had the 10 course tasting menu in January) but not cheap. For a simple pasta dish, the restaurant in the cable car base station is a favourite of mine.

For something wacky and gastro, Peau de Vache in Val is a 'must try'. Booking is essential. The resaurant is half way down Le Face, but is served by a small chair lift, if you don't want to ski the black piste to get to/from it.

In Brev, my favourite is La Sachette. Much cheaper than the bars on the bridge and much, much better food. The lifties and pisteurs eat here, so that tells you something.
latest report
the cow pat in the Peau de Vache is awesome!
Cafe at Val glacier is also v good, owned by same people as Marmottes I believe and reasonable prices. Great view from the terrace.
snow conditions
@endoman, yes it is owned by Marmottes and very cheap - awesome quiche and salad
ski holidays
Is it only me or are the ski legs beginning to twitch?
Not going to do any of the Bashes this year - bit disappointed with a minority's attitude last season
Starting to form a plan. Suspect about 6 weeks in Tignes!
snow report
Mark1863 wrote:
.... bit disappointed with a minority's attitude last season

?
snow conditions
Do not want to go into detail - serves no purpose. Pm me is you wish
snow report
@Mark1863, I read somewhere l'arolay is closing, which would be a great shame.
Edelweiss - still my favourite place in the EK.
La Pignatta in Val Claret - good value plat du jours.
L'Alpage des Chaudannes - Great food and stunning teararse views on a sunny day
L'Armailly - Fave place in Brev
latest report
am in tignes for mid dec..... aam putting eldest (4.5 years old) into ski school for first time, am thinking half days in a group.... any ideas? would consider one on one

cheers guys
ski holidays
ajc2260626 wrote:
am in tignes for mid dec..... aam putting eldest (4.5 years old) into ski school for first time, am thinking half days in a group.... any ideas? would consider one on one

cheers guys

TDC every time.

http://www.tdcski.com/tignes/
snow conditions
@bar shaker, just checked them out, they only do from 10 years old according to their website..... has anyone used evo's marmattons?
latest report
@Dr John,
Noooo! L'arolay closing. Is nothing sacred. Some cracking times there. Including some over indulgent lunches with Sander of Alpaka fame and the owner. The camp waiters were a hoot.
Agree with your recommendations. The Pignatta seemed to struggle when busy last year.
snow conditions
@ajc2260626, Marmottons used to be independent and was very good. The shop closed this time last year and the brand has been absorbed by evo2, I don't know if the staff moved as a block so difficult to give a recommendation until a reputation is re earned. In general evo2 are very good.
ski holidays
@Mark1863, also had a couple of lost afternoons there, was our place to go when the the weather closes in. Hopefully unsubstantiated rumours. One lunch in Pignatta last season was very slow, but we were in relaxed mood and had our wine so we didn't mind much. Then the owner arrived and all the staff jumped to attention like they'd been given an electric shock, was very amusing to see them running around like they'd been doing it all lunchtime.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We used Evo2 (as part of our Esprit booking) for my then 6yr old son, both for group and one private. I was very happy with them.

Rich
ski holidays
@ajc2260626, we used marmottons last winter with our (then) almost 3 year old , they were really great! The staff were very good with the little ones. I would recommend. We also used regular kids evo2 classes for our 6 yr old and that was very good too. The difference is that in marmottons they usually just stay in the small nursery slope area and it is more play on skies than actually skiing, and with evo2 classes they actually take them out to ski. So depends on your child and what you want, but both worked for us. We also used T4 nannies for afternoon childcare/evening babysitting some days.
ski holidays
cheers guys i think marmattons will be good for starters ! if anyone needs a good nanny ping me a mail and i will pass on the details of the lady that we have used for years who is excellent
snow conditions
@ajc2260626, I need a nanny please
ski holidays
@Bella2015, i will ping you a message
snow conditions
Work going on at the leissiere tunnel and drag, could it be opening up again this season?
ski holidays
@Dr John,
I was told last season it was finally going to be demolished
snow conditions
@Mark1863, that could also be an explanation, although a shame. Check out TopSki page on FB for pics.
ski holidays
@Dr John, @Mark1863, towards the end of last season, Steve Angus stated he'd heard Tunnel 3000(?) drag lift was being reinstated. Difficult to think why, although I liked the short steepish runs back down either side of the drag. Look what we've been missing.

http://youtube.com/v/J3uFDhBQj7Q
snow report
^ looks horrible!!
ski holidays
We will have to wait and see then
snow report
@HoneyBunny,
Quote:

looks horrible!!

Yes, on ice, it felt like being in a scary episode of Dr Who.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy