Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

500 metre long indoor snowslope planned for Wales

Poster: A snowHead
@rob@rar,
right opposite the Welsh Gov & Police buildings.
Wonder how Public Sector feel looking at all that.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mr.Egg wrote:
@rob@rar,
Sorry, not quite sure what your point is. Why should the civil servants or police have an opinion on this?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
@rob@rar,
Sorry, not quite sure what your point is. Why should the civil servants or police have an opinion on this?

spoil their view NehNeh Laughing

Would be good though. I am sure I could find reasons to have to visit merthyr for work
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mr.Egg, would be great! I'm retired and live down the road!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow. A 500m run would be great. I do question (as someone from Swansea) what the hell they were thinking of building it in Merthyr though! Almost makes me want to move to Gwent to be equidistant to that and the The Wave.

Even with (what for me is now) a 2 hour drive each way I’d rather go to something like that compared to Milton Keynes/Hemel which are both an hours drive from me now, so I suspect it will be a very well used venue.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What do Merthyr and Las Vegas have in common?

The only two places in the world where you can pay for sex with chips! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is one of those projects i'll believe when it's actually up and running. There has been talk of this in one form or another for a very long time.

On their facebook page I did ask how it was going to be funded and they just replied Private Investment, no expansion on this fact so still non the wiser about where the money is coming from, although seems like they have spent a bit on this new campaign including branding, website and videos.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
According to the website, the new development will be the base for the Welsh Olympic team; didn't realise Wales had such a thing! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LOTA wrote:
According to the website, the new development will be the base for the Welsh Olympic team; didn't realise Wales had such a thing! Very Happy

Just a bit of forward planning by YesCymru. Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Really hope this goes ahead.

@Timmycb5, I guess going for Merthyr as it ties in with being next to Bike Park Wales, and pretty close to Pen Y Fan as well, so you could tie all 3 in on a weekend away. It's a relatively decent drive up there as well, as far as valleys roads go.

I'll be there regularly if this happens, it's around 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours for me from Clevedon across the water. I think it'll take a lot of business away from Hemel and MK, as it's substantially bigger that people will travel to it, even if it's a longer journey.

There's a few racing coaching companies that take groups over to Landgraaf in the summer/autumn, and I wonder if they would now use Merthyr instead if/when it's up and running.

Also means that some instructor courses could run in the UK. For example the IASI race coach course required for level 3 has dates run in Landgraaf, and now could run here?

Exciting project if it ever gets going.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Planning application being submitted this Summer

Could be a tremendous outdoor/indoor activity hub along with Bike Park Wales in Merthyr; new bike park in Aberdare; Zip World Tower in Hirwaun; Brecon Beacons National Park
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Are any of the ski centres in the uk profitable? Most of the commercial facilities I can think of (indoor and outdoor) are on the margins of viability or lose money.

I get the impression that indoor skiing is a bit of a loss leader to attract footfall to retail? Covid is not going to help Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Peter S, I am pretty sure that Hemel must have been doing ok before Covid, as they have gone through a couple of small refurbs, changing and booking in areas for example. I believe they have been investing in further changes during the lockdown.
There is only snow and rock, and a cycling outlet inside of this. so am not sure this would be the case regarding Retail footfall. that may be a case for MK, as from what I remember from going over 15 years ago there were several shops there.

I know the same consortium who run Hemel, were going to invest in the proposed new one in Swindon. But on a recent ski podcast, the chief exec of Hemel confirmed this is not going ahead now due to the whole development being shelved.

The closest dry slope to me in Bath, is part of the Mendip multi sport activity centre, so they have diversified to keep going.

They may not be "goldmines", but the ones that still exist must have been operating efficiently before Covid struck.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 19-02-21 14:37; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They could graze sheep on it too Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
"...what the hell they were thinking of building it in Merthyr though..."

Rundown area - probably more Government grants available ?
snow report
Grants yes (EU maybe, oh, wait... Very Happy ); links to Cardiff, Beacons, Gower. Half the population (of Wales) within a one hour drive? However, even in my glass-half-fullest moment, I'm not sure it will happen.
snow report
Thanks for that TG. A good insight.
ski holidays
It'll be fuelled by property - there's very little detail on their site actually if you follow the link to the Housing element, its takes you to a placeholder on their website, but a bit of hunting shows around 600 houses are in the plan. Snow centres and waterparks are the bit of cheese you wrap around the pill to give to the dog.
snow report
@Yellow Snow, for the (over)friendliest sheep, try the top of the Bwlch mountain. Years of feeding has made the sods quite aggressive when it comes to trying to nick food Smile
latest report
@Mike Pow, is that a new mountain bike park in Aberdare?
latest report
dobby wrote:
@Mike Pow, is that a new mountain bike park in Aberdare?

Yes

Not as full on as Bike Park Wales, but the terrain is there.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
It'll be fuelled by property - there's very little detail on their site actually if you follow the link to the Housing element, its takes you to a placeholder on their website, but a bit of hunting shows around 600 houses are in the plan. Snow centres and waterparks are the bit of cheese you wrap around the pill to give to the dog.

Fine by me, as long as we a 500m indoor slope in Wales!
snow report
Bump.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56668481

Going to public consultation in May. Allegedly!
latest report
Much as I'd hate to take anything away from Merthyr Tydfil, It's a bit far out of the way for most people in the UK for a state of the art ski centre.

Looking at the plans, it looks a bit like a Centre Parks style developement, traffic free, with lodges and a leisure centre.
They are designed to be self reliant, with their own shops etc. Apart from a few jobs at minimum wage, it's unlikely to be of any economic benefit to the community.

Would the remaining 80% of the land be fenced off in the same way, or will it still be available for public access?

The facebook video suggests easy access by road and rail from London and Birmingham, but anyone who has been to South Wales would know of the transport problems once you leave the Motorway. Google maps says 9 hours by rail. **

Apart from area around Cardiff, Swansea and the valleys, This won't be practicable for a day trip. I think it is deliberately designed not to be.

My biggest question would be how much access will be allowed to the general public, or will it be limited to residents at the park, and athlete training?

All private investment, so the Local Authority won't have any say once the plans are approved.

This will be an exclusive resort. Don't expect easy daily access to this development to be affordable to most of the General Public.

**Edit. forgot to change departure time on maps. rolling eyes just over 3 hours from London, 4 from Birmingham. Ok if staying a few days, but not for a day trip.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 7-04-21 21:24; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@brianatab, I don't think merthyr is that bad to access from the motorway. Currently Google maps says 22 minutes, and it's virtually all if I remember right dual carriageway.

Train from Paddington tomorrow morning shows as 3.5 hours, and only 18 minutes longer than it says to drive.

It's not amazing access there, but it's not too bad. Plus the other local attractions make it a good hub in my eyes.
snow report
I camped down that way a few years ago, intending to visit the Brecons. Via the A40 from Gloucester. Best part of 2 hours from there.
The M4 via Cardiff is a very busy route most of the time.

Either way, Unless you are starting in South Wales, Methyr Tydfil is not the sort of place you visit for a day trip. Even from Snowdonia, the Chill factore is nearly 2 hours closer.

The location of this site is designed for people to stay in their accommodation, not day trippers.
snow report
@brianatab,
How many years ago is a few?
A40 is about an hour 1/2 & that was before any new road widening, etc.

There is supposed to be a Metro Wales coming, which should link merthyr to Cardiff with more & quicker trains.

It may not be a day trip for you, the sameway Tamworth would not be a day trip for me.
However, there is still a big catchment area for anything west of Cardiff.

It will have a big catchment area of 2hrs travel. Birmingham, Swindon, Bristol, Cardiff, Swansea, etc.
snow conditions
Not sure the access to Merthyr is as bad as some seem to make out here, from Cardiff it's 25 miles up the a470 which is all dual carriageway. From the newport and the coldra up the a449/a40 over the heads of the valleys the journey time has been cut with the widening of the road when the last bit is finished up the black rock towards brynmawr the journey time should be reduced which makes access much easier from bristol and surrounding areas. The same from the midlands as the m50 joins the a40 at Ross.

Public transport access on the other hand is not so good, I guess the only options are an hour long valleys line train from Cardiff or a 40 min bus journey.

I'm as sceptical about this as anyone but I am not sure access is something that would be the cause of failure.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@brianatab, Laughing Laughing Laughing you clearly don't realise that for basically Bristol down to Cornwall, Merthyr is a good hour or so closer than any other snowdome. For me in Exeter it takes nudging 4hrs to get to either MK or Hemel, I can be at Merthyr inside 2hrs. It's an absolute doddle to get to, whereas MK is a massive PITA and Hemel involves the crapshoot of the M25
latest report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, Not just West country. I live in North Oxfordshire. I can get to MK or Hemel in an hour, but I would happily drive the 2 hours it takes to get to Merthyr for a much bigger slope.
snow report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, Apologies, didn't think of your part of the world, and access to other snowdomes.
I do recall a very long drive from Methyr to Brixham 3 years ago.

My other point about this site it that I don't think it will be run in the same way as MK, Hemmel and Cfe, which are built near residential/retail areas in order to attract the local populations.

This will be based in a Holiday park type setting, much like Centre Parks. The facilities are for the use of paying guests, who book part, or full weeks. They are not available to day visitors.

If you watch the videos on the above links, you will see that they intend to build a fairly exclusive (and probably expensive) spa and Hotel. Along with the other guests in the Lodges and Yurts etc, this will probably be their intended target customer. They will expect customers to pay a premium for access to the biggest indoor slope in Europe.

Along with the times allocated to the training for athletes, I don't think the general public will be welcome.
snow report
@brianatab, I think it'll be a spa hotel and a ski place, two things kept largely separate but to increase chance of revenue for the site. The whole boutique and expensive skiing thing won't work because people with the money can just got abroad and people certainly don't book a week of indoor skiing. These types of business need footfall and will absolutely need daytrippers, of which there are a large number in a 2hr drive.

And Merthyr to Brixham should only be about 2hr 40, unless you're doing it in the summer when grockle traffic makes everything hard work.
ski holidays
Was this originally posted on April 1st?????
latest report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, Bit off topic, but was middle of May. was camping at Cefn Coed, just north of Merthyr. Took best part of 2 hours just to get to Bristol. rolling eyes
We had a very long dry spell, then the weather broke the weekend I chose to go to the Brecons. Got tent up, went to chip shop for supper and the rain started. Didn't stop for weeks. Never even saw the Brecons. Low cloud, vis only about 100ft. Wasn't going to solo climb any Mountains for the first time in those conditions.
latest report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@brianatab, Laughing Laughing Laughing you clearly don't realise that for basically Bristol down to Cornwall, Merthyr is a good hour or so closer than any other snowdome. For me in Exeter it takes nudging 4hrs to get to either MK or Hemel, I can be at Merthyr inside 2hrs. It's an absolute doddle to get to, whereas MK is a massive PITA and Hemel involves the crapshoot of the M25

It would be an hour closer to us in Somerset than Hemel, and that would also be true for about 5 million in the South West
snow report
90 minutes from here - that's very doable for a morning or afternoon!

Compares very reasonably with 94 minutes to Tamworth; and just over two hours each to Milton Keynes and Hemel Hempstead.
latest report
Thirty-six mins from Chez Golf Very Happy
snow report
Hope this goes ahead and is accessible to the public (surely?) but we shouldn’t confuse getting planning permission with the project actually being implemented !
ski holidays
@Peter S, Exactly. I live in Afan Forest Park (who knew, not me!) 3 mins from Afan Argoed which has some wonderful mountain biking and walking. I wish I had a quid for every next best thing coming to the valley that didn't.
snow report
brianatab wrote:
@SnoodlesMcFlude, Apologies, didn't think of your part of the world, and access to other snowdomes.
I do recall a very long drive from Methyr to Brixham 3 years ago.

My other point about this site it that I don't think it will be run in the same way as MK, Hemmel and Cfe, which are built near residential/retail areas in order to attract the local populations.

Ahem, its right by trago mills, various retails parks, the lesuire centre, cinema, nandos, etc. Smack on the edge of town.
I believe there is also planned residential for that side of dual carriageway as well.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy